Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1288 Old 06-25-2009, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Hmmm, the piece I read said 25/15 is the standard in NYC, but is an upgrade (extra charge) elsewhere.

AFAIK, new standard is :

10/2 -> 15/5 (all service areas)
20/5 -> 25/15 (all service areas)
20/20 -> upgraded to 35/20 in NYC only
50/20 -> No change

Upgrade from 10/5 to 15/5 - no charge
Upgrade from 10/5 to 25/15 - $5 per month more. No extra charge if you were 20/5.

As I previously wrote, I'm practically synced at 25/25. Awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1288 Old 06-26-2009, 05:33 AM

When are these speeds supposed to kick in?
I'm still at 20/20.
post #543 of 1288 Old 06-26-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiter53 View Post

I'm still at 20/20.

You have to call for an upgrade. They don't automatically switch you over.
post #544 of 1288 Old 06-26-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, so 15/5 is the basic default and each bump adds an extra monthly fee, the first of which is 25/15. Sweet.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #545 of 1288 Old 06-28-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiter53 View Post

I'm still at 20/20.

I called.
post #546 of 1288 Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsimms View Post

AFAIK, new standard is :

50/20 -> No change

Upgrade from 10/5 to 25/15 - $5 per month more. No extra charge if you were 20/5.

Something is fishy... apparently they are telling you one thing, but having in writing press releases that say something else. I found the quote, here it is

"Verizon is doubling-to-quadrupling the upstream connection speeds and increasing the downstream connection speeds of its most popular FiOS Internet offerings. The company has raised the connection speed of its entry-level FiOS Internet service from 10/2 megabits per second (Mbps) to 15/5 Mbps, and has raised the connection speed of its flagship, mid-tier offering from 20/5 Mbps to 25/15 Mbps. In New York City, on Long Island and in other New York City suburbs, FiOS Internet is even faster with a new entry-level connection speed of 25/15 Mbps, and a new mid-tier offering of 35/20 Mbps, available only in bundles. "

Ah, now I get it... taking a page from TWC, they give new subs a batter deal than existing customers!

post #547 of 1288 Old 06-30-2009, 08:55 AM

Price of Triple Play is up.

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential...sBundlesab.htm

I was paying $95 + $10 for the DVR box. Now that's up by $5 with 25/15. Not clear whether the linked rates includes a box.

Quote:

Something is fishy... apparently they are telling you one thing, but having in writing press releases that say something else. I found the quote, here it is

"Verizon is doubling-to-quadrupling the upstream connection speeds and increasing the downstream connection speeds of its most popular FiOS Internet offerings. The company has raised the connection speed of its entry-level FiOS Internet service from 10/2 megabits per second (Mbps) to 15/5 Mbps, and has raised the connection speed of its flagship, mid-tier offering from 20/5 Mbps to 25/15 Mbps. In New York City, on Long Island and in other New York City suburbs, FiOS Internet is even faster with a new entry-level connection speed of 25/15 Mbps, and a new mid-tier offering of 35/20 Mbps, available only in bundles. "

Ah, now I get it... taking a page from TWC, they give new subs a batter deal than existing customers!

post #548 of 1288 Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 AM

Check that. These are the local offerings. $5. more than I was paying before 25/15. I needed to plug in my Verizon landline number for the NYC rates.

https://www22.verizon.com/ForYourHom...CESBUNDLE.ASPX

Quote:

Price of Triple Play is up.

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential...sBundlesab.htm

I was paying $95 + $10 for the DVR box. Now that's up by $5 with 25/15. Not clear whether the linked rates includes a box.

post #549 of 1288 Old 06-30-2009, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Check that. These are the local offerings. $5. more than I was paying before 25/15. I needed to plug in my Verizon landline number for the NYC rates.

https://www22.verizon.com/ForYourHom...CESBUNDLE.ASPX

Ha... a month or three back I tried to see what rates FIOS would charge, but I was totally frustrated because they wouldn't give any rates unless one was already IN an area it was available (i.e. exact address). Your first link gives some bundle prices, which is great. HOWEVER, when I keep hitting "learn more" I get odd things... like it clearly says the best TV package has 55 HD channels. They SAY premiums are included in the 130/mo triple, but it only says Showtime is included.

post #550 of 1288 Old 06-30-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Ha... a month or three back I tried to see what rates FIOS would charge, but I was totally frustrated because they wouldn't give any rates unless one was already IN an area it was available (i.e. exact address). Your first link gives some bundle prices, which is great. HOWEVER, when I keep hitting "learn more" I get odd things... like it clearly says the best TV package has 55 HD channels. They SAY premiums are included in the 130/mo triple, but it only says Showtime is included.

