Philadelphia, PA - Verizon - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2278 Old 11-18-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Kuranda - There are a LOT of threads on the 1080p topic over in the display forum. I picked one at random that discusses going to 120 Hz or not (that's the latest technology). Your 10+ year question is answered in there. But, you should read it for what applies to you. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=938341. This just happens to be in the LCD forum. Note: Look near the top of each thread and you'll see what forum it's in. Then, go up a level and take a look at the rest of the forum (plasmas are in a different sub-forum).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2278 Old 11-18-2007, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

OMG, today's Eagles game had WYSP's sound almost in sync with the action! Was this WYSP's doing, or another factor - like being a home game?
post #633 of 2278 Old 11-18-2007, 05:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazcdc54 View Post

Never heard of IPTV. Sounds like some sort of approach towards linking the transmission of TV shows/data further with one's computer and internet connection. That worries me. In such an istance TiVo owners may be out of luck.

Do a search on AT&T U-verse. AT&T has gotten into delivering TV to the home. They use IPTV as their platform for competition to cable providers. Check out - http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=5838 for more information.
post #634 of 2278 Old 11-19-2007, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

I wasn't saying ANYTHING against DTV...I was questioning the point of a NickHD on ANY provider. I consider it a hollow victory, at best, to trumpet having an HD channel that doesn't actually have any HD content. I don't care if it's Verizon, Comcast or DTV that does it. That's a strike against Nickelodeon, not DTV. I realize a lot of channels can't suddenly create HD content out of thin air...but I'd prefer they wait until they have something more than 480p to offer before claiming they've made the jump to HD.

adding an HD chans a hollow victory? you can't knock the provider for adding HD chans because teh chan deosnt' broadcast a lot of hd or that you simply just dont like the chan.

your knocking a particular chan as hollow when the point is they already h ave all the other more popular hd chans, now they are adding all the less demanded ones.

i'm not going to tell them not to or no i dotn want cus its not as good as other hd chans. Again, they already hae all those so adding new hd chans whatever they are is no a hollow victory. They already had more hd chans then the competition, now they are just adding more because they can. They have the bandwidth.

I surf through strictly the hd chans, with comast and fios that is a small # of chans with sometimes nothing on in hd on those.

With DTV if you surf through strictly the hd chans, there is a ton. period.
post #635 of 2278 Old 11-23-2007, 04:25 AM

verizon.net/nflnetwork = request for experiences

I got a mailing indicating that the COLTS/FALCONS game was covered with interaction available to select from 5 different camera angles while watching. I was not home to try it out last night. Anyone try this out?

The mailing says the next game coverage will be the Packers/Cowboys (Farve/Romo duel) on 29 Nov. This has my interest.

Thanks, in advance, for sharing your experience.

Kuranda
post #636 of 2278 Old 11-23-2007, 04:46 AM

Just opened more mail from Verizon regarding a data service.

Verizon FiOS 20/20 with 1GB for offsite backup

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...s-service.html

Anyone try this service?

Please point me to the proper location to discuss VzFios internet for our area. Since I have 4 services from Vz (wireless, land, internet, and TV) and my question is local, I am looking for a new forum as all the services in HDTV merge and interact.

Kuranda
post #637 of 2278 Old 11-24-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Broadbandreports might not have a dedicated thread for our area, but they are up to speed on all this stuff. Consider that it might be OT for the purposes of home theater. The 20/20 service is being constantly discussed in this forum: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber You'll find lots of posts from people in the Philly area. You'll also find a number of AVS'ers over there as well.

The FiOS TV forum is here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiostv (includes a few threads specific to Philly area problems).
post #638 of 2278 Old 11-24-2007, 09:47 AM

GeekGirl ... thanks!

Kuranda
post #639 of 2278 Old 11-24-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt View Post

TMC Hd is on Channel 854

854 is bluesville, so what are you talking about?
Thnx
post #640 of 2278 Old 11-25-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrico View Post

854 is bluesville, so what are you talking about?
Thnx

854 on my "GUIDE" says = TMC HD (Southern NJ)

What geography is covered by one single GUIDE in our viewing area?

I am thinking in SoNJ I am in Philly-guide, I think some have called it VHO-8 or something like that.

