Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1288 Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 View Post

Just ordered triple play (adding TV to our Double play since it cost less) and was wondering with QAM tuners TV why would i need their cable box? It cost $6 a month to rent and having 2 TVs wired. Guy is going to have to run wires since this house was built before cable.

The channels in the clear QAM on FiOS are the local affiliates (WCBS, WNBC, WNYW, WABC, WPIX, WWOR, WLNY, WNET - all in SD and HD), the local affiliates' subchannels, the local Spanish channels, some low power local stations, the community access channels, and The Weather Channel (I think SD only). Occasionally, a channel will appear in the clear for a special event (The Tennis Channel during the US open). But in reality, FiOS' clear QAM is what you'd get with just an antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1288 Old 09-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman View Post

The channels in the clear QAM on FiOS are the local affiliates (WCBS, WNBC, WNYW, WABC, WPIX, WWOR, WLNY, WNET - all in SD and HD), the local affiliates' subchannels, the local Spanish channels, some low power local stations, the community access channels, and The Weather Channel (I think SD only). Occasionally, a channel will appear in the clear for a special event (The Tennis Channel during the US open). But in reality, FiOS' clear QAM is what you'd get with just an antenna.

First half of your message is true but no reality is fios clear QAM you get what an antenna can pickup PLUS local access and Weather Channel. There are few places in NYC that one can even pick up WLNY with an antenna.
post #1263 of 1288 Old 09-15-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

so your saying no special channels like AMC, MSG with out verzion box? I'm really pisst that now i'm getting MSG Rangers will not be playing hockey. Well at lest i can watch Walking Dead now on other than my computer.
post #1264 of 1288 Old 09-15-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 View Post

so your saying no special channels like AMC, MSG with out verzion box? I'm really pisst that now i'm getting MSG Rangers will not be playing hockey. Well at lest i can watch Walking Dead now on other than my computer.
Correct. Like I said the other option is to use a TIVO or computer with a tuner and get a cable card from Verizon.
post #1265 of 1288 Old 09-16-2012, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a Magnavox MDR515H/F7 500GB HDD and DVD-R with Digital Tuner
post #1266 of 1288 Old 10-03-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanna261 View Post

Here's the install in my apartment:
525x525px-LL-20ee57e4_vbattach246562.jpeg

Does the modem have to be connected directly to the ONT?
post #1267 of 1288 Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, directly connected (can be a splitter in between)

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1268 of 1288 Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post

Yes, directly connected (can be a splitter in between)

Could the splitter be after a 40 foot coax run? I'm currently with TWC and the main feed into my apartment immediately goes to a 3 way splitter in my front closet, with two coax runs going from there directly to set top boxes, with the third going from there into a second two way splitter which feeds a third set top box and cable modem. I'm trying to figure out if I can keep the cable modem in my bedroom (from where I have ethernet cables running to various rooms) or if with FiOS I'll have to relocate the modem into the front closet where the ONT will likely be installed.
post #1269 of 1288 Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, splitter can be after a 40' run.

No, the modem doesn't have to be anywhere near the ONT.
Mine is in the basement on the other side of our house and the modem is next to my pc in my home office.

The Fios signal, after the ONT, is normally "hot" and they knock it down with a splitter, with resistor connectors, on the unused ports, as needed.

Bottom line is that you'll be fine.

Edit: use the Fios modem

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1270 of 1288 Old 10-04-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine is in the basement on the other side of our house and the modem is next to my pc in my home office.
The Fios signal, after the ONT, is normally "hot" and they knock it down with a splitter, with resistor connectors, on the unused ports, as needed.

Awesome. Thanks! Can't wait to make the switch...although I am a little nervous after reading a number of posts about the picture quality not being as great as it once was. Hopefully that's not the case across the board. Keeping my fingers crossed it's still at least as good as TWC...in which case I'll still come out ahead with the significantly faster internet and lower monthly bill.
post #1271 of 1288 Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

One other question as I get ready for my install on Sunday...does the included Actiontec router support gigabit ethernet on the wired ports, or only 10/100? The product data sheet says "LAN: 802.11g, 802.11b, 10/100 Ethernet (optional Gigabit),MoCA". Curious what version of the hardware they install and whether most of you use it?

Also, does it support multiple SSID on the wireless end? Thanks.
post #1272 of 1288 Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 PM

Heads up! In NYC Cartoon Network HD is available on channel 757.
post #1273 of 1288 Old 10-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

there are no fios "modems". they are routers.
post #1274 of 1288 Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 AM

I'm currently a verizon NJ phone & dsl subscriber and their recent incentives to switch to fios ($79.99/mo. triple play with $250 visa card for a 2 year contract), seems very compelling. The customer service reps. I've talked to however can't (or won't) answer some questions I have about their FIOS service and fees.

My questions are:

1. How much are the additional fees & taxes per month for their base tier triple play service? (I'm in New Jersey so I assume $2.42 RSN + 7% sales tax at least + ?).
2. Do I need to rent their DVR equipment for $16.99/mo. or can I supply my own QIP-7232-2 without incurring any additional charges above the base service? (just a 1 room installation req'd., ie. no MRDVR add-on)
3a. If I supply my own dvr will I be able to receive all the base tier Prime HD programing in HD (MSG, ESPN, etc.)?
3b. Will I need a cable card & does Verizon in NJ supply these? Cost?
4. Does the wireless router have a monthly equipment fee and, if so, can I supply my own?
5. Is there an additional monthly service charge for their IP services like VOD, program guide, etc. and, if so, can I decline these services?

