post #91 of 104 Old 08-25-2011, 08:45 PM
jvc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwtwo View Post

So, this officially puts the lie to the party line I heard IN THE CHARTER OFFICE (Newtown) about not being able to serve different programming lineups to different counties. There is now literally no excuse not to offer NESN in Litchfield and New Haven counties. I know I sound like a broken record on this, but honestly, Charter, get with it and get it done!

Forget NESN and NECN. Those are Boston related things, we are in Metro NYC! We are in the NYC area, not the Boston area. No, New England is not a state or a metro are and no part of CT is in the Boston Metro area. All Boston sports are out-of-market teams to any part of CT. That NECN needs to be taken off, but it is owned by Comcast and they have juice - and disrespectful customer service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc View Post

Forget NESN and NECN. Those are Boston related things, we are in Metro NYC! We are in the NYC area, not the Boston area. No, New England is not a state or a metro are and no part of CT is in the Boston Metro area. All Boston sports are out-of-market teams to any part of CT. That NECN needs to be taken off, but it is owned by Comcast and they have juice - and disrespectful customer service.

Nonsense. There are loads of Boston fans in Litchfield County, it's within NESN territory, and rival cable companies serving Litchfield offer it. (The silly "territory" distinctions in pro sports TV rights are a joke to begin with.) Litchfield is not a NYC suburb like Fairfield and it's rotten to treat it as such. Tell somebody in Canaan or Cornwall that they're Metro NYC - I suspect they'll politely tell you otherwise. Charter's being lazy as usual and it's disgraceful.
post #93 of 104 Old 09-22-2011, 12:58 AM
jvc

Quote:

Nonsense. There are loads of Boston fans in Litchfield County, it's within NESN territory, and rival cable companies serving Litchfield offer it. (The silly "territory" distinctions in pro sports TV rights are a joke to begin with.) Litchfield is not a NYC suburb like Fairfield and it's rotten to treat it as such. Tell somebody in Canaan or Cornwall that they're Metro NYC - I suspect they'll politely tell you otherwise. Charter's being lazy as usual and it's disgraceful.

I guess that might be the Lictchfield County nearer MA, but then again, there are loads of Cowboys, Lakers and formerly Bulls and 49ers fans as well, but those are out of market teams just like Boston.

NESN does not have a 'territory,' as no part of CT is in a Boston metro region period! This is why NESN and NECN can only break into CT cable systems via Comcast's big bank account. Comcasy created something called "Comcast New England" in which they direct CT (all) toward Boston and surrounding states for customer service.

When I was in New Haven I used to get angry because they used to broadcast the CT network over the NYC ones when they both showed the same programming. COmcast used to lie and say that they did not or that it came from WABC, but I knew that they were lying. The CT channels (allegedly local with a Boston/New England angle, although they call themselves CT news!) have first dibbs on cable systems as part of the 'must-carry' rule where 'local' stations (in CT's case - in-state) must be carried on cable systems even if said systems wanted to exclude them.

CT is unique (I think). It is claimed by Boston (as New England and they want the WHOLE state!), but we are not in the Boston are of any kind! There is no New England DMA (TV market) so we do not have to have Boston stations. CT has it's own TV stations which do not really have the whole state as theirs, but seeing that no other part of the state is a part of an external metro region or TV market (except NYC), the so-called Hartford/New Haven get's CT.

Now, CT is a part of Metro NYC which also includes NJ. Fairfield County is the declared territory (this is real to NYC as opposed to Boston's pride/superficial claims to CT!) in CT for NYC. New Haven and Litchfield are more or less affiliates with New Haven basically NY territory as it is on the Metro-North line. New Haven County also get's Cablevision - a NYC area-only cable system, that Comcast keeps trying to buy.

So CT is it's own market with the Hartford/New Haven (NH is only used because it is the only non-Hartford area state-wide TV station) market and the New York City market, which is the nation's largest market. Boston is out-of-market as well as it's teams. I do not care who likes what teams at the moment, they are not OUR teams, only the NY/NJ teams are ours.

Litchfield is widley considered a NYC suburb, but it is not on the Metro-North line (which kind of says it is NYC) and it is not in the NYC TV market, but it does have a lot of celebrities who live there as it is close by. Litchfield is probably in the Hartford/NH DMA because Hartford county is right next door. The Hartford/NH DMA DOES NOT include Boston or any part of MA, but many of the Hartford area "news" channels make mention of "New England" (they are not a New England news channel, they are CT as they advertise), they talk about MA towns as local to all of CT, they report on Boston sports as local and they of course block out NYC, the Tri-state area and any mention of CT being in metro NYC. They make the invalid assertion (through subjective news) that CT is some how a part of Metro Boston as a state being 'trapped' between NYC and Boston. We are ONLY in metro NYC, not metro Boston.

