New York, NY - Verizon - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1288 Old 08-16-2008, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a notice yesterday that my building is being wired for FIOS on Monday. AFAIK, this means FIOS TV will be available in my home more or less immediately. Is there anyone in this thread who has yet reported having FIOS in Manhattan?

I'm heavily leaning towards making the switch from TWC for the following reasons:

1) much more expansive HD offerings (particularly the secondary feeds of the premium movie channels);

2) the hope of better picture quality (a brief bit of reading has given me the impression that there is generally less compression on FIOS);

3) faster internet speeds (not sure about this one); and

4) to give my business to someone other than TWC.

Two things might hold me back. First, the absence of MSG HD. I'm not a Knicks or Mets fan, but I am a big sports fan so I will be missing a lot of MLB and NBA in HD. However, I'm hopeful that the FCC will soon clean up this nonsense and FIOS will begin carrying the HD feed. I don't believe my MLB extra innings package will be transferable to FIOS so I might wait until October.

Also, I'm going to have to do some research on the DVR hardware and software. I'd be surprised to find out that what FIOS offers doesn't measure up to TWC, but I'll want to look into it first.

Off to read other FIOS related threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1288 Old 08-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEli173 View Post

I don't believe my MLB extra innings package will be transferable to FIOS so I might wait until October.

Did FIOS even get the sports packages yet?
post #273 of 1288 Old 08-16-2008, 07:59 AM

I think so (not NFL). Can anyone confirm?
post #274 of 1288 Old 08-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

The Mets have their own network SNY which FiOS has in HD. It's been years since MSG carried the Mets, so the only teams you would miss would be the hockey teams in HD and the Knicks.
post #275 of 1288 Old 08-16-2008, 09:52 AM

Right. Whoops.
post #276 of 1288 Old 08-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

No problem. Even though I only truly follow the Yanks, it's a mistake anybody could make. The bigger mistake would be to pay the Dolans more money considering the products they provide. You would be making the smart move to go to FiOS.
post #277 of 1288 Old 08-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Is there any problems with Fios TV Filters??. Do you need them??or not??Any one know??

ITS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT
post #278 of 1288 Old 08-17-2008, 08:04 AM

I can't wait till FIOS is in Flushing. I am getting so sick of Time Warner. Internet speed sucks and disconnects every 1-2hrs. Cable is so unpredictable. Audio constantly drops out, picture gets pixelated and choppy. Oh yea, and they keep increasing their prices but the service diminishes with each increase. Come on Verizon, HURRY UP!!!
post #279 of 1288 Old 08-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Was watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off the other night in beautiful OAR HD on one of the HBO-HD channels and audio/video signal was momentarily dropping out about every 30 seconds to a minute. Anyone else in NY area experiencing persistent audio/video drops/breaks on any of the new HBO-HD channels in the 900s?

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.
---Ray Bradbury
post #280 of 1288 Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 PM

Anybody recently order new FIOS service in Manhattan? They said they can't make an installation appointment until over a month away. Seems like a long time especially for a new building that is pre-wired.
post #281 of 1288 Old 08-20-2008, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGEL 35 View Post

Is there any problems with Fios TV Filters??. Do you need them??or not??Any one know??

Not sure what you mean by a "TV filter".
post #282 of 1288 Old 08-20-2008, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEli173 View Post

I just got a notice yesterday that my building is being wired for FIOS on Monday. AFAIK, this means FIOS TV will be available in my home more or less immediately. Is there anyone in this thread who has yet reported having FIOS in Manhattan?

I'm heavily leaning towards making the switch from TWC for the following reasons:

1) much more expansive HD offerings (particularly the secondary feeds of the premium movie channels);

2) the hope of better picture quality (a brief bit of reading has given me the impression that there is generally less compression on FIOS);

3) faster internet speeds (not sure about this one); and

4) to give my business to someone other than TWC.

Two things might hold me back. First, the absence of MSG HD. I'm not a Knicks or Mets fan, but I am a big sports fan so I will be missing a lot of MLB and NBA in HD. However, I'm hopeful that the FCC will soon clean up this nonsense and FIOS will begin carrying the HD feed. I don't believe my MLB extra innings package will be transferable to FIOS so I might wait until October.

Also, I'm going to have to do some research on the DVR hardware and software. I'd be surprised to find out that what FIOS offers doesn't measure up to TWC, but I'll want to look into it first.

Off to read other FIOS related threads.

FiOS does NO compression at all. The signal recieved from the providers is passed along directly thru the FiOS network.

Faster internet speeds is a funcion of which level of service you decide to purchase. There are 4 levels of service available, with the fastest FiOS pkg at 50/20.
post #283 of 1288 Old 08-22-2008, 09:02 AM

I would appreciate any insights from people in Manhattan that have switched from TWC to Verizon FIOS. I am moving into a (supposedly) pre-wired bulding and I am thinking about ditching TWC for Verizon FIOS for phone/internet/HDTV, but I know Verizon's customer service well, and I am hesitant. Any info would be appreciated.
post #284 of 1288 Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe newbie View Post

I would appreciate any insights from people in Manhattan that have switched from TWC to Verizon FIOS. I am moving into a (supposedly) pre-wired bulding and I am thinking about ditching TWC for Verizon FIOS for phone/internet/HDTV, but I know Verizon's customer service well, and I am hesitant. Any info would be appreciated.

There is ample information here and on dslreports. There are pro's and cons to all services, but FIOS blows away all competitors imho. No competition on quality. No competition on channel selection (SD & HD). DVR is a bit buggie at times, but solid overall.

