Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1288 Old 12-25-2008, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattan12345 View Post

Yep, MSNBC is on FIOS Manhattan on ch. 103. Don't know where the HD version will go when the network launches in Spring 2009, but currently CNN HD is on 600 and Fox News HD is (I think) 604.

Provision of MSNBC might tip me to FIOS in lower Manhattan. Can you provide an approximate date it became available ? I want that in hand and a condition of contract when I speak to their sales rep. I've decided I can live without NY1 which is highly repetitive and I can watch hockey in SD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1288 Old 12-26-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsimms View Post

Provision of MSNBC might tip me to FIOS in lower Manhattan. Can you provide an approximate date it became available ? I want that in hand and a condition of contract when I speak to their sales rep. I've decided I can live without NY1 which is highly repetitive and I can watch hockey in SD.

Sorry, not sure when it became available. I signed up with FIOS in August of this year and it's always been on the system for me. (I'm in the Yorkville area, and I know TW differs between upper and lower Manhattan, with their strange 79th/86th Sts. delineations but I don't know if FIOS differs? (I thought I was going to miss NY1 too, btw, but other than the regularly scheduled weather info, I've found I really haven't.)
post #453 of 1288 Old 12-26-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The West 79th Street and the East 86th Street delineations go back to when there there were different franchises in force in Manhattan - before Time Warner Cable ruled all of Manhattan!

They have absolutely nothing to do with FiOS.
post #454 of 1288 Old 12-26-2008, 05:04 PM

Thanks guys. I've been with TW since it was Sterling Manhattan (founded by Ch Dolan of course). FIOS came to my building this summer. Had to rule it out til after the election cycle with no MSNBC. Now it appears I could have had it all along.

Aren't TW and CV presently negotiating to renew their cable franchises with the city? CV has no possible argument denying MSNBC in Manhattan. There is water separating us from from CV country. No possible reason for us not getting MSG-HD as well. Unless CV is in cahoots with TW.

FIOS gets installed Monday afternoon. I was surprised by the speed of the appointment. They wanted to come Sunday morning.
post #455 of 1288 Old 12-30-2008, 10:34 AM

The installation took longer than anticipated and wasn't actually finished until my phone was programmed over, off-site, this morning.

Video is just awesome. The HDMI implementation on the Moto box is better. With TW's SciAtl 8300 HD, I wasn't able to handle Slingbox with HDMI connected and was forced to return to component. Now, with Slingbox running, my HDMI screen just goes blank when Sling is on. It's not perfect but usable.

On the WAN side, I am averaging about 19500 on the downstream and 4600 on the up. My Vonage line took a little time to negotiate with the Actiontec MI424wr Rev D router but now works flawlessly. No additional router input was required.

The main disappointment is the wireless piece. Have to be just about right next to the router to use it. I'll be bridging my TrendNet. In the broad scheme of things, this is a small complaint. But considering the perceived overall quality of equipment and service, 24 hours later, Verizon should have done better with the router.

Off to TW 23rd Street with a bag of boxes.
post #456 of 1288 Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 AM

(I posted this over on the TWC thread, but it's worthwhile to duplicate it here.)

I am scheduled to have FIOS installed in my apartment next week.

I thought it might be helpful for others contemplating the switch to share my list of pros and cons. This is how I see the issues generally speaking. I've noted in brackets how they related to me personally.

HD Picture Compression: [A pretty big deal to me.]
FIOS passes on signals as is from the station. Currently in Southern Manhattan TWC adds compression to all (maybe most) of the HD feeds. I'm not sure if this is different in areas of the city where analog has been shut off but I would like to hear the answer. (Apparently) Edge FIOS.

SD Picture Quality: [A small deal to me.]
FIOS reportedly has some of the best available SD picture quality. Edge to FIOS.

HD DVR Equipment: [Somewhat moot.]
AFAIK the standard FIOS HD DVR (made by Motorola) has some shortcomings compared to the SA8300HD running Passport. Up against Navigator the issue is not so clear to me, but the TWC set up probably still wins out. Note that Passport will be gone sooner or later. FIOS also offers the Home Media DVR which can stream recorded content (including HD) to other STB's, but doesn't give those STB's full DVR functionality (i.e. can't pause or record live TV viewing the slave STB). IMO the home media dvr is a good concept but has not been comprehensively executed so it doesn't make up for FIOS's other shortcomings, therefor I'm giving the edge to TWC.

[But, I'm switching to a TIVO for the living room leaving me with a provider DVR only in the non-critical bedroom, so the issue is minor for me.]

Non-DVR HD equipment: [Moot]
I have no idea about this.