The full movie package is shown on the $135. tier - all you can eat east/west coast feeds, on demand - goes up to $35 a month from $30. They're throwing in Showtime on the middle tier you cite.

They gave me HBO-Cine for three months w/o charge when I bumped up to 25/15.
post #551 of 1288 Old 06-30-2009, 05:14 PM

What is new is adding the full movie package to the top tier. You break the bundle if you cancel the package. I had the full movie package as an add-on for a few months and canceled without breaking the bundle.
post #552 of 1288 Old 07-01-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The full movie package is shown on the $135. tier - all you can eat east/west coast feeds, on demand - goes up to $35 a month from $30. They're throwing in Showtime on the middle tier you cite.

They gave me HBO-Cine for three months w/o charge when I bumped up to 25/15.

Uh, on the page you posted, the 130 tier is the top tier. And that bundle also clearly states it has a total of 55 HD channels.

I even checked the channel lineups... the "Extreme HD" (which is the TV package with the top triple play) doesn't list any premium channels, SD or HD.

My point is that they have nothing in writing or posted that apparently shows the truth about what they do or don't carry. This is no way to get customers to switch from TWC, which actually is very clear about what channels you get for what price you pay.

post #553 of 1288 Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Bix

It's best to call for pricing.

Right now by phone they're offering $89.99 Triple Freedom for the first year if you have a Verizon Wireless account, in addition to a year for free HBO w/ Triple Freedom.

post #554 of 1288 Old 07-01-2009, 03:48 PM

I called for pricing and assurance my bundle would not break. Best way to go.
post #555 of 1288 Old 07-01-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:

I went back to look. All 3 plans carry "Extreme HD" which, further on, is described thus - "With FiOS TV Extreme, you'll get 320+ all digital channels and up to 114 HD channels and up to 23 Sports channels."
post #556 of 1288 Old 07-02-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I went back to look. All 3 plans carry "Extreme HD" which, further on, is described thus - "With FiOS TV Extreme, you'll get 320+ all digital channels and up to 114 HD channels and up to 23 Sports channels."

Well, from the link you supplied, I simply hit "learn more" and got a screen describing all three services... with the following:

"FiOSTV Extreme HD
Tomorrow's Technology. Here Today For Total Entertainment.
FiOS is the network built for HD. Verizon FiOS brings the nation's largest fiber optic network straight to your home, delivering an amazingly lifelike picture and pure HD quality and sound. Get up to 348 digital channels and up to 55 HD channels (53 more digital channels and 41 more HD channels than FiOS TV Essentials), PLUS dozens of FiOS Premium Movie Channels."

Yes, I think they do carry over 100, the issue is that it's almost impossible to make ANY decisions based on what they are posting... not to mention one can only go so far if one isn't already wired. I've spent a ton of time trying to find out.... every single time I get the "input your address" thing and am always led to them using DTV as part of the bundles.

For all the money they are spending, their marketing is 100% piss-poor. They do NOT need to spend more money on marketing, they simply have to tell it straight and 100% true.

post #557 of 1288 Old 07-02-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Well, from the link you supplied, I simply hit "learn more" and got a screen describing all three services... with the following:

"FiOSTV Extreme HD
Tomorrow's Technology. Here Today For Total Entertainment.
FiOS is the network built for HD. Verizon FiOS brings the nation's largest fiber optic network straight to your home, delivering an amazingly lifelike picture and pure HD quality and sound. Get up to 348 digital channels and up to 55 HD channels (53 more digital channels and 41 more HD channels than FiOS TV Essentials), PLUS dozens of FiOS Premium Movie Channels."

