Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 151 Old 11-02-2006, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Verizon Launches FiOS TV Service in Spotsylvania County, Virginia

I just received notice from my fellow Cable Choice Now Coalition! co-chair from Verizon. "We opened for FiOS TV sales yesterday in Spotsylvania County. Please note that we've made repeated references to the product's superior picture and sound quality, as you've suggested all along."

Based on this information, I am starting this Spotsylvania County/Fredericksburg VA FiOS TV thread to track issues pertinent to area residents.

Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania FiOS TV Timeline:

Spotsylvania County:
Cable TV Franchise Discussions since December 2004 Negotiations underway
8/29/2005: Verizon was seen running the fiber down Mine Rd. FYI: one of their Central Offices is on Mine Rd. near Rt.1 & Mine.
9/9/2005: S&N Communication Inc., an authorized Verizon contractor, placing "door hangers" in various Lee's Hill area subdivisions.
9/27/2005: Seen running fiber near the Lee's Hill area subdivisions.
10/3/2005: Cable TV Franchise Agreement mired in the County bureaucratic process. Priority right now is dealing with the Adelphia/TimeWarner/Comcast transfer and Cable Choice is a distant 2nd on the list.
12/23/2005: The County has finally moved past the pending Adelphia/Comcast transition and will focus their attention on the Verizon Franchise Agreement starting in January.
3/9/2006: Spoty officials are on the record as saying Verizon has no desire to engage in cable franchise discussions until the new Viriginia Cable Bill takes effect on 1 July 2006. This is mosly likely Verizon's standard operating procedures throughout the state.
7/6/2006: Franchise Application filed with the County.
9/14/2006: The Spotsylvania County Cable TV & Telecommunications commission voted unanimously to approve the agreement with a few conditions.
9/23/2006: Verizon nearing approval for cable TV franchise in Spotsylvania County
10/17/2006: Notice of Public Hearing posted in Fredericksburg Free Lance Star
10/24/2006: Cable TV options coming to Spotsy
11/02/2006: Verizon Launches FiOS TV Service in Spotsylvania County Virginia
11/03/2006: Cable ready in Spotsylvania

Available Neighborhoods:

11/02/2006: Breckenridge, Carriage Hill, Fox Pointe, Lees Crossing, Lees Parke, Meadows and Mill Garden, Lees Hill North, Troon, Watford Village

Channel Lineup:

FiOS TV Launch-Spotsylvania.doc 58.5k . file

VA_WashingtonMetro.pdf 126.6474609375k . file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 151 Old 11-02-2006, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

FiOS TV now is available in parts of the following developments: Breckenridge, Carriage Hill, Fox Pointe, Lee's Crossing, Lee's Parke, Meadows and Mill Garden.
post #3 of 151 Old 11-02-2006, 02:54 PM

It is actually available in a few other subdivisions not mentioned as well (e.g., Lees Hill North, Troon, Watford Village).
post #4 of 151 Old 11-02-2006, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, so has anyone placed their order? Also, has anyone seen a channel lineup, or will we receive the same channels as Nothern Virginia? I'm tempted to move.
post #5 of 151 Old 11-03-2006, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The lineup, at least initially, will be the same as those receiving service up in NOVA. I wonder if the Richmond locals will be added once then come online and are made available to customers in Richmond and Henrico County?
post #6 of 151 Old 11-03-2006, 11:05 AM

I know of two people that have already placed their orders...one in Lee's Crossing and one in Watford Village.
Yes, initially the line-up will be the same as NOVA. The questions regarding the Richmond stations was asked at one of the recent Cable Commission meetings. The Verizon rep stated that both the non-HD and HD versions would be added as they came online.
post #7 of 151 Old 11-04-2006, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

11/3/2006 - Free Lance Star

Little more than a week after a 6-0 franchise approval vote by the Spotsylvania Board of Supervisors, Verizon began offering its new fiber optic cable TV and Internet access service to Lee Hill-area customers.

FiOS TV became available yesterday in parts of Breckenridge, Carriage Hill, Fox Pointe, Lee's Crossing, Lee's Parke, Meadows and Mill Garden.

