Old 10-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post

Just got version 1.06 upgrade. Movie cast is now shown when pressing "INFO" twice, more widgets along with other minor guide upgrades.

Did they add the HD to the multi-room DVR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Did they add the HD to the multi-room DVR?

Yes. Can stream HD to other HD boxes.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:36 AM

Liked: 10
Is there a way to tell if you have multi-room HDVR or just a regular DVR? Mine came with no instruction manual so even if it did stream to other rooms I would have no idea how to use that feature.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Old 10-14-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcustom123 View Post

Is there a way to tell if you have multi-room HDVR or just a regular DVR? Mine came with no instruction manual so even if it did stream to other rooms I would have no idea how to use that feature.

It's a feature you have to order. 19.99 a month instead of the 15.99 you pay for the non mr dvr. All boxes can be a mrdvr, if you order the service.

To use it you simply click the DVR button on your non-dvr boxes. If it works, you are seeing your DVR, if not it will say the feature is not enabled.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 PM

Is there any reason to get multiple DVR boxes if you have the one MR DVR? The only one I can think of is that you have more than 2 shows you want to record at the same time (it happens).

Can you add external storage to the MR DVR so you can hold more programming?

Side question: can you have 2 MR DVRs and access each from the other? Or do the MR DVRs only stream to non-DVR boxes?
Old 10-17-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwanfong View Post

Is there any reason to get multiple DVR boxes if you have the one MR DVR? The only one I can think of is that you have more than 2 shows you want to record at the same time (it happens).

Can you add external storage to the MR DVR so you can hold more programming?

Side question: can you have 2 MR DVRs and access each from the other? Or do the MR DVRs only stream to non-DVR boxes?

Soon you will be able to stream between DVR's (I think), but for now only one can be considered a hub. I only have one DVR and 2 other regular boxes.

Pro: Stream to all boxes from the MRDVR. No need to think about which box to tape on.

Con1: Other boxes are NOT DVR's, cant pause live tv.
Con2: We often have need to tape more than 2 shows since we have kids.

Even with the 2 cons I love the mrdvr.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got the Verizon FiOS Triple Freedom package installed in Manhattan recently, so I thought I'd share my experience.

Installation was a bit painful in that it took 3+ hours. But the techs were knowledgeable and competent. I'm just not used to such lengthy installations. That said, problems prevented the phone portion from getting set up successfully. They will have to return to finish that.

Internet speeds seem to consistently test out at their quoted speeds. But I wasn't thrilled about using the wireless router built into the FiOS modem. I had a whole bunch of security settings already set up in my Linksys router. I did try turning off the wireless on the FiOS modem and connecting the Linksys router to it. With some finagling, it did work, but resulted in odd performance issues, so I ditched that approach. So far, the FiOS wireless router has been fine and the software user interface for it is respectable enough. Though if I ever wanted 802.11n, I'd have to revisit piggybacking another wireless router.

TV picture quality is good but no better than TWC here, in my opinion. The HD channels look comparable and I actually prefer the SD picture on TWC. The FiOS SD picture is a little bit less pixel-y but also a little too soft for my tastes. Just personal preference though. Of course FiOS offers far more HD channels than TWC, so I will probably be watching less SD. And the number of premium movie channels available is staggering. Though as a big sports fan, I'm still a little miffed about losing MSG-HD.

When I first saw the Motorola DVR box, I got scared (bad past experiences with Motorola cable boxes) but my fears were unfounded. This one is fairly responsive to commands though maybe not quite as much as the Scientific Atlanta box from TWC. The DVR software otherwise feels like an improvement from TWC's. Certainly far more options and features. One minor quibble is that when you toggle through aspect ratios, there is no on-screen display of which choices are available and what you have chosen. Another is that the DVR software is not displayed in widescreen so you get the black bars on the sides when in the Guide, Menu, etc.

Two cables cards installed on my S3 Tivo without much trouble, which is saying something. The only major issue I ran into was not Verizon's fault. Tivo doesn't currently have FiOS as a provider option in my zip code so it took a few painfully s-l-o-w trial and error attempts to find a suitable alternative zip code to get the correct Guide information downloaded. I could be imagining it but changing channels feels slightly more responsive on the Tivo with Verizon's Motorola cable cards than with TWC's Scientific Atlanta cards.

And my phone portion is still pending.

I'm still reserving final judgment, but if you can suffer through the installation and setup, it does seem to mostly deliver as promised. Your mileage may vary of course.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:03 AM
dgk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in Flushing and have seen no sign of FIOS. I'm trying to figure out whether to commit to two more years with Time Warner. Anyone know when FIOS may arrive?

