post #1291 of 1314 Old 10-27-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post
We are in the process of installing FIOS in my building on the UWS. It should go live by the end of the month. I currently use two TIVOs with my TWC service and was planning to use those with FIOS as well. Has anyone here compared the FIOS dvr versus a TIVO with cablecards? I've been told that the FIOS install takes at least 4 hours. Is there anything special that I should be on the lookout for during the install? Last question: for those of you who have phone via FIOS, how is the phone call quality?
Phone quality is no different than it was before. My install actually took longer than 4 hours, even though I only had 1 TV, phone, and internet to hook up and they (to the extent that they could) reused the coaxial cable that Time Warner had already installed in our place.

Good luck! You're going to be very happy with FIOS! I'd never switch back to Time Warner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1314 Old 10-31-2014, 03:07 PM

Liked: 15
one thing to keep in mind with the dvr... if u are recording a show, and want to tape a 2nd show, u gotta watch one of the shows u are taping... that's something fios doesn't tell ya... I had to upgrade to quantum, so now I can tape upto 6 shows (u can upgrade to 12)... the cost is 5bucks a months... they wanted 10, i threatened to cancel, they reduced the price to 5bucks... as to pic/phone/internet quality... its as good as cable.. not any better (that i can see)... its a question of $$$.. in 18mos, i'll call cable and see if they will do better then fios... its all a game...
post #1293 of 1314 Old 11-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris401 View Post
one thing to keep in mind with the dvr... if u are recording a show, and want to tape a 2nd show, u gotta watch one of the shows u are taping... that's something fios doesn't tell ya.
you can also watch a show that was previously recorded, you don't have to watch 1 of the 2 live shows. this is standard with any dual tuner DVR offered by cable companies.
post #1294 of 1314 Old 12-02-2014, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My FIOS installation is today - very excited. I'm using two Tivos plus the Tivo Mini so no FIOS dvr boxes at all. The pricing for 3 phone lines, 75/75 internet speed and the Preferred HD tv package is much, much better than my current combination of TWC and Verizon landlines. Plus - they are throwing in 2 years worth of all of the Premium channels and a $400 gift card. My main goal (besides the pricing) is to have better and more consistent wifi speed throughout my apartment. So far, FIOS has been very communication-friendly with explanatory emails about the installation process - hope that is indicative of the installation itself.
post #1295 of 1314 Old 12-02-2014, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Has anyone used 2 MOCA extenders in the same FIOS home system? I had a Actiontec ECB2200V in my second bedroom (home office) connected to my desktop computer. I replaced it with a Actiontec WCB3000N wifi extender in my second bedroom and the reason why I switched from the wired model to the wireless model was to extend the wifi signal to the back of my master bedroom and master bathroom which received extremely weak signals from the FIOS router in my living room. After making the switch the wifi signal in those locations was still spotty so on Sunday I tried connecting both MOCA extenders at the same time. I put the wired ECB2200V back in my second bedroom (home office) and connected it to my desktop computer. I then placed the wireless WCB3000N in my master bedroom to correct the weak wifi signal. Much to my surprise when I did this the coax light on the wired ECB2200V would not turn on but the WCB3000N in the master bedroom worked perfectly.

After double checking my coax connections on both the wall output and the ECB2200V's input several times without any success I gave up and returned the wifi WCB3000N to my second bedroom and reconnected it to my desktop computer and the coax light turned on immediately. Is there a limitation using 2 MOCA extenders on one FIOS system? If so, is there a way to resolve this issue as I would really like to extend my wifi signal throughout my apartment?
post #1296 of 1314 Old 12-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Guy View Post
Has anyone used 2 MOCA extenders in the same FIOS home system? I had a Actiontec ECB2200V in my second bedroom (home office) connected to my desktop computer. I replaced it with a Actiontec WCB3000N wifi extender in my second bedroom and the reason why I switched from the wired model to the wireless model was to extend the wifi signal to the back of my master bedroom and master bathroom which received extremely weak signals from the FIOS router in my living room. After making the switch the wifi signal in those locations was still spotty so on Sunday I tried connecting both MOCA extenders at the same time. I put the wired ECB2200V back in my second bedroom (home office) and connected it to my desktop computer. I then placed the wireless WCB3000N in my master bedroom to correct the weak wifi signal. Much to my surprise when I did this the coax light on the wired ECB2200V would not turn on but the WCB3000N in the master bedroom worked perfectly.

After double checking my coax connections on both the wall output and the ECB2200V's input several times without any success I gave up and returned the wifi WCB3000N to my second bedroom and reconnected it to my desktop computer and the coax light turned on immediately. Is there a limitation using 2 MOCA extenders on one FIOS system? If so, is there a way to resolve this issue as I would really like to extend my wifi signal throughout my apartment?
It would help if you drew a diagram and posted it. It is very hard to picture what you described.
post #1297 of 1314 Old 12-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
It would help if you drew a diagram and posted it. It is very hard to picture what you described.
Hopefully this will make sense to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File0001.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	398210  
post #1298 of 1314 Old 12-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hopefully this will make sense to you.
If you're hoping to use the 2200 and 3000 at the same time, I'm pretty sure the answer is no you can't. If you're just trying to extend wifi range, there are cheaper alternatives that don't require you to use MOCA.
post #1299 of 1314 Old 12-03-2014, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you're hoping to use the 2200 and 3000 at the same time, I'm pretty sure the answer is no you can't. If you're just trying to extend wifi range, there are cheaper alternatives that don't require you to use MOCA.
I am pretty sure that I have seen information online where people have used 2 MOCA converters. As I already own both MOCA units would you explain why it won't work?
post #1300 of 1314 Old 12-03-2014, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am pretty sure that I have seen information online where people have used 2 MOCA converters. As I already own both MOCA units would you explain why it won't work?
Well if you have seen it, then you should refer to it and ask the poster(s) how they got it to work. In my experience, never more than 2 MOCA devices on a coax network has worked. The Verizon Actiontec router itself counts as 1 device. Of course the set top boxes are MOCA capable but not counted in the device count. It could possibly work, I just don't know how.
post #1301 of 1314 Old 12-03-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
you can also watch a show that was previously recorded, you don't have to watch 1 of the 2 live shows. this is standard with any dual tuner DVR offered by cable companies.
with CV, u can record numerous shows, and not be bound to watching one of them..
post #1302 of 1314 Old 12-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
with CV, u can record numerous shows, and not be bound to watching one of them..
FIOS also offers their Quantum TV service where the DVR can record up to 12 shows at once!