Harry Mitchell, a regional spokesman for Verizon, said the company will expand availability in the county as it upgrades to all fiber optics.

Cox Communications and Adelphia/Comcast Cable had previously divvied up Spotsylvania with competition only from satellite TV services.

"No longer will customers be at the mercy of a single cable-TV company," said Robert W. Woltz Jr., president of Verizon Virginia.

FiOS TV Premier, the top tier service, includes nearly 200 video and music channels for $39.95 a month.

Bundling FiOS TV service, FiOS Internet Service and the Verizon Freedom Value unlimited calling plan costs $105 a month.

The service offers two dozen high-definition channels and about 3,000 on-demand titles.

Included is a dual-tuner, HD-capable digital video recorder that allows users to pause and rewind live TV, record two shows simultaneously, and fast-forward.

FiOS TV Widgets--a free interactive feature--allows easy access to local weather and traffic.

Package and pricing details can be found online at verizon fios.com/tv. Lee Hill-area customers may call 1-800-880-2941 to learn if service is available in their neighborhood.

Full Story
post #8 of 151 Old 11-04-2006, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brcobb View Post

The questions regarding the Richmond stations was asked at one of the recent Cable Commission meetings. The Verizon rep stated that both the non-HD and HD versions would be added as they came online.

Is there any anticipated timeline for that? No Richmond stations is a deal breaker, unfortunately.

I've been itching to get off the Adelphia/Comcast train to mediocrity for quite some time now.
post #9 of 151 Old 11-05-2006, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Is there any anticipated timeline for that? No Richmond stations is a deal breaker, unfortunately.

I've been itching to get off the Adelphia/Comcast train to mediocrity for quite some time now.

I believe Verizon has approached WRIC (ABC) and WRLH (FOX) about equipment and installation issues, and perhaps other Richmond area broadcasters as well (it's in the Richmond HDTV thread). I don't imagine this will be a long wait since they were awarded a cable franchise by Henrico County during the summer.
post #10 of 151 Old 11-05-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffjim4069 View Post

I believe Verizon has approached WRIC (ABC) and WRLH (FOX) about equipment and installation issues, and perhaps other Richmond area broadcasters as well (it's in the Richmond HDTV thread). I don't imagine this will be a long wait since they were awarded a cable franchise by Henrico County during the summer.

Yep, they are currently in the process of getting the fiber link connected at the Richmond stations. Once that is done, the transmission process up to Spotsylvania is pretty simple. I don't know of a specific timeline. However, I would bet on sooner rather than later.
post #11 of 151 Old 11-06-2006, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

November 2006 - Deployment Schedule

Fredericksburg County (aka Spotsylvania)
Breezewood Drive
Courthouse Road
Ediburgh Drive
Hillary Court
Leavells Road
Woodfield Drive
post #12 of 151 Old 11-06-2006, 04:54 PM

As of today, there are over 40 orders for FiOS TV in the Verizon system.
post #13 of 151 Old 11-14-2006, 07:33 PM

I live in one of the areas of Spotsylvania being serviced by FiOS TV. I put in my order on November 1st actually on the web (before it was annouced Verizon made it available) and got an install date for Nov. 16. I will let you know what channel lineup I receive. I have a Media Center PC and I noticed when I plugged in my zipcode back in September, it had a selection for Verizon/Herndon based on the Spotsylvania zipcode for my station list. The only difference I think will be in the local block of channels. I received my confirmation call today that the install was on for Thursday - so lets see how it goes. Should be quick considering I already have FiOS internet and have RG6 cable for Satellite (I ran those cables myself).
post #14 of 151 Old 11-15-2006, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted!
post #15 of 151 Old 11-16-2006, 03:35 PM

