Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 151 Old 04-24-2007, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Why? Until Spotsy is differentiated from D.C. Metro, I see no hope of any individual attention whatsoever. Unfortunately, most of the communities in Spotsy being served by Verizon FiOS are probably dominated by D.C. commuters that don't watch Richmond television anyway.

However.. there are Prince George's County community stations on the local lineup. I see no reason that they cannot at LEAST add the spotsylvania local access (school info, etc) to our lineup as well... since we can see other counties stuff.

You are right about having to be differentiated to get Richmond stations. I am just glad to have DC stations (all of them) so I can just point my off-air antenna at Richmond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 151 Old 04-24-2007, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My (very quick) skim of the franchise agreement says that the Spotsy PEG stuff is supposed to be up within 180 days. That deadline must be coming up now. Of course, I'm sure there's an escape clause somewhere that basically lets Verizon do whatever it wants.

I have no doubt the PEGs will come before the Richmond stations. People have actually complained (at least to the school system) about missing the Spotsy Schools channel for school closings. I assume somehow, some way, that's been passed on to the proper people with the Cable Commission.
post #93 of 151 Old 04-24-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:

My (very quick) skim of the franchise agreement says that the Spotsy PEG stuff is supposed to be up within 180 days. That deadline must be coming up now. Of course, I'm sure there's an escape clause somewhere that basically lets Verizon do whatever it wants.

That would be between Wed May 2nd and Friday May 4th (sometime that week).. my question is if it is NOT done by then.. I guess we have a right to complain about it?
post #94 of 151 Old 05-19-2007, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any new FiOS TV customer out there? If so, what neighborhoods are being targeted for new service?

May Installations:

Farrell Lane
Kingswood Subdivision
Lafayette Village Subdivision
Lee Hill School Drive
Olde Greenwich Drive
Spotswood Estates
post #95 of 151 Old 05-26-2007, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www22.verizon.com/NROneRetail...ngtonMetro.pdf

Hey, check it out. They actually list our local government and county schools channels. Has anyone actually ever seen that programming on those channels (35 and 36)?
post #96 of 151 Old 05-27-2007, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

http://www22.verizon.com/NROneRetail...ngtonMetro.pdf

Hey, check it out. They actually list our local government and county schools channels. Has anyone actually ever seen that programming on those channels (35 and 36)?

Nice to see the PEG channels being added to the lineup, but what about the Richmond HD locals? I though they were supposed to be available to country residents months ago?
post #97 of 151 Old 05-27-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

To be clear, the PEG content isn't actually on Channel 35 or 36 (yet). It's just a test pattern, and quiet honestly, I'm never on a channel in the 1-50 range, so I can't tell you how long that test pattern has been there. For all I know it could've been there three months ago.
post #98 of 151 Old 05-29-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:

To be clear, the PEG content isn't actually on Channel 35 or 36 (yet). It's just a test pattern, and quiet honestly, I'm never on a channel in the 1-50 range, so I can't tell you how long that test pattern has been there. For all I know it could've been there three months ago.

I have checked for the local channels for a while.. and the 'test pattern' has been there ever since they renumbered the channels (quite a few months ago). They have actually added more local channels (fairfax/stafford county stuff and GMU and NVCC school channels).. but no fredericksburg.
post #99 of 151 Old 05-29-2007, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In the March Cable & Telecom Commission minutes it states, "Mr. Miller addressed the following issues: ...Status of Richmond local channels - Marketing has no plans to bring local programming from the Richmond area and broadcast it to Spotsylvania or any other franchises."

I just don't understand why Verizon would not wish to at least match the current Comcast/Adelphia lineup of providing WRIC (ABC), WTVR (CBS), and WWBT (NBC)...especially since so many area residents drive south to the capitol city of Richmond?

Additionally, why is Comcast/Adelphia permitted to provide the three Richmond area locals above, when the FCC's list of Significantly Viewed Stations, page 435, only permits WTVR (CBS) and WRLH (FOX) to be carried by MSO (cable or satellite) in Spotsylvania County? Am I reading this wrong or is Comcast/Adelphia violating 47 U.S.C 340(c)(2)?

