post #1711 of 2278 Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURA View Post

TCN - The Comcast Network (CN8 Phila.)

The Philadelphia Flyers announced their TV schedule today and have several games listed on TCN - The Comcast Network (CN8 when I was on Comcast). This is not CSN - Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia.

Will this channel be available when Flyers games are on this channel?

Thank you in advance.

Nope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2278 Old 09-16-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarlsen View Post

Nope.

1st 2 games of season are on TCN and 2 of last 3 games of the season also and 6 others. Just wonderful.
Can't NHL network show them? Or is that part of the blackout rule?
post #1713 of 2278 Old 09-16-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Nope. I gripe about this every year. The TV schedule: http://flyers.nhl.com/v2/ext/SCHEDUL...TVschedule.pdf

Sept. 17 vs. Toronto (London) 7:00 PM NHL Network <---
Sept. 19 @ Toronto 7:00 PM --
Sept. 22 vs. Detroit 7:00 PM TCN <---
Sept. 24 vs. New Jersey 7:00 PM CSN <---
Sept. 26 @ New Jersey 7:00 PM --
Sept. 29 vs. Minnesota 7:00 PM webcast on philadelphiaflyers.com

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=498649
Quote:

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that all 82 of their 2009-10 regular season games will be locally televised. Comcast SportsNet will televise 63 games, The Comcast Network (TCN), will televise 10 games and VERSUS will televise eight games exclusively in the local market. In addition, NBC’s exclusive coverage of the National Hockey League on Sunday afternoons potentially includes five Flyers contests.

post #1714 of 2278 Old 09-16-2009, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt View Post

Hey Kids-
Enjoyed the 1st Sunday of the Red Zone channel in HD yesterday. I have to admit, I was in heaven.

It was like being on football crack! Constant moving between games, all in HD - great commentary, etc. During the Eagles halftime I was able to watch 6 other game's LIVE highlights.

This channel is amazing. It would be worth $100 let alone its current $50 price tag. Combine that with the Red Zone widget (which also got pushed to us yesterday), Week 1 was amazing.

Geek - was tough watching that semi-late hit on Donovan's TD, as well as Lidge's daily meltdown.

I heard it is good but please don't say its worth $50 let alone more when comcast includes it as part of their sports package which is $6/mo and directv also has it included with other stuff and for much less then $50.

though I did notice a few comments down that comcast doens't have the nfl red zone channel in HD somehow but sounds like fios does. still please dont justify them charging that much for one channel. its highway robbery and they do enough of that already.
post #1715 of 2278 Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 PM

I watched most of the first Eagles' game in HD. I thought the closer camera shots were pretty sharp, but that the "full field view" camera looked much worse. Anyone else observe this?

I kept flipping back to Jets game on CBS to compare, and I thought the full view camera image looked better/sharper. Trying to decide if this has anything to do with my new display or maybe my eyes are just getting old.
post #1716 of 2278 Old 09-17-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you have any Blu-ray DVD calibration discs? If not, do you have the Verizon DVR? HD Net has weekly test patterns that you can record for playback on your STB in full 1080i. I have the "series" recorded, including repeats and keep the last 2. It's only 10 minutes long.

Sat, Sep 19 - 6:30 AM ET
3:30 AM PT HDNet Test Patterns
Wonder how your home theatre is doing? Wish you had test patterns to help set it up? Well, HDNet is here to help. This short program will help you get the most out of your home theatre setup by providing you with the same professional test patterns HDNet uses to set their gear.

Sat, Oct 3 - 6:30 AM ET
3:30 AM PT HDNet Test Patterns
Wonder how your home theatre is doing? Wish you had test patterns to help set it up? Well, HDNet is here to help. This short program will help you get the most out of your home theatre setup by providing you with the same professional test patterns HDNet uses to set their gear.

FWIW, Comcast Sportsnet HD has incredibly good PQ when they show local sports (the Phillies just finished up a homestand... ). HD Net's live events are also darn good. ESPN-HD comes in a close 3rd.
post #1717 of 2278 Old 09-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

For all of you NBA TV'ers out there...finally have some confirmation!

NBA TV (SD) will be added with the 4 Rainbow HD's between 9/28 and 10/1.