I just got the TV service installed today - having switched from DIRECTV. The picture quality is the same as DIRECTV on SD and HD (I can't tell the difference between FiOS TV and DIRECTV). There is no signal fade or degredation though via FiOS at ANY time. I have watched TV now for about 2-3 hours and not one glitch on the FiOS TV. The spotsylvania channel lineup (at least for now) is the EXACT same as the Northern VA/Herndon one as posted on Verizon's website. However, the local channel entries (QUITE A FEW) are completely blank - no programs and no program guide data. There are a few channels in the 30-45 range which look like a clump may be reserved for Richmond stations - we will see in the future. For now, there are NO LOCAL spotsylvania only channels. All of the over-the-air digital channels from northern virginia and the local plus are all available. The HD channels do NOT come in on regular boxes (they are in the channel lineup and selectable) but any show broadcast regular definition and the local plus digital do (the regular definition is available on the <50 locals anyhow). The on-demand show selection is very impressive and definitely more expansive than that which Adelphia had offered (this was from a year ago when I had cable though...) and of course DirecTV doesn't offer this at all. Another nice feature of the DVR is if you are watching live TV and decide to record a show half way through - it takes and uses the buffered live data and records the ENTIRE show. Hence if you finish watching the show live you will have the full show and not from where you recorded. Others may have this feature as well.. but I just wanted to note the Verizon FiOS TV Media DVR does this.

The installer took about 3 hours (even with all of the cables already run except the main COAX for the cable) and they setup all the boxes and remotes for you (even programming the remote control codes).
Sad to say.. but all the remotes are the 'worse' scientific atlanta remotes. They are ok but definitely the key response is lacking on the remotes as some have mentioned.

I have the media manager option and it works flawlessly just as advertised. I can record on the main TV and fast forward, pause, rewind on remote boxes from recorded DVR material anywhere in my house from the standard boxes. I can also view music and my pictures loaded on my computer remotely from my DVR ONLY - nice to be able to sit at the 'big TV' and view the stuff from my computer there. Supposedly I can do this from the regular boxes, but it doesn't work yet and the manual says this is not available yet. Also is nice to be able to play music files on my nice audio system (better than the one on the computer)!

I can definitely say.. from the first day of use.. I would not be switching back to DIRECTV or anyone else unless I leave the FiOS TV area and am very pleased for the quality of what I am receiving - especially at a lower cost for the same level of service!
post #16 of 151 Old 11-16-2006, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Bcrane, I'm curious as to how many TVs you have feeding off the FIOS.

I ask because, with Adelphia, I consistently have problems with complete signal dropouts on the digital tier and I've been told that it's because I just have the cable split too many ways--7 TVs total, three of which have digital boxes, one of which is an HD box, plus an additional line for broadband access. I'm a little skeptical that this is the actual reason for the digital dropout because it has only ever happened on my HD box and even my loss has not always been consistent: I have lost all digital including HD once but other times I have just lost either the HD signal or the HBO tier, or the HBO tier and the digital tier but not the HD tier, but I suppose this is a topic for the other Fredericksburg-area thread.

Anyway, I'm just not very knowledgeable about this particular facet of cable distribution into the home (or how FIOS differs), and I am very curious as to whether I could expect improved service from FIOS in this regard. My other concern about FIOS is that I'd have to get a minimum of six digital boxes to receive any kind of comparable channel selection to Adelphia, since you receive broadcast channels only without a box.

The reason I've never seriously considered DirecTV is precisely because, after the fourth TV, service becomes exceedingly expensive.
post #17 of 151 Old 11-17-2006, 04:46 AM