Ok, I just read 340(c) which led me to read 534, 325(b) and 338. According to 534:

(C) Market determinations
(i) For purposes of this section, a broadcasting station's market shall be determined by the Commission by regulation or order using, where available, commercial publications which delineate television markets based on viewing patterns, except that, following a written request, the Commission may, with respect to a particular television broadcast station, include additional communities within its television market or exclude communities from such station's television market to better effectuate the purposes of this section. In considering such requests, the Commission may determine that particular communities are part of more than one television market.
(ii) In considering requests filed pursuant to clause (i), the Commission shall afford particular attention to the value of localism by taking into account such factors as
(I) whether the station, or other stations located in the same area, have been historically carried on the cable system or systems within such community;
(II) whether the television station provides coverage or other local service to such community;
(III) whether any other television station that is eligible to be carried by a cable system in such community in fulfillment of the requirements of this section provides news coverage of issues of concern to such community or provides carriage or coverage of sporting and other events of interest to the community; and
(IV) evidence of viewing patterns in cable and noncable households within the areas served by the cable system or systems in such community.

It is unfortunate that SV appears to mean different things for satellite and cable.
post #100 of 151 Old 06-13-2007, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Lessons I've learned about this half-attempt to bring FiOS to Spotsy: you don't get any local weather data except on the widget, and of course the widget is basically just an outdated feed from Weather.com or whatever provider Verizon has.

The Weather Channel is bringing you weather from about 50 miles away in NoVA. All you've got are the subchannel radar feeds. Even the EAS is transmitting data for some other county, or do they just feed all alerts within the entire Wash-Metro coverage area to all cities and counties?

In other words, if there's ever a tornado that sweeps through Spotsy, no one with FiOS will ever be the wiser unless a Washington station breaks coverage to warn about it, which unlike Richmond, they almost never do (not that I'm complaining--I despise that kind of needless breaking weather coverage that interrupts regular programming for a harmless thunderstorm or rainstorm like they do at the drop of a hat at half the Richmond stations).

Nevertheless, I'd think it'd be illegal for Verizon to not provide local EAS alerts (unless as I mentioned they just shotgun all the possible alerts within the coverage area to all the cities and counties and let the viewers sort through it).
post #101 of 151 Old 06-14-2007, 04:08 AM

I agree, I miss my "local on the 8's"...
post #102 of 151 Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lessons I've learned about this half-attempt to bring FiOS to Spotsy...

"Half-hearted attempt" pretty much describes Verizon's deployment effort in my opinion. We're almost nine (9) months into the FiOS TV franchise and, other than the initial build-out areas, there appears to be no interesting by Verizon to deploy FiOS in other sections of the county. For example, there are reasonably populated areas belonging to the Chancellor I and Spotsylvania central offices...however, while Verizon is busy tearing up Fairfax County (I see it daily when commuting into the Fair Lakes area), the majority of Spotsylvania residents are being ignored. Not only do I get to hear from all my co-workers getting FiOS broadband and TV services, I get to listen to probably a half-a-dozen or so FiOS commercials on TV and Radio. While I wasn't expect Verizon to dig-up the County overnight, I certainly wasn't expect such a low-level of activity in the area.

The tongue-and-cheek comment that I made in October about FiOS being 3-miles and 3-years away appears to be painfully accurate. Perhaps it's time to write the local newspaper and start posting contact information (name, address and phone number) for leadership at Verizon Virginia Inc. There is very little the County can do (ok, there is nothing they can do) to speed up deployment of Verizon's broadband and video service. However, potential consumers can speak up and tell Verizon to allocate Corporate fund$ to build-out densely populated areas here in Spotsy.

