post #1171 of 1288 Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post

Good choice....I agree that an AV drive is the way to go.

Did you format it exFat ?

Nope, I didn't do anything to format it -- I just let the DVR take care of it. It was recognized and formatted instantaneously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1288 Old 01-13-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

You were right...that was easy.

Enclosure info ??

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1173 of 1288 Old 01-14-2012, 09:22 AM

Liked: 10
Hi all,

New FiOS customer in Staten Island here and this forum has been a great help with getting me up to speed. So here is my story and I hope this helps someone on the fence about making the switch.

Background:
Time Warner cable and Roadrunner customer since 1998. Upgraded to HD service in 2004 when I got my Panasonic TH-42PHD7 (remember those?). I even purchased two HDMI cards for the plasma to prepare for the future. Who knew I wouldn't take advantage of both ports until 8 years later when I got a BluRay player and now FiOS?

Time Warner HD was great. I had a Pace box with a DVI output but I used the component outputs. I was happy with the HD channel choices including BBC America HD. This was one of the handful of channels I watched since my TV viewing declined and web surfing increased over the years. The influx of reality TV shows only added to my lack of viewing.

Anyway, with the start of 2012, Time Warner had another price increase and it pushed my monthly bill past a point I was willing to pay for what I was using it for.

FiOS order
Verizon was running a Triple-Play special with free multiroom DVR at the end of the year so I went online to sign up. After entering my address, the choices that showed up were overwhelming. Fortunately live chat was available and was helpful in walking me over some of the trouble spots.

There was a small one line dialog box where you could click month-to-month service or a 2-yr commitment. The default is month to month and that caused a ton of confusion since the pricing and features offered were different between the month to month and 2-yr deals.

No DVR for me since it was an extra $16 a month vs. $6 a month for the normal HD box. The "free-DVR for life" offer never appeared on my online order and was replaced with a $300 Visa gift card. Since my order was placed, I've learned that the free DVR was probably for the SD box and because I wanted HD, this wasn't made available during the online signup. No big deal for me.

After finalizing the order, installation was schedule for two weeks out.

Installation
VZ sent and email confirmation two days before the install and the installer showed up at 9AM on the dot. My wiring is overhead so it was very simple for him to run a new fiber line from the hand-off on the street pole. It's interesting to see that the tech didn't splice any fiber in the field (I work in the computer field and am familiar with fiber & Cat 5 wiring) but instead coiled the excess (and there was a lot!) in the ONT that was installed on the side of the house.

One hole was drilled and cable run to the interior provide the power and battery backup run needed for the ONT on the outside. The installer reused the COAX that was run into the house from the initial Time Warner installation 15 years ago. Once in the house, we kept the COAX splitter from Time Warner.

One Coax run went to the set top box and the other to the Actiontec wireless router. I have my own Netgear dual-band wireless router and range extenders that I wanted to reuse by piggybacking on the new VZ router but that is a story for another time.

The whole install took around two hours and soon enough my TV was up and running. I was hoping for one of those new black STB's that you see in the ads but all he had in the truck was a refurbed QIP-6200 for non-DVR customers. I'm sorry to say but that ugly silver thing barely fit in the cabinet and I had a gut feeling that I wasn't getting the latest & greatest.

For my digital voice, a new cross connection was run from the FiOS ONT over to my old external Bell Atlantic box (remember them?) to reuse the phone wiring in the house. Outside of setting up a new voicemail box, the phone service just works, nothing fancy.

Upgrades
The TV, Internet and now digital phone were now all up and running. I knew from this site that a new menu system, v1.9, was just pushed out to all the boxes. I confirmed that my STB was running v1.9. However, the TV guide was still in ugly standard def 4:3 and was relatively slow even compared to the old Time Warner interface. I had no comparison to the old menu system since I had never seen it. Oftentimes I would have to press the remote buttons a few times because I wasn't sure of the box accepted the command or was just slow in responding. I became an expert in looking for the blinking light at the front of the box to confirm that my remote input was accepted.

Well this wasn't going to do even though my picture quality was superb. I hatched a plan to visit the local FiOS office and see if I could pull off an exchange for the QIP 7100 P2, which is the latest box.

I was the first person in line at 9AM this morning at the local FiOS office with a list of excuses all ready to go to try to convince the rep to exchange my STB. Turns out I didn't need any of them because as soon as I said exchange and QIP 7100, the rep said "Sure thing!".

The sleek new box took about 10 minutes to self install and download whatever it needed but WOW, what a difference with the response and look of the on screen guide. The guide is now in HD 16x9 to show more listings at a glance and the displayed characters are SHARP. Scrolling is fast, so fast in fact that I find myself going past things and need to backup. This is with the same standard remote control that I though was broken or low on batteries with the older box.

OK, that's all for now and I'll spend the weekend exploring all the new features and channels. The one bad thing about this FiOS upgrade is that I'm looking at my 8-year old 42" 720p plasma and thinking of an upgrade. I can't believe I paid over $400 for two HDMI ports in 2004 when I can get a whole new 1080p screen for not much more.

