Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 221 Old 10-10-2008, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post

Based on what I've read over at uverseusers.com, folks are getting between 25mbps-30mbps total. Of that, it seems around 6mb is for data/internet (at least, you can get internet access up to that speed).

Now I know they are using either MPEG4 or VC-1 (haven't found a definitive answer as to which) compression, but even so they are currently limited to 4 streams total, 1 of which can be HD.

Even if they use pair bonding to double their bandwidth, it's going to be a hard sell for anyone with more than one HDTV at this point.

U-Verse uses H.264 (MPEG-4/AVC) encoding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 221 Old 10-31-2008, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I noticed a bunch of new HD channels debuting soon. Too many to list.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #183 of 221 Old 11-04-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

I noticed a bunch of new HD channels debuting soon. Too many to list.

New channels have been activated!!!

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

post #184 of 221 Old 11-04-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
30 new HD channels were added today to U-Verse Chicago area subscribers. From
http://gadgetress.freedomblogging.co...-u-verse/4621/ :

@Max HD
· 5StarMax HD
· ActionMax HD
· Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD
· Comcast SportsNet New England HD
· Comcast SportsNet Southeast HD
· Encore HD
· Fox Business Network HD
· Fox News Channel HD
· FSN Detroit HD
· FSN Florida HD
· FSN Midwest (Kansas City) HD
· FSN Midwest (St. Louis) HD
· FSN Ohio (Cincinnati) HD
· FSN Ohio (Cleveland) HD
· FSN Prime Ticket HD
· FSN South HD
· FSN Southwest (Dallas) HD
· FSN Southwest (Houston) HD
· FX Network HD
· FX Network HD - West
· Hallmark Movie Channel HD
· HBO Latino HD
· HBO Signature HD
· HBO Zone HD
· HBO2 West HD
· Lifetime Television HD
· Lifetime Television HD - West
· MoreMax HD
· Outdoor Channel HD
· OuterMax HD
· Planet Green HD
· QVC HD
· Showtime 2 HD
· Showtime Extreme HD
· Showtime Showcase HD
· Speed HD
· SportsSouth HD
· SportsTime Ohio HD
· Starz Comedy HD
· Starz Edge HD
· Sun Sports HD
· The Travel Channel HD
· ThrillerMax HD
· TMC Xtra HD
· Weather Channel HD
· Wmax HD

Also, new ethnic-programming packages will be available on Nov. 10. The new channels and packges are:

Mandarin Package, featuring CCTV-4, CTI-Zhong Tian Channel, Phoenix InfoNews and Phoenix North American Chinese Channel, for $35 a month. CTI-Zhong Tian Channel can be ordered a la carte for $12 a month, and CCTV-4, Phoenix InfoNews and Phoenix North American Chinese Channel are available a la carte for $10 a month.
Polish Package, featuring TV Polonia and TVP Info, for $25 a month. TV Polonia can be ordered a la carte for $20 a month.
Russian Package, featuring RTR Planeta and Channel One Russia, for $25 a month. Each channel is available a la carte for $15 a month.
TV5MONDE, featuring programs from France, Belgium, Switzerland, Canada and Quebec, for $10 a month.
Setanta Sports, featuring exclusively live European and international soccer, rugby and other sports, for $15 a month.

Finally, this brings their HD offerings to 75 channels. Touche, Comcast.

Gilbert
post #185 of 221 Old 11-21-2008, 09:29 AM

Hello everyone,

I just bought a house in Bolingbrook IL and had my Comcast service transfered over. I didn't realize that uVerse was possible until after I moved in and had the Comcast service activated. The AT&T website says my address is good to go but that a tech needs to confirm. The site also says that CSNHD is available and so did the a post just before mine.. can anyone confirm? With the Blackhawks finally having all games on TV I'm not about to give up CSNHD.

For those of you that went from Comcast HD service to AT&T how would you compare the picture quality?

Thanks,

Kevin
post #186 of 221 Old 11-22-2008, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplified2000 View Post

Hello everyone,

I just bought a house in Bolingbrook IL and had my Comcast service transfered over. I didn't realize that uVerse was possible until after I moved in and had the Comcast service activated. The AT&T website says my address is good to go but that a tech needs to confirm. The site also says that CSNHD is available and so did the a post just before mine.. can anyone confirm? With the Blackhawks finally having all games on TV I'm not about to give up CSNHD.

For those of you that went from Comcast HD service to AT&T how would you compare the picture quality?

