AVS Forum banner

Denver, CO - Satellite

59K views 578 replies 77 participants last post by  CEB II 
#1 ·
Please save a link to this thread if you have an interest in Denver HD locals via DirecTV, Dish Network or 4DTV.

----------------------------------------------------

Dish Network and DirecTV are both currently airing the four major networks in HD. These are the only OTA Denver channels available in HD via DBS:

CBS Ch. 4 (KCNC)

ABC Ch. 7 (KMGH)

NBC Ch. 9 (KUSA)

FOX Ch. 31 (KDVR)

Dish Network does not yet offer FSRM in HD, or otherwise offer local broadcasts of HD Rockies baseball. However, DirecTV is now carrying some HD Rockies games on channels 95, 96 & 97. DirecTV does not currently offer Altitude Sports HD programming, but given their priorities and a pending increase in capacity, it seems reasonable to speculate that they soon will.

You heard it here first! Dish Network will carry "game only content [in HD] from Altitude on Channel 360 [beginning] this Fall." Thanks to milehighmike for procuring this information from Mr. Sahl and Mr. Ergen; and, of course, thank you EchoStar!

(Please respond to correct or update any erroneous information in this summary)

See less See more
#2 ·
I am interested. Was a D* subscriber for 7 years here before leaving for the HD locals and DVR of Comcast. I'm interested in hearing about overall quality of the locals, when PBS will be added, and if E* is adding FSRM. If quality and selection can match Comcast, I would likely switch back to satellite due to programming costs and DVR hard drive size (for now).

#3 ·
Rockies are on D* ch 95 in HD right now. I guess since it's a FSRM broadcast in HD, it's not blacked out for us. And you don't need an MPEG4 box either.

#5 ·
I am relocating from NJ to Westminster/Broomfield, CO in about 5 weeks and am weighing my options. I think Direct TV may be the way to go, as I would be able to stay in touch with my teams via YES & MSG (via the Sports Package). Shame you can't pay extra to get Hi Def versions on satelite though.

I'm presently running a Sony XBR960 (CRT) with Cablevision and have been pleased with the HD quality. A few questions (please don't hold being from New Jersey or a Yankee fan againt me
):

*- Whe I google DirectTV and that area I get a host of companies with varying information. Anyone know the current HD lineup?

*- Would I get better or worse signal strength/picture compared to the local cable company (Comcast?)?

#6 ·
DirecTV's linup for HD here is the four major nets (no PBS). They are showing some Rockies games in HD on channel 95, but that is new and there are reports that the quality is not consistent. All other HD is the same across the nation for them. Comcast has the four major nets plus channels 2 (WB), 12 (PBS), and 20 (UPN) in HD.

As for quality, Comcast has better HD quality than DirecTV. To my eyes, the quality difference is considerable. However, DirecTV shows a lot of YES Yankee games in HD, so that may make the choice more difficult.

#7 ·
I don't have EI. The PQ on 95 looked decent to me.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco /forum/post/0

As for quality, Comcast has better HD quality than DirecTV. To my eyes, the quality difference is considerable.

I expected to read that the PQ was inferior, but I hoped the difference would not be "considerable." That is disappointing.

How do our HD locals look on E*? It would be interesting to read other reviews of the PQ from both sat providers vs. OTA and cable. Also, are there any good reasons to believe that it will improve over time?

Thanks

-Tim

#9 ·
I've commented a couple of times on the OTA thread that the E* locals look pretty good. I haven't done a side by side, at the same time comparison, but I have switched back and forth, using the pinstrips on Leno's suit as an example. IMHO, the PQ was just a tad better OTA.

My 26 yr old son moved back in today (lucky me). He's between apt and condo. Anyway, we hooked up his Samsung with built in ATSC tuner to my E* 811 receiver. He had Comcast at his apt. He thinks the E* PQ is slightly better than Comcast.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by njt /forum/post/0

I am relocating from NJ to Westminster/Broomfield, CO in about 5 weeks and am weighing my options. I think Direct TV may be the way to go, as I would be able to stay in touch with my teams via YES & MSG (via the Sports Package). Shame you can't pay extra to get Hi Def versions on satelite though.

I'm presently running a Sony XBR960 (CRT) with Cablevision and have been pleased with the HD quality. A few questions (please don't hold being from New Jersey or a Yankee fan againt me
):

*- Whe I google DirectTV and that area I get a host of companies with varying information. Anyone know the current HD lineup?

*- Would I get better or worse signal strength/picture compared to the local cable company (Comcast?)?

the pro team games on YES and MSG will be blacked out in the denver area if you have the sports pack. even the less popular teams like the metrostars/red bulls. you'll need to subscribe to the ppv packages to see the live games here and both of those are available on dish and directv, with dish having the edge in the quantity of HD channels and availability of a mpeg4 HD dvr. all of denver's locals are available OTA pretty much all over the city now so you could get by with the HD tivo if you settled on directv.

the HD yankees games on YES are also blacked out in denver.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwit /forum/post/0

Anyone know when Altitude Sports HD might by added the sats, and which provider is likely to get it first?