NBA TV (HD) along with League Pass (SD/HD) will be added prior to the start of the season on 10/27.
post #1718 of 2278 Old 09-22-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Verizon has just finished laying the line underground in my subdivision so I'm hoping we have the service available soon which leads me to questions I'm hoping some can answer for me.
1) How long after the line line has been laid should I expect service to be availabe?
2) Is it typically for all services or just one or two when the service first becomes available?
3) In reading past comments here, it's my understanding that the install at my house could take the better part of a full day, does that still hold true?
4) Are there any pitfalls during install that I should look out for?
5) It's also my understanding, I'll need a box for all my TVs, is that true? I have four HDTV flat panels. If I use a CC instead of a box on any of these TVs, what is the cost of the CC vs. a box?
6) It's also my understanding that the media center DVR will NOT stream HD to the other TVs, is that still an issue?
7) Also, I have read that customer service/billing has been a real thorn for many, is that still an issue? Any advice on handling this from the begining?
8) Finally Internet. Does Verizon install their own modem or will mine do? I'm currently using Comcast & I'm supposed to be getting 16mps but the best I've clocked is 11mps.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed with all my questions and thank you all in advance for any insights you can give. I've complacently dragged along this past year or two with Comcast and I'm very excited to finally have a choice soon!

Carl Jones
post #1719 of 2278 Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Can't answer the installation availability questions, but yes, you need a box or a card for every TV, and there are no package deals for the number of boxes. Normally, they would send a crew out to install the underground line to your house prior to sending another crew to do the actual installation. You'll need a power line near the distribution area within your house. Otherwise, once it enters the house, all your copper coax is used for distribution to each location within the house. If you need any new locations, that will take more time, but a half day should be plenty for most installs. Yes, you'll get a new wireless router that is part of your computer network.

When you order, tell them you don't want the free month of the wrestling channel, unless you are a fan! That free part requires that you call back to cancel it, and that part doesn't go very efficiently. Also, if you have your own virus protection and network security, you don't need their added cost service.

Call the customer service line and ask about installation to your home. You should be able to at least get a date from them.
post #1720 of 2278 Old 09-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Wasn't aware of these before now...but 2 new stations were added today..

THIS-Tv on Channel 467 (Sub-channel of WPHL)
- I've seen this mentioned in other areas previously...some funky cartoon was showing this morning when I checked it

Telefutura on Channel 26

Next Monday should be our next additions (AMC, Fuse, IFC, WE HD's and NBA TV SD)
post #1721 of 2278 Old 09-22-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Jones View Post

Verizon has just finished laying the line underground in my subdivision so I'm hoping we have the service available soon which leads me to questions I'm hoping some can answer for me.
1) How long after the line line has been laid should I expect service to be availabe?
2) Is it typically for all services or just one or two when the service first becomes available?
3) In reading past comments here, it's my understanding that the install at my house could take the better part of a full day, does that still hold true?
5) It's also my understanding, I'll need a box for all my TVs, is that true? I have four HDTV flat panels. If I use a CC instead of a box on any of these TVs, what is the cost of the CC vs. a box?
6) It's also my understanding that the media center DVR will NOT stream HD to the other TVs, is that still an issue?
7) Also, I have read that customer service/billing has been a real thorn for many, is that still an issue? Any advice on handling this from the begining?
8) Finally Internet. Does Verizon install their own modem or will mine do? I'm currently using Comcast & I'm supposed to be getting 16mps but the best I've clocked is 11mps.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed with all my questions and thank you all in advance for any insights you can give. I've complacently dragged along this past year or two with Comcast and I'm very excited to finally have a choice soon!

Yes, expect a few hours.

Be sure they properly ground the ONT. Part of the procedure, but they didn't do a good job on mine. I fixed it. This was a few years ago, so they should be OK.

See (8) below.

7) Also, I have read that customer service/billing has been a real thorn for many, is that still an issue? Any advice on handling this from the beginning?

Get a copy of the service order that has your full service order number. There are several "numbers" in your paperwork. Ask the techs which one you should copy down. They'll also use those numbers when they call in to authorize the installed equipment.

In case of problems, you'll need some of those numbers until your account is fully entered into the system. As for "problems", it's pot luck. Can happen with Comcast also.

They will supply the modem. It's got an RF input to handle the program guide info (MoCA). You can use your their router as a bridge to yours, but it's not really needed.

Pitfall: Never, ever let them near your PC! There's absolutely nothing extra needed to get FiOS working. Plan and simple DHCP boot to a router. That's it. Anything else is crapware sold by Verizon.

Be sure to immediately change the router login password once you get it configured. The passwords are known. Standard browser interface, connect to http://192.168.1.1/ and login. Be sure to review the firewall rules - the default configuration is OK, but needs some tweaking to get it right. Also, you'll need to get the wireless configuration correct. If you're not using wireless, disable it.

Lot of info on the DSL Reports.com Verizon FiOS TV forum: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiostv

And the FiOS internet forum: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

Be sure to checkout the FAQs: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios
post #1722 of 2278 Old 09-23-2009, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jim & Geekgirl for your responses & thanks for the links as well, I'll continue my reading.

What of costs of CC vs. a box? Perhaps I'll find the answer in the provided links.

