post #721 of 1288 Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UESGuy View Post

And I just got my first bill and, yes, it's $4/month for the M cards (each).

For what it's worth, the bill looks correct. Nothing got messed up.

Hmm, I thought M cards were multi-stream. Which I also thought means you only need one card to cover the 2 tuners. If one only got single stream cards, one would need one for each tuner, thus two.

I know about "saving 16 bucks DVR service fee" but without DVR service, with a triple play, I think the cost of a standard box is in the price. So do you get money off for NOT getting a non DVR box? OR, should you not have Verizon supply a non DVR box... which CAN have it's value when three things you want to see are on at the same time.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1288 Old 10-14-2009, 09:53 AM

Yes, M cards are multi-stream and thus you only need one for each Tivo (leaving the other slot empty).

And it's true that I'm limited to taping two shows at once. Not sure if I'm getting much of a break by not taking a Verizon box. To be honest, with all of the intro pricing and special deals, it's hard to keep it all straight. So yes, I'm getting a discount off the normal price by not renting a box from Verizon, but I'm not sure how much. If you want to be able to watch three things simultaneously, maybe it would make sense to rent a box from them too. Hard to say. Not something that comes up for me so it's not an issue for me.
post #723 of 1288 Old 10-14-2009, 12:45 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Oh, I'm very aware of that... but one must have those trunk lines before anything else happens. As for individual buildings, evidence I spoke of indicates Verizon may not even talking to building owners on streets with a lot of 5 story buildings... it seems pretty clear they are very much going after big multi-unit buildings first. We have indications from my sources this is an unspoken of policy. Much as I hate it, it does make business sense.

I'm on my board, I HAVE got my fellow board members ready, we have had some talks with Verizon (we offered to be a distribution point, we are equidistant from 2 avenues and 2 side streets), they DID indicate the nabe would be ready by this past August, they HAVE gone silent since August.

There is no plan to avoid the smaller buildings, but the smaller buildings do present a problem in NYC due to the numerous contiguous "Rights of Way" they must secure to place cable along the rear walls of each of those buildings. The larger structures are easier because it is a single negotiation and a single entrance into the building that is independent of the rest of the buildings on the block. Sending a seperate entrance into 20 5 story walk up's on a block would bankrupt them due to the enormous cost of building a conduit entrance into each location. Having a single entrance into the block and then spanning the rear walls is a much more viable business model, but it comes with the challenge of securing those rights.

They will ultimately build it all out, but some architecture types will take longer than others.
post #724 of 1288 Old 10-15-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, M cards are multi-stream and thus you only need one for each Tivo (leaving the other slot empty).

And it's true that I'm limited to taping two shows at once. Not sure if I'm getting much of a break by not taking a Verizon box. To be honest, with all of the intro pricing and special deals, it's hard to keep it all straight. So yes, I'm getting a discount off the normal price by not renting a box from Verizon, but I'm not sure how much. If you want to be able to watch three things simultaneously, maybe it would make sense to rent a box from them too. Hard to say. Not something that comes up for me so it's not an issue for me.

Truth be told I lost sight of the fact you had 2 TiVO's when I asked about M-cards... I was only looking at you paying 8 bucks or 2 M cards!

Another option for a "third" show is having a TV with a QAM tuner. One CAN watch a network show live and record 2 other channels simultaneously.

I just wish both TWC & FiOS were forced to be more transparent and straightforward on pricing.

post #725 of 1288 Old 10-15-2009, 09:42 AM

Yes, and I guess that's the other way to record three things at once: have 2 Tivos! Heck, I can record 4 things at once, and with multi-room viewing it doesn't matter which box I use.

Last night I had fun pulling a movie off one of the Tivos to my Mac. No trouble at all. It's now on my iPod. Try doing THAT with a company box!
post #726 of 1288 Old 10-19-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I posted this on the other Fios thread here on AVS with no bites. Figure I'd drop my line in this pool....

I'm using the Fios Multi room DVR with component cables and have a problem. The box seems to switch from 1080 to 480i on its own-- frequently.

I'll be watching something and all of a sudden it looks soft. I go into settings and see that it's back on 480. I'll reset it to 1080 and later on it will reoccur.

Not sure if it's an issue with component cables, however, they are pushing through an update here this week that will enable the HDMI cable to finally function properly. I'll probably have them swap out the box this week too.