TIVO Related Charges: [Small factor.]
TWC charges $1.75/month for a CableCARD and has multi-stream cards available. FIOS charges $3.99/month and (according to the rep I spoke with) does not yet have M-Cards available in Manhattan so TIVO users will need to rent two CC's per unit. Total CC related costs of running a TIVO on TWC is $1.75/month. On FIOS the cost is $8/month. Edge TWC.
[Note but, I talked the rep into giving me the cards for free for the first year, and I have confidence that after that they will either have the M-Cards in Mahattan or cut me a break and charge for just one.]

Channel Guide: [Somewhat moot.]
The FIOS guide is terrible. The guide data on Passport is pretty good for a cable company. I'm not sure if Navigator boxes get the same guide data as Passport. Edge TWC.

HD lineups: [Very important.]
Here is a very helpful comparison. I'll add to that list that FIOS has its own HD VOD. There is too much personal preference here to declare an objective winner.

[As a big sports fan I'll miss MSG HD but I'm not a fan of the particular teams carried on MSG so it's not devastating. The West Coast feeds of the premium channels on FIOS ain't a bad thing, nor is the NFL Network.]

SD lineups. [Not too important.]
Just a few notes ... NY1 only on TWC, a big deal to some. For sports fans, FIOS does not have the NBA League Pass (however, the NBA League Pass Broadband service is quite good as an alternative) but does have the packages for NHL and MLB.

HD VOD:
I'm not familiar with the quality or variety of offerings on either system. Note that HD On Demand via TWC is not available on the 8300HD so that means sacrificing some of the HD DVR advantage TWC holds over FIOS. Not enough info to make a judgment (can anyone else weigh in?).

[This is not a big deal to me since I won't have VOD via Tivo.]

SD VOD:
Who cares?

Internet.
FIOS standard service is 20 mbps download, 5 mbps upload. TWC standard service is 10/5. I haven't experienced the difference, but I understand this is a palpable edge to FIOS. (One other note, the FIOS equipment is a joint modem/wireless router so there is no cost of owning and maintaining your own router.)

Costs. [Always a big deal!]
Everyone's package is different. Based on my personal situation, FIOS appears to have a big Edge.

[My service includes cable, internet, the premium channel bundle (HBO, Starz, SHO, Cine.), HD Extra tier, two DVR's, and internet. My TWC bill would normally cost $192/month but comes to $161/month after a 20% discount they offered me upon my threat some months ago to jump ship to FIOS. Similar service on FIOS would be $141/month; or as alternative I could do the home media DVR + STB for $129/month for the first year and $137 thereafter. Since I'm implementing a Tivo my FIOS bill for the first year will be $125/month (not including deductions for introductory freebies which bring the average cost over the first twelve months down to $113 per). I expect that bill to rise after the first year by $4 to $129/month for the cost of renting a single cable card. The cost with a Tivo on TWC would be about $151/month.]
post #457 of 1288 Old 12-30-2008, 02:46 PM

On a programming note, I see that ESPN Desportes is available to me even though it is on the Spanish tier. They carried a fair number of games for World Baseball Classic a few years back.

As for the box and menuing, I suppose I like TWs better because I'm accustomed to it. Along the same line, I know where all of my channels are with TW and here I am hunting around for them with FIOS.

The FIOS box has a heck of a lot more options. The menuing is unfamiliar. I'll be used to it before long.
post #458 of 1288 Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 PM

Did the MLB network come on in Manhattan today? I thought it was supposed to go up on FIOS on 1/1/09 on ch. 586 but I'm not seeing it? Is it a premium station?
post #459 of 1288 Old 01-01-2009, 07:35 PM

86 in SD. HD may not be rolled out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattan12345 View Post

Did the MLB network come on in Manhattan today? I thought it was supposed to go up on FIOS on 1/1/09 on ch. 586 but I'm not seeing it? Is it a premium station?

post #460 of 1288 Old 01-05-2009, 06:52 PM

2 Questions:

First, is there another router option besides the MI424WR which everyone seems to complain has lousy range?

Second, do techs come with Cat 5 cable? I'd like to see if I can 'entice' the install guy to lay down a couple extra lines for me. Does that seem likely?
post #461 of 1288 Old 01-06-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEli173 View Post

2 Questions:

First, is there another router option besides the MI424WR which everyone seems to complain has lousy range?

Second, do techs come with Cat 5 cable? I'd like to see if I can 'entice' the install guy to lay down a couple extra lines for me. Does that seem likely?

If you can get a Motorola NIM-100, coax in, cat5 out, you can use your present router behind it. You need the coax in up front for VOD and program guide updates.

The only problem I've encountered with the Actiontec was on the wireless side. I solved it by turning off the radio and hooking up my existing wireless behind it in bridge mode. The Actiontec and my existing wireless are playing nicely together.
post #462 of 1288 Old 01-08-2009, 06:07 AM

Just received a call from my installation tech Andre. I'm his first customer in of the morning and he sees I ordered two cable cards for my TiVo. He wants to make sure the TiVo really needs two, so I try to straighten him out on what the options are. "I see, you need one to send and one to receive," he says, "only one of us down here at the shop has done a TiVo install before, and the customer ... he was like a computer geek so he showed the tech what to do." "No," I say, "It's not one to send and one to receive..."