Anyway, according to Paul Miller, Verizon's Franchise Service Manager, they have no plans to offer any of the Richmond locals...just the DC locals. Why is this? There are at least two two Significantly Viewed Richmond area locals that Verizon is permitted to carry, per the FCC, here in Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania. I don't understand why Mr. Miller would state, "Marketing has no plans to bring local programming from the Richmond area and broadcast it in Spotsylvania" vice working to make this happen...especially since the Richmond locals are being carried by Comcast (aka Adelphia). If we are "truly" considered part of Verizon's Northern Virginia area, then we rate the same consideration when it comes to the build-out as does Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William counties. If not, then Verizon needs to light-up the Richmond channels as-soon-as-possible.
post #103 of 151 Old 07-28-2007, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-...idents-to.html

Fredericksburg has approved a franchise. I'd assume that every neighboring locality that grants a FiOS TV franchise will boost the chances of Verizon investing more in Spotsy as well. I'd be curious to know where the 1000 already-capable residents are in Fredericksburg and what zone captures the 9000 total residents that are apart of the franchise.

On a separate note, I saw Verizon laying more pipes or fiber or something on the opposite side of Courtland Elementary along Smith Station Road. I never saw them go all the way to Courthouse Road though. As much as I saw, they stopped in front of the County Schools Technology center thing that used to be the old school board office.
post #104 of 151 Old 07-30-2007, 05:35 PM

Well, let's see...

There are almost 1000 in the North Lee Hill subdivisions alone (Lee Hill North, Troon, Watford Village, The Fairways). Then there's Lee's Crossing, Cavalry Ridge and the rest of Mine Rd and Landsowne Rd, including Artillery Ridge and the older subdivisions. Then we have all of the new subdivision along the Spotsylvania Pkwy and parts of Fox Point. There's many of the subdivisions along Courthouse Rd. There's also all of the older houses over by Lafayette Blvd. Basically, the majority of the Lee's Hill CO. Verizon is currently working on the Lee Hill South subdivision. So, they easily pass the 1000 home mark and are getting closer to the 9000.

On another note, are the PEG channels active yet? Verizon has been wired and ready to turn them on for a while. The hold-up had more to do with the county than Verizon.
post #105 of 151 Old 08-03-2007, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What about the large number of folks who are not supported by the Lee Hill CO?

What about the thousands of residents connected to Chancellor Five Mile Fork and Chancellor Wilderness who are less than 2-miles from Route 3? Many of us still cannot get Verizon DSL?

In my case, I have been on Verizon's DSL waiting list since September 2000...that is seven (7) years next month. I am sorry, but there are three (3) Super Wal-Marts within seven miles of our home and I feel that Verizon has largely ignored the needs of county residents for several years. Heck, I cannot even order CAVTEL as an alternate telephone and TV provider simply because Verizon does not offer DSL in my area. Even more outrageous is that our former Holleybrooke subdivision address now has DSL...even though I live almost the same distance away from their switching station on the corner of Piedmont Dr. and Smith Station Rd. from our current home

The County needs to ensure that rural residents are being adequately served. There is NO REASON why I shouldn't receive Verizon DSL living 2.5 miles off of Route 3 (5-Mile Fork CO), less than 1 miles from the Piedmont-Smith Station switching station, and in a subdivision with 80+ other homes. I certainly understand the economic challenges Verizon faces in deploying FiOS state-wide, but I certainly don't live on a farm in rural Virginia either. While the County may have a limited say in how FiOS services are deployed throughout the County, I feel they have an obligation to demand that "underserved residents" be treated fairly when rolling-out new services. I am sure this happening on some level, but I just needed to voice my concerns with what I am seeing at this time...
post #106 of 151 Old 08-05-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcobb View Post

On another note, are the PEG channels active yet? Verizon has been wired and ready to turn them on for a while. The hold-up had more to do with the county than Verizon.

Still nothing. Ironic, since the Spotsylvania County government phone recording that they play when anyone puts you on hold mentions "new" changes/improvements to the county channels. Whatever's going on with that, I imagine we won't see any movement until this winter when the ever-increasing number of local Verizon subscribers realize that they don't actually get the county channels for school closings, can't tune into The Weather Channel for local updates, and only get sporadic coverage of local closings on the Washington channels.
post #107 of 151 Old 08-09-2007, 07:40 PM

riffjim4069,

My statistics stated on the number of current residents served was a direct response to URFloorMatt regarding "I'd be curious to know where the 1000 already-capable residents are...". Now I realize that the article was referring to the actual City of Fredericksburg and not the surrounding area.

