Philadelphia, PA - Verizon - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2271 Old 01-11-2008, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my Fios TV installed this past Tuesday. So far I like it a lot. I'm coming from Directv so I thought I would give you my thoughts on the picture quality. First the SD content from Fios on my SD TV looks as good if not better than D*. The SD content on my HDTV looks a little bit worse than D*. However, the HD content from FIOS on my HDTV looks better than what i was getting with D*.

I had Tivos from D* and its going to take a little bit getting use to the Fios guide, but at $50 less per month, I'll be able to buy an HD Tivo for my fios in no time!

I like the VOD, now if they could just get HD VOD going that would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2271 Old 01-11-2008, 07:55 AM

Had Fios install (triple play) in October after years of Comcast for TV and internet....Had a tiling problem for about 6 months that Comcast couldn't fix after MANY "housecalls"....So far, knocking on the proverbial wood, Fios has been problem free....Pic quality on 2 HD sets is outstanding, but only slightly better than Comcast, but substantially improved on 2 std def TV's....The "occasional" tiling blip comes up, but few and far between, only lasting split second or 2 when it happens, nothing to ruin viewing experience....Still like the DVR/On Demand/Guide functions of Comcast, but that is probably more a function of what I was used to as opposed to how Fios works...New guide, if and when it appears should sway me there, but I didn't order the service for the guide, etc.....Fios internet, 15/5, flawless and fast....Thanks to those on this forum for their insight and help....
post #723 of 2271 Old 01-12-2008, 08:10 PM

Anyone else having picture and audio drop outs tonight?
post #724 of 2271 Old 01-13-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox2004 View Post

Anyone else having picture and audio drop outs tonight?

The local CBS3-HD transmission seems to be the problem. Folks on Comcast, Fios, OTA have all reported on dslreports that there is a problem. If you are seeing dropouts on other stations, then that's different problem.
post #725 of 2271 Old 01-14-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdos View Post

...Had a tiling problem for about 6 months that Comcast couldn't fix after MANY "housecalls"...Still like the DVR/On Demand/Guide functions of Comcast....

I had that problem with Comcast for about a year and a half while waiting for the FiOS TV to be implemented in our area. Even "rebuilding" the neighborhood cabling system, my neighbors still complain about the Comcast tiling. As for the Guide, we can only hope that the "new" Guide on FiOS will be as good as Comcast's, and that we will soon get HD OnDemand. Silly to be paying all this money for HD programming, and can only enjoy it if you DVR it for later viewing.
post #726 of 2271 Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 AM

Got the new guide this morning. I suppose everyone else did too. Haven't had much time to play with it, but liked what I saw. I was checking out the dual tuner buffers and it was definately working, but my "last" button didn't seem to work. I was able to switch between two channels and they both maintained their recorded buffer, but I couldn't go to the one channel and then hit "last" to go back to the other? Some things were a little slow responding, like the guide, the VOD, etc. but it might just be because its still very new. I like the new guide, you can set it to be transparent, or small or half guide on the side, and also using the "channel" button you can page up and page down, which is nice.
post #727 of 2271 Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 AM

I just switched from Comcast about 2 weeks ago so getting the new guide relatively quickly was nice.

I like what I see so far as well. I've seen nothing but complaints from people in other markets about a variety of things with the new IMG. I have yet to experience any problems but I also haven't played around much. I love paging down...that's so handy and is something I missed after switching.

DVR response time seems faster as well. I'm going to try out the VOD when I get home from work. Like jwhitesel said, the guide is slow to come up. Not ideal but it could be worse.
post #728 of 2271 Old 01-16-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I played a bit today, but am still not satisfied with the procedures. Comcast's Guide seemed simpler to navigate, and gave a level of choices before needing to page through the selections. With Sports, it gave a choice of the various sports, such as football, and then gave the programs. Here, if you select Sports, it will display a total listing of sporting titles, including movies, and then you page through. If you type into the search, such as NFL or NHL, it will then give you what you are looking for rather quickly, but the typing part seems an unnecessary step. Also, the On Demand did not function for me, telling me to "wait" for it, although it didn't show anything within the first minute, and it froze the box on that window, not allowing me to "exit" or hit "last" to get out of it. We'll see how friendly it is once we get more accustomed to its interface.
post #729 of 2271 Old 01-16-2008, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A few complaints:

The IMG exits with the front panel displaying the channel number. Takes about a minute to change back to time display. FYI - This is a documented "feature" in the Verizon IMG FAQ.
No way to reduce the menu turn-off time (change channels, IMG shows, then disappears).
IMG doesn't take advantage of 16:9 format.

Initial startup had NBC news 810 had audio way out of sync with the video. At least you can change the video output resolution via the IMG.

It's OK, I guess. Just a matter of getting used to it.