Sorry if these have been asked/answered before but a search didn't turn up much info.

TIA for any answers.
post #1275 of 1288 Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post

I'm currently a verizon NJ phone & dsl subscriber and their recent incentives to switch to fios ($79.99/mo. triple play with $250 visa card for a 2 year contract), seems very compelling. The customer service reps. I've talked to however can't (or won't) answer some questions I have about their FIOS service and fees.

My questions are:

1. How much are the additional fees & taxes per month for their base tier triple play service? (I'm in New Jersey so I assume $2.42 RSN + 7% sales tax at least + ?).
2. Do I need to rent their DVR equipment for $16.99/mo. or can I supply my own QIP-7232-2 without incurring any additional charges above the base service? (just a 1 room installation req'd., ie. no MRDVR add-on)
3a. If I supply my own dvr will I be able to receive all the base tier Prime HD programing in HD (MSG, ESPN, etc.)?
3b. Will I need a cable card & does Verizon in NJ supply these? Cost?
4. Does the wireless router have a monthly equipment fee and, if so, can I supply my own?
5. Is there an additional monthly service charge for their IP services like VOD, program guide, etc. and, if so, can I decline these services?

Sorry if these have been asked/answered before but a search didn't turn up much info.

TIA for any answers.

1. Here on L.I. the taxes include Fed Exise tax, NY State and local tax, 911 surcharge, Fed Universal Service Fee, NYS & Local tax surcharge, Fed Subscriber Line charge, Carrier Cost recovery charge, Fed Regulatory recovery fee, Video Franchise Fee . Total= $23.43 ($14 of the 23, just for Video Franchise Fee and Subscriber Line chg)
2. Yes, you MUST rent their dvr's. If you buy one, on ebay for example, you will not be able to activate it. Answers 3a and 3b
4. Router is supplied @ N/C and no monthly fee.
5. No additional charge for any of the mentioned.
fredd likes this.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1276 of 1288 Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM

@fredd: note that if you're getting TV service from FIOS, you MUST use the router they supply. You can use your own router in addition to their router if you prefer it for some reason (I turn off the wireless on my FIOS router and use a separate wireless access point that is dual-band, for example), but their router has to be in the system for TV features like on-screen programming guides and video-on-demand to work properly.
post #1277 of 1288 Old 02-22-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2. Yes, you MUST rent their dvr's. If you buy one, on ebay for example, you will not be able to activate it. Answers 3a and 3b
This is not exactly correct -- you COULD use a TIVO or HTPC or some other DVR that accepts cable cards, as they will provide you a cable card in lieu of a DVR. But you can't supply your own version of one of the DVR models that they offer for rental.
post #1278 of 1288 Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

This is not exactly correct -- you COULD use a TIVO or HTPC or some other DVR that accepts cable cards, as they will provide you a cable card in lieu of a DVR. But you can't supply your own version of one of the DVR models that they offer for rental.

Yes Scott, however, his question was "can I supply my own QIP-7232-2 without incurring any additional charges above the base service?"

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1279 of 1288 Old 02-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Where do u think u can legally obtain one of those?
Quote:

Yes Scott, however, his question was "can I supply my own QIP-7232-22-2 without incurring any additional charges above the base service?"
post #1280 of 1288 Old 02-22-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post

Where do u think u can legally obtain one of those?

You may want to read post #1275......

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1281 of 1288 Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post

u can't supply your own QIP7232-2
post #1282 of 1288 Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread has been quite for some time now. I guess that means not too many problems out there, so that's a good thing.

I've noticed that the last 10 days or so our 2 7232's have the Fios screen saver (the one with the bouncing logo that tells me to press the menu button) on in the morning, every day. It used to be only when an update had been received or the boxes had rebooted due to a power outage.(we have them on a UPS, so small outages don't affect it).

They're both doing this, and only when we first check in the morning, so I'm wondering if this is happening to anyone else ?

Edit: We leave both STB's on all the time.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1283 of 1288 Old 08-07-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

...I'm wondering if this is happening to anyone else ?
I always leave my STB on.

When I turn my system on the STB should be on the channel I was last watching and with a buffer.

Now, as of late, when I power on my system, I see that familiar verizon screen saver-- "press menu to view.." WTF? I don't know why this is happening.

And-- then I occasionally have that new "home" screen nonsense.

Another problem I'm having is that when I pause the video and then hit play I lose my audio. I have to re-pause or "rewind" to get it back. confused.gif

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #1284 of 1288 Old 08-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
There is a new Sleep Timer option that brings up the screen saver after a period of inactivity. It is set to 4 hours by default. You can set it back to "Never" in the Set Top Box menu.

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #1285 of 1288 Old 08-08-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

There is a new Sleep Timer option that brings up the screen saver after a period of inactivity. It is set to 4 hours by default. You can set it back to "Never" in the Set Top Box menu.

Ah, ha....thanks UD, that was it. Nice of Vz to implement a new "feature" and make it a well kept secret.

Nothing in the "messages" re this at all. Did you find this by accident, browsing the menu?

"Talk to me Goose"
post #1286 of 1288 Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

Thanks UD! cool.gif

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #1287 of 1288 Old 08-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I read about it on DSLR.

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #1288 of 1288 Old 11-15-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Looks like no one's noticing PQ problems, supposedly backed up with bitrate readings, like this AVSer in the HDTV Programming forum . Haven't noticed this myself. Other poster is in S. Calif., perhaps a separate super-headend, -- John

Sorry, copied link above didn't work correctly. Should be to this post, hopefully.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/590208/verizon-fios-hdtv/17790#post_23947440
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page