On the subject of internet access, I run a few very low usage web sites on a home computer using Roadrunner. It's probably against the terms of service but no one seems to care. Does FIOS allow home users to have websites?

Finally (back to TV), I have a Tivo HD. I read on some thread that the FIOS program guide doesn't work on Tivo. Is that true? That would be a killer.

Any comment on the cable phone service (from TW or Verizon)? Right now I have Verizon local service and would like to dump it.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk View Post

I'm in Flushing and have seen no sign of FIOS. I'm trying to figure out whether to commit to two more years with Time Warner. Anyone know when FIOS may arrive?

On the subject of internet access, I run a few very low usage web sites on a home computer using Roadrunner. It's probably against the terms of service but no one seems to care. Does FIOS allow home users to have websites?

Finally (back to TV), I have a Tivo HD. I read on some thread that the FIOS program guide doesn't work on Tivo. Is that true? That would be a killer.

Any comment on the cable phone service (from TW or Verizon)? Right now I have Verizon local service and would like to dump it.

Thanks for any help.

Verizon blocks port 80 on all residential internet access accounts, so no home web server for you.

FiOS works fine with TiVo HD, but as with all cable services, you will not be able to access on-demand services through your TiVo, and you will need to call in to order PPV. But then you already know this.

Verizon FiOS phone service is nothing short of stellar. It's as clear as can be expected, and very reliable. Bear in mind both Verizon FiOS Phone and TWC Digital Voice are powered by your home current, not self-powered as copper phone lines are. Verizon provides a battery back-up solution in the case of power outages, but you are responsible for maintaining the battery. Once you go FiOS, you will be unable to revert to Verizon's copper phone service (they actually cut the copper line servicing your home, and I don't think they will re-attach it under any circumstances.)

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
Old 10-21-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk View Post

For what it's worth, I have been seeing a lot of Verizon trucks driving around near Kissena Blvd. and Main Street. I would hold off on getting into a contract with TW.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

If anybody here is from Woodbridge Twp., NJ, parts of the township served out of the Woodbridge and Perth Amboy COs have FiOS available to them.

This includes parts of:

Port Reading
Woodbridge Proper
Fords
Iselin
Keasbey, and other places that I might not know of.

Fiber is along Oak Tree Road and Rt 27 according to 2 Verizon techs I spoke with in Iselin today.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:22 PM
dgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAlert View Post

For what it's worth, I have been seeing a lot of Verizon trucks driving around near Kissena Blvd. and Main Street. I would hold off on getting into a contract with TW.

That's pretty close, I'd better hold off.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 PM
dgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

Verizon blocks port 80 on all residential internet access accounts, so no home web server for you.

Hmm. Not good but if FiOS is that much better than TW then maybe worth it. Dyndns.com allows port redirection which should work although I'll have to read it at least a few more times to understand what I'd need to do. Also, TW can decide to block it any time they want; I'm surprised they haven't.

Another question then. How often does the FiOS IP address change or is it fixed? TW (Roadrunner) is technically dynamic but it only changes once a year or so.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac99 View Post

Just got the Verizon FiOS Triple Freedom package installed in Manhattan recently, so I thought I'd share my experience.

Installation was a bit painful in that it took 3+ hours. But the techs were knowledgeable and competent. I'm just not used to such lengthy installations. That said, problems prevented the phone portion from getting set up successfully. They will have to return to finish that.

Internet speeds seem to consistently test out at their quoted speeds. But I wasn't thrilled about using the wireless router built into the FiOS modem. I had a whole bunch of security settings already set up in my Linksys router. I did try turning off the wireless on the FiOS modem and connecting the Linksys router to it. With some finagling, it did work, but resulted in odd performance issues, so I ditched that approach. So far, the FiOS wireless router has been fine and the software user interface for it is respectable enough. Though if I ever wanted 802.11n, I'd have to revisit piggybacking another wireless router.

TV picture quality is good but no better than TWC here, in my opinion. The HD channels look comparable and I actually prefer the SD picture on TWC. The FiOS SD picture is a little bit less pixel-y but also a little too soft for my tastes. Just personal preference though. Of course FiOS offers far more HD channels than TWC, so I will probably be watching less SD. And the number of premium movie channels available is staggering. Though as a big sports fan, I'm still a little miffed about losing MSG-HD.

When I first saw the Motorola DVR box, I got scared (bad past experiences with Motorola cable boxes) but my fears were unfounded. This one is fairly responsive to commands though maybe not quite as much as the Scientific Atlanta box from TWC. The DVR software otherwise feels like an improvement from TWC's. Certainly far more options and features. One minor quibble is that when you toggle through aspect ratios, there is no on-screen display of which choices are available and what you have chosen. Another is that the DVR software is not displayed in widescreen so you get the black bars on the sides when in the Guide, Menu, etc.