Yes, I think they do carry over 100, the issue is that it's almost impossible to make ANY decisions based on what they are posting... not to mention one can only go so far if one isn't already wired. I've spent a ton of time trying to find out.... every single time I get the "input your address" thing and am always led to them using DTV as part of the bundles.

For all the money they are spending, their marketing is 100% piss-poor. They do NOT need to spend more money on marketing, they simply have to tell it straight and 100% true.

FIOS is much more centralized than TW. Yet they have varying regional plans. The 55 HD tier is not even available in NYC. Much of what I know I've gotten from a couple FIOS forums at http://www.dslreports.com/forums/54. I get a decent sense about how various regions are differently dealt with.
post #558 of 1288 Old 07-08-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:

AFAIK, new standard is :

50/20 -> No change

so has anyone called and got them to honor the upgrade from 20/20 to 35/20?

Can anyone tell me what number you called and what you exactly said too?

Thanks!
post #559 of 1288 Old 07-09-2009, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Verizon Takes Cablevision HD Dispute to FCC
Kerry Grace Benn
Wed Jul 8, 12:00 AM ET
The Wall Street Journal Online

Verizon Communications Inc. said in a complaint that the Federal Communications Commission should compel Cablevision Systems Corp. and its Madison Square Garden network to provide it with high-definition sports programming. In the complaint, filed with the FCC Tuesday, Verizon said Cablevision 'continually has denied Verizon access to the high-definition versions of its regional sports programming on any terms.'

Cablevision, it said, has refused to sell the HD rights to local coverage of the New York Knicks, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, New Jersey Devils and Buffalo Sabres games.

The two companies are frequent rivals and the fight over sports programming has been going on for years. In 2006, Verizon claimed Cablevision had refused to negotiate for programming rights to many of its networks, including MSG.

Verizon said in its complaint that Cablevision has denied customers of competing cable service access to local HD sports programming, but "has bragged to analysts and the public about its anticompetitive efforts, trumpeting that Cablevision is the only HD source for four of the nine professional sports teams in the New York City area."

A Cablevision spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment.

Verizon has asked that the FCC rule on the complaint within five months.
post #560 of 1288 Old 07-09-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk295 View Post

Verizon Takes Cablevision HD Dispute to FCC
Kerry Grace Benn
Wed Jul 8, 12:00 AM ET
The Wall Street Journal Online

Cablevision, it said, has refused to sell the HD rights to local coverage of the New York Knicks, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, New Jersey Devils and Buffalo Sabres games.

Rats... I had read FiOS did carry the 2 MSG channels, but apparently not in HD. This is a fairly big disincentive to go with FiOS... let's see what the FCC does here.

post #561 of 1288 Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Apparently, this is the Cable take on it...
http://www.ncta.com/PublicationType/...oint/2937.aspx

The Existing Program Access Rules Are Working as Intended
Publication Type: Talking Points
Date: 1/31/2009

THE EXISTING PROGRAM ACCESS RULES HAVE WORKED AS INTENDED

The exclusion of terrestrial program services from the program access provision of the 1992 Cable Act is not a loophole in need of closing. Rather, it is a well-considered expression of Congress's desire to limit the extent to which program access regulation interferes with the pro-competitive exercise of contractual rights.

Exclusivity is a cornerstone of contract law .

The government of the United States ordinarily does not tell those who create and distribute products with whom they should enter contracts or what the terms and conditions of those contracts should be - including exclusivity. This general policy holds true for television programming as well. Indeed, most television programs - and, in particular, most sports programs - are licensed to broadcasters and cable networks on an exclusive basis.

Temporary program access requirements.

As part of the Cable Act of 1992 - which was intended to spur competition in the multichannel video marketplace - Congress enacted temporary program access requirements that represented a limited departure from this general policy of favoring the pro-competitive exercise of contractual rights. These program access rules were designed to ensure that cable could not hamper the growth of its competitors by denying them satellite-delivered program networks in which cable companies had an ownership interest (vertically integrated program services). The exclusivity rules were never intended to be permanent and are currently scheduled to sunset in 2012.

The terrestrial exemption.