Now I await the next adventure when the first bill arrives...
post #1174 of 1288 Old 01-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_moy13 View Post

Hi all,

New FiOS customer in Staten Island here and this forum has been a great help with getting me up to speed. So here is my story and I hope this helps someone on the fence about making the switch.

Glad to see you're enjoying your new service, and that you were able to swap the 6200 for a 7100 box.

Do be sure to check out the features and functions available to you on MyVerizon.com. It is quite comprehensive and allows you to manage practically every aspect of your FiOS service; so much so that you will probably never have to actually call Verizon again. You can even cancel all of your services online if you choose.

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #1175 of 1288 Old 01-19-2012, 02:54 PM

anyone else notice that the logos for MSG HD and MSG Plus HD disappeared? (channel 578 and 580)
post #1176 of 1288 Old 01-20-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG1 View Post

anyone else notice that the logos for MSG HD and MSG Plus HD disappeared? (channel 578 and 580)

Yup! how odd
post #1177 of 1288 Old 01-27-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Both our 7232's rebooted during the night, but no new messages describing a change. Anyone else ?

BTW, I've found that the recordings time extender doesn't work. I thought I'd try it during the Australian Open because the scheduled broadcast is always "short"

I tried extending it both manually and for the "series". No joy either way. Tried extentions of 30min, 90 min and 2 hrs. None worked on both our boxes. Anyone else ?

Our only other complaint, besides those voiced by others, is that when you press the info button, the info disply is way too short. If more than a short sentence ,no way can it be read. Too bad there's no user setting for it.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1178 of 1288 Old 01-31-2012, 04:54 PM

Rangers are on MSG 2 in HD on ch. 579 on FiOS
post #1179 of 1288 Old 02-04-2012, 10:58 AM

Are channels 664 and 665 pixelie for anyone else? It affects at least 2 of our TVs. Thanks!
post #1180 of 1288 Old 02-04-2012, 11:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post

Are channels 664 and 665 pixelie for anyone else? It affects at least 2 of our TVs. Thanks!

Yes I'm getting the same for 570 (espn) 589 (nbatv) 576 (yes) 578 (MSG) annoying as hell
post #1181 of 1288 Old 02-04-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geenice View Post

Yes I'm getting the same for 570 (espn) 589 (nbatv) 576 (yes) 578 (MSG) annoying as hell

Those channels are clear for me, AFIK. Verizon just called me and has me test out another channel on that set of freqency, lifetime movie network. It was also pixelated. They are sending a tech on monday.
post #1182 of 1288 Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow caster View Post

BTW, I've found that the recordings time extender doesn't work. I thought I'd try it during the Australian Open because the scheduled broadcast is always "short"

I tried extending it both manually and for the "series". No joy either way. Tried extentions of 30min, 90 min and 2 hrs. None worked on both our boxes. Anyone else ?

My 7232 time extensions work okay for series (NYC). As a last step, recall you must press the 'right' arrow key and then 'OK' to Save all series settings. Forgot setting it here for the tennis open, but it was so long (almost 6 hours) that the 2-hr max extension would have missed the last part of the 5th set. I FFWD parts of my recording, then tuned in live, only missing the 4th set. Haven't studied all the menu options but just now couldn't spot a setting for extending an upcoming show set for DVRing. -- John
post #1183 of 1288 Old 02-05-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks John... I don't recall whether or not I did the "save". Possibly not.
I'll have to try it again.

However, as it turned out it, was a good thing I didn't. For the men's final I just recorded every show scheduled after the end of broadcast time, including the Sun 9am rebroadcast (which, of course, turned out to be live continuation) Must have been a bummer for those that tuned in expecting to see the beginning of the match. So, we did get to see it complete....great match btw.

I do have a curiousity question. When you delete a recording, the % disc space remaining increases accordingly. Going into deleted items and restoring it decreases the % accordingly. Logically, if the show remains on the hard drive, that shouldn't happen. So where is it being restored from? Kind of like VOD or what?

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1184 of 1288 Old 02-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Hi I'm switching to fios next week just wanted to know as for the dvr boxes which one should I request I heard there is for hd a 500g and 300g I'm gonna try to the 500g is there a brand I should request thx
post #1185 of 1288 Old 02-06-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMoney View Post

Hi I'm switching to fios next week just wanted to know as for the dvr boxes which one should I request I heard there is for hd a 500g and 300g I'm gonna try to the 500g is there a brand I should request thx

You want the Motorola 7232.
There's a thread dedicated to that model : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21528926

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1186 of 1288 Old 02-14-2012, 08:05 AM

Hi I ordered fios tv only no Internet but I was told there still use there router to send info to the guide to the boxes , I guess they transfer there info into the cables just wanted to know how it works when at this time only getting the tv side
post #1187 of 1288 Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi I ordered fios tv only no Internet but I was told there still use there router to send info to the guide to the boxes , I guess they transfer there info into the cables just wanted to know how it works when at this time only getting the tv side

Yep, video-on-demand and the guide data are delivered over I/P so you need a router for FIOS TV. If you're not getting FIOS internet, you're missing out, as their speeds and value well surpass any of the other providers in the area.
post #1188 of 1288 Old 02-14-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

Yep, video-on-demand and the guide data are delivered over I/P so you need a router for FIOS TV. If you're not getting FIOS internet, you're missing out, as their speeds and value well surpass any of the other providers in the area.