Update: There's a FAQ posted over at DSL Reports in this thread: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r197...ut-the-new-IMG
post #730 of 2271 Old 01-16-2008, 05:03 PM

just got home from work and noticed that the new IMG was on my boxes. Ow and it is so nice. There are some problems like slow response when bringing up the guide, and some others but overall i like it some much nicer then the old one

Evan
post #731 of 2271 Old 01-16-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

It seems that the new software has bricked one of my HD boxes. The other 3 boxes are fine, but the one box keeps rebooting and displaying dashes, ones, and eights. I called Verizon but hung up after 20 minutes on hold. I guess a lot of other people are having problems.
post #732 of 2271 Old 01-16-2008, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

One positive note: It retained my DVR settings. Mythbusters is OK! Smash Lab in process. (Discovery HD)

Anyone notice that tonight's Flyers game looked a bit softer than usual? Thought I also saw some jerkiness in the motion (stuttering?). Home game, should be top notch PQ.
post #733 of 2271 Old 01-17-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl View Post

Anyone notice that tonight's Flyers game looked a bit softer than usual? Thought I also saw some jerkiness in the motion (stuttering?). Home game, should be top notch PQ.

I (we - husband and I) thought just the opposite! The PQ of the Flyers game was outstanding, much sharper and crisper than before, when we thought it was very soft. I actually thought it was as sharp and clear as HDNet hockey games are. Also didn't see any jerkiness (stuttering).
post #734 of 2271 Old 01-17-2008, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

I also think the picture quality on the HD channels is better and it is much faster with the new IMG.
post #735 of 2271 Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 AM

Overall, I'm liking the new IMG, although I think the guide has kind of a "cluttered" look to it. I thought I also saw better picture-quality last night, but then thought I was just imagining things.
post #736 of 2271 Old 01-17-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeZeeCZ View Post

I (we – husband and I) thought just the opposite! The PQ of the Flyers game was outstanding, much sharper and crisper than before, when we thought it was very soft. I actually thought it was as sharp and clear as HDNet hockey games are. Also didn't see any jerkiness (stuttering).

Thanks! There's an on-going STB stuttering problem with the IMG upgrade. I think my STB is one of them. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post12850593 Tonight's HDNet game looks a bit softer than what I normally see and the sound is out of sync on most channels. Not much, but it's noticeable. May have Verizon replace it.
post #737 of 2271 Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
IMO the new IMG looks more advanced and has definately caught up with the Comcast IMG in that respect, but thus far it doesn't appear to really provide much more functionality than the old IMG did. For starters, you still can't customize it and I would at least like to be able to set it to 16x9, so that I can take advantage of all of my screen's real estate... which might help make it look somewhat less cluttered and cramped. It also looks like "Repeat" TV shows aren't being identified (again), and there is still no HD VOD content, which Comcast has been delivering for years.

I switched from Comcast to FIOS TV and Verizon's fiber infrastructure with the expectation that Verizon would far surpass Comcast in the delivery of HD content, but thus far they continue to lag behind.

Wake up Verizon and for once try taking a leadership position in delivering a service, rather than only stepping up when your competion forces you into it. Preciate it.
post #738 of 2271 Old 01-18-2008, 06:38 AM

I'm having a problem with the IMG update. I can not access the service menu to set 4:3 override. My 16:9 TV displays high definition normally but 4:3 programming is stretched.
The new video settings menu does not have a setting for 4:3 override. My current setup is STB > hdmi switching receiver (onkyo tx-sr 805) > Samsung HLN567.
Previously, you could enter the service menu on the motorola hd/dvr 6416 by pressing menu with the power off. Now, that function does not seem to work.
post #739 of 2271 Old 01-18-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmisbin View Post

I'm having a problem with the IMG update. I can not access the service menu to set 4:3 override. My 16:9 TV displays high definition normally but 4:3 programming is stretched.
The new video settings menu does not have a setting for 4:3 override. My current setup is STB > hdmi switching receiver (onkyo tx-sr 805) > Samsung HLN567.
Previously, you could enter the service menu on the motorola hd/dvr 6416 by pressing menu with the power off. Now, that function does not seem to work.

press the OK button then Menu.
post #740 of 2271 Old 01-18-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torno View Post

press the OK button then Menu.

That seems to work, thanks for the quick response!!!
Where did you find out how to do this? When I called Verizon tech support, no one there seemed to know how to get into the service menu.
This (the service menu option) is probably going to be important to anyone who is using an hdmi switching receiver.
post #741 of 2271 Old 01-18-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmisbin View Post

It's a "feature" of the new IMG. Resetting the video output resolution changes the 4:3 setting on the STB to a default setting. Found in the broadbandreports.com FiOS TV forum. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiostv. Since Philly is among the last in the country to get the new IMG, there's plenty of help available from those who got it first.