Do your homework, but I am sure you will see that it is the right choice.
post #285 of 1288 Old 08-22-2008, 09:32 AM

Liked: 11
I am hesitant to switch to verizon since you have to sign up for a year with a hefty early cancellation fee. Is there a trial period? Will they waive the fee if you press them? Thanks
post #286 of 1288 Old 08-22-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antneye View Post

There is ample information here and on dslreports. There are pro's and cons to all services, but FIOS blows away all competitors imho. No competition on quality. No competition on channel selection (SD & HD). DVR is a bit buggie at times, but solid overall.

Do your homework, but I am sure you will see that it is the right choice.

Thanks. I'll take some more time to search. And I've found that my TWC DVR is still buggy, too, so that may be a wash.
post #287 of 1288 Old 08-24-2008, 10:54 AM

I'm interested in knowing the price of everyone's first bill if that's available with taxes, fees, and of course sir charge. If the second bill is available I would also like to know. I'm thinking of getting the $95 package with the one year agreement(Cable,internet, Phone).

Don't do it to yourself, do it to others
post #288 of 1288 Old 08-25-2008, 12:48 AM

I've been waiting for FIOS for years and really can't wait to dump TWC. The only thing stopping me from doing so is the absence of MSNBC from the FIOS lineup...in an election year like this one, I really can't live without it (and the forthcoming addition of Rachel Maddow's show will just make things all that sweeter). MSNBC seems like a really standard channel that every cable system in the universe carries (to balance out Fox News, if nothing else), so I'm mystified by its absence. Do we know much yet about Verizon's willingness to add channels/responsiveness to subscriber requests to do so?

In any event, once the election is behind us, the temptation may prove too strong to resist. We'll see...
post #289 of 1288 Old 08-25-2008, 04:38 AM

Does Verizon not carry msnbc at all? Or just not in HD?
post #290 of 1288 Old 08-25-2008, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjnyc View Post

I've been waiting for FIOS for years and really can't wait to dump TWC. The only thing stopping me from doing so is the absence of MSNBC from the FIOS lineup...in an election year like this one, I really can't live without it (and the forthcoming addition of Rachel Maddow's show will just make things all that sweeter). MSNBC seems like a really standard channel that every cable system in the universe carries (to balance out Fox News, if nothing else), so I'm mystified by its absence. Do we know much yet about Verizon's willingness to add channels/responsiveness to subscriber requests to do so?

In any event, once the election is behind us, the temptation may prove too strong to resist. We'll see...

The Dolans/Cablevision have an exclusive contract with MSNBC in the NY area. Nobody knows when the current contract runs out. This topic hs been covered in other VZ programming threads if you want to check it out further.
I do not regret switching to VZ at all - forget MSNBC - check it on the WEB if you enjoy their leftist communist liberal Obama- worshipin' commentary (just half-kidding ! )
post #291 of 1288 Old 08-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

I second that. You can easily get the complete show podcasts within 2 hours or so of the end of the show. Just use your favorite podcast receiver.
post #292 of 1288 Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 PM

If the Dolans and Cablevision have an exclusive deal w/ MSNBC, how is TWC able to include the channel?
post #293 of 1288 Old 08-25-2008, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...c#post10383222 posts 141 et seq. There has been posts sprinkled throughout AVS but i found this one with a quick search
post #294 of 1288 Old 08-25-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjnyc View Post

If the Dolans and Cablevision have an exclusive deal w/ MSNBC, how is TWC able to include the channel?

TWC's footprint doesnt impact cablevisions footprint

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
Melinda.Witmer@twcable.com
post #295 of 1288 Old 08-25-2008, 01:49 PM

Just moved into a newly constructed building but I'm not sure if Verizon got it's hands on it yet to wire anything.

However, what happens if half the people in our building choose the status quo with TWC and others like myself want Verizon? Does it have to be a whole building decision or can it be wired individually for each apartment?
post #296 of 1288 Old 08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

I completely understand the frustration with MSNBC. Here is where you need to let that whole net neutrality thing work in your favor. Verizon's got fast speeds and just suck up the whole MSNBC debacle with Cablevision and sock it the Dolan's by going to FiOS. Eventually Verizon will have the clout to get that channel. The best way to go about it is to keep the money out of the Dolan's hands.
post #297 of 1288 Old 08-25-2008, 06:07 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcustom123 View Post

Just moved into a newly constructed building but I'm not sure if Verizon got it's hands on it yet to wire anything.

However, what happens if half the people in our building choose the status quo with TWC and others like myself want Verizon? Does it have to be a whole building decision or can it be wired individually for each apartment?

VZ needs permission from the building owners to build. Contact your management group and tell them that as a paying tenant you want FIOS.
post #298 of 1288 Old 08-26-2008, 07:06 AM

The agreement must be ending soon because there has been a lot of chatter around the net about new negotiations.

Verizon has filed with the FCC a complaint against Cablevision over their refusal to allow broadcast of the MSG HD channels and FSNY HD, which CV owns.

The more people that switch away from CV, the better. Nothing makes corporate America wake up than changes in the cash flow.
post #299 of 1288 Old 08-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfdblue View Post

nothing makes corporate america wake up than changes in the cash flow.

Indeed!
post #300 of 1288 Old 08-26-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Anyone who received there "free" digital adapters notice that August's bill no longer shows them as a charge/credit ?
They're (I have 2) not even listed anywhere on the bill.

Also, I had signed up in March for the 3 pack @ 2 yrs @ $99.95/mo and now it's dropped down to $94.95/mo. That , of course, is a good thing.

Oh, and one more : I had the movie package and HBO @ $31.99/mo and now they added Cinemax @ $29.99 for all 3.
With all the new HD channels, this is a great deal !!

"Talk to me Goose"
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page