NESN, NECN and any other Boston related cable channel disguised as a "New England" channel exists only to expand Boston's market. This is why these are cable channels only as CT cannot pull Boston channel of-air as we can NYC channels. NESN and NECN have forced their way onto CT cbale systems with the claim that they provide as 'regional service.' It went unopposed as no one knew about the. So this is why, if you ever wondered, why no one watches or is even aware of NECN but it is still on your cable, this is why. Any other channel would have been off with low viewership like theirs.

I know I am long on this, but I feel it is important for people to know. I used to live in New Haven and in the 80 and 90's, Comcast was Storor Cable. We did get Boston WSBK (38) and some other Boston area channel. once the must-carry rule came into effect, the Boston channels would get blacked out so much that they eventually deleted those channels. WSBK would show Celtics games. So in New Haven, all things Boston got blocked out but all things CT and NYC remained.

Now - enter Comcast. As stated, Boston hates NYC. They hate CT because we are in metro NYC and they hate that! How do I know? Just look at them. I would call up Comcast about the channels and most people would be from a New England state (not CT) they would be shocked that we would get NYC channels. When Brett Farve made his Jets debut, Comcast (I feel a conspiracy) put WFSB on WCBS so we could not see the game! WFSB shows the Patriots, which I do not mind because we see more games without paying! Those Comcast CS reps would get angry that I demanded my NYC stations stay on when they were on.

Lastly (hopefully), Comcast New Haven had begun a terror campaign to start blacking out WABC NY INSTEAD of showing WTNH on top of it! As my example of WSBK showed, it may eventually lead to Comcast pulling WABC from New Haven, as they and WTNH would like. How do I know? New Haven used to get WNYW (5) since I could recall (I am 39) and a couple of years ago, Comcast New Haven pulled WNYW from New Haven. I called and asked why and they acted as if they never heard of the channel! I did an internet search and realized that WTIC (61) asked Comcast to pull it since it is not in the Hartford/New Haven DMA (TV market)! This is why WTIC re-branded itself "Fox CT" since they clearly felt threatened by channel 5 and the power of NYC.

Because of pulling channel 5, we could not even see the Giants game (that normally would have seen) during the time that Dick Blumenthal tried to get the NFL to show it to the whole state. That made me mad! Channel 61 had no business worrying about what we watch in New Haven because they (Hartford) cannot even get channel 5, so why worry or feel threatened by them? I wrote channel 5 and they told me their hands were tied and I can pull it off-air. So I have crossed out WTIC for good.

Now I am in Danbury (sadly, Comcast), but now I am in the NYC proper market and those Hartford stations cannot pull anything at all! Their stations are in SD while the NYC stations are in HD. I have my long-lost channel 5 back and my even longer lost channel 9 (the REAL one) back! Oh yeah, channel 8 developed their fake channel 9 in order to get WWOR pulled from Comcast as a competing channel. If you know the history of WTNH's channel 9, then you know that that was by design.

It feels good to be in the actual NYC market without worry from Hartford stations who cannot compete without dirty tricks. I need to write the NYC stations (5 in particular) to have them pull 61! So, CT is only in the NYC market - the largest. Even if Fairfield County is the only undisputed, official county in the state in the NYC market, that alone makes it bigger than Hartford-New Haven. If we are ever to have sports teams, it would have to be because of that market - not Hartford.
post #94 of 104 Old 01-11-2012, 12:51 PM

Hi, Im a charter/newtown customer & I just bought my first HDTV (samsung UN6420) and love it. I'm a total Newbie so i have loads to learn. Got it hooked up just in time to watch the football game on Monday and something kept happening quite often. It would go like in fast motion, like it was being very subtly sped up at points throughout the game. I also noticed the ESPN ticker that scrolls at the bottom, would scroll kinda choppy and then it would smooth itself out when the picture was moving at a normal motion speed. This went throughout the whole game and was annoying. I tried other HD channels and i got similar results. Some folks have told me that this is a Charter issue not samsung so i turn to you. Has anybody else experienced this? What could the problem be? I called Charter and they have no idea.
post #95 of 104 Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM
jvc

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshack1990 View Post

Hi, Im a charter/newtown customer & I just bought my first HDTV (samsung UN6420) and love it. I'm a total Newbie so i have loads to learn. Got it hooked up just in time to watch the football game on Monday and something kept happening quite often. It would go like in fast motion, like it was being very subtly sped up at points throughout the game. I also noticed the ESPN ticker that scrolls at the bottom, would scroll kinda choppy and then it would smooth itself out when the picture was moving at a normal motion speed. This went throughout the whole game and was annoying. I tried other HD channels and i got similar results. Some folks have told me that this is a Charter issue not samsung so i turn to you. Has anybody else experienced this? What could the problem be? I called Charter and they have no idea.