Kuranda
post #641 of 2278 Old 11-25-2007, 11:07 AM

/snip/

GeekGirl I'm not up-to-date on the ATSC specs in fact it's been 5 to 7 years since I was reading up on them, so please excuse me for asking(not debating) but I do not recall 1080p ever mentioned or intended for OTA broadcasts, but since you were working in designs maybe you can clear me up on that? am I wrong ? here in Los Angeles ABC and PBS-KCET are the only ones doing 720p OTA most others are in 1080i

Do you think anyone would do 1080p considering the full bandwidth required basically eating up the whole channel?

humn I have not been in this forum posting for over 5 years and I look like a new user to the software I had to cut your URL in the quote above as I'm not allowed LOL actually tried 3 times and finally it let me after cutting your whole quote

GeekGirl nevermind I mis-understood you (not had my 3rd cup of expresso yet ) BTW my name on dslreports is different have had too many trollers and problems there so made it a acronym of my name but we comunicate there from time to time too.

HLT6187Sax & HLT5087 & RCA Scenium
post #642 of 2278 Old 11-25-2007, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

does phila. areas fios data have the 20/5 or 15/15 yet?

im still stuck on 15/2 and mostly need a faster up but wouldn't mind faster down.

everytime I checked the only choice up from 15/2 was 30 I believe over 5 but it was more then double the price & more for busineses. not worth it.

they better have the fee 20/5 upgrade and/or the 15/15 in the phila areas now at this point considering everywhere was supposed to have since nov. 19 supposedly.
post #643 of 2278 Old 11-26-2007, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quatre-
15/15 is now available in our area since last Monday (11/26) - give them a call, you'll have it in 20 minutes or so.
post #644 of 2278 Old 11-26-2007, 09:42 AM

I just purchased an Element 19 inch HD TV from Circuit City. All the standard over the air local channels come in fine, but I cannot get the digital HD channels. How do I go about getting them? Thanks in advance.
post #645 of 2278 Old 11-26-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

adding an HD chans a hollow victory? you can't knock the provider for adding HD chans because teh chan deosnt' broadcast a lot of hd or that you simply just dont like the chan.

your knocking a particular chan as hollow when the point is they already h ave all the other more popular hd chans, now they are adding all the less demanded ones.

I consider it hollow victory to add a channel in HD that has NO HD content when there are plenty of channels that DO have HD content that have NOT been added. Nick having an HD channel with (afaik) no HD programming is an intellectual exercise. It's like bragging about delivering a color picture when you only have black and white images to broadcast. Getting such a channel prior to Bravo HD, SciFi Channel HD, Speed HD, The Weather Channel HD, fx HD or any of a number of other channels that have established HD content is what I'm talking about.

This is hardly a problem unique to Verizon. Direct TV's claims of 800 HD channels, for example, certainly is underwhelming. If it's not really HD, it just seems like a placeholder for something that may not arrive for quite a while.
post #646 of 2278 Old 11-26-2007, 12:45 PM

Well, I just ordered 20/20 and the service rep says I will have it by 6 PM tonight and an email will be sent telling me how to access my 1 GB of offsite VZ-backup storage that is included.

BTW: Separate discussion item regarding Home Media Center. It has a severe HDTV limitation that I did not know about since I have an SD household at the moment.

CAUTION: According the rep: "At this time, only SD recordings may be viewed at secondary STB's using the Home Media Center."

HD recordings may ONLY be viewed using the STB-DVR unit that recorded them. No remote HD support yet from Verizon. I was very surprised that even upgrading remote STB's to HD will not permit to play DVR'd HD content.

I am sure this will get fixed in time. In fact, maybe someone here will tell us that this rep did not know what he was talking about. He sounded believable and said that he has recieved the question from other Home Media customers.
post #647 of 2278 Old 11-26-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoledo View Post

/snip/
GeekGirl I'm not up-to-date on the ATSC specs in fact it's been 5 to 7 years since I was reading up on them, so please excuse me for asking(not debating) but I do not recall 1080p ever mentioned or intended for OTA broadcasts, but since you were working in designs maybe you can clear me up on that? am I wrong ? here in Los Angeles ABC and PBS-KCET are the only ones doing 720p OTA most others are in 1080i
Do you think anyone would do 1080p considering the full bandwidth required basically eating up the whole channel?
humn I have not been in this forum posting for over 5 years and I look like a new user to the software I had to cut your URL in the quote above as I'm not allowed LOL actually tried 3 times and finally it let me after cutting your whole quote
GeekGirl nevermind I mis-understood you (not had my 3rd cup of expresso yet ) BTW my name on dslreports is different have had too many trollers and problems there so made it a acronym of my name but we comunicate there from time to time too.

