Sacramento, CA - DBS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 345 Old 04-20-2006, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Sacramento station thread is very long, so I thought it best to start a new one just for LILs (with the Moderator's approval, of course).

The LILs came up yesterday, right on schedule. I first saw their carrier over the weekend (on 99 degrees. Network 11, transponder 26). It may have been on for sometime before that. Signal strength is awesome, compared to the SF spot beam (on 103 degrees, Network 14, Transponder 20).

Last week, I checked with a couple of Sacramento chief engineers, and they had no official word of the channel launch. When I mentioned this on the other thread, someone correctly responded that D* was planning to pick the HDs off the air, so the stations wouldn't need to do anything.

I haven't done much of an A/B comparison with the OTAs yet, but watching Alias last night, I couldn't see any difference - just an occasional minor breakup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 345 Old 04-20-2006, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl033 View Post

The Sacramento station thread is very long, so I thought it best to start a new one just for LILs (with the Moderator's approval, of course).

The LILs came up yesterday, right on schedule. I first saw their carrier over the weekend (on 99 degrees. Network 11, transponder 26). It may have been on for sometime before that. Signal strength is awesome, compared to the SF spot beam (on 103 degrees, Network 14, Transponder 20).

Last week, I checked with a couple of Sacramento chief engineers, and they had no official word of the channel launch. When I mentioned this on the other thread, someone correctly responded that D* was planning to pick the HDs off the air, so the stations wouldn't need to do anything.

I haven't done much of an A/B comparison with the OTAs yet, but watching Alias last night, I couldn't see any difference - just an occasional minor breakup.

I live in sacramento my ota channels work but the hd locals that came up yesterday say channel not found. No Fox 40 either. I have a 3lnb dish I guess i would have to get the 5 lnb dish for them to work. But it seems to make no sense if only nbc cbs abc are online right now.
post #3 of 345 Old 04-20-2006, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I think the official thread title will be changed to "Sacramento, CA - DBS". Thanks for starting this!
post #4 of 345 Old 04-20-2006, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

I think the official thread title will be changed to "Sacramento, CA - DBS". Thanks for starting this!

Bingo.

Nice to see someone sees a method to the madness.

Should take a day or so to make it into the Index.
post #5 of 345 Old 04-20-2006, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott View Post

I live in sacramento my ota channels work but the hd locals that came up yesterday say channel not found. No Fox 40 either. I have a 3lnb dish I guess i would have to get the 5 lnb dish for them to work. But it seems to make no sense if only nbc cbs abc are online right now.

You are correct. You'll need the 5 LNB dish (adds the 99 and 103 degree Ka-Band birds) and an MPEG-4 receiver, such as the H20. I bought my IRD at Best Buy for $200, and a couple of weeks later, got a $200 rebate from DirecTV.
If Fox is not yet up, I'll check again with their local chief engineer. I thought it was on last night, but mis-labeled as 40-2.
post #6 of 345 Old 04-21-2006, 11:10 AM

Since I can get all my locals with my DirecTiVo, I won't be rushing to upgrade, but will be watching to see if they add FSNBA-HD and CSN-HD to the SF and Sacramento spot beams.

As for Fox40, the DirecTv website doesn't show it as available:

www.directv.com/locals
post #7 of 345 Old 05-11-2006, 10:20 AM

Since both Echostar and Directv offer HD LiL in Sacramento, isn't it about time we have thread for us Satellite users?
post #8 of 345 Old 05-11-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Yeah, good idea. E* just started sending HD LIL in the our market.
post #9 of 345 Old 05-12-2006, 01:16 AM

What are people's opinion on the quality of the broadcasts via Dish or Directv?

I recorded and watched my first programs from the new channels on Dish and have to say I did not see much of a difference. I did notice the picture was slightly softer but I am so happy that I can now record more HD programming at the same time I will take the slight ding in quality. Too bad it is the end of the season so I will not be appreciating the 2 extra HD broadcasts I can record (via my ViP 622) for a few months.