Thanks,

Kevin

I think its better than Comcast. Mpeg4 has finer compression so if it does break down, it's less noticable.

post #187 of 221 Old 11-27-2008, 11:53 AM

The only thing that is stopping me at this point is the number of HD feeds you can have going at one time on uVerse. One of the big draws for me is the 4 "tuner" dvr.. but you can only record 1 or 2 (I don't remember) at a time with uVerse and if there were 2 recording I couldn't watch a 3rd hd feed live.

That and the bundle price is about the same as Comcast.. I just really hate giving those people money after all the problems I've had in the past.
post #188 of 221 Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 AM

Hello,

I am a current comcast customer, and will soon take delivery of my first HDTV. I live in Evanston, and have received U-Verse promotional material indicating that the service is available now. However, I live in a condo, and am curious if the required installation work can be done, or if it already has been done, to the extent necessary in the common areas.

So, assuming I really can make the switch, I am interested in doing so for the more extensive channel line-up at a lower price. My online-searching thus far has revealed some complaints about the picture quality of HD programming from U-Verse, though there also seems to be some improvements reported over time. Is this the case you are finding in the Chicago-land area, that to the extent the service wasn't great at first, it has improved with various updates? Or is anyone still unsatisfied with the HD picture quality?

Lastly, do you have to utilize the wireless router from AT&T? I use a Mac, which did not work well with a previous Netgear wireless router, but is working very well with an Airport Extreme. I would prefer to keep my current wireless network as intact as possible.

Thanks for your help,
Phil
post #189 of 221 Old 12-23-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPhil View Post

Hello,

I am a current comcast customer, and will soon take delivery of my first HDTV. I live in Evanston, and have received U-Verse promotional material indicating that the service is available now. However, I live in a condo, and am curious if the required installation work can be done, or if it already has been done, to the extent necessary in the common areas.

Depends on how the building is wired. While you shouldnt have problems with the phone lines, your TV originates from the Gateway installed in your unit so depending on the location of that decides on an easy or hard installation.

Quote:

So, assuming I really can make the switch, I am interested in doing so for the more extensive channel line-up at a lower price. My online-searching thus far has revealed some complaints about the picture quality of HD programming from U-Verse, though there also seems to be some improvements reported over time. Is this the case you are finding in the Chicago-land area, that to the extent the service wasn't great at first, it has improved with various updates? Or is anyone still unsatisfied with the HD picture quality?

I am pretty happy with my service. Sure there are hiccups here and there, but you'll get that with any provider. AT&T uses MPEG-4 compression which is a better compression technology so if the picture does run out of bandwidth its less noticable. Keep in mind that digital technology is a "Work in Progress" thing right now. It's is constantly updated/upgraded.

Quote:

Lastly, do you have to utilize the wireless router from AT&T? I use a Mac, which did not work well with a previous Netgear wireless router, but is working very well with an Airport Extreme. I would prefer to keep my current wireless network as intact as possible.

The Residental Gateway does have built in wireless but you can utilize your own wireless router if you like. I both operating in my house. One is for my use and is REALLY secure, the wireless built into the gateway is for my guests. Signal strength between the 2 are pretty even.

post #190 of 221 Old 12-24-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:

I am pretty happy with my service. Sure there are hiccups here and there, but you'll get that with any provider. AT&T uses MPEG-4 compression which is a better compression technology so if the picture does run out of bandwidth its less noticable. Keep in mind that digital technology is a "Work in Progress" thing right now. It's is constantly updated/upgraded.

Did you have Comcast previously? If so, how would you compare the DVR functionality? Is there anything that the U-Verse box cannot do that Comcast could, or that you wished it could?

I thought I read somewhere that U-Verse wouldn't allow pausing live TV, though that can't be right. Perhaps it was in reference to a non-dvr box in other rooms, where you only have "view" access to live TV, and full access to recorded programs on the central DVR box?

Quote:

The Residental Gateway does have built in wireless but you can utilize your own wireless router if you like. I both operating in my house. One is for my use and is REALLY secure, the wireless built into the gateway is for my guests. Signal strength between the 2 are pretty even.

What is the difference sharing one wireless network/router vs splitting into two if it's ultimately the same internet connection? Or do you have two separate internet providers?

So the residential gateway can be connected to my existing wireless router w/ ethernet cable (so it acts as a standard cable / dsl modem) w/ wireless feature disabled if I want, correct?

Thanks again,
Phil
post #191 of 221 Old 12-27-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you have Comcast previously? If so, how would you compare the DVR functionality? Is there anything that the U-Verse box cannot do that Comcast could, or that you wished it could?

I thought I read somewhere that U-Verse wouldn't allow pausing live TV, though that can't be right. Perhaps it was in reference to a non-dvr box in other rooms, where you only have "view" access to live TV, and full access to recorded programs on the central DVR box?

I had Comcast a while back and no DVR. My buddy has the DVR now and its pretty typical DVR. The AT&T DVR is pretty cool since it can record up to 4 SD or 2HD and 2SD at the same time. One drawback though is you only have 4 streams to your house so if your recording 4 things at once, thats what your stuck watching. DVR has typical functionality and the whole house DVR is nice since you can watch any of your recordings from any box in the house. Drawback here is you cannot pause live TV in the other rooms nor can you schedule recordings from the other rooms. Could be alieviated by a simple software upgrade when they feel like it.

Quote:

What is the difference sharing one wireless network/router vs splitting into two if it's ultimately the same internet connection? Or do you have two separate internet providers?

1 ISP and I'm just a dork. I like to keep my options open.

Quote:

So the residential gateway can be connected to my existing wireless router w/ ethernet cable (so it acts as a standard cable / dsl modem) w/ wireless feature disabled if I want, correct?

Actually your existing wireless can be connected to the gateway. Gateway is basically a DSL modem on steriods. The GUI (graphical user interface) is pretty straight forward and yes you can disable the gateway's wireless if you like.

post #192 of 221 Old 12-31-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:

I had Comcast a while back and no DVR. My buddy has the DVR now and its pretty typical DVR. The AT&T DVR is pretty cool since it can record up to 4 SD or 2HD and 2SD at the same time. One drawback though is you only have 4 streams to your house so if your recording 4 things at once, thats what your stuck watching. DVR has typical functionality and the whole house DVR is nice since you can watch any of your recordings from any box in the house. Drawback here is you cannot pause live TV in the other rooms nor can you schedule recordings from the other rooms. Could be alieviated by a simple software upgrade when they feel like it.

1 ISP and I'm just a dork. I like to keep my options open.

Actually your existing wireless can be connected to the gateway. Gateway is basically a DSL modem on steriods. The GUI (graphical user interface) is pretty straight forward and yes you can disable the gateway's wireless if you like.

I just ordered Uverse yesterday and wondered about the wireless gateway. We already have wireless in the house and it works fine. Nice to hear that the gateway's wireless can be disabled.

Another quick question: I *think* up to 4 rooms can be wired for Uverse during installation. Can anyone here confirm? This was not clear (or I simply missed it) in the Uverse literature I received.
post #193 of 221 Old 12-31-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jdk View Post

I just ordered Uverse yesterday and wondered about the wireless gateway. We already have wireless in the house and it works fine. Nice to hear that the gateway's wireless can be disabled.

Another quick question: I *think* up to 4 rooms can be wired for Uverse during installation. Can anyone here confirm? This was not clear (or I simply missed it) in the Uverse literature I received.

Answering my own question --- I called AT&T and they assured me that up to 4 rooms are included with the installation package.
post #194 of 221 Old 01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jdk View Post

Answering my own question --- I called AT&T and they assured me that up to 4 rooms are included with the installation package.

Good cause I didn't have an answer to that one. I wired my own house before they showed up. Made the tech's day!!!

post #195 of 221 Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Have they fixed the bandwidth constraint with their video yet? When I had U-Verse, HD looked horrible and the most that a household could get is between 25-30GB bandwith total between TV & Internet. With them advertising 18GB internet it seems like they increased their bandwidth but don't know if their video service has improved. Thinking about switching back since they have CSNHD now and my D* service keeps going out every 5 minutes. I still have U-Verse internet so I would just need the boxes and have an ethernet cable run from the gateway to the box in the bedroom.
post #196 of 221 Old 03-29-2009, 08:19 AM

just scored a combo of elite internet and hd tv service u100 for $70 combined for 6 months. i told the rep me and my girlfriend were considering direct tv and she gave me a discount no questions asked. so in all the charges are-

elite internet $35
digital tv $30
hd service $5

not a bad deal, only wish it was 1 year locked in.
post #197 of 221 Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 AM

Anyone know if and when U-verse will be available in Chicago?
post #198 of 221 Old 07-28-2009, 07:17 AM

Its already offered in a bunch of the burbs....not sure about Chicago.

http://www.att.com/u-verse/availabil...uestid=2120484
post #199 of 221 Old 09-07-2009, 12:54 PM

Just confirming some of the features- I understand about the 4 streams at a time, 2 of which can be HD, etc. Here's my question-

Can I be recording the maximum amount of streams, while watching a pre-recorded program?