You are correct, there's no way that 1080p can fit within the ATSC bandwidth, so no 1080p for OTA. It's also limited by the broadcast side. I found a really good web site that explains it better than I can: http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages_b/reality.html

BTW, there's a LOT of tutorial info there: http://www.hdtvexpert.com/

My screen name on dslreports was purposely kept as close as possible. I have a different tactic - I just point to other forums to mix it up a bit. There's nothing like a little competition to keep things interesting.
post #648 of 2278 Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuranda View Post

CAUTION: According the rep: "At this time, only SD recordings may be viewed at secondary STB's using the Home Media Center."

HD recordings may ONLY be viewed using the STB-DVR unit that recorded them. No remote HD support yet from Verizon. I was very surprised that even upgrading remote STB's to HD will not permit to play DVR'd HD content.

I am sure this will get fixed in time. In fact, maybe someone here will tell us that this rep did not know what he was talking about. He sounded believable and said that he has recieved the question from other Home Media customers.

He's not feeding you a line of bull. Programing can only be sent to the QIP 2500's and only to two STB's simultaneously.

There has been talk of adding the HD boxes into the HMDVR mix.

-Jim

Got FiOS?
post #649 of 2278 Old 11-27-2007, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I consider it hollow victory to add a channel in HD that has NO HD content when there are plenty of channels that DO have HD content that have NOT been added. Nick having an HD channel with (afaik) no HD programming is an intellectual exercise. It's like bragging about delivering a color picture when you only have black and white images to broadcast. Getting such a channel prior to Bravo HD, SciFi Channel HD, Speed HD, The Weather Channel HD, fx HD or any of a number of other channels that have established HD content is what I'm talking about.

This is hardly a problem unique to Verizon. Direct TV's claims of 800 HD channels, for example, certainly is underwhelming. If it's not really HD, it just seems like a placeholder for something that may not arrive for quite a while.

this is an old discussion at this point but all those channels you mentioned are already on DTV in HD. that was the point, you were bashing them for getting an hd channel that doesnt' have much hd content and the point was, that they already have all the god HD channels with lots of HD content so its not hollow victory for them to add other hd channels which maybe dont have as much content.

your talking about Verizon that doestn' have scifi HD etc. DTV does so its not a hollow victory for them to add other hd chans which aren't as good. they already have all the best hd chans first as priority. Now they are just adding insult to injury.

But then when its mentioned that dtv just got this hd chan and that one, defenders of other tv providers say "well that isnt' that good of a chan anyway so its a hollow victory" ignoring the fact or not realzing that dtv does already have all the hd chans that said person does want, these are just new bonus additions.

everyone wants more hd, saying you dont care about certain bonus hd chans cus they aren't that great is like saying you only want $100 bills but wont accept any free $10 or $5 bills in addition as bonus after you've already received the $100 HD chans.

i could see if fios had all the good HD chans and were just late and delayed on the less important less good HD chans but fact is they dont and have less HD then any other tv provider in the Phila area, as Comcast currently has more hd chans then fios.
post #650 of 2278 Old 11-29-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone found any information on when the "new" Guide will be available to us? This is the only thing that I find to be ridiculous within the system, and look forward to one that is workable, and more intuitive. Searching right now is worthless!
post #651 of 2278 Old 11-29-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

this is an old discussion at this point but all those channels you mentioned are already on DTV in HD. that was the point, you were bashing them for getting an hd channel that doesnt' have much hd content and the point was, that they already have all the god HD channels with lots of HD content so its not hollow victory for them to add other hd channels which maybe dont have as much content.

I'm not sure you actually read what I wrote, there.
post #652 of 2278 Old 12-07-2007, 07:55 AM

Last post for Philadelphia - Verizon was 11/29. I hope that indicates that this service is pretty decent and reliable.