There are many more than 1000 Spotsylvania residents being served.

On to your comments...

What about the large number of folks who are not supported by the Lee Hill CO?
As with any company's rollout of a product, they start somewhere. They chose the Lee Hill CO for their initial rollout. They do have plans to move to the other COs within time. Unfortunately, that doesn't give you their product now. Most likely you won't see it for quite a while. Let's compare that to any other provider. There isn't a Cable TV company existing that hit every resident within a specific area in a short amount of time. Laying new lines takes time, effort and money.

What about the thousands of residents connected to Chancellor Five Mile Fork and Chancellor Wilderness who are less than 2-miles from Route 3? Many of us still cannot get Verizon DSL?
Once again, many of the residents connected to those COs are able to get DSL. The fact that one individual, or a subdivision for that matter, cannot get a service does not mean they are being neglected. As you know, there are physical limitations to DSL....that distance is measured in wire distance, not physical distance.

The County needs to ensure that rural residents are being adequately served...
I believe Spotsylvania is doing a pretty good job (within the state law) of making sure Verizon provides the best service possible to the most residents possible. As those who were involved with the push for the new VA franchising laws know, the counties are now vastly limited on what they can "demand". Spotsylvania did what it could within its means.

Having said all that, I realize it doesn't help anyone get FiOS internet or TV service faster. However, Verizon had to start somewhere.
post #108 of 151 Old 08-09-2007, 07:41 PM

URFloorMatt,

I will check on the status of the PEG channels. They should be active by now. The holdups were previously due to the County.
post #109 of 151 Old 08-12-2007, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

When I pop into this thread it usually reminds me to check on the PEGs and see what's what. It turns out one of the PEGs, Channel 35, is active now. It looks like 35 is the county channel (as opposed to the county schools channel).
post #110 of 151 Old 08-15-2007, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

We got the new IMG at 4:00 a.m. this morning.

I miss the Reminder button already. They're adding it back in a Q4 update, according to the master thread. Seriously, how did that slip through the cracks?
post #111 of 151 Old 08-21-2007, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just plugged in my address and viola!...I received, "Great News! FiOS TV & Internet are available." Of course, my wife just flew down to the Dallas over the weekend and I used the address of the new home we just bought. Since FiOS won't come to us, we're going to FiOS.
post #112 of 151 Old 10-06-2007, 06:56 AM

Just wanted to know that BEFORE the school year started, they did get the school channel up. HOWEVER.. I think you should notice that the SCHOOL channel is a 'power point presentation' and so is the county channel. I would be VERY SURPRISED to see a 'live event' show up on the channel at this time.

Also are you REALLY sure you want FiOS TV yet? I just went through TWO WEEKS w/o a program guide AT ALL because of some problem.. and the program guide they do provide is WRONG all the time.. premier shows show up as reruns or shows with different names so when you DVR it is wrong. DirecTV actually looks like it's 'rolling out' more HD shows.. where is Verizon with this? They are now DEAD LAST between Dishnet and directv in the number of HD channels available and haven't done any channel update in MONTHS.

Their VOD service had more selections about 9 months ago than it does now.. that's been dropped down too (can't handle the work?)! The only GOOD thing is the price is cheaper and the channel quality of what they have is excellent.

Customer service is actually not very good either - when I had those technical problems it took me about 6-7 phone calls over 1 week to get them to call me back with someone experienced since the phone reps are not very good at handling TRUE problems - i.e. it's not my house it's the main connection!! (And THREE times I've been 100% right.. and the LOCAL verizon guys even came to my house to talk to me because the dumb phone reps can't get the information right.) At least they gave me a month free for all the trouble of the bad reps! (They are in TRAINING btw.. so don't expect them to know anything!)