Any ideas?

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #727 of 1288 Old 10-20-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

The only good thing about Time Warner was the local TW thread here on AVS. That place is always abuzz with problems, solutions and chitchat. This place is a dead zone.

I guess that's good for one thingfew problems.

I found the new message icon today on my guide informing me of something new, unfortunately it has nothing to do with HDMI functionality. This isn't good. I'll be calling my local Fios technician tomorrow to find out if this it is still happening this week.

Larry

post #728 of 1288 Old 10-20-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

The only good thing about Time Warner was the local TW thread here on AVS. That place is always abuzz with problems, solutions and chitchat. This place is a dead zone.

I guess that's good for one thingfew problems.

Lol... I hear ya!

Quote:

I found the new message icon today on my guide informing me of something new, unfortunately it has nothing to do with HDMI functionality. This isn't good. I'll be calling my local Fios technician tomorrow to find out if this it is still happening this week.

Let us know how you make out Larry.
post #729 of 1288 Old 10-21-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal1115 View Post

Lol... I hear ya!

Let us know how you make out Larry.

There is something to be said for peace and quiet.

I left a couple links for Fios at DSLReports.com last week. You'll get the quickest heads up there when the 1.7 software is released. There are several NYC users posting there and complaining about the usual stuff. MSG-HD, MSNBC, etc. Are we all getting MSNBC on 103 or is it just Manhattan?

That message was for MediaManager for Mac which Mac users have been waiting for. I can now play out my iTunes through my TV or big speakers without additional wiring. It does photos too.

Windows users have had it for months.

My STB froze upon install. Easily cured with a web induced reset from the Verizon site
post #730 of 1288 Old 10-21-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsimms View Post

I left a couple links for Fios at DSLReports.com last week.

Quote:

http://www.dslreports.com/forums/54

Quote:

Yes, I have them bookmarked. I have visited there but not as regularly as this place.

I spoke to a technician today regarding my situation. He said he would let me know tomorrow about the update. I'd hate to go back to TW but I cannot continue here without the use of HDMI.

Larry

post #731 of 1288 Old 10-21-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Yes, I have them bookmarked. I have visited there but not as regularly as this place.

I spoke to a technician today regarding my situation. He said he would let me know tomorrow about the update. I'd hate to go back to TW but I cannot continue here without the use of HDMI.

Have you thought about HDMI - Composite converter ?

Let us know when 1.7 is coming.
post #732 of 1288 Old 10-23-2009, 12:14 PM

NYC traffic cam widget:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...___NY97215.htm

Widget will ultimately have:
# Cultural and recreational events
# Yellow taxi lost and found
# Bus or subway updates and schedules
# Alternate side-of-the-street parking and assistance
# Street and bridge information
# School closures

Widgets require MOCA, Tivo fans
post #733 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes, and I guess that's the other way to record three things at once: have 2 Tivos! Heck, I can record 4 things at once, and with multi-room viewing it doesn't matter which box I use.

Last night I had fun pulling a movie off one of the Tivos to my Mac. No trouble at all. It's now on my iPod. Try doing THAT with a company box!

Just found out that I can pull recorded programming from my TiVo to my computer so that I can burn it to DVD. Very cool because I need to make space on my TiVO. Going to buy a second one for multiroom use.

I'm the head of a 144 unit bldg on UWS. We met with Verizon rep in July/August. At that time, he thought they would be "live" here by September. I knew that meant January/February. Have not seen Verizon in the area since then.
post #734 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post

Just found out that I can pull recorded programming from my TiVo to my computer so that I can burn it to DVD. Very cool because I need to make space on my TiVO. Going to buy a second one for multiroom use.

I'm the head of a 144 unit bldg on UWS. We met with Verizon rep in July/August. At that time, he thought they would be "live" here by September. I knew that meant January/February. Have not seen Verizon in the area since then.