Two cables cards installed on my S3 Tivo without much trouble, which is saying something. The only major issue I ran into was not Verizon's fault. Tivo doesn't currently have FiOS as a provider option in my zip code so it took a few painfully s-l-o-w trial and error attempts to find a suitable alternative zip code to get the correct Guide information downloaded. I could be imagining it but changing channels feels slightly more responsive on the Tivo with Verizon's Motorola cable cards than with TWC's Scientific Atlanta cards.

And my phone portion is still pending.

I'm still reserving final judgment, but if you can suffer through the installation and setup, it does seem to mostly deliver as promised. Your mileage may vary of course.

Hello,
I just had FIOS installed last week. I agree with you that the SD picture is way to soft. There is a fix in progress. When Verizon sent out its new 1.6 firmware upgrade the SD picture was degraded. Some people are saying that the quality of HD & SD were effected by the upgrade. I agree with you about the HD quality, I actually think Time Warners HD picture quality is sharper than FIOS. Do you agree? I have also had some problems with the Motorolla Box having HDMI handshaking issues with my Samsung 650.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

Hello,
I just had FIOS installed last week. I agree with you that the SD picture is way to soft. There is a fix in progress. When Verizon sent out its new 1.6 firmware upgrade the SD picture was degraded. Some people are saying that the quality of HD & SD were effected by the upgrade. I agree with you about the HD quality, I actually think Time Warners HD picture quality is sharper than FIOS. Do you agree? I have also had some problems with the Motorolla Box having HDMI handshaking issues with my Samsung 650.

I thought the HD pictures were very close but since my comparison was from memory, I wouldn't be surprised to find the TWC's picture a bit sharper in a side-by-side comparison. But again, it wasn't an easily noticeable, if any, difference like it was with SD.

Using component cables with my Moto box so can't help you with your HDMI issue.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I dont understand, shouldnt FIOS's HD be so much better than TWCs, less compression. Am I wrong here.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

I don't find FIOS HD softer than TWC. Just the opposite, if anything I find it sharper and cleaner. I do remember that I did some minor tweaking with pic setting since it was darker than TWC. Can't comment much on the SD since I try to avoid those channels.

Could it be the box? What cable box do you guys have? I have the Moto QIP-6200-2. No DVR for me. HDMI.

Jose.

Jose.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

I have the DVR version of this Box . Try watching football on sunday and look at all the graphics displays on the screen. TWCs were clearer and the overall long shot pics were clearer. I have a Panasonic 58" Plasma. You may be write about the non DVR box, because I have that set in my bedroom and I do agree, that pic does look better. But that Set is a Samsung, and that has all kinds of HDMI handshaking issues.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

I dont understand, shouldnt FIOS's HD be so much better than TWCs, less compression. Am I wrong here.

After having FIOS for 2 weeks now I can honestly say the compression issues between TWC and FIOS is WAY OVERBLOWN! Plus Verizon has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with! I should know I used to work for there business group.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac99 View Post

TV picture quality is good but no better than TWC here, in my opinion. The HD channels look comparable and I actually prefer the SD picture on TWC. The FiOS SD picture is a little bit less pixel-y but also a little too soft for my tastes. Just personal preference though.

Appreciate the comprehensive install outline. Awaiting FIOS in our midtown- East building.

Meanwhile, since TWC's full cable package was delaying new HDs, I added RCN's full HD lineup since I've got both cables coming in. Did the same a few years back, for only a year or so, when RCN had more HDs. It is nice to have the ability to DVR several programs at once. Yesterday at this location RCN went to its so-called analog-crush lineup , about 75 HDs, although still lacking several.

Surprised, with all the comments about FIOS not altering the programmer's bit rate, that TWC's SD picture quality seems better there. Guess it's a combination of how many channels are being jammed into each frequency slot , how good the program-source PQ is, and what various STBs can deliver. As noted in that link, someone at TWC has mapped all its channels in a spreadsheet, just updated . HDNet's Saturday 10 am ET test pattern might provide another clue to PQ comparing FIOS with TWC and RCN. The DCT6416/2300 DVR RCN installed last week delivered slightly less-crisp HDNet test pattern images than older Motorola DVRs did a few years back (~1246 lines versus ~1335 lines). Plan on DVRing HDNet's 10-minute patterns this Saturday to see in the new RCN analog-crush lineup switched in yesterday has changed that.

