post #331 of 345 Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliwxdude View Post

It's not really Comcast "withholding" it or being "more aggressive," it's just dependent upon the way the telecast is backhauled to the Comcast SportsNet TOC in San Francisco. The games that DirecTV doesn't carry in HD are those which are broadcast via a fiber backhaul. If it's a satellite backhaul, the game will be in HD on DirecTV.

As it's been mentioned before, CSN Bay Area and CSN California are rumored to be full-time HD channels when the DirecTV-12 satellite comes online, which is supposedly happening sometime "this spring," according to DirecTV.

So with the fiber backhauls it is impossible for DirecTV to shows the games in HD? Thanks.

P.S. The common opinion on this forum (i.e., Keenan) is that DirecTV is withholding the games because DirecTV refuses to carry the HD channel and, therefore, Comcast is withholdng a certain number of HD games as a "penalty".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 345 Old 04-09-2010, 11:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

So with the fiber backhauls it is impossible for DirecTV to shows the games in HD? Thanks.

P.S. The common opinion on this forum (i.e., Keenan) is that DirecTV is withholding the games because DirecTV refuses to carry the HD channel and, therefore, Comcast is withholdng a certain number of HD games as a "penalty".

I don't believe I used the word "penalty", but essentially that is what the person at CSNBA told me via email over a year ago when this came up back then. The actually content of the email is somewhere in the Comcast SF bay thread from around a year ago.
post #333 of 345 Old 04-10-2010, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliwxdude View Post

It's not really Comcast "withholding" it or being "more aggressive," it's just dependent upon the way the telecast is backhauled to the Comcast SportsNet TOC in San Francisco. The games that DirecTV doesn't carry in HD are those which are broadcast via a fiber backhaul. If it's a satellite backhaul, the game will be in HD on DirecTV.

As it's been mentioned before, CSN Bay Area and CSN California are rumored to be full-time HD channels when the DirecTV-12 satellite comes online, which is supposedly happening sometime "this spring," according to DirecTV.

Why is Comcast using fiber backhauls sometimes and satellite other times, especially when DirecTV customers can not receive the fiber backhaul games? So if DirecTV picks on Comcast SportsNet HD than Comcast will no longer use the fiber backhauls? Thanks.
post #334 of 345 Old 04-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought the FCC closed the "terrestrial loophole".
post #335 of 345 Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Having had experience dealing with Comcast carrying Sacramento Kings games in HD at Arco I can tell you the at least in the past Comcast had installed their own MPEG compressor and fed its output to Comcast owned fiber. Other uncompressed HD feeds from the truck were certainly available.

If another carrier wants to get the game video that is not being uplinked it would make sense to me that the other carrier should install their own equipment to get the feed. If they want to pay Comcast to use Comcast equipment I suspect that could be negotiated. In the past when KXTV aired some Kings games KXTV paid Comcast via trading for production services for the use of the Comcast compressor and fiber.

Rory
post #336 of 345 Old 11-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
KVIE HD went live on E* today. Finally.
post #337 of 345 Old 12-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

A crawl on KCRA's 5:00 News stated that they will go dark on Direct TV 1/1/11 unless a carriage agreement can be reached.
post #338 of 345 Old 01-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Can anyone comment on comcast's sd and hd vs Directv? I currently have Directv and i am moving. Is comcast a good option? Any benefits?
post #339 of 345 Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 PM

Liked: 10
Hi, I don't know if this is the correct forum, but it was the only one with "reception".

I'm in Davis. Iget my reception through broadcast digital antenna. Fox 40 sucks. Others OK.

I live by the train tracks. With analog, picture would "wink" but you could still follow the show. In digital, I THOUGHT the problem would be solved. Instead, when a train goes by, it pixilates and you can miss several seconds of show at a time.

Did the FCC ever consider this when they came up with digital TV? Like, giant rolling antenna f-ing up the works? Is there a workaround anyone can think of? And don't say anything that has a monthly fee!

Note: I'm glad I saw this forum, re: lip sync problem. I thought I was just losing my mind!
post #340 of 345 Old 01-25-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Ongoing problem: KCRA has recurring audio dropouts. I had DirecTV until recently, saw them there. Switched to Dish in October, they're still there. That leads me to believe it's the channel, not the carrier.

Do the same problems occur OTA?
post #341 of 345 Old 01-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlesscactus View Post

Hi, I don't know if this is the correct forum, but it was the only one with "reception".

I'm in Davis. Iget my reception through broadcast digital antenna. Fox 40 sucks. Others OK.

I live by the train tracks. With analog, picture would "wink" but you could still follow the show. In digital, I THOUGHT the problem would be solved. Instead, when a train goes by, it pixilates and you can miss several seconds of show at a time.

Did the FCC ever consider this when they came up with digital TV? Like, giant rolling antenna f-ing up the works? Is there a workaround anyone can think of? And don't say anything that has a monthly fee!

Note: I'm glad I saw this forum, re: lip sync problem. I thought I was just losing my mind!

Are you in a position where you can improve your antenna? Also there is a Sacramento OTA thread for over the air issues.

Rory
post #342 of 345 Old 01-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali View Post

Ongoing problem: KCRA has recurring audio dropouts. I had DirecTV until recently, saw them there. Switched to Dish in October, they're still there. That leads me to believe it's the channel, not the carrier.

Do the same problems occur OTA?

I have the same problem with Dish and KCRA. Half of the time I can't get through a weather forecast without an A/V drop. I see no problems OTA however.
post #343 of 345 Old 02-15-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 33
KMAX HD 31 has been added to the Dish Network Local Channels.

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #344 of 345 Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

KMAX HD 31 has been added to the Dish Network Local Channels.

Larry
SF

This is excellent news for baseball fans. Thanks.
post #345 of 345 Old 10-05-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Does anyone know what's going on with KVIEHD on DirecTV. For several days, I have been getting SD only.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page