How far north, if you don't mind? I'm in a smallish building (40 units, WEA & RSD, low 100s) and we got the same info from Verizon (except it was "end of August") starting last spring. The info source has been completely tight lipped since then. I suspect their internal, secret original roll out plans are completely gone. It's also very clear about building size, I'm figuring while we are small, I'm on a very short block with 4 300+ unit buildings within 100 feet of my building, so they'd have to run trunk along my blocm to get the the 2 large RSD buildings.

post #735 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Regarding my issues…

As a reminder, I’m running two set ups, a Pioneer 151FD with a Yamaha RZ-7 receiver and a Panasonic G10 with a Marantz receiver (this is also sending 5 channel audio and video to another G10 in a different location with a 30’ HDMI cable).

While using the HDMI cable, the screen goes to green after a few seconds. I have to use component cable to get the video to function.

Another problem I’m experiencing with the Pio set up is that the moto set top box switches back to 480 whenever it is powered down. I have to manually reset it for 1080.

Today I had a Verizon tech here playing with everything for about 4 hours. It turns out, when we bypass the receiver and go HDMI from the STB directly to the display, there is no problem. The green screen is gone and the box stays locked on 1080.

Apparently the receiver is the “problem” in the chain.

I don’t know what to do now. I spoke to a higher up tech on the phone and he is going to determine if the new software upgrade that is going to happen very soon, has anything to do with receivers.

Are there other folks out there that have had this “HDMI green screen” issue? Are these folks also running things through a receiver too?

Feedback is welcome.

Larry

post #736 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 12:00 PM

Any chance there's a problem with your receiver?

Can you connect the HDMI direct without going through the receiver? You can use an optical cable for the audio.
post #737 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any chance there's a problem with your receiver?

Can you connect the HDMI direct without going through the receiver? You can use an optical cable for the audio.

Thanks for the response….It is unlikely that there is an issue with the receiver(s). They're are two different models/brands that function fine otherwise and to reinforce that logic, I had the same set up with Time Warner and they did work correctly (in the same chain).

The main issue is my Panny Marantz set up with the other room. I’m going to have to look into running a 30 foot component cable into that room to get the video. The audio is direct to the speakers so that’s not an issue.

Can I make a component cable out of a high end electrical cable? I have a 50 foot 12/3 cable that I was going to cut to size and put the component connectors on? I have no clue, will this work or are the component cables constructed differently?

Larry

post #738 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Can I make a component cable out of a high end electrical cable? I have a 50 foot 12/3 cable that I was going to cut to size and put the component connectors on? I have no clue, will this work or are the component cables constructed differently?

Sorry, you got me on that one.

You could buy one HERE
post #739 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, you got me on that one.

You could buy one HERE

Thanks for the interesting link. I bought cables from Blue Jeans but never dealt with Monoprice. That cable is cheap enough for me to just order and try.

There is also the HDMI / component converter for a few bucks more. Maybe I'll just order that so I don't have to re wire things. I know hsimms already suggested this but I thought they cost more.

Regardless, whatever I do, this should be temporary, since the upgrade is supposed to correct this. I'm waiting for the verification call on that. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one with this problem.

Larry

post #740 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

How far north, if you don't mind? I'm in a smallish building (40 units, WEA & RSD, low 100s) and we got the same info from Verizon (except it was "end of August") starting last spring. The info source has been completely tight lipped since then. I suspect their internal, secret original roll out plans are completely gone. It's also very clear about building size, I'm figuring while we are small, I'm on a very short block with 4 300+ unit buildings within 100 feet of my building, so they'd have to run trunk along my blocm to get the the 2 large RSD buildings.

Lincoln Center area.
post #741 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the interesting link. I bought cables from Blue Jeans but never dealt with Monoprice. That cable is cheap enough for me to just order and try.

There is also the HDMI / component converter for a few bucks more. Maybe I'll just order that so I don't have to re wire things. I know hsimms already suggested this but I thought they cost more.

Regardless, whatever I do, this should be temporary, since the upgrade is supposed to correct this. I'm waiting for the verification call on that. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one with this problem.

I meant component when I posted composite above. I know the difference. Not the first time I've done that. Brain cramp.
post #742 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I meant component when I posted composite above..

I know... in fact I read it as component

Larry

post #743 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That message was for MediaManager for Mac which Mac users have been waiting for. I can now play out my iTunes through my TV or big speakers without additional wiring. It does photos too.

Have you, or anyone else, set up the Media Manager with an Apple? I tried that today but it doesn’t work. It opens up my iTunes play list and attempts to load the song but then the screen says “This song has been moved or deleted or is corrupt. Please remove it from your play list.” What the heck is that all about? I guess I’m having a bad day with Fios.