In passing program access laws, Congress carved out a narrow and temporary exception to the normal workings of the marketplace in which programmers and distributors determine how content will be distributed. Congress struck a deliberate balance: it sought to ensure that cable's then-fledgling competitors could not be denied sufficient access to popular satellite-delivered programming in which cable companies had an ownership interest while preserving the pro-competitive benefits of exclusivity in order to foster new program networks - especially local and regional program networks which are often delivered most economically by terrestrial means. Congress consciously and correctly exempted terrestrially-delivered cable program networks from the 1992 program access laws.

Competition is thriving .

Today, it is clear that Congress's decision to exempt terrestrially-delivered networks has not impeded competition, and indeed competition in the multichannel video marketplace is thriving. Over the past 12 years, cable's share of multichannel video subscriptions has dropped from 90 percent to 65 percent, and 35.7 million subscribers (more than one in three) receive their multichannel video programming from non-cable providers. The cable industry's two largest competitors - DIRECTV and EchoStar - are the second and third largest multichannel video providers in the United States, and the nation's largest telephone companies are deploying video services (Verizon's FiOS TV service is now the nation's 9th largest multichannel video service provider). In addition, the percentage of program services in which cable companies have a financial interest has declined sharply, from 44 percent in 1996 to 15 percent in 2006.

There is no evidence of any problems with the current program access rules or with the multichannel video marketplace. The goal that Congress envisioned in 1992 - a highly competitive multichannel video marketplace - has been reached.

A decision to distribute a program network by satellite or by terrestrial means is based on efficiencies, not on the program access rules. Satellite distribution is, because of its national footprint, the more economical means of distributing national program networks. Terrestrial distribution may be more efficient for local and regional services, for which the nationwide footprint offered by satellite is unnecessary.

Since 1992, the FCC has received only a handful of complaints alleging that cable networks are using terrestrial delivery to evade the program access rules. In every instance, including Comcast's SportsNet in Philadelphia and Cablevision's MetroChannels in New York City, the FCC found that the use of terrestrial delivery was justified by legitimate business rationales and by the circumstances of local markets, and was not related to evading the program access rules.

Exclusivity as a general rule is a pro-competitive tool that benefits consumers. It provides incentives for competing multichannel providers to develop unique video services that let them distinguish themselves from one another in the marketplace. Indeed, cable's competitors have themselves used exclusivity to differentiate their service offerings from those available from cable. For example, DIRECTV has exclusive distribution rights to the NFL Sunday Ticket package - it is not available to cable, Dish Network, Verizon, or AT&T customers. Similarly, broadcasters are permitted to force cable operators to black out network and syndicated programming in order to protect the broadcasters' exclusive territorial rights.

Program networks, including local and regional services, are high-risk ventures - some of which have failed in recent years. Offering distributors the opportunity to be the exclusive source of such programming can be essential to attracting investment, promotion, and carriage.

Congress deliberately and appropriately kept terrestrially-delivered programming free from any program access requirements . The legislative history of the 1992 Cable Act provides clear evidence that Congress intentionally sought to limit the program access rules to vertically-integrated, satellite-delivered services in order to avoid limiting investment in local and regional programming.

At the time of the 1992 Act, over a dozen local and regional program services were delivered by terrestrial means, including system-specific local origination channels and regional networks, such as Time Warner's NY1 News, which launched in September 1992, just prior to the passage of the 1992 Act.

The Senate version of program access legislation referred to national and regional programming without any mention of the means of delivery. By contrast, the final bill adopted the House-passed program access language, which was limited to "satellite cable programming.

Less than two years after the 1992 Cable Act became law, an amendment that would have imposed program access obligations on "video programming delivered by any means" was floated and then withdrawn. Rep. Tauzin (R-LA), the principal author of the 1992 Act's program access provisions, commented at the time that the proposed amendment raised issues that needed additional scrutiny, particularly the issue of whether applying program access rules to terrestrially-distributed cable programming would discourage the production of local and regional programming.
post #562 of 1288 Old 07-10-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja2bk View Post

Apparently, this is the Cable take on it...
http://www.ncta.com/PublicationType/...oint/2937.aspx

The Existing Program Access Rules Are Working as Intended
Publication Type: Talking Points
Date: 1/31/2009

THE EXISTING PROGRAM ACCESS RULES HAVE WORKED AS INTENDED

Very self serving piece... and mostly BS. An awful lot of areas simply don't have ANY competition. In my rather large market, for the majority it's TWC or no TV services AT ALL. At this point, I can't get OTA (too many tall buildings blocking access) I can't get satellite (building rules about erecting dishes). So it's TWC or I can ditch my home theater and big HD TV (well, I could use it to ONLY watch DVDs).