In answer to your question, I currently have 3 regular digital boxes and the single media DVR. Verizon installed a 6 way splitter (with 11.5dB loss at each port) of which I am using four terminals for the 4 feeds, 1 terminal for the feed which connects BACK to the Verizon router and feeds the Multimedia over Coax (MoCA) and leaving one free terminal. HOWEVER, I have my upstairs feed (one RG6 cable which runs basement to attic and goes to my 4 bedrooms) into a 4 way splitter with 8dB loss into my Master Bedroom. My max loss is the about 20dB running into my Master Bedroom. I see no reason I could not place a 4-way splitter on every single output giving the possibility of easily feeding 20 boxes. I am not sure after 20dB of splitting I would want to go further. I approximate about a 3dB signal loss though the entire length of RG6 in the house. Given I saw somewhere Verizon had a 55dB dynamic range, this would leave a good 32dB margin. Usually, anything over 30db would result in a crystal clear picture. With digital you can usually get down to a 16dB margin but I've found a 22dB to be much better and include any losses. I think the cable systems loose upto 20dB before they even arrive at your house - therefore if they had the same dynamic range you would be in the 15dB-20dB signal range from the Cable company - which I would guess is why you have so many dropouts. I had the same problem with Adelphia when I was with them - especially the channels higher in frequency. Of course you could see noise on all the analog channels with that type of signal - I got a better signal from my 13ft Radio Shack brand over-the-air antenna - in my attic - in analog (sad isn't it?)! I did use a signal amplifier when I had cable to even successfully distribute the signal to my upstairs TVs since the loss was too great. The cable modem HAD to be on a dedicated output port which further limited how many TV's I could feed. Cable is ok if you keep your TOTAL tv's to 2 and then one to the cable modem or 4 total tv's and no cable modem. (The cable modem needed to use the 4dB port of the 4dB/8dB/8dB 3-way splitter to work decently). I then fed from one of the 8dB ports to my upstairs (which had a further 8dB splitter) but placed a 10dB in-line signal amplifier. This messes up the cable modem capability to upstairs (which I didn't use) but allowed a distribution of signals with better picture. It also didn't help I was within the FCC class B contour of JoyFM broadcast which takes out analog channels 95-99 (adjacent RF frequencies) and was REALLY bad with Adelphia until they moved the channels. My old TV's w/o shielding could never get those channels because of the signal interference. Please note at some other people's houses with Cable they had MUCH better signal than I did - however being in the 'back' of my neighborhood.. my signal was bad!

One other thing you might consider if you have FiOS TV available is if you can get the local broadcast channels in analog (I think there is an option for that) then you would only need the digital boxes on those TV's. The reason I say this is that they have the main digital stations (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, WB, CW, WETA and MPT) all in the 800+ channel range in HD as well as the secondary channels in the local plus selection. This does allow you to receive on your REGULAR TV's all the channels you would get via an over-the-air antenna. I will probably aim my over-the-air antenna at Richmond if FiOS doesn't carry those channels since I no longer need it pointed at DC.

I watched both Video on demand and regular TV for about 3 hours last night (in addition to the 3 hours yesterday.) [I actually didn't watch it for that long.. but between putting my children to sleep it was on that long]. Anyhow, no dropouts, no fades and the digital signal on ALL channels is crystal clear. As a matter of fact, the guide is much faster than DIRECTV ever was. Given we had torrential rain yesterday and the boxes were installed during that time, my wife told me the picture was crystal clear even during the storms.
post #18 of 151 Old 11-17-2006, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the response. Very interesting. It seems like we had the same problem with Adelphia. My house is also in the back of the neighborhood, and all the TV signals fluttered in the 16-18 dB range. The easiest way I found to solve the problem was just to reset the box and let it reboot. Usually that helped. Of course, that also purged the guide data, and it seemed to take a while for the guide to redownload, so it was pretty annoying.

It sounds like FIOS is vastly superior to Adelphia. I also wasn't aware that the rent/lease fee on the boxes was only about half as much as Adelphia. I guess I'll be watching closely for the Richmond stations to go up on FIOS and then place an order.
post #19 of 151 Old 11-17-2006, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the great posts!!! With FiOS you're fiber right up to the ONT located at the back of your home. With Adelphia, I was at the back of my subdivision and frequently had problems with the picture of their HD channels, and also their broadband (Powerlink) dropping...at least every couple of months.

I'm surprised that you didn't notice a marked improvement with FiOS HD. Two of my friends have DirecTV HD and all noticed that my Dish Network is better for both the national channels and DC HD locals.
post #20 of 151 Old 11-22-2006, 08:15 AM

Quote:

I'm surprised that you didn't notice a marked improvement with FiOS HD. Two of my friends have DirecTV HD and all noticed that my Dish Network is better for both the national channels and DC HD locals.

My neighbor is switching from DishNet to FiOS and I switched from DirecTV to FiOS. I also have Over-The-Air HD antenna's as mentioned.