It could be you TV's "motion blur" (or similar) setting that is on. I am not sure about Charter, but that sounds like a TV function. Because of affects like those, I usually keep them off.
post #96 of 104 Old 01-11-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:

It could be you TV's "motion blur" (or similar) setting that is on. I am not sure about Charter, but that sounds like a TV function. Because of affects like those, I usually keep them off.

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it but nothing. I really think it's the reception. There's like a blink and then it stutters fast and the espn score scroll bar scrolls in a stutter like way, not smooth....this has lasted for about 5 mins and then self corrects itself. I got the Charter guy coming out but i'm affraid it wont do it for him when he's here. Has anybody else experienced this problem?
post #97 of 104 Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I had that problem twice. One time is a faulty hdmi-dvi cable. The other time is was the stb.
post #98 of 104 Old 01-11-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post

I had that problem twice. One time is a faulty hdmi-dvi cable. The other time is was the stb.

When you say STB, you mean cable box?
post #99 of 104 Old 01-12-2012, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshack1990 View Post

When you say STB, you mean cable box?

yes, short for (set top box). Sorry for the acronym, I know there is a lot out there.
post #100 of 104 Old 04-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Suspicious timing right after April Fools Day, but awesome news from Charter today via Patch. NESN apparently is finally becoming available in Litchfield & New Haven counties. Excellent! http://southbury.patch.com/articles/...bury-customers
post #101 of 104 Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 PM
jvc

Quote:

Suspicious timing right after April Fools Day, but awesome news from Charter today via Patch. NESN apparently is finally becoming available in Litchfield & New Haven counties. Excellent! http://southbury.patch.com/articles/...bury-customers

Boston is trying hard to New Englandize CT and pull us out of Metro NYC. What ever they do, they cannot change geography! If they are not trying to buy up everything in CT and put a New England title on it, they are Trojan Horsing their Boston sports. Boston is too far away and unwanted in CT. Not one part of the state is in metro Boston. Tri-state forever - New England NEVER!
post #102 of 104 Old 04-03-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Boston is trying hard to New Englandize CT and pull us out of Metro NYC. What ever they do, they cannot change geography! If they are not trying to buy up everything in CT and put a New England title on it, they are Trojan Horsing their Boston sports. Boston is too far away and unwanted in CT. Not one part of the state is in metro Boston. Tri-state forever - New England NEVER!

Wow! And I thought only us weekenders harbored such feelings.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #103 of 104 Old 06-12-2013, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc View Post

I guess that might be the Lictchfield County nearer MA, but then again, there are loads of Cowboys, Lakers and formerly Bulls and 49ers fans as well, but those are out of market teams just like Boston.

NESN does not have a 'territory,' as no part of CT is in a Boston metro region period! This is why NESN and NECN can only break into CT cable systems via Comcast's big bank account. Comcasy created something called "Comcast New England" in which they direct CT (all) toward Boston and surrounding states for customer service.

When I was in New Haven I used to get angry because they used to broadcast the CT network over the NYC ones when they both showed the same programming. COmcast used to lie and say that they did not or that it came from WABC, but I knew that they were lying. The CT channels (allegedly local with a Boston/New England angle, although they call themselves CT news!) have first dibbs on cable systems as part of the 'must-carry' rule where 'local' stations (in CT's case - in-state) must be carried on cable systems even if said systems wanted to exclude them.

CT is unique (I think). It is claimed by Boston (as New England and they want the WHOLE state!), but we are not in the Boston are of any kind! There is no New England DMA (TV market) so we do not have to have Boston stations. CT has it's own TV stations which do not really have the whole state as theirs, but seeing that no other part of the state is a part of an external metro region or TV market (except NYC), the so-called Hartford/New Haven get's CT.

Now, CT is a part of Metro NYC which also includes NJ. Fairfield County is the declared territory (this is real to NYC as opposed to Boston's pride/superficial claims to CT!) in CT for NYC. New Haven and Litchfield are more or less affiliates with New Haven basically NY territory as it is on the Metro-North line. New Haven County also get's Cablevision - a NYC area-only cable system, that Comcast keeps trying to buy.

So CT is it's own market with the Hartford/New Haven (NH is only used because it is the only non-Hartford area state-wide TV station) market and the New York City market, which is the nation's largest market. Boston is out-of-market as well as it's teams. I do not care who likes what teams at the moment, they are not OUR teams, only the NY/NJ teams are ours.