http://www.verizon.com/home/fiosquantumtv
post #1303 of 1314 Old 12-05-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
FIOS also offers their Quantum TV service where the DVR can record up to 12 shows at once!

yes they do..i got the 6 show package... but when I changed over to fios, rented the dvr, they do not tell u its for 2 shows unless u upgrade.. which I did for 5bucks more per month... also its a pain that a station does not automatically go from sd to hd if its available... certainly not a deal-breaker, but CV does have a couple few points in their favor...
post #1304 of 1314 Old 12-05-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yes they do..i got the 6 show package... but when I changed over to fios, rented the dvr, they do not tell u its for 2 shows unless u upgrade.. which I did for 5bucks more per month... also its a pain that a station does not automatically go from sd to hd if its available... certainly not a deal-breaker, but CV does have a couple few points in their favor...
There are advantages and disadvantages of network DVRs like the one Cablevision offers and local advanced DVR like FiOS Quantum or Time Warner whole house.

I personally prefer DVR where the content is stored locally so you have better control over it. Cablevision's network DVR feels like watching VOD where there is a delay with remote functions.

With most cable networks repeating shows over and over and major networks offering most shows online or on free VOD, one can easily get by without the need for so many simultaneous recordings.
post #1305 of 1314 Old 12-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Just ordered the Actiontec WCB3000N wifi extender because the wifi speed in my master bedroom varies wildly - sometimes I can get 25 down and other times only 3. Supposed to be a simple way to extend the wifi signal via the MOCA without degrading the picture quality. Has anyone here successfully used this?
post #1306 of 1314 Old 12-07-2014, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just ordered the Actiontec WCB3000N wifi extender because the wifi speed in my master bedroom varies wildly - sometimes I can get 25 down and other times only 3. Supposed to be a simple way to extend the wifi signal via the MOCA without degrading the picture quality. Has anyone here successfully used this?
If you connect it to the coax cable in your master bedroom it should work well. I have it and it will improve the signal.
post #1307 of 1314 Unread Today, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Just came to report back that the Wifi extender solved my issue. The speed test readings are still erratic but now they are in the 30 - 80 down range as opposed to 2 to 20. Definitely recommended for anyone with dead spots or crappy wifi signals. Very impressed with the whole Verizon customer service thus far.
post #1308 of 1314 Unread Today, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just came to report back that the Wifi extender solved my issue. The speed test readings are still erratic but now they are in the 30 - 80 down range as opposed to 2 to 20. Definitely recommended for anyone with dead spots or crappy wifi signals. Very impressed with the whole Verizon customer service thus far.
Glad it worked out for you. Are you connecting to the 5G signal from the MOCA extender?
post #1309 of 1314 Unread Today, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

I believe so. The Verizon tech hooked it up and initially I saw two different networks - a 2.4 and a 5g - in addition to my main FIOS network. After an hour, the two new networks disappeared from the available wifi network list and only the main FIOS network remained. The tech said that they had merged into the main network. I'm not sure how to tell whether it is using the 5G or the 2.4 signal. The tech said that it automatically picks up the stronger one for a particular device. (On the front of the extender, the 2.4 and 5G buttons flash every few seconds.)
post #1310 of 1314 Unread Today, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe so. The Verizon tech hooked it up and initially I saw two different networks - a 2.4 and a 5g - in addition to my main FIOS network. After an hour, the two new networks disappeared from the available wifi network list and only the main FIOS network remained. The tech said that they had merged into the main network. I'm not sure how to tell whether it is using the 5G or the 2.4 signal. The tech said that it automatically picks up the stronger one for a particular device. (On the front of the extender, the 2.4 and 5G buttons flash every few seconds.)
I always see both 2.4 and 5G whenever I try to connect.
post #1311 of 1314 Unread Today, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I always see both 2.4 and 5G whenever I try to connect.
In addition to your original FIOS network? I know that the extender is working because, when I go into the bedroom, I'm now getting downloads as high as 90 on some servers where previously it was horrible but I can no longer see either of the two new extender networks. They have morphed into the original FIOS one. Weird.
post #1312 of 1314 Unread Today, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In addition to your original FIOS network? I know that the extender is working because, when I go into the bedroom, I'm now getting downloads as high as 90 on some servers where previously it was horrible but I can no longer see either of the two new extender networks. They have morphed into the original FIOS one. Weird.
To clarify, I see my original wifi network which i assume is the 2.4 signal and also a 5G network that is definitely coming from the MOCA extender.
post #1313 of 1314 Unread Today, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

What kind of FIOS modem are you using? I have the new Gateway modem which has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz built in. Perhaps that is why the extender's new networks don't show up but instead have morphed into the two from the original modem?
post #1314 of 1314 Unread Today, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What kind of FIOS modem are you using? I have the new Gateway modem which has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz built in. Perhaps that is why the extender's new networks don't show up but instead have morphed into the two from the original modem?
Actiontec MI424WR
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page