As to HD picture quality, most of the DirecTV stations which are HD (TNT, UHD, etc) are poorly upconverted signals to begin with (e.g. Knight Rider.. bleh) and look terrible anyhow.. so a comparison on that isn't worth it. As to Discovery HD Theater, I thought DirecTV didn't compress that much anyways and it was very hard to tell the difference. I have a 50" diagonal rear-projection triple LCD Sony TV (the thin type). It has Sony's Digital Reality Creation circuitry which upconverts everything not-HD to near-HD quality with 4x motion interpolation. It displays natively in 720p or 1080i (my choice).

The improvement with FiOS HD isn't really in the clarity of the picture but more in the lack of artifacts at any time. Even with perfect weather, DirecTV didn't send a signal that wouldn't get some minor interference. My Over-The-Air was better quality than DIRECTV and DISHNET were (I used a purely UHF antenna with a UHF gain and very high directivity and very low NF (2.5dB)). The FiOS rivals the OTA picture and beats it with no artifacts and also doesn't have the distinct 'lag'. For those unfamiliar with this, if you watch an OTA broadcast and one from DIRECTV or DISHNET, there is a good 2-3 second lag in the broadcast via satellite. FiOS doesn't have this lag (probably because they get a DIRECT FEED from the broadcast station and send it via Fiber on the ground.... light via fiber goes the same distance as RF energy through the air).. hence no lagging signals. Also, the artifacts are caused by interference the satellite uplink to DIRECTV and DISHNET. Additionally, I would receive periodic interference on both the OTA and Satellite from the Stafford Regional Airport traffic which caused multipath bounces and the distinct 'pixellation' of the signal and periodic sound glitches and resyncs.

None of those problems are there with FiOS and they WERE also present with Adelphia Cable (actually the cable had worse digital quality in dropouts than DIRECTV) - now I have had it almost a week and there has not been one time it has glitched, jumped, lost sync, etc. With Satellite and Cable it would be 2-3 times PER SHOW at night. Yes, that's still 95-99% clarity.. but FiOS is near 100%. Granted, I also am comparing this to the new MPEG4 hardware from DIRECTV which DID have a better picture clarity than the older receivers.. and the same can be said for DISHNETWORK which my neighbor had.

I have extensively tested the DVR and it can function as advertised - i.e. watch one show recorded simultaneously recording two live shows and not glitch on any part. A little bit of a 'slowdown' on the initial 'PLAY" of the recorded show but this is to be expected. I even set it to play a recorded show on another box while playing on the main box AND recording two live shows. This ALSO worked perfectly. The great thing about no glitches, is that the show recordings also contain no glitches - this was never the case with DIRECTV or DISHNET.
post #21 of 151 Old 11-23-2006, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Area OTA:

I don't have many macroblocking/drop problems with my DC HD locals (OTA), but WTVR-DT and WRIC-DT (OTA) out of Richmond are a different story. Unfortunately, muticasting and 1080i sports do not work very well together. I wish CBS would display static images on their subchannels during sporting events.

I can direct the HD locals to my TVs (build-in ATSC/QAM tuners), Sony HD DVR (ATSC/QAM), Dish HD receivers, and even an old VOOM STB. OTA is received and processed in realtime from the broadcasters, which is roughly one-quarter to one-half second behind their analog counterparts. The nice part about DishHD is that all area OTA channels (DC, Baltimore, Richmond, and Charlottesville) are integrated in the EPG. Same things goes for my Sony HD DVR with build-in TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS).

DishHD:

I have certainly noticed the affects of HD-Lite (downresolution) on more than half of the DishHD channels. To me, full bitrate HD provides fine detail that gives the images depth (3D effect) and immerced you in the event; it makes you part of the action. As I mentioned, I don't have any problems with macroblocking/drops, but I have been doing HD for going on 5 years and the loss of fine detail in the DishHD product is extremely upsetting. I have two 622 HD DVRs (MPEG-4/2) and one 811 HD receiver (MPEG2). They work almost flawlessly. As far as Dish Network MPEG4 HD locals...I rarely watch them, but they have certainly had their fair share of encoder problems. However, for the past three months the picture quality is much improved and the service is very stable:

- The native 720p channels (ABC, Fox) look almost as good as OTA.
- The native 1080i channels (CBS, NBC) look softer than OTA, but the engineers have done a good job in synching audio/video...the drops, skips, etc. are far fewer than the DirecTV HD locals.