Litchfield is widley considered a NYC suburb, but it is not on the Metro-North line (which kind of says it is NYC) and it is not in the NYC TV market, but it does have a lot of celebrities who live there as it is close by. Litchfield is probably in the Hartford/NH DMA because Hartford county is right next door. The Hartford/NH DMA DOES NOT include Boston or any part of MA, but many of the Hartford area "news" channels make mention of "New England" (they are not a New England news channel, they are CT as they advertise), they talk about MA towns as local to all of CT, they report on Boston sports as local and they of course block out NYC, the Tri-state area and any mention of CT being in metro NYC. They make the invalid assertion (through subjective news) that CT is some how a part of Metro Boston as a state being 'trapped' between NYC and Boston. We are ONLY in metro NYC, not metro Boston.

NESN, NECN and any other Boston related cable channel disguised as a "New England" channel exists only to expand Boston's market. This is why these are cable channels only as CT cannot pull Boston channel of-air as we can NYC channels. NESN and NECN have forced their way onto CT cbale systems with the claim that they provide as 'regional service.' It went unopposed as no one knew about the. So this is why, if you ever wondered, why no one watches or is even aware of NECN but it is still on your cable, this is why. Any other channel would have been off with low viewership like theirs.

I know I am long on this, but I feel it is important for people to know. I used to live in New Haven and in the 80 and 90's, Comcast was Storor Cable. We did get Boston WSBK (38) and some other Boston area channel. once the must-carry rule came into effect, the Boston channels would get blacked out so much that they eventually deleted those channels. WSBK would show Celtics games. So in New Haven, all things Boston got blocked out but all things CT and NYC remained.

Now - enter Comcast. As stated, Boston hates NYC. They hate CT because we are in metro NYC and they hate that! How do I know? Just look at them. I would call up Comcast about the channels and most people would be from a New England state (not CT) they would be shocked that we would get NYC channels. When Brett Farve made his Jets debut, Comcast (I feel a conspiracy) put WFSB on WCBS so we could niot see the game! WFSB shows the Patriots, which I do not mnd because we see more games without paying! Those Comcast CS reps would get angry that I demanded my NYC stations stay on when they were on.

Lastly (hopefully), Comcast New Haven had begun a terror campaign to start blacking out WABC NY INSTEAD of showing WTNH on top of it! As my example of WSBK showed, it may eventually lead to Comcast pulling WABC from New Haven, as they and WTNH would like. How do I know? New Haven used to get WNYW (5) since I could recall (I am 39) and a couple of years ago, Comcast New Haven pulled WNYW from New Haven. I called and asked why and they acted as if they never heard of the channel! I did an internet search and realized that WTIC (61) asked Comcast to pull it since it is not in the Hartford/New Haven DMA (TV market)! This is why WTIC re-branded itself "Fox CT" since they clearly felt threatened by channel 5 and the power of NYC.

Because of pulling channel 5, we could not even see the Giants game (that normally would have seen) during the time that Dick Blumenthal tried to get the NFL to show it to the whole state. That made me mad! Channel 61 had no business worrying about what we watch in New Haven because they (Hartford) cannot even get channel 5, so why worry or feel threatened by them? I wrote channel 5 and they told me their hands were tied and I can pull it off-air. So I have crossed out WTIC for good.

Now I am in Danbury (sadly, Comcast), but now I am in the NYC proper market and those Hartford stations cannot pull anything at all! Their stations are in SD while the NYC stations are in HD. I have my long-lost channel 5 back and my even longer lost channel 9 (the REAL one) back! Oh yeah, channel 8 developed their fake channel 9 in order to get WWOR pulled from Comcast as a competing channel. If you know the history of WTNH's channel 9, then you know that that was by design.

It feels good to be in the actual NYC market without worry from Hartford stations who cannot compete without dirty tricks. I need to write the NYC stations (5 in particular) to have them pull 61! So, CT is only in the NYC market - the largest. Even if Fairfield County is the only undisputed, official county in the state in the NYC market, that alone makes it bigger than Hartford-New Haven. If we are ever to have sports teams, it would have to be because of that market - not Hartford.

Sorry, but this is one of the most uninformed, ridiculous posts I've ever seen in ANY forum. Had it not been buried in this lightly-used thread, I would have responded faster!

Man, I can barely begin.