Hopefully by the new season Dish and Directv will have the issues with Fox 40 resolved and maybe even soon to be UPN-less 31 will be available.
post #10 of 345 Old 05-15-2006, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Just had E* installed today, so here's my impressions so far:

For the most part, the HD locals look good, however there is an audio sync issue at least on KXTV. It's off about about a half second or so, and pretty noticable. The picture seems a little softer than OTA, but still looks pretty good.
post #11 of 345 Old 05-17-2006, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Please clearly state your provider for the purposes od discussion since in teh Sac market there are now two DBS companies sendind HD LIL

{comments deleted not relevant post-merge}
post #12 of 345 Old 05-17-2006, 11:13 PM

Liked: 12
I am using DISH Network and the ViP211 receiver. So far, KOVR is terrible. I consistently lose audio for a split second and sometimes the video gets scrambled. I haven't noticed this problem on KCRA or KXTV. I was watching CSI NY and lost audio at least 10 times.

If it sounds good, it is good.

- Duke Ellington
post #13 of 345 Old 05-18-2006, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT0404 View Post

I am using DISH Network and the ViP211 receiver. So far, KOVR is terrible. I consistently lose audio for a split second and sometimes the video gets scrambled. I haven't noticed this problem on KCRA or KXTV. I was watching CSI NY and lost audio at least 10 times.

With the 622, I've scheduled all of my HD network recordings (at least the primary ones), to record using the OTA tuner. This allows us to use the other two satellite tuners for watching real-time, or recording from the other channels as a secondary. This way I'll avoid most of the issues with the HD-LiL and get the best quality signal possible.
post #14 of 345 Old 05-18-2006, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

KOVR is trying hard to resolve these issues. When the original SD LILs came up, I remember how crappy many of the were. It took awhile but they did get them fixed. In the meantime, for those of you without good HD OTA, pick up the Canadian HD DBS service. You'll even get HD US network service from the Eastern Time Zone at no extra charge. Can't beat it for 20 bucks a month.
post #15 of 345 Old 05-18-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:

KOVR is trying hard to resolve these issues. When the original SD LILs came up, I remember how crappy many of the were.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the acronym LIL mean?

I did notice the issue on KCRA last night as well. Not as bad as KOVR, but thre none the less.

- Duke Ellington
post #16 of 345 Old 05-18-2006, 10:36 PM

LIL = Local-into-Local

It stands for satellite companies delivering local channels into a local market.
post #17 of 345 Old 05-19-2006, 12:07 AM

Did anybody else notice the dropouts during Without a Trace on E*? I had to check which tuner I was on, on my ViP622. I thought I was on OTA but really it was the LiL. I am going to be bummed when I go back and watch it and all those dropouts are on the season finale.
post #18 of 345 Old 05-19-2006, 06:21 AM

The dropouts made both CSI and Without A Trace unwatchable. Is the problem with the the network, the local station, or DISH?

- Duke Ellington
post #19 of 345 Old 05-19-2006, 12:02 PM

KOVR had OTA problems last night, and since both DirecTv and Dish get their signal from an antenna, they were affected too.
post #20 of 345 Old 05-19-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forecheck View Post

Since I can get all my locals with my DirecTiVo, I won't be rushing to upgrade, but will be watching to see if they add FSNBA-HD and CSN-HD to the SF and Sacramento spot beams.

www.directv.com/locals

FSNBA-HD & CSN-HD are exclusive to Comcast so...don't expect those channels to show up on Directv (or Dish for that matter).
post #21 of 345 Old 05-20-2006, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The dropouts made both CSI and Without A Trace unwatchable. Is the problem with the the network, the local station, or DISH?

I would guess they were problems with E*. I watched them on D*, and there were no dropouts.
post #22 of 345 Old 05-22-2006, 10:09 PM

I have had the Dish Vip 622 receiver for about a month now and I've noticed the following regarding local HD:

- OTA: Picture quality is excellent but I get pixelation sometimes, even though the signal strength is 95-100. For some reason, I've noticed it quite a bit watching Medium on KCRA. Sometimes, the receiver will say "the signal has been lost." I don't get any pixelation when using the TV tuner (Samsung HLR6178).

- LIL: Comparing the LIL and OTA, the LIL doesn't look as good to me. The picture detail is fine but the refresh rate doesn't seem right. It's especially apparent watching live shows like The Tonight Show or SNL or even Oprah; not as apparent with shows like Medium or Desperate Housewives. Live shows look like they're in slow motion or something compared to OTA where they're awesome and lifelike. (I'm sure I'm not using the right terminology here) I also get pixelation but it looks different than with OTA.