And in a related question, how many of Altitudes' Nuggets & Avs games are broadcast in HD each year?

Thanks

-Tim

as for NHL all the home games are in HD unless they show up on OLN or NBC. then they may or may not be in HD. lots of away games are in HD too. i know all the Nuggets home games last year were HD as well on altitude

#14 ·
The new DirecTv MPEG-4 HD-DVR (Model HR20-700) was released on a limited basis in the L.A. area yesterday. It may be several weeks before we see it here in Denver, but it is on the way. This box will require the new AT9 dish and a new multiswitch. Early reports from LA are that existing HR10-250 owners are getting a swap offer of the new box, dish and multiswitch for $19.99 handling charge. As usual with D*, this may take several calls to get to the "right" CSR. I will wait a few weeks before attempting to contact D* about this.

Everything you want to know will be posted here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay....prune=60&f=112

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco /forum/post/0

As for quality, Comcast has better HD quality than DirecTV. To my eyes, the quality difference is considerable. However, DirecTV shows a lot of YES Yankee games in HD, so that may make the choice more difficult.

PQ is not just in the eyes -- but in the display -- of the beholder. And the sources material. Since much of my watching is still SD, Comcast has no better quality in that spectrum than DirecTV. And early reviews say the mpeg4 quality on the new receivers improves the PQ on the HD channels as well.

It is all a little subjective, or there would be no need for this thread.

#16 ·
I find Comcast's SD to be considerably better than the SD on D*. I actually perceive the difference to be at least as great as that of HD. Some of the SD football and baseball games were completely unwatchable on D*. Of course, this is all very subjective. However, getting an HD display made the shortcomings of D*'s SD very apparent to me.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutBomb /forum/post/0

as for NHL all the home games are in HD unless they show up on OLN or NBC. then they may or may not be in HD. lots of away games are in HD too. i know all the Nuggets home games last year were HD as well on altitude

I had no idea there was that much HD on Altitude. (Now if the Nuggets could just get some perimeter shooting...) That's great to read!

So, I first called E* to see if they had Altitude in HD. The CSR confirmed I could get the four networks; though she also said that no other Denver channels were available in HD, including sports, and she didn't have a projected time for when that might change.

I then called D*. Either they pass through all Altitude HD in HD or the CSR I spoke to was a sophomoric moron. "If they send it to us in HD, that's how you'll see it," he said confidently and repeatedly. "Can you confirm for me that Altitude sports programming is available to me in HD," I asked him. "I can't guarantee or confirm a specific channel's programming but I can tell you that we show local sports in HD, shall we get you signed up?" I was on a break at work so I didn't have time to call D* back to try to talk to a more intelligent idiot.

I assume you all know as much as me about where an HD Altitude channel may show up? I even called Altitude at 303-405-6100 but their voice mail wasn't working.

It's a struggle deciding which system to go with. Especially with the new D* receiver being released. There's a lot to consider... PQ is the most important factor to me, but local HD sports availability is a close second. I'd like to decide in time for the football (Bronco) season. Which sat would you choose for HD Denver sports airing now and in the future? And... why?

-Tim

#18 ·
I wrote D* this week about a reception problem on the locals (I may have a feed problem on their new dish, not sure). At any rate I also asked about Altitude. This is the reply they sent back.

Dear Mr Martinko,

Thanks for writing to us about your HD concerns .....................

After reviewing my literature here; it shows that we currently have no plans, as of yet, to include Altitude Sports in the HD lineup. I would keep posted on this, due to the many changes that DIRECTV can and will go through in a short period of time. Thanks for your time and letting us know about possible broadcasting issues in your area.

Sincerely,

Chris

DIRECTV Customer Service

I also spoke to a CSR a while back (weeks) who said they would have Altitude this fall. So I guess that would make it a definite 'maybe'.

#20 ·
Noticed last night on Letterman and this morning on Tennis, HD KCNC 4 CBS via DirectTV using the H-20 box the HD programming is absolutely terrible. Before last night everything looked great. Switched to OTA KCNCDT 4-1 via the H-20 and indoor silver sensor antenna and reception is excellent. All other Denver Local HD stations (KDVR 31 FOX, KMGH 7 ABC, KUSA 9 NBC) via DirectTV using the H-20 box look great. This must be an issue with KCNC 4.

Any comments from subscribers to D* using the H-20 box would be appreciated.

#21 ·
I emailed E* to ask if they knew when Altitude HD would be available, as I'm still trying to decide which of the two DBS solutions to go with. Here is part of their caned response:

Quote:
Specific information regarding your request for Altitude Sports HD is not currently available.

Even the above sentence is probably a part of one of their form-letters.

Quote:
We will gladly forward your request to our Programming Department for further consideration. We thank you for your input as we continually review our options in order to provide a compelling lineup for our viewers.