Sounds good can't wait to get it and say goodbye too twc , maybe I will add Internet after I get it going one question I already have my own router but this also has a modem/router does it also have so I can pw protect or can I see use my netgear router ?
post #1189 of 1288 Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds good can't wait to get it and say goodbye too twc , maybe I will add Internet after I get it going one question I already have my own router but this also has a modem/router does it also have so I can pw protect or can I see use my netgear router ?

Yes, both -- you can configure the router, change passwords, etc. And you can also piggyback your netgear router onto it if you want. There are guides out there on how to do this.
post #1190 of 1288 Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Scott, you never did say what esata enclosure you're using ??

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1191 of 1288 Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Scott, you never did say what esata enclosure you're using ??

Ha, you're right. Will check tonight.
post #1192 of 1288 Old 02-14-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Scott...btw, do you know the answer to the last paragraph in post #1183 above ?

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1193 of 1288 Old 02-14-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Scott...btw, do you know the answer to the last paragraph in post #1183 above ?

Yes, I do. The "deleted" items in the deleted folder are not actually deleted until the space is needed. Once the space is needed, they are ejected from the DVR one by one. So the "free space" calculations count the items in the deleted folder as "free" even though they're technically still there. And if you "undelete" them they just move them back from the deleted list and recalculate the free space. No magic, it's just some minor slight of hand under the hood....
post #1194 of 1288 Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

ah ha. Thanks for the explanation, makes sense.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1195 of 1288 Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

The order I placed yesterday :

Me : Hello, I'd like to take advantage of the free, 90 day promotion for the multi room dvr feature.

CSR : Sure, I can help you with that.

Me: Great and be advised that the 2 stb's I have are both 7232's, so all I need is the activation.

Put on hold for a few min while she enters the info.

CSR: All set, it will take betwee 15min and 2 hrs before it's functional.

Me: Terriffic, thank you , good bye.

Pretty straightforward, right? Wrong! Today, still not activated. Telephoned and the autromated system tells me that the installation is scheduled for March 1st. WTF?

Contact tech support and was told that the order the CSR entered was for a new stb and 2 digital adapters and that I should contact the order dept to cancel it and reorder. How can one person make such an absolute mess out of a simple order like this?

Called again and was told by a csr "let me see if I can cancel it". Put on hold for 5 min and then was disconnected. Still not cancelled.

Lesson, especially for those new customers. Don't ever, and I mean ever, contact Verizon unless absolutely necessary.

Update : was on hold now for 30 min after being told the order can't be cancelled and requesting a supervisor. Supervisor not available, supposedly will call me back.

Update#2 : Never heard from the super.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1196 of 1288 Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 AM

Liked: 15
[quote=
Lesson, especially for those new customers. Don't ever, and I mean ever, contact Verizon unless absolutely necessary.[/QUOTE]

wow... score one point for CV... maybe CV pic qty, net speeds aint quite as good as fios, i find their customer service A+
post #1197 of 1288 Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 AM

Does anyone know how to get information from Verizon on when FIOS will be available after fiber is installed in a building? Verizon installed fiber into the basement of my apartment building on October 26. I spoke with the Verizon installation supervisor while they were installing it, and confirmed with him that it was indeed fiber for FIOS. He said it usually takes a couple of months before it becomes available to residents. Since then I have heard nothing from Verizon. I've called them, and their phone CSR's know nothing. Having had FIOS before moving to NY, I can't wait to dump TWC, particularly with my rate having just increased by $25.
post #1198 of 1288 Old 02-19-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorwin View Post

Does anyone know how to get information from Verizon on when FIOS will be available after fiber is installed in a building? Verizon installed fiber into the basement of my apartment building on October 26. I spoke with the Verizon installation supervisor while they were installing it, and confirmed with him that it was indeed fiber for FIOS. He said it usually takes a couple of months before it becomes available to residents. Since then I have heard nothing from Verizon. I've called them, and their phone CSR's know nothing. Having had FIOS before moving to NY, I can't wait to dump TWC, particularly with my rate having just increased by $25.

I have twc but as of thursday I will have fios yes I cant wait in my building they wired everything like in a week and then like 2 weeks later they were taking orders ..
post #1199 of 1288 Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 PM

I'm getting fios on wednesday tripleplay question I live in a apartment just wanted to know do they need to do any installation in my closet or all they need add is the router
post #1200 of 1288 Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
It depends on how your apartment building is wired. If they've wired your apartment with fiber throughout, then they will need to install a fiber ONT in your apartment, usually in a closet somewhere.

If, on the other hand, your apartment building uses fiber to a distribution box in the basement or on your floor, with coax to your apartment, then all they will need to install is a router in your apartment.

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page