I noticed it takes a fully 2 1/2 seconds longer to receive the MPEG4 DC HD locals than OTA. Additionally, I have a StarChoice (Canadian) satellite system and receive both Detroit and Seattle HD locals (MPEG2) more than 1 1/2 seconds sooner than I do from Dish Network. Again, the MPEG4 channels are going through significant manipulation and processing.

Adelphia (aka Comcast):

Lots of break-ups and some HD channels just plain disappear for several hours due to stresses on our local segment (I am at the rear of my subdivision). Adelphia is currently placing three HD channels per frequency. They were using a CherryPicker and QAM256 to modulation and multiplex (time division) a 6 Mhz frequency at 38.8 Mbps. This is typically enough to transmit two pristine HDTV channels at 19.4Mbs, however three HDTV channels per channel for something less than 13Mbs per HDTV channel. The PQ is surprisingly good (as good as DishHD used to be), but the problems are...well, problematic. Again, three HD channels seems to work pretty well until the systems has to display three high-motion HD streams. The CherryPicker folks can supposedly shape 4 HD channels per a single QAM256, but I certainly wouldn't wish to experience this viewing disaster.

The Cable pundits are working on QAM1024 modulation, which will make even better use of the available cable spectrum. Plus, there are a number of overlay technologies emerging that will make the physical plant pretty irrelevant - there's one company touting a package that will upgrade cable systems, relatively cheaply, to 3 Ghz.

FiOS:

Two things preventing me from getting FiOS:

First, it's not available in my area...I would place my order today if it were.

Second, the HD DVR is not in the same league as my Dish 622 HD DVR. I have played with multiple cable HD DVRs (SA8000HD, SA8300HD, and Motorola 62xx...they all needs lots of work. Another positive aspect is that I would be able to use my Sony HD DVR w/cablecard on the FiOS network.
post #22 of 151 Old 11-25-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:

Area OTA:

I don't have many macroblocking/drop problems with my DC HD locals (OTA), but WTVR-DT and WRIC-DT (OTA) out of Richmond are a different story. Unfortunately, muticasting and 1080i sports do not work very well together. I wish CBS would display static images on their subchannels during sporting events.

From my location near lees parke (I am up pretty high according to the elevation mapping from the FCC) I can actually receive at 98% signal strength (from my attic) all of the Richmond Locals (4/5/7/9 and UPN from Richmond as well as the two PBS stations). I must have a good line-of-site to Richmond - although I've been using my Radio Shack 13' antenna for this. Only problem in attic - I also pick up DC analog locals off a VHS bounce of my attic roof.

Quote:

DishHD:

I have certainly noticed the affects of HD-Lite (downresolution) on more than half of the DishHD channels. To me, full bitrate HD provides fine detail that gives the images depth (3D effect) and immerced you in the event; it makes you part of the action. As I mentioned, I don't have any problems with macroblocking/drops, but I have been doing HD for going on 5 years and the loss of fine detail in the DishHD product is extremely upsetting. I have two 622 HD DVRs (MPEG-4/2) and one 811 HD receiver (MPEG2). They work almost flawlessly. As far as Dish Network MPEG4 HD locals...I rarely watch them, but they have certainly had their fair share of encoder problems. However, for the past three months the picture quality is much improved and the service is very stable:

I can say that Verizon FiOS DOES NOT downsample any HD signals. I think you already knew that but I can confirm it. So for the Discovery Theater channel (one of the few NOT downsampled by Satellite) it is about the same. For the other channels, it is vastly superior. I took a look at some of those 'subpar' shows (e.g. Knight Rider) and noticed it is ALOT better on FiOS than it was on DirecTV. This is picture quality only.. I know alot of people like David Hasselhoff so any fans of him would like this show.