But why not call their bluff? If Dish receives lots of short, to the point, emails requesting Altitude Sports in HD it could help, especially if they're considering it anyway.

If interested, email E* here to request Altitude Sports in HD.

-Tim

#22 ·
I used the email link on E*'s web page last December asking about Altitude HD. Never got a response. Since I know a programmer who works for Echostar, I asked him for Charle Ergen's email address.

I emailed Charlie Ergen directly regarding Altitude HD on December 27. I received a response on December 30 stating that he was sorry no one answered the web page email inquiry and that they were negotiating for Altitude HD "but had nothing to announce yet". Apparently, these negotiations must be terribly intensive and detailed. It's only been about 8 months.

That email was followed by an email about 3 hours later from Eric Sahl, Senior VP of Programming. Among other things, he stated that I was free to contact him anytime regarding E* programming. The end of the email contained the following language:

"This e-mail message is confidential, intended only for the named

recipient(s) above and may contain information that is privileged,

attorney work product or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If

you have received this message in error, or are not the named

recipient(s), please immediately notify the sender at (303) 723.1911,

and delete this e-mail message from your computer."

Mr. Sahl's email address is eric.sahl@echostar.com .

First, based upon the above experience, you'll get no response (like I did) or a canned resonse from the web page email link. Rather useless. If you email Mr. Sahl, you'll still get a useless response but maybe if enough of us do that, someone other than a CSR may take notice.

#23 ·
Now that D* is rolling out HD locals on their MPEG4 satellites, does anyone have an idea about what they will do with the available transponder bandwidth on the MPEG2 satellites when the analog locals stop broadcasting in 2009?

As one with an HR10-250 who gets quality OTA HD locals, I am not interested in the HR20-700 MPEG4 DVR or the H20 MPEG4 receiver, and that Ka/Ku dish is an absolute monstrosity.

However, I am certainly dissatisfied with the HD selection on D* now, and I hope they do not plan to put all new HD programming on MPEG4 satellites only. It would seem feasible to me to use space freed up on the MPEG2 satellites for new HD programming.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuuth /forum/post/0

Now that D* is rolling out HD locals on their MPEG4 satellites, does anyone have an idea about what they will do with the available transponder bandwidth on the MPEG2 satellites when the analog locals stop broadcasting in 2009?

Probably nothing. Ya see 02/17/09 only has meaning for OTA, not satellite or cable. D* may be broadcasting analog for years beyond 2009.

Quote:
However, I am certainly dissatisfied with the HD selection on D* now, and I hope they do not plan to put all new HD programming on MPEG4 satellites only. It would seem feasible to me to use space freed up on the MPEG2 satellites for new HD programming.

All signs point to an MPEG4 world. And, the satellites broadcasting MPEG2 now, can always broadcast MPEG4 later. Remember, they are just relaying a ground based digital transmission. I don't think that it matters to the satellite whether it's MPEG2, MPEG4 or MPEG9.

....jc

#25 ·
Mike, your post gave me some hope that Altitude Sports HD may be added to E*. Unfortunately, it also made me wonder whether telling folks they are "negotiating" is just Dish Network's way of blowing people off. Could you do us a favor and send a second email to the address you have for Charlie Ergen? It would be interesting to read what he says after eight months have past, especially since Hockey and Basketball season are starting-up again soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighmike /forum/post/0

Mr. Sahl's email address is eric.sahl@echostar.com .

First, based upon the above experience, you'll get no response (like I did) or a canned response from the web page email link. Rather useless. If you email Mr. Sahl, you'll still get a useless response but maybe if enough of us do that, someone other than a CSR may take notice.

The email address you've listed sounds great! I hope Eric Sahl receives many different emails from everyone who frequents this thread. As you've said, emailing Mr. Sahl gives us the best chance of getting Altitude Sports HD on Dish Network.

However, if one is inclined to send two emails, I think it may help to send one from the web as well. Be sure to not use your time writing a small letter, though, as you may wish to do when you write to Eric Sahl. The CSR from the web doesn't care about our thoughts, I think it's only the basic subject that he may care about. One small sentence regarding Altitude Sports HD is all that's needed when emailing E* from the web. Over many years, E* has always claimed in their form letters that they keep a tally of what could be construed as requests from the emails they receive. It is this request-count that may be seen by those who matter.

-Tim

#26 ·

Quote:
Mike, your post gave me some hope that Altitude Sports HD may be added to E*. Unfortunately, it also made me wonder whether telling folks they are "negotiating" is just Dish Network's way of blowing people off.

My previous post was not meant to raise any hopes. I thought I worded it rather sarcastically, ending it with the "winking eye" icon.

I'll send Mr. Sahl and Mr. Ergen another email, with my 8 month old email attached, and see what kind of response I get. I really don't think they will say much, even if there is good news. I think they like to announce things like the addition of Altitude HD to their channel lineup in the press, not one-on-one emails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.