Nationwide, some AVSers report measuring nearly 1920X1080 from the pattern, but many can only resolve <1400 lines horizontally, including a few using FIOS (different U.S. head ends). A true-1080p set is best for such a test, but even a 1366X768 display, if it can't show a crisp 1366 horizontally, tells you the cable system or STB is limiting resolution--on HDNet's channel slot at least and likely elsewhere on the system. A true-1080p set resolution could be mostly confirmed with the resolution-wedge test patterns on Sony Blue-ray movie discs--or another known test pattern such as a HD test DVD or pattern generator. Perhaps some FIOS user will map their channels in a spreadsheet and measure HDNet's test pattern to aid comparisons. -- John
Old 10-23-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:

I have the DVR version of this Box . Try watching football on sunday and look at all the graphics displays on the screen. TWCs were clearer and the overall long shot pics were clearer. I have a Panasonic 58" Plasma. You may be write about the non DVR box, because I have that set in my bedroom and I do agree, that pic does look better. But that Set is a Samsung, and that has all kinds of HDMI handshaking issues.

Quote:

After having FIOS for 2 weeks now I can honestly say the compression issues between TWC and FIOS is WAY OVERBLOWN! Plus Verizon has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with! I should know I used to work for there business group.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:31 AM

A couple of observations after having FIOS installed (Bayside, Queens) in my townhouse:

-picture quality is fairly comparable to TWC on HD sources, and of lesser quality on SD sources
-despite repeated attempts to connect my HD Tivo, I opted to use the FIOS DVR because of pixelization and macroblocking.
-using my Yamaha RV 1800 audio seems more dynamic with FIOS.
-internet is considerably and consistently faster over TWC
- phone service works as expected.

The big advantage that FIOS has over TWC is more HD channels, initial lower cost, and higher internet speeds. Plus I had a much better customer support and service experience with Verizon. If one is contemplating switching to FIOS solely based on PQ, it is not worth it in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychmon View Post

If one is contemplating switching to FIOS solely based on PQ, it is not worth it in my opinion.

Wow, starting to hear that a lot.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychmon View Post

A couple of observations after having FIOS installed (Bayside, Queens) in my townhouse:

-picture quality is fairly comparable to TWC on HD sources, and of lesser quality on SD sources
-despite repeated attempts to connect my HD Tivo, I opted to use the FIOS DVR because of pixelization and macroblocking.
-using my Yamaha RV 1800 audio seems more dynamic with FIOS.
-internet is considerably and consistently faster over TWC
- phone service works as expected.

The big advantage that FIOS has over TWC is more HD channels, initial lower cost, and higher internet speeds. Plus I had a much better customer support and service experience with Verizon. If one is contemplating switching to FIOS solely based on PQ, it is not worth it in my opinion.

Ditto, Plus you cant beat the savings.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

[quote= If one is contemplating switching to FIOS solely based on PQ, it is not worth it in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Based on PQ alone, of course it's not worth switching. Cable PQ can only be so much better. Saving about $40 over TWC, 100+ HD channels in Manhattan, and faster interner speeds, IT'S A NO BRAINER!!!!

I've lived with TWC the past 30+ years in Manhattan. I didn't care if they promised to roll out more channels at the year's end, blah blah blah. Before switching, I called TWC to see if they would offer me a better price because of FIOS. Their offer was a whopping $7.00 off and acted like they were doing me a favor. WTF!!!!!

Jose.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

"Based on PQ alone, of course it's not worth switching. Cable PQ can only be so much better."

Cable PQ canbe a lot better!

A lot has to do with the amount of compression used. From what I have read and heard from engineers, FiOS, of all major providers, is as close as you can get to the original signal coming from a cable network or a local station.

It also depends on your ability to discern a difference.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:50 PM

Don't give up on your Tivo HD with Fios.I've read that problems like the ones you described are caused by a Fios signal that's too "hot"....too strong...for the Tivo to handle.It's said that one or more attenuators fix the problem nicely.And for the record my Tivo HD works flawlessly with Fios (and without any attenuators).
Old 10-24-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post

Don't give up on your Tivo HD with Fios.I've read that problems like the ones you described are caused by a Fios signal that's too "hot"....too strong...for the Tivo to handle.It's said that one or more attenuators fix the problem nicely.And for the record my Tivo HD works flawlessly with Fios (and without any attenuators).

In my case the fios technicians came over several times with different attenuators and filters but to no avail. They would solve a problem affecting one channel but another channel would crop up with visual artifacts. After hours of repeated attempts, I decided to nix the tivo in favor of their DVR, and now all is well .... although the Tivo box is a superior product.