Has anybody else noticed these issues? Do I need to get another box from Dish?
post #23 of 345 Old 05-22-2006, 11:58 PM

From what I have read elsewhere the "slow motion" is unfortunately normal. I think it has more to do with the way E* is handling MPEG4.
As for the pixelation I think it KCRA that is having the issues not the 622. I have similiar problems with CBS as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dliubarba View Post

I have had the Dish Vip 622 receiver for about a month now and I've noticed the following regarding local HD:

- OTA: Picture quality is excellent but I get pixelation sometimes, even though the signal strength is 95-100. For some reason, I've noticed it quite a bit watching Medium on KCRA. Sometimes, the receiver will say "the signal has been lost." I don't get any pixelation when using the TV tuner (Samsung HLR6178).

- LIL: Comparing the LIL and OTA, the LIL doesn't look as good to me. The picture detail is fine but the refresh rate doesn't seem right. It's especially apparent watching live shows like The Tonight Show or SNL or even Oprah; not as apparent with shows like Medium or Desperate Housewives. Live shows look like they're in slow motion or something compared to OTA where they're awesome and lifelike. (I'm sure I'm not using the right terminology here) I also get pixelation but it looks different than with OTA.

Has anybody else noticed these issues? Do I need to get another box from Dish?

post #24 of 345 Old 05-23-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattg View Post

From what I have read elsewhere the "slow motion" is unfortunately normal. I think it has more to do with the way E* is handling MPEG4.
As for the pixelation I think it KCRA that is having the issues not the 622. I have similiar problems with CBS as well.

Thanks for the info. Actually, I didn't notice the pixelation when I had the OTA signal going directly to the TV tuner. Also, the signal strength on the 622 is 95-100 so I think it's the box. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this so I can decide to complain to Dish or just accept it.
post #25 of 345 Old 06-22-2006, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

KOVR is trying hard to resolve these issues. When the original SD LILs came up, I remember how crappy many of the were. It took awhile but they did get them fixed. In the meantime, for those of you without good HD OTA, pick up the Canadian HD DBS service. You'll even get HD US network service from the Eastern Time Zone at no extra charge. Can't beat it for 20 bucks a month.

How do get the Canadian HD DBS service.? I live in Sacramento and get my local channels off the air.
post #26 of 345 Old 07-09-2006, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Dish having problem with KOVR's signal. Everything good leaving our transmitter. I have reported this to Dish.

Bob
post #27 of 345 Old 07-14-2006, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
If you see lipsync problems on Dish, it is their problem and not originating with KOVR. I am now a Dish HD subscriber and can verify. I'm guessing this has been going on since day one but have had no viewer complaints. I would suspect other local lipsync problems are also not coming from the stations. I will be in touch with Dish to correct. Please report these problems on this thread, which I monitor daily.

Bob Hess
Director, Broadcast Operations/Engineering
CBS13 KOVR / UPN31 KMAX
post #28 of 345 Old 07-15-2006, 09:31 AM

According to a press release on 7/10/06, D*is now broadcasting all MLB games produced in HD from various Fox RSNs including FSN Bay Area (San Francisco Giants, Oakland A's). How are the A's & Giants games looking?

Does anyone have any info on when we can expect the same on E*? Can't wait, that will finally be my excuse to go out and get the plasma.
post #29 of 345 Old 07-16-2006, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hess View Post

If you see lipsync problems on Dish, it is their problem and not originating with KOVR. I am now a Dish HD subscriber and can verify. I'm guessing this has been going on since day one but have had no viewer complaints. I would suspect other local lipsync problems are also not coming from the stations. I will be in touch with Dish to correct. Please report these problems on this thread, which I monitor daily.

Bob Hess
Director, Broadcast Operations/Engineering
CBS13 KOVR / UPN31 KMAX

I saw lip sync issue on KQCA58 HD on my 622 LIL feed today. The receiver is currently not hooked up to OTA so not able to verify with the OTA feed.
post #30 of 345 Old 07-17-2006, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

After channel surfing last night I think all four of the E* HD LIL channels had lip sync problem.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page