So.. don't be too sad you don't have FiOS yet.. it's still a 'work in progress'. I do have to say the home media DVR is VERY NICE though and I'd stick with them unless satellite could offer something comparable.
post #113 of 151 Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Both PEG channels have always relied substantially on powerpoint presentations. That's never stopped them from airing school board meetings, etc.

Also, A&E HD and Fox Business SD were added Monday.

According to the master thread, we can expect a "few" HD additions during Q4 (along with rollout of the upgraded IMG, which has been confirmed to reinstate Reminders and Favorites options present in the old IPG, and presumably fix, among other things, the constantly incorrect programming information that plagues the guide). Verizon has stated publicly that it is planning its "major" HD push in Spring 2008 as it begins to dump its analog tier. Coinciding with the analog shutoff will be the rollout of a super-cheap, compact, and featureless Moto STB.

On a separate note, also according to the master thread, Verizon allegedly has carriage rights for CSN-MA HD but is uplinking via land line and must install that connection as well as complete blackout technology before it can be added. It should be available "soon" and will probably be announced only shortly before launch (which I guess means in similar fashion to A&E HD and Fox Business SD).
post #114 of 151 Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

On a separate note, also according to the master thread, Verizon allegedly has carriage rights for CSN-MA HD but is uplinking via land line and must install that connection as well as complete blackout technology before it can be added...

I guess Verizon can't just have someone "flip a switch" while waiting for this blackout technology to be installed. Of course, perhaps they should talk to Comcast if they are truly interested in "complete blackout" technology...when it rains, cable and broadband services are blacked-out; when it gets hot, cable and broadband services are blacked-out; when it gets cold, cable and broadband services are blacked-out.

I just hope this thread doesn't get hijacked and renamed to the Washington DC / Baltimore MD FiOS TV thread.
post #115 of 151 Old 10-19-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as CSN-MA HD is concerned, it's not clear that Verizon has finished installing the line to uplink yet, let alone solved the blackout issue.

Other recent developments: the new Discovery HD networks will apparently go live on 10/26. History HD content has popped up in the HD-VOD markets, so it's likely that History HD will be coming sometime soon as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffjim4069 View Post

I just hope this thread doesn't get hijacked and renamed to the Washington DC / Baltimore MD FiOS TV thread.

Perhaps the irony is that it would make sense to merge all the Washington FiOS folks together, since their product is actually uniform.
post #116 of 151 Old 11-09-2007, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Discovery HD was added recently to channel 846 and CSN-MA HD to channel 829. According to the master thread, however, both--plus Nat-Geo HD which shares a QAM slot with Discovery HD--appear to be compressed, and noticeably lower bit rates on all three would seem to confirm.

One step forward; two steps back...
post #117 of 151 Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 AM

I am scheduled to get Fios installed in a couple of weeks. I have been concerned about exactly what the current channel lineup is. If you go on verizon's website, their channel lineup has no local channels. The person at Verizon was no roadmap. He suggested I get get basic cable to supplement Fios with the local channels. UGH!!! I want to get away from Comcast! Could anyone help me out with this? Otherwise the boss (my wife) might tell me to forget it for now.
post #118 of 151 Old 12-12-2007, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shap1234 View Post

I am scheduled to get Fios installed in a couple of weeks. I have been concerned about exactly what the current channel lineup is. If you go on verizon's website, their channel lineup has no local channels. The person at Verizon was no roadmap. He suggested I get get basic cable to supplement Fios with the local channels. UGH!!!

Are you kidding me???? Get cable to sup FiOS???? That person should be fired! What is your zipcode there? I'd bet the "locals" ARE on FiOS...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #119 of 151 Old 12-12-2007, 07:17 AM

my zipcode is 22408
post #120 of 151 Old 12-12-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shap1234 View Post

my zipcode is 22408

Wow... That channel line-up is all over the place... No analog locals listed, HD for FOX and PBS, but only the digital sub channels of ABC, NBC, CBS are listed. Very confusing...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page