I'm afraid I'm in for a long day.
post #463 of 1288 Old 01-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Just received a call from my installation tech Andre. I'm his first customer in of the morning and he sees I ordered two cable cards for my TiVo. He wants to make sure the TiVo really needs two, so I try to straighten him out on what the options are. "I see, you need one to send and one to receive," he says, "only one of us down here at the shop has done a TiVo install before, and the customer ... he was like a computer geek so he showed the tech what to do." "No," I say, "It's not one to send and one to receive..."

I'm afraid I'm in for a long day.

Hey, at least he called to check first.

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #464 of 1288 Old 01-08-2009, 06:59 AM

Absolutely true. He seems like a nice guy, this was certainly a nice gesture. I hope he is able to figure out my TiVo and various wireless devices that need to be networked.
post #465 of 1288 Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Absolutely true. He seems like a nice guy, this was certainly a nice gesture. I hope he is able to figure out my TiVo and various wireless devices that need to be networked.

My tech called to ensure he had the order right. It's probably standard procedure.

I don't know how much wireless setup he'll do for you beyond switching on the Actiontec. He won't want to deal with your present router. Mine has been up 10 days, nine with the radio off and a bridge to my better wireless router.
post #466 of 1288 Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 AM

There is some very good tech here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber
post #467 of 1288 Old 01-08-2009, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Limited availability of FiOS in Woodbridge Township. Woohoo!
post #468 of 1288 Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 AM

HAHAHA. Two techs were at my home yesterday from 10:30 to 7:30. They were each very nice and each had less than three weeks experience. Basically they had no idea what they were doing and completely in over their heads with what lay ahead.

About five hours in they reported to me that the hub in the basement was giving them trouble. There is one apartment in my building with working FIOS service, that apartment is hooked into a working hub, but I was assigned to a different one. It turns out this hub was reported broken after a failed installation attempt on Monday. Of course, that report never made it into the hand of the people that were handling my order and could have planned appropriately. The techs were unable to fix the broken hub or assign me to the working hub.

After nine hours the techs left having accomplished nothing but running the fiber line into my home. They assured me that engineering was coming overnight to fix the hub and they would be back in the morning. Neither of those things happened.

The billing department at Verizon has already offered to give me my first month free, but I still have no answers on when the install will resume.
post #469 of 1288 Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Anyone else notice how Vzn changed the NY area commercial with the Vzn tech, cable guy and the "Delivery guy".
Previouisly the delivery guy asked the Vzn guy what he had, then asked the cable guy ,who responded "we have stuff too".

Now it's been changed to the cable guy saying " best of intentions".
I wonder what prompted that ?

"Talk to me Goose"
post #470 of 1288 Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:

HAHAHA. Two techs were at my home yesterday from 10:30 to 7:30. They were each very nice and each had less than three weeks experience. Basically they had no idea what they were doing and completely in over their heads with what lay ahead.

About five hours in they reported to me that the hub in the basement was giving them trouble. There is one apartment in my building with working FIOS service, that apartment is hooked into a working hub, but I was assigned to a different one. It turns out this hub was reported broken after a failed installation attempt on Monday. Of course, that report never made it into the hand of the people that were handling my order and could have planned appropriately. The techs were unable to fix the broken hub or assign me to the working hub.

After nine hours the techs left having accomplished nothing but running the fiber line into my home. They assured me that engineering was coming overnight to fix the hub and they would be back in the morning. Neither of those things happened.

The billing department at Verizon has already offered to give me my first month free, but I still have no answers on when the install will resume.

My install took from 11:15 am to 10:45 pm. There is a final 200 ft fiber optic run along the upper molding from my apt to the hub in the far compactor room. Between unwinding the fiber and ducking the fiber nice and loose in the molding it's about an hour. The tech had 3 failed 200 footers. I got him to try a 250 footer. GOLD. Poor quality control on the 200 footers.
post #471 of 1288 Old 01-16-2009, 05:43 AM

Well, after a lot of phone calls I was able to get a second install attempt scheduled for yesterday. Very happily, the installation was successful, (although there were some hiccups along the way that gave me pause).

The experience was undoubtedly a frusterating one. The initial failure could have certainly been averted if the news of the broken hub had been acted upon prior to my original install date. And (I suspect) a solution on that first day would have been much more likely had Verizon not sent two incompetent and completely inexperienced techs to my home (after having a skilled tech on the job yesterday, it is all the more apparent how unqualified the original team was). And my anger could have been reduced if certain promises along the way had been satisfied. But I will say this, everyone I dealt with at Verizon, both on the phone and in my home, was patient, understanding, and very nice.