I previously had Comcast for many years and completed a triple play bundle deal for the FIOS TV. Install was this past Tuesday (my birthday - natch). I have 4 sets in the house with two getting little digital adaptor boxes, one the standard Verizon stb and for my home theater two Cable Cards for a TiVo HD box. The Verizon hardware went fast and fine on setup, the Cable Cards was another matter.

It took the tech installer, a very nice guy, working with a dispatcher/tech guru at a Verizon Control Office over three hours to get them activated. I'm the first person in my township to go the cable card route, which is news to me. I was told by the dispatcher they have had significant problems with each Cable Card install in the past.

I live in Coatesville in Chester County in the suburbs of Philly and he cited prior installs in West Chester. From experience it is software systems issues most of the time but he has always been successfull in the end. He was about out of solutions when a last idea of his finally paid off. I was having problems getting one of the tuner/cards to display the HD channels. However, we got 'em all at last!

I must say there is over all a real improvement in comparison with Comcast's signal and the HD material is super. However, the paltry 30 odd channels in HiDef must be upped in the year or so to come in my view.

So far so good. Three days and counting...

A couple of questions if I might here:

1. I have my TiVo set with "panel" for Aspect Correction, which gives me the original broadcast ratio and also "Native" for Video Format, bringing in the signal at the originating broadcast resolution (1080i, 720p, etc.) . Can anyone tell me why the channel change and lock-on takes so long with the digital HD channels and also briefly displays (a second or two) visual pyrotechnics (lines, distorted images, etc.) during this "delay" before putting out a solid picture?

I'm presuming that the cards/Tivo are having to adjust the picture for my monitor (a 16:9 Sony KDL 32XBR4) before before displaying it.

2. Also, why is it that certain HD channels will display an image during a broadcast show in 16:9 and then switch to 4:3 during the commercials? There are other instances even within a show where certain segments of the show will go to 4:3 and then later back to 16:9. All the while incidentally the resolution on the TiVo or my Sony will stay the same (ex. 1080i).

I don't want to go to Zoom or Full (stretch) but wish to know why the networks do this. It's really disconcerting. It seems inconsistent. I guess I should be prepared for the fact that not everything on a "HD Channel" is broadcast in HD.

These are minor caveats but some clarification would be appreciated. Now, where will I find time to watch all these new channels?
post #653 of 2278 Old 12-07-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was told by the dispatcher they have had significant problems with each Cable Card install in the past.

I live over in Malvern and had FIOS set up two TiVo HDs with two cable-cards each. Both installs went effortlessly and it was the installer's first time doing a CC install for FIOS. He specifically cited that, as a former Comcast installer, FIOS had far fewer problems with them. The only hiccup was that he didn't find out until several minutes in that an ID number the provisioning software wanted was a duplicate of another number he did have...which the provisioning tech at Verizon explained to him.

Quote:

anyone tell me why the channel change and lock-on takes so long with the digital HD channels and also briefly displays (a second or two) visual pyrotechnics (lines, distorted images, etc.) during this "delay" before putting out a solid picture?

What version of the Tivo software does your box have? It sounds like it may not have updated, yet. You shouldn't really see more than a very brief delay when changing the channel, HD or otherwise. I'm watching on a Pioneer Elite 43" 16:9 plasma.

Quote:

2.I guess I should be prepared for the fact that not everything on a "HD Channel" is broadcast in HD.

Regretfully, this can be the case for some channels. I used to see this on Comcast with ABC, CBS and NBC. It was particularly irritating when ABC's local affiliate would change the feed for 'Lost' from HD to SD in the last two minutes of the show, because they were switching to the then-SD local news broadcast. It was very jarring and irritating.
post #654 of 2278 Old 12-07-2007, 11:07 AM

WizarDru, the HD box was a recent purchase. I've had a Series 2 for years and was able to transfer over my Lifetime Service to the new box, on which I initially ran Guided Set-up on Sunday, 12/2 a few days prior to the install. As a matter of fact it stated I had gotten the new Fall Service Update for the HD box. My connection is via broadband/wireless adapter.