Quote:

FiOS:

Two things preventing me from getting FiOS:

First, it's not available in my area...I would place my order today if it were.

Second, the HD DVR is not in the same league as my Dish 622 HD DVR. I have played with multiple cable HD DVRs (SA8000HD, SA8300HD, and Motorola 62xx...they all needs lots of work. Another positive aspect is that I would be able to use my Sony HD DVR w/cablecard on the FiOS network.

Unfortunately, you are right about the HD DVR. It is great for the standard definition signals - but it is not as good for HD DVR. It's great in the picture department for HD DVR but it is terrible for the sound.
post #23 of 151 Old 11-26-2006, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A few quick questions:

1. TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS): is FiOS passing through TVGOS data to those devices using this service (TVs, DVRs, DVD recorders, etc.)? I have a Sony HD DVR (ATSC/QAM), but I pull data OTA from WCVE analog 23. Just wondering if anyone has tried this using FiOS TV?

2. CableCard: I'm sure CableCard is fully supported, but has anyone been able to use CableCard with TVGOS?

3. Broadcast HD Channels: are the network HD channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) are coming through unencrypted; in other words...can anyone receive them using the built-in ATSC/QAM tuner on their HDTV, DVR, etc.?

4. IEEE 1394 "Firewire": is anyone using Firewire ports on the FiOS DVR?

5. DTV Recorder: if yes to the above two items, had anyone tried to use the DTV Recorder product with their IEEE 1394 "Firewire" enabled HDTV or FiOS DVR and Media Center PC? http://www.vividlogic.com/products/d...nload_now.html
post #24 of 151 Old 11-26-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:

A few quick questions:

1. TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS): is FiOS passing through TVGOS data to those devices using this service (TVs, DVRs, DVD recorders, etc.)? I have a Sony HD DVR (ATSC/QAM), but I pull data OTA from WCVE analog 23. Just wondering if anyone has tried this using FiOS TV?

2. CableCard: I'm sure CableCard is fully supported, but has anyone been able to use CableCard with TVGOS?

3. Broadcast HD Channels: are the network HD channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) are coming through unencrypted; in other words...can anyone receive them using the built-in ATSC/QAM tuner on their HDTV, DVR, etc.?

4. IEEE 1394 "Firewire": is anyone using Firewire ports on the FiOS DVR?

5. DTV Recorder: if yes to the above two items, had anyone tried to use the DTV Recorder product with their IEEE 1394 "Firewire" enabled HDTV or FiOS DVR and Media Center PC? http://www.vividlogic.com/products/d...nload_now.html

I hooked up the FiOS directly to my QAM tuner (w/o a cablecard). Here are the results:

All Analog channels are broadcast in both Analog (chanels 1-49) and a digital format in SD as well UNENCRYPTED (Channels 66.xxx/67.xxx). The quality of the analog channels is nearly equal to that of the digital... it is acceptable to use the internal tuners in the TV and get a near perfect picture - something I NEVER got with Cable. Yes this only works for the normal 'off-air' analog channels brought through the Verizon FiOS TV on their listings of 1-49.

All broadcast SD are unencrypted and available including the additional weather now, etc.. channels. UNFORTUNATELY.. all broadcast HD are ENCRYPTED and require a cable card (or else I'd be able to see them on my Tuner). I picked up 500+ digital channels (which took me nearly an hour+ to scan through them). The Music Choice are also unencrypted (big deal).

NO TV GUIDE data is broadcast except on a few channels... my TV picks that up and on only ONE channel was it receiving any guide data. If you had a QAM tuner into a computer with the guide on it.. that would work otherwise you won't have a guide.

I don't have a good way to get my computer near the TV so I can't try the firewire. Maybe I will try my camcorder and I'll let you know if it works.
post #25 of 151 Old 11-28-2006, 08:49 AM

In case you didn't see it in the news, Verizon FiOS TV which is $39.95 / month for the Premier TV service is raising their rate for new subscribers to $42.99 / month. They are also increasing the movie packages by $1-$2 / month (not announced exactly how much yet).