If there's anyone planning to sign up for service, I strongly advise that you get the name of a competent tech and call him first. The tech will then put in a referral with the order people which (I'm told) will get him assigned to your job (and earn him points in an amployee incentive system). You can PM for a name.

Anyway, onto the good stuff. I am delighted with the TV service. The HD quality is stunning, my TV's look transformed. There is no doubt this is a huge improvement over TWC. And I am overwhelmed by all the HD offerings.

However, I'm not sure my internet connection is all that it should be. My web surfing speeds seem the same as before, and I ran a couple speed tests that clocked me in at about 3-4 mps download. Something looks to be off.
post #472 of 1288 Old 01-16-2009, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Are the DVR boxs that VZ gives you any good?? Some one told me they get to hot and they can start a fire is this true?? Or is this BS.??

ITS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT
post #473 of 1288 Old 01-16-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGEL 35 View Post

Are the DVR boxs that VZ gives you any good?? Some one told me they get to hot and they can start a fire is this true?? Or is this BS.??

My STB is running 24/7. Hardly warm to the touch. The only preventive measure I take is I don't cover the the grill.
post #474 of 1288 Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGEL 35 View Post

That sounds like some B.S. the Dolans of Cablevision would spread!
post #475 of 1288 Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Well, after a lot of phone calls I was able to get a second install attempt scheduled for yesterday. Very happily, the installation was successful, (although there were some hiccups along the way that gave me pause).

The experience was undoubtedly a frusterating one. The initial failure could have certainly been averted if the news of the broken hub had been acted upon prior to my original install date. And (I suspect) a solution on that first day would have been much more likely had Verizon not sent two incompetent and completely inexperienced techs to my home (after having a skilled tech on the job yesterday, it is all the more apparent how unqualified the original team was). And my anger could have been reduced if certain promises along the way had been satisfied. But I will say this, everyone I dealt with at Verizon, both on the phone and in my home, was patient, understanding, and very nice.

If there's anyone planning to sign up for service, I strongly advise that you get the name of a competent tech and call him first. The tech will then put in a referral with the order people which (I'm told) will get him assigned to your job (and earn him points in an amployee incentive system). You can PM for a name.

Anyway, onto the good stuff. I am delighted with the TV service. The HD quality is stunning, my TV's look transformed. There is no doubt this is a huge improvement over TWC. And I am overwhelmed by all the HD offerings.

However, I'm not sure my internet connection is all that it should be. My web surfing speeds seem the same as before, and I ran a couple speed tests that clocked me in at about 3-4 mps download. Something looks to be off.

Internet Speed: LAN or WIFI ?

On my single LAN connection I get a fairly constant 19.5/4.6. With WIFI there is some variation based on conditions. Always test with a LAN connection.

Also, the WIFI piece on the Actiontec is awful. I turned off Actiontec's WIFI and bridged my previous wireless router behind it. Bridging the old router has actually improved performance on both.

Learning the new channel sequence was crazy for a couple weeks. It's all coming together as I head into week 4.
post #476 of 1288 Old 01-16-2009, 12:53 PM

Yes, WiFi, and I have seen rumblings elsewhere that the Aciontec is bad news. I'd like to bridge my airport express but haven't found clear instructions for doing so. Please share if you have.
post #477 of 1288 Old 01-16-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Yes, WiFi, and I have seen rumblings elsewhere that the Aciontec is bad news. I'd like to bridge my airport express but haven't found clear instructions for doing so. Please share if you have.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizo...tworking#16077

Third par down:

"┬ĚCan I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?"
post #478 of 1288 Old 01-16-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:

I'm assuming the Actiontec is Rev D ? It's on the router label. Otherwise you may have the small NAT table issue that affected earlier revisions and you may choose to go with one of the more complicated solutiions on the linked page. The good thing about having the Actiontec up front is that's where Verizon expects to see it and you lose no functionality.
post #479 of 1288 Old 01-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Word. Thanks for that. I'm hoping to give that setup a go over the weekend.

I called Verizon Tech support and they walked me through some setting changes for the Actionet that have definitely upped my speeds, but still only 10-14 mps, while I'm getting a consistent 19 mps via ethernet.
post #480 of 1288 Old 01-16-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Word. Thanks for that. I'm hoping to give that setup a go over the weekend.

I called Verizon Tech support and they walked me through some setting changes for the Actionet that have definitely upped my speeds, but still only 10-14 mps, while I'm getting a consistent 19 mps via ethernet.

Can you share the wireless info Verizon gave you? I have one LAN connection and multiple WIFI. I'd like to get max possible on the WIFI. Any changes to Actiontec settings ought to work across other brands.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page