Casper, WY - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Although I'm relativley new, as far as I can tell there are ZERO local stations broadcasting in HD. Sure we're not the most populous place in America, but with 50K + people in Casper alone and many many HDTV's I think we're a little behind. Has anyone heard rumors or facts about Local HD programming in Central Wyoming?

I hope I never do anything to bring shame to myself, my family......or my other family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-15-2006, 11:02 PM

All 4 Casper stations are managed by the same person. He has no desire to upgrade his equipment at his expense which means that our stations aren't even broadcast in Digital, let alone HD.

The best I can suggest is to call and complain to the affiliates regarding the fact that they do not have HD, yet PBS does!!!

Paul
post #3 of 22 Old 12-16-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Well thanks for the reply. I wish the news was better. Is it true that ALL stations have to be broadcasting in HD by 2009? That may be our only hope for entering the 21st century.....nine years into it.

I hope I never do anything to bring shame to myself, my family......or my other family.
post #4 of 22 Old 12-18-2006, 08:39 AM

All stations are supposed to be broadcasting in digital by 2009. That doesn't equal HD. A normal misconception by many. While the date is written down, the FCC doesn't have any power to actually enforce this mandate.

Not sure if you remember last years flap between Bresnan and the CBS/ABC networks when their existing contract expired and Wyomedia attempted to gouge Bresnan for higher rates. But if you do, part of Bresnan's agreement was to support Wyomedia into getting new Digital/HD equipment. So they do have incentive to get it up and running in the near future, as does Bresnan, since this would give them a big one up on DishStar. One can only hope that things improve.

Only thing I can suggest are periodic calls to the Casper networks regarding upgrading to HD. *sigh*

Paul
post #5 of 22 Old 12-18-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branhap View Post

All 4 Casper stations are managed by the same person. He has no desire to upgrade his equipment at his expense which means that our stations aren't even broadcast in Digital, let alone HD.

The best I can suggest is to call and complain to the affiliates regarding the fact that they do not have HD, yet PBS does!!!

Paul

Actually, the NBC station is not managed by the same guy that manages the rest of the stations. KCWY (NBC) and KGWC (CBS) are not broadcasting any digtal programming (SD or HD). The FCC did not give KCWY a second channel because its analog channel was granted after the other stations received channels. KGWC simply hasn't built anything even though they have a channel.

I wouldn't expect any HD programming anytime soon on KTWO, KFNB or KGWC. Maybe at some point down the road you may see NBC HD if you have Bresnan.
post #6 of 22 Old 12-27-2006, 08:24 AM

NBC - kcwy13 says they will begin broadcasting digitally and HD (expect a simultaneous launch) sometime in 2008.

As far as being behind... The Casper/Riverton DMA is ranked #198 out of something like roughly 220 markets. Of those DMA's ranked around us, very few have HD channels. *sigh*

Honestly, 50K people in a viewing area is extremely small.

Paul
post #7 of 22 Old 01-24-2007, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

So is there anyway to watch things on Network stations like football games or anything in HD? I hate having a great TV and only getting 9 lousy HD Cable channels.

post #8 of 22 Old 01-25-2007, 03:39 PM

If you switch to DSS (Directv or D*) you can apply for a waiver to get the HD broadcast. It's up to the station as to whether they will allow you to get it or not. That's really your only hope.

Trust me, I feel the same way.
post #9 of 22 Old 01-25-2007, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Added this thread to the Thread Index as the official thread for the Casper-Riverton DMA.

Neon:
Doesn't sound good for HDTV in the near future, but if things change, can you update the first post of the thread so it contains a summary of current HD offerings?
post #10 of 22 Old 02-13-2007, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Will do, thanks for the update

post #11 of 22 Old 04-01-2007, 12:40 PM

Bresnan added ESPN2 HD this past week.

Paul
post #12 of 22 Old 04-04-2007, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

hey hey....Movin' on Up! Now I can watch Division 2 girls basketball and curling in HD hooray!

post #13 of 22 Old 04-27-2007, 10:27 PM

Some more updates for Bresnan...

Rocky Mountain FSN now has a HD Channel on 728. Broadcasts begin April 30th.

National Geographic HD is now available on 796.

No announcements for these channels, they just showed up.

Channels for Riverton Zipcode.

PB
post #14 of 22 Old 05-23-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by branhap View Post

Some more updates for Bresnan...

Rocky Mountain FSN now has a HD Channel on 728. Broadcasts begin April 30th.

National Geographic HD is now available on 796.

No announcements for these channels, they just showed up.

Channels for Riverton Zipcode.

PB

I don't seem to be getting either of these stations. Are you sure? Satellite seems to be adding new HD stations every month. Bresnan is REALLY letting me down, but I don't have a home phone line and hence can't get satellite TV (or so I'm told).

post #15 of 22 Old 05-27-2007, 11:09 AM

Yep, I'm sure. I watch them all.

Basically it looks like here in Riverton at least, that they brought us up to date with their other areas as far as HD channels.