1) New Haven is in the Hartford/New Haven DMA, as you state. Any cable coverage of NYC DMA stations is a relic of either loopholes or comparatively ancient OTA coverage, mostly due to geography luck. Your assertation that Comcast has a "terror campaign" against NYC DMA stations outside the NYC DMA is foolish.
2) Most of the Comcast shenanigans you claim are actually a campaign by WTNH to get Fairfield County moved into the Hartford/New Haven DMA.
From http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/WTNH-to-begin-news-partnership-with-the-Post-1061306.php :
Quote:
The move is also part on an ongoing effort by WTNH to have Fairfield County included in the Connecticut broadcast market, or "DMA," which means "designated market area." At present, Fairfield County is considered part of the New York DMA by the Nielsen Co., the leading tracker of television viewership in the United States.
Higgins said the designation of Fairfield County as part of the New York market "doesn't make any sense," and noted that important breaking news, such as Amber Alerts and evacuation announcements, usually receive little attention from the New York TV stations.

To be honest, I think they have a point. The NYC stations do a fairly awful job of actually covering their Fairfield County territory, which is why things like News12 have sprouted up - we're underserved.

You wanted NYC DMA stations in New Haven County? Either 1) move or 2) build a tower. If you go with #2, remember to not leave your tinfoil hat at the top of it, as it might draw lightning!
post #104 of 104 Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 AM
jvc

Thanks for that link. It proves my point of what I have been saying for years - WTNH and the Hartford area stations intentionally blackout any mention of the Tri-state area and NY/NY as it relates to CT. They have a New England agenda which must clearly state hatred for NYC. They serve Boston and it's interests, not our local NY/NJ/CT interests. As you know, NYC is a big city and they cannot cover every inch of the Tri-state everyday (although they should have dedicated sub-channels since these are local channels), although their prime focus seems to be NJ even before NYC. CT they report on, but it is kind of an afterthought many times. If you think that our coverage is lacking, then how do you think that Staten Islanders feel? They hardly get a mention and they are in NYC!

I have been writing WTNH for years and all they have done is lie to me about their intentions. Yes, NYC stations do not report on us regularly, but the Hartford area stations along with WTNH may want us in their fold to do what - make us become Boston sports teams fans? My prime argument with WTNH had always been: "If you claim you don't cross out CT being in metro NYC, why do you not mention it, but report on Boston sports teams as local to us when they are not local to ANY part of CT?" I don't know about you, but I am no where near Boston and I don't want anything to do with regions outside of my own. WTNH and other stations already conspire to block out NYC stations every chance they get. Comcast in CT is called 'Comcast New England" and is based in MA and/or NH, so they have a vested interest to 'reel in' all of 'New England' as they hate CT being a part of metro NYC. One look at a map and you can see that Boston is light years away from here. What sense does it make to even deal with Boston?

Channel 8 is actually treading into another media market where they have no business. Good luck with them trying to fight the flagship ABC station for market share! Do you really think that WABC and all other NYC/NJ media are going to stand by as an AFFILIATE tries to cut into or take away 1M people - most of whom have a lot of money? WTNH must be insane, but it shows the mission they are on and I knew it. When I used to write WTNH about not mentioning the Tri-state area but focusing in Boston, they would claim that "Fairfield County is not in their DMA." I would also inform them that Boston nor any part of MA is either and they would come with the BS that there are 'many Boston sports fans in CT, that's why we report on those teams.' Then I would point out that there are a lot of Dallas Cowboys and Lakers fans too - where are their reports?

See, I am good at catching the lies. WTIC 61 in Hartford got WNYW 5 taken off of Comcast. WTNH blocks out WABC whenever they can. IF WTNH were not in New Haven, I am sure that NH County would be NYC DMA. These low-down stations in CT seem to be the only ones I am aware of in the nation who attempt to cover an entire state instead of their regions. The FACTS are: in CT, you can pull NYC TV, radio off air. You cannot pull Boston media off air. In most of Fairfield County, you cannot received Hartford area media off air. These are different regions/markets with different cultures and they cannot mix no matter how much some try. Hartford is nearer MA and they is where they are oriented towards. FF and NH are closer to NYC and on the Metro-North lines - so that says it all. Also, when the Newtown event happened, who was there first? It was not 8, it was WCBS - our LOCAL station.

I think because CT has TV stations who claim to represent CT, that creates conflict between the two markets. NJ has not real local stations so there is no conflict unless you get into the Philly market of NJ where NYC media acts like WTNH down there and treads on Philly's territory and integrity. Make no mistake about it, these stations know where their territory is but the CT stations (owned by a RI corporation!) wants to get rid of NYC in CT. Imagine that. They want to get rid of NYC here and replace it with Boston - a city 3+ hours away! We will never get sports teams this way. NYC is our ace in the hole for getting anything. If it were not for NYC, this state would not be wealthy. Boston does not make CT wealthy, that's for sure.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page