Philadelphia, PA - Verizon - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2278 Old 03-05-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 182
The low volume comes from CSN. It was low when I had Comcast also. ONly on CSN-HD. Colume on CSN-SD is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2278 Old 03-05-2007, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to the board and new to FIOS. Just posted this in the HDTV installation area, but since I live in Philadelphia (Phoenixville), I thought it would be relevant here too. Thanks.

Just got FIOS TV and Phone installed on Friday and wanted to share my experience. Switching from DirecTV to FIOS TV and from MCI to the FIOS phone. Installation did not go as planned. I'd appreciate any advice about anything I could have done differently.

First, the good: the PQ is outstanding through HD-DVRs. And altho I am a long-time Tivo user, I think the Verizon DVR is on its way to being comparable. Also, the installation tech who did the work on site was extremely courteous and helpful. Even helped me lift my new Sony Bravia LCD into the cabinet.

Now, as for the problems:

the tech knew nothing about a phone order when he arrived. He was only here to do the TV (even though I ordered both at the same time). When I called Verizon to work this out, no one could find my original order. Then, in the midst of this, my phone dropped dead. Turns out MCI shut us off, as the switch was made to Verizon. I called Verizon from my cell and promptly got moved around and put on hold by a succession of 8 agents who tried to figure out what was going on. After promises of a dial tone and call backs, nothing happened through the weekend. I have had no dial tone in the house since 10am Friday. I did unscrew the NID and plugged into the outside jack and got