Current HD lineup:

704 - KCWCD (PBS)
718 - Discovery HD
727 - TNT HD
728 - RM FSN HD
729 - ESPN HD
730 - ESPN 2 HD
738 - A&E HD
764 - Altitude TV HD
779 - NFL HD
785 - Universal HD
788 - HD Net
789 - HD Net Movies
790 - HBO HD
791 - Starz HD
792 - Showtime HD
796 - National Geographic HD
797 - Versus/Golf HD
post #16 of 22 Old 04-27-2008, 12:27 PM

Here's the current Bresnan HD lineup in Casper:

705 Discovery HD Theater
709 FOX HD (KFNB)
710 PBS HD (KCWC)
712 TBS HD
718 Altitude Sports & Entertainment HD
725 Fox Sports Net Rocky Mountain HD
726 Arts & Entertainment HD
729 TNT-HD
731 ESPN HD
732 ESPN2 HD
739 USA HD
749 History Channel HD
752 Food Network HD
756 Home & Garden TV HD
770 Sci-Fi Channel HD
779 NFL Network HD
785 UNIVERSAL HD
786 Lifetime Movie Network HD
788 HDNet
789 HDNet Movies
790 HBO HDTV
791 Starz HD TV
792 Showtime HD
795 TMC-HD
796 National Geographic HD
797 Versus/Golf HD

A few months back I got an update saying 705 was changing from Discovery HD Theater to Discovery Channel HD, but it never changed. Bresnan's website now lists it as Discovery HD Theater again, not sure what's going on there.

According to the new "Digital Converter Box" ads that have been running for the last few weeks, NBC, ABC, and CBS are all now broadcasting HD signals. Though none are currently available on Bresnan, I've been told by a CSR that they expect to have them added soon. And as of last week I've been able to pick up the ABC HD station on my cable card (on 706 without any program guide info), but only the NBA playoff games seem to be broadcast in HD.
post #17 of 22 Old 04-28-2008, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Great News! I have to admit that the HD upgrades to the majuor networks happened sooner than I had originally anticipated.

post #18 of 22 Old 04-28-2008, 05:30 PM

[quote=branhap;9204162]All stations are supposed to be broadcasting in digital by 2009. That doesn't equal HD. A normal misconception by many. While the date is written down, the FCC doesn't have any power to actually enforce this mandate.

For digital television in any market large or small the only requirement is one SD channel. HD is not mandated but would be in the best interest of the various stations to attract viewers.

HD equipment is very expensive for stations to intergrate, but there are ways to do HD on the cheap in small markets. (ie: Consumer HD gear and HD recorders.)

That's my 2 cents.
post #19 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 01:03 PM

From those TV converter box commercials:

"KGWC's digital channel will be 14, KGWL's digital channel will be 7 and KGWR's will be 13. None of the stations will be providing multiple streams of video. KGWC is currently providing an HD signal on channel 15 in the Casper area. These stations will cease analog transmissions and begin full power digital HD transmissions at midnight on February 17, 2009."

That's the version that airs on CBS, the third sentence is replaced with the appropriate channel when it airs on NBC or ABC.

Anyway, all that to say that it sounds like all the stations do indeed have HD broadcasts, not just SD.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 AM

As of July 2nd 2008, we have the local Fox, ABC and PBS affliates broadcasting in HD on Bresnan. Has anyone heard when the CBS and NBC locals are jumping on board?

It seems strange that KGWC (CBS) broadcasts OTA in hd but not on cable.

Thanks
post #21 of 22 Old 12-15-2008, 08:17 AM

anyone in casper having issues picking up digital OTA????
post #22 of 22 Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBeater View Post

anyone in casper having issues picking up digital OTA????

I had some issues, but got them lined out in time for the AFC and NFC Championship football games on CBS-HD and FOX-HD.

At first, I bought an indoor antenna. Don't do it if you want consistent good reception. The indoor antenna gave me analog ch 2 good, ch13 with light snow, pbs and fox were rough, CW and CBS were off and on and digital matched (except 13 not broadcasting digital yet.) Ktwo sd and hd were the best with Fox sd and hd rarely viewable. I had 2 channels of PBS tuned in digital for about an hour once, but never again (wonder if they were just testing.)

I decided on an outdoor antenna. $80 later I had the Winegard MS1000. Fortunately, I have a place in my attic on the southwest corner of my 2 story house with an unobstructed line of sight to the whole mountain. Installed in 30 minutes and what a difference. Analog 13 (NBC)is as clear as analog can be. Analog PBS and TBN are ok. I have digital stations without a blip. KTWO (ABC) SD & HD, KGWC (CBS)HD, KFNB (FOX) SD & HD and CW SD.

The Chief Engineer at KCWY answered an email of mine and indicated that they plan on broadcasting off the mountain in HD by the end of January. (Hopefully in time for the Super Bowl)

Now I live near the 1700 block south in town. If you live closer to the mountain, it may be tougher to pull in the signals. A co-worker of mine is near the 4500 block south and has a different outdoor antenna in his attic (2 story house) and has trouble with reception. I may let him try my new antenna to see if it's any better. Yes, it's that easy to remove and put back in place.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page