Larry

post #744 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Have you, or anyone else, set up the Media Manager with an Apple? I tried that today but it doesn't work. It opens up my iTunes play list and attempts to load the song but then the screen says This song has been moved or deleted or is corrupt. Please remove it from your play list. What the heck is that all about? I guess I'm having a bad day with Fios.

I have it running well on Mac for tunes. Haven't tried photos. Mac version doesn't stream video yet.

I'm having trouble with video streaming running XP64 on an X64. Tells me it can't do it right now.

Each time I install MM to a computer, I have to reset the STB.

On another note, several posts at dslreports say that the next generation FIOS STB will be from SciAtl. Here we go again. Just like old times. We'll finally learn whether the trouble at T-W was their infrastructure or SciAtl.

Try resetting the STB and rebooting the Mac. If that doesn't work, delete the Mac MM app and re-download / install.
post #745 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have it running well on Mac for tunes. Haven't tried photos. Mac version doesn't stream video yet.

I'm having trouble with video streaming running XP64 on an X64. Tells me it can't do it right now.

Each time I install MM to a computer, I have to reset the STB.

On another note, several posts at dslreports say that the next generation FIOS STB will be from SciAtl. Here we go again. Just like old times. We'll finally learn whether the trouble at T-W was their infrastructure or SciAtl.

Try resetting the STB and rebooting the Mac. If that doesn't work, delete the Mac MM app and re-download / install.

I just got off the phone with a "super tech" from verizon. Pretty impressive system. He tapped into my computer and went through the diagnostics with me.

The problem was, I have everything in my iTunes set up as Lossless audio. The Media Manager can’t do Lossless-- only the smaller files. They were not aware of that and are now working on this.

He created a new play list as AAC audio file which is about 1/3 the size compared to the Lossless. This is pretty cool for me since I’m kind of new to this iTunes stuff. I just downloaded some CDs for the first time. I know, I’m late to the party.

Anyway, it was a fascinating service call.

Regarding the 1.7 update. They are up to 1.7c and are still testing it in Texas. As soon as it is problem free then it will be a week before NY gets it. He thinks that Texas will be good this week but he can’t say for sure.

And yes, the service tech told me today that they will be getting SA boxes too.

Larry

post #746 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:

The problem was, I have everything in my iTunes set up as Lossless audio. The Media Manager can't do Lossless-- only the smaller files. They were not aware of that and are now working on this.

He created a new play list as AAC audio file which is about 1/3 the size compared to the Lossless. This is pretty cool for me since I'm kind of new to this iTunes stuff. I just downloaded some CDs for the first time. I know, I'm late to the party.

My tunes are all mp3. 95% I've ripped from my own CDs. I like 192k Variable Bit Rate.

What is the process to change lossless to AAC. Is that within a playlist only?

Was it done on the fly? Or, did you mass process your lossless files?
post #747 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My tunes are all mp3. 95% I've ripped from my own CDs. I like 192k Variable Bit Rate.

What is the process to change lossless to AAC. Is that within a playlist only?

Was it done on the fly? Or, did you mass process your lossless files?

No it was extremely simple and quick. He created a new play list and “right clicked” on a Lossless song. In the menu it said "create AAC version”. Then he dragged the new AAC version into the new play list. Basically if I have the room and insist on keeping the Lossless versions I could make a duplicate list. And you could “highlight” as many as you want and duplicate instantly-- entire pages.

Larry

post #748 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

He recommended AAC with the highest Bit Rate for a great quality sound. He thinks that the advantage of the Lossless file size is not going to be heard by the average listener on consumer equipment.

Larry

post #749 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

However, I'm not sure if a smaller file (Mp3) can be converted to a bigger file (AAC or Lossless) as simply as it is converting a lossless file to a smaller file.

Larry

post #750 of 1288 Old 10-24-2009, 08:07 PM

IIRC, AAC is owned by Apple so it makes sense for iTunes to have quick, clean transfers from lossless to AAC.

I like mp3 because it's practically universal compression. I like Variable Bit Rate at 192 because it peaks at over 320k when you need it and ratchets down below 90k when you don't. Very good quality / space compromise. Human ear can't tell the difference above 320k.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page