Yes, at some point before 2018 I should have access to FiOS... that's what the franchise agreement is. Of course, that does NOT mean they can't ask for an extension (nor does it mean that I may get it by the end of this year... nobody is giving out any actual information... but given the economy, Verizon may very well slow everything down to a crawl, remember this is a BIG capital drain on them).

TWC had had a legal total monopoly on me for 2-3 decades... so I think this exclusionary practice bloody well should be illegal!

post #563 of 1288 Old 07-10-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew8 View Post

so has anyone called and got them to honor the upgrade from 20/20 to 35/20?

Can anyone tell me what number you called and what you exactly said too?

Thanks!

Called and spoke w/ someone at verizon who said that to upgrade from 20/20 to 35/20, I would need to enter into a new contract (could be a 6 month or 1 year), and also have to pay an increased monthly fee for the triple play package of $109.99 a month. My old fee was $99.99 for the triple play with 20/20 internet.

Was that what others have experienced?
post #564 of 1288 Old 07-10-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAlert View Post

You have to call for an upgrade. They don't automatically switch you over.

Did you call and ask for an upgrade? Did you get that achieved w/o a new contract or fee increase?
post #565 of 1288 Old 07-10-2009, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok I got a question, The streets around my home here in Manhattan were painted last week with orange and red spray. All the sidewalks and phone booths are maked with orange paint around it. Does that means that A FIOS Deployment is coming?
post #566 of 1288 Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2680 View Post

Ok I got a question, The streets around my home here in Manhattan were painted last week with orange and red spray. All the sidewalks and phone booths are maked with orange paint around it. Does that means that A FIOS Deployment is coming?

Location?

post #567 of 1288 Old 07-11-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Location?

Morningside Heights 123th-125th.
post #568 of 1288 Old 07-12-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2680 View Post

Morningside Heights 123th-125th.

Ah, interesting, I'm just about a mile south. I had heard we were getting it in August, but I have not seen a thing. My guess is they would lay the trunk fiber under WEA, mostly because I know Verizon (cooper) and TWC (fiber) both run cabling there to serve my nabe. I figure there would have to be trucks stationed for sever days at each manhole... but I've seen NO activity such as that along any of that route.

UNLESS they are routing it south from your location... I DO know that Verizon has a major hub right by Columbia... so running south from you makes a lot of sense.

Let us know if you see their trucks set up...

post #569 of 1288 Old 07-12-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Ah, interesting, I'm just about a mile south. I had heard we were getting it in August, but I have not seen a thing. My guess is they would lay the trunk fiber under WEA, mostly because I know Verizon (cooper) and TWC (fiber) both run cabling there to serve my nabe. I figure there would have to be trucks stationed for sever days at each manhole... but I've seen NO activity such as that along any of that route.

UNLESS they are routing it south from your location... I DO know that Verizon has a major hub right by Columbia... so running south from you makes a lot of sense.

Let us know if you see their trucks set up...

I've been checking online if there are street permits regarding Verizon, but I haven't seen any yet. 3 months ago I sent an e-mail to one of the big shots at Verizon regarding FIOS explaining him that most people around here are interested in FIOS, he then sent me an e-mail tellin me that he was going to do the vetting process with the engineers. Now most of the Manholes are maked with orange paint, and the phone booths the same way.

The way that I see it is that they will lay the fiber from west 125th and Amsterdam ave all the way south.
post #570 of 1288 Old 07-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Bix

Does anyone know if this means that I can keep copper phone w/ FiOS TV/internet or if it just means that I can get copper phone back if I drop FiOS?: http://policyblog.verizon.com/Policy...g-Part-II.aspx

It's written a little vaguely.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page