Hopefully this will mean so new HD channels as well!
post #26 of 151 Old 12-06-2006, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

December 2006 - Deployment Schedule

Stafford County (Spotsylvania?)
Courthouse Road
Leavells Road
Queen Mill Circle
post #27 of 151 Old 12-10-2006, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Does the DVR currently support external storage? If so...USB?...eSATA?...Firewire?
post #28 of 151 Old 12-11-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Does the DVR currently support external storage? If so...USB?...eSATA?...Firewire?

unfortunately, no
post #29 of 151 Old 12-11-2006, 04:58 PM

I noticed a few glitches today and noticed a couple new channels have been added to my lineup. The only one which I use (with little kids) is PBS Kids Sprout (which is now channel 222) on FiOS TV - it was the ONLY channel we watched that DIRECTV had and FiOS TV didn't - not anymore. Also VERSUS and Comcast sports net (for PA area) were added. The deal was signed Dec 4th and Verizon got the channels up in ONE WEEK!

Also, I noticed the directory listing for Richmond, FiOS TV was up and they had the childrens channels up 10 channels (making way for new channels).. so I suspect there will be some channel swapping along with the new price increase.

All good news - hard to bash Verizon for a price increase when at the same time they are increasing the channel offering!

Also noticing in my neighborhood.. I think Comcast(formerly Adelphia) has a major problem. At least on my street, 50% (YES that is HALF of my street) is switching from Adelphia/Comcast to Verizon/FiOS and/or dropping their DIRECTV service. Also notice the news release that in virginia Verizon needs 110 new installer workers (that seems like an aweful lot) if only 10% are going to adopt this. I keep getting asked how I like it and most of my neighbors are complaining it's a 2-week plus wait because of a lack of installers.

As another note, now that I've had it for a month (and have put nearly 100 childrens shows on my DVR plus the hundreds on Demand - which change weekly - I would say I think the service is outstanding and Cable is going to have a run for it's money. I would pay MORE for FiOS because it is now a better product then Cable and Satellite!
post #30 of 151 Old 12-11-2006, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrane View Post

I noticed a few glitches today and noticed a couple new channels have been added to my lineup. The only one which I use (with little kids) is PBS Kids Sprout (which is now channel 222) on FiOS TV - it was the ONLY channel we watched that DIRECTV had and FiOS TV didn't - not anymore. Also VERSUS and Comcast sports net (for PA area) were added. The deal was signed Dec 4th and Verizon got the channels up in ONE WEEK!

Also, I noticed the directory listing for Richmond, FiOS TV was up and they had the childrens channels up 10 channels (making way for new channels).. so I suspect there will be some channel swapping along with the new price increase.

All good news - hard to bash Verizon for a price increase when at the same time they are increasing the channel offering!

Also noticing in my neighborhood.. I think Comcast(formerly Adelphia) has a major problem. At least on my street, 50% (YES that is HALF of my street) is switching from Adelphia/Comcast to Verizon/FiOS and/or dropping their DIRECTV service. Also notice the news release that in virginia Verizon needs 110 new installer workers (that seems like an aweful lot) if only 10% are going to adopt this. I keep getting asked how I like it and most of my neighbors are complaining it's a 2-week plus wait because of a lack of installers.

As another note, now that I've had it for a month (and have put nearly 100 childrens shows on my DVR plus the hundreds on Demand - which change weekly - I would say I think the service is outstanding and Cable is going to have a run for it's money. I would pay MORE for FiOS because it is now a better product then Cable and Satellite!

With the exception of the HD DVR needing work (I love my Dish 622) that's pretty much what I've been hearing from all my co-workers up in Fairfax. I'll agree that Adelphia/Comcast is going to have a difficult time keeping up with Verizon. However, I must have received at least a dozen "Ditch the Dish" and "Internet Customer Only" offers in the mail over the past month: Digital Cable, HBO, Showtime, and Starz for $29.95 per month for 12 months. Competition is good! It's just too bad that I would rather pay $60 more per month for Dish than with a similar cable package and hardware.

Anyway, I don't see FiOS coming to my neighborhood for another year or two.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page