Carl Jones
post #1723 of 2278 Old 09-26-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

JeepMatt: four hour alert! Do you have your white shirt on???
post #1724 of 2278 Old 09-26-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt View Post

Next Monday should be our next additions (AMC, Fuse, IFC, WE HD's and NBA TV SD)

Channels? (thanks!)

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

My DVD Profiler
post #1725 of 2278 Old 09-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

JeepMatt: four hour alert! Do you have your white shirt on???

Jim, why yes I did - but PSU was SO overrated at #5, and it doesn't shock me at all to see them blow a nationally televised night game at home - and this coming from a devout alumni. It's just another reason I don't get into PSU football anymore - and gave up my season tickets this year. I'm more excited about my high school being 4-0 this year for the 1st time in 30 years.

Max-
NBA SD will be on Channel 89 (HD will be on 589 by the end of Oct)

The other four WILL follow the +500 rule. I really don't watch any of these channels, so i'm not sure where their SD versions are in the lineup.
post #1726 of 2278 Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Worst half of football that I've seen them play in years! Ugly!
post #1727 of 2278 Old 09-28-2009, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

AMC HD
Fuse HD
IFC HD
We HD

All live this morning out of VHO8 - looks like they are sharing 561 MHz and 69 MHz (I've never seen a frequency this low used before!!!)

NBA TV SD is showing on Channel 89 - but a "You Are Not Subscribed Box" pops up - obviously an early provisioning error....since this should be coming in. Hopefully this will be fixed at some point today.

Enjoy - every VHO should have these by Thursday.
post #1728 of 2278 Old 09-28-2009, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Now if only VHO8 could just fix the damn pixelation problems, I'd be a happy camper.

More != Better.

Better = Better!!!!

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #1729 of 2278 Old 09-28-2009, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Is this still happening on your ABC? I haven't seen pixelation in awhile, and that was just an occasional thing that I attributed to the feed.
post #1730 of 2278 Old 09-28-2009, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

ABC-HD is total crap. It's WPVI's problem. I don't even watch it any longer. I had written a letter to the station manager, that obviously went into the trash can there. The audio is horrible and PQ is just as bad.

The pixelation is on many channels now. SHO, HBO, HGTV were what I noticed this weekend. Pretty bad last night on Californication (SHO).

-steve
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #1731 of 2278 Old 09-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Steve-
I've been reporting the tiling for a month now on Food HD and HGTV - even have tickets open, the VHO manager looking into it, etc -

Every time they look, they say "we don't see anything"...

Never have seen it on the Premiums though...
post #1732 of 2278 Old 09-28-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I just noticed it last night on SHO... HGTV is pretty bad. I'll open a ticket on DSL direct forums for it, also. Strength in numbers

-steve
post #1733 of 2278 Old 09-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Ordered for a November installation. Fingers crossed.

-Chris
post #1734 of 2278 Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reminder to record Californication...had forgotten about it!

Meanwhile, the surround sound mix for the Eagles game is really terrible on NBC. Strictly center channel for the announcers, and a lesser volume than what is necessary, with the left/right and surrounds being crowd noises and occasional audio from the field picking up the refs calls to the guys to stop play and some signal calling. I had to turn it off and use the TVs speakers to listen to it properly.
post #1735 of 2278 Old 09-28-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that is an NBC issue. Some of the other games were crap, too.

Hope you caught Californication... it was a good season opener

-steve
post #1736 of 2278 Old 09-28-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Thanks for the reminder to record Californication...had forgotten about it!

Meanwhile, the surround sound mix for the Eagles game is really terrible on NBC. Strictly center channel for the announcers, and a lesser volume than what is necessary, with the left/right and surrounds being crowd noises and occasional audio from the field picking up the refs calls to the guys to stop play and some signal calling. I had to turn it off and use the TVs speakers to listen to it properly.

You mean CBS? I had no problems with video or sound. However, I hated how the CBS camera man started every single play with it zoomed way out and the zooming in as soon as the ball was snapped. So annoying.
post #1737 of 2278 Old 09-28-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Was the game on CBS and not NBC? Whoever it was broadcast by, it was terrible production!

Steve, 10:00 tonight for the rerun.
post #1738 of 2278 Old 09-28-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea, my bad on the NBC/CBS, too. I missed that.

The ol' DVR is getting a workout tonight

-steve
post #1739 of 2278 Old 09-29-2009, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

ABC-HD is total crap...The audio is horrible...

TOTALLY agreed. It's been about a month now.

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

My DVD Profiler
post #1740 of 2278 Old 09-29-2009, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKarras View Post

Ordered for a November installation. Fingers crossed.

Please let the rest of us Philly folk know how it goes.

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page