There's a thread for the FiOS QIP6416 DVR: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12790304

The new setup menu sequence: off, select, menu
post #742 of 2271 Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

After a rather lengthy session involving multiple calls to Verizon tech support. I think my STB's stuttering and audio sync problem may have been solved by a total reload of the STB's firmware. Details on the QIP64616 HD-DVR thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post12863198.

Update to clarify that this is above and beyond what can be done by remote resetting alone. It's a total brain-wipe and needs Verizon to re-authenticate after the upload.
post #743 of 2271 Old 01-19-2008, 02:41 AM

My DVR-HD-STB and the remote SD-STB both needed to be powered off and restarted in order to work after the upgrade. Is this normal?

CON: I agree that the new image looks cluttered. I think I will get used to it eventually.

CON: Now, if I am watching something "tape-delayed" while it is recording, I don't get the minutes played vs. minutes remaining to display. It only shows the start time and the end time and milestone graphic time line. When the recording session ends, then I get the minutes played and minutes remaining to show. To me, this is one feature that was REMOVED with the the new IMG. This is my biggest complaint so far. However, if I get a more responsive FF/REW/Play (see PRO), maybe I don't need to rely on the minutes as much as I used to skip commercials.

CON: Minor, but I also noticed the DISPLAY-DELAY when the display is returning from channel number to TOD. I think I can get used to it. Not a big deal.

PRO: On the DVR-HD-STB my FF and return to PLAY are MUCH MORE RESPONSIVE than before. That I like VERY much. I can zip through commercials much more efficiently than before, IMO.

PRO: I have not noticed any change in PQ on my old WEGA with component input. PQ is still OUTSTANDING!
post #744 of 2271 Old 01-19-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuranda View Post

My DVR-HD-STB and the remote SD-STB both needed to be powered off and restarted in order to work after the upgrade. Is this normal?

The only power-down needed should be hitting the OFF button and not disconnecting the AC. You should see a "Welcome to Verizon FiOS" message for a while, then all is OK. Anything else after the first time is not normal.

Did that a lot yesterday while debugging my STB with Verizon.
post #745 of 2271 Old 01-19-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you recommending to do this procedure to cure the audio sync? I'm getting the same thing on some channels, and it's very annoying. I don't have the stuttering though, so did Verizon suggest anything else to try first for just the sync?
post #746 of 2271 Old 01-19-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

So far, yes. It was not a case of "what do you suggest". They went through a script and nothing I could say could deviate them to what I wanted. They forced me through disconnecting and reconnecting cables, changing channels, etc. All I asked for was a replacement STB. However, I'm glad the firmware reload worked (so far).

Did you try resetting your STB from your Verizon login account? The one you access from here: https://www22.verizon.com/myaccount/. The FiOS TV section has a status area that you can do an STB reset and health check. Works fine. BTW: Do this from Internet Explorer or you won't see the little menu popup showing the status.

If the audio sync isn't fixed (I suspect it won't be), then you need the full upload. I call that a total brain-wipe for the non-tech crowd . IOW, erase the flash memory and restart from the bootloader.

You need to convince them that the box reset didn't work and you want to try the full reset - the one that puts the STB back to it's factory settings. Should take about 20 minutes. You will have to call them back after 20 minutes to re-authenticate the STB on their side. Be sure the agent puts in all the notes of the call so when you call back they have the info. When you do that, say "tech support" to get to the right person.
post #747 of 2271 Old 01-19-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone notice that WYBE-DT is now active on 875? Just saw the crawler on the Weather Channel "Local on the 8's". Effective 1/17. Didn't notice it before.
post #748 of 2271 Old 01-19-2008, 03:11 PM

Does anyone know if the following is possible.

Start a recording to "time shift"
Begin watching the recording (after about 20 minutes)
Stop or pause to go to live TV on a different channel.
Switch back to recording and watch from where you left off.

I seems to only give a "Play" option which goes to the start of the recording.

Any ideas?
post #749 of 2271 Old 01-19-2008, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Jim Hef - Update. Just watched the NBC network news at 6:30 PM. The audio was way out of sync. Got ready to call Verizon, then checked OTA. It's the OTA. Be sure that your sync problem is with channels other than OTA. (My problems were for most channels.)

Flyers game on CW57 tonight. OTA vs. FiOS looks as it should. "Widescreen" format. I'm seeing some stuttering OTA, but more on FiOS. Wonder if there's a difference in the feeds, since OTA passes through the broadcast chain and it might be correcting some errors where the fiber feeds to FiOS aren't. No, I'm not counting the flash photos in the crowd as stuttering.
post #750 of 2271 Old 01-20-2008, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, flash photos from the top row really make a lot of sense. No, I don't use an antennae to get the OTA channels...don't see the need to try that. I haven't watched enough to see if the audio is synced properly, but this morning, the shows that I watched were fine. Will see in a minute when I switch to network broadcasts for the news shows.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page