Example- on Comcast, which I have now, I can be recording two things and watch a 3rd program previously recorded. Does UVerse allow me to do this?
post #200 of 221 Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 View Post

Just confirming some of the features- I understand about the 4 streams at a time, 2 of which can be HD, etc. Here's my question-

Can I be recording the maximum amount of streams, while watching a pre-recorded program?

Example- on Comcast, which I have now, I can be recording two things and watch a 3rd program previously recorded. Does UVerse allow me to do this?

I believe yes. I think I did that a few weeks ago.

post #201 of 221 Old 10-18-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody know when U Verse is coming to New Lenox IL 60451...I want to drop Comcast asap.

Joe V.
post #202 of 221 Old 01-20-2010, 10:51 AM

Tuesday night a pair of their reps were wandering around my neighborhood in north Plainfield. Since I have no love lost for Comcast and they were offering a pretty good deal I signed up. They called back on Wednesday saying the service wasn't available at my location. This doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about them for the future.........
post #203 of 221 Old 02-17-2010, 02:56 PM

Ha. I'll top that.

Last night I noticed an ATT truck a few houses up. I stopped to ask if he knew if Uverse was available and he said "soon" as long as I do not live past the house he was parked in front of. Of course I am 4 houses away at the end of the street and he "thinks" I should be okay with 1 HDTV but definitely not 4 as I am >3,000ft from the planned cabinet.

DTV here we come.
post #204 of 221 Old 03-09-2010, 02:36 PM

hi,
i dont have u-verse but i was wondering if someone could help me out? im curious to know what public, educational and government channels are available through at&t in Chicago? Im not able to find out anywhere. I believe if you go to channel 99 and go through the prompts, it will eventually list the channels available. any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
post #205 of 221 Old 05-10-2010, 12:01 PM

Does anyone know what the maximum cable length run is for a CAT-5 Cable for AT&T U-Verse Cable TV?

I'm in a 20 year old condo building with only the old 4 conductor (not twisted pairs) wiring for my phone service. I had AT&T come out to be sure I could get 'just' their cable service for TV and HDTV. I'm keeping my old hard wired phone line due to power outages not being uncommon here. So I'd only have one pair of 22 or 24 gauge wires for them to use. AT&T said it couldn't be done with only one pair of wires.

Before I go through all the trouble of running my own CAT-5 cable I just want to be sure of the maximum distance for the cable run. I'm guessing a minimum of 125 feet maybe more.

Nutt
post #206 of 221 Old 05-17-2010, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'll be switching to Uverse from Comcast next Tuesday......it'll be interesting to see how the pq will compare to Comcast.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #207 of 221 Old 05-25-2010, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I got my Uverse today.......so far so good.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #208 of 221 Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 AM

Anyone knows about when ATT UVerse service will be available in
Aurora - Foxvally Mall area - West of Rt-59 and Stonebridge area?
post #209 of 221 Old 03-26-2012, 03:25 PM

Wow, this thread is pretty dead. I'm going to bump it and say that I got Uverse installed last week, and so far I'm pretty impressed.

The HD quality seems sharper than Comcast, and the channel arrangement makes a lot more sense. HD channels are just the SD channel number with 1000 added. CBS 2 is 1002, for example, NBC 5 is 1005. That way you don't have problems all the way into three-digit channels. HBO SD is 802 and HD is 1802. Also, the channel selection itself is superior. There are far more HD channels available than with Comcast, even though Comcast says they have "more HD choices". It turns out that when they count how many "choices" they offer, they're counting On Demand or something. I don't even remember what she said on the phone, I was so disgusted by the answer. But it was not "channels" - it was definitely "choices" and they have a screwy way of counting.

I know that when Uverse first hit our area a few years ago, our neighbors got it and I wasn't impressed at all. The HD seemed "soft" or even blurry. It's hard to describe. They've definitely made some changes since then.

I haven't gotten behind the entertainment center to move my optical audio from the Comcast box to the AT&T box, so I can't comment on the audio quality yet. Gonna do that soon. This past weekend was pretty busy. I just have a Sony STR-720 for audio, but it's adequate for our small living room, so we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, I know this is an old thread, but if more people are switching, maybe we'll have things to talk about. I'm in Northbrook.
post #210 of 221 Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 AM

Hope it works out for you and keep us posted of your pros and cons of U-Verse. Been on the fence myself for quite some time and I still have Comcast. Did you switch internet or just video to AT&T?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page