The delay can be up to 4 or 5 seconds. I don't notice the delay on the analog and other non-hd digital channels. The installer left me his cell # in case of any further issues primarily because of the difficulties we encountered with the Cable Cards. Do you think it worth a call? Maybe, further "tweaking" can be done here by Verizon. I'm at work now (quiet, don't let my manager know! ) but will check my software version when I get home.

You're lucky your install went so well. You bucked the trend from what they were telling me.

The switches in aspect ratio/resolution were on a few network affliates (CBS or ABC I think). My previous service with Comcast was analog and having bought the Sony LCD this summer it has been taking a little getting used to dealing with digital channels.

Perhaps in the future when we've all updated to HD and most or if not all channels are broadcast as such this issue will go away. Just have to be patient I guess. Darn!
post #655 of 2278 Old 12-08-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:

I live over in Malvern and had FIOS set up two TiVo HDs with two cable-cards each. ...

I don't know anything about about TiVo except that some people use it as a verb, meaning "to record".

Are there advantages to TiVo (HD or not) over the Vz Home Media DVR?

Since you have two (2) units, this has made me VERY curious about why two (2) and why TiVo. Since this is off topic, perhaps you could be so kind as to point me to right place for comparison. Makes me think I should look into TiVo to see what I might be missing.

Thanks. Kuranda

Closer to the topic .... Having had Comcast (previously Garden State Cable) for about 20 years, I have been very pleased with the higher PQ and higher reliability of FiOS TV services. We have had so few glitches in service, it is not worth mentioning ... it has been a very positive experience.
post #656 of 2278 Old 12-08-2007, 03:09 PM

I've had to time to work with the new TiVo since my last post and looked at some forum posts over at Tivo.com. It appears the Verizon cable cards are not at issue here but the Tivo box.

There is a setting for "Video Format" that adjusts the signal resolution of the incoming signal (480i, 720p, 1080i, etc.) that you can select. By choosing "Native" the Tivo sends the signal thru unscaled to allow your TV to deal with it. Unfortunately, this is what I had set previously and is giving me these problems.

There are "Hybrid" and "Fixed" modes that to varying degrees allow the Tivo box to handle the up/downscaling. I found the right selection. This cuts down a little on delay time and eliminates the video "flicker." The scaling quality is on par with my Sony TV thankfully. Problem solved.

To answer your other question there are probably a few advantages to the Tivo over the Verizon stb. On the other hand, I like the Verizon "widgets" feature that I use on my other set. Tivo has a comparable feature but takes longer to access. I haven't had sufficient time to check out the STB on the other set so I'm sorry I can't give you a proper comparison.

I will say I appreciate the Verizon FIOS quality over the Comcast and feel I made the right choice.
post #657 of 2278 Old 12-09-2007, 04:15 AM

Quote:

... To answer your other question there are probably a few advantages to the Tivo over the Verizon stb. On the other hand, I like the Verizon "widgets" feature that I use on my other set. Tivo has a comparable feature but takes longer to access. ...

Thanks for your comments.

Since I am content with VzDVR_home_media service, I should leave well enough alone until there is compelling reason to think about TiVo. Every new box is a project, a learning curve, and a new expense. And then there is the support challenge when a problem arises.

Good luck with resolving your TiVo challenges. I have heard a lot of positive talk about TiVo (so much that it is verb) so I am sure someone will help you get the answers.

Kuranda
post #658 of 2278 Old 12-11-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Lots of pixellation and audio dropouts tonight on WHYY-HD (821) when I watched from 6:30 to 7 PM. Didn't notice anything on WPVI-HD when I switched over for a minute or so. Tracking on dslreports: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r191...-TBS~start=180

Continuing to monitor on Versus-SD (75). No Versus-HD on Verizon . FWIW, Comcast's widescreen format is much better than Versus-SD. On par with Comcast-SD, however. Flyers vs. Penguins.
post #659 of 2278 Old 12-13-2007, 07:06 AM

Does anyone know if Verizon is planning to make FIOS internet or TV available in Mount Laurel, NJ? I know many of the surrounding communities (Cherry Hill, Marlton, Medford) all have it.

Any information would be appreciated.
post #660 of 2278 Old 12-14-2007, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

You should contact your township office and see if they have an agreement in place for Verizon to be a cable franchisee. Each town needs to act on this since most are "one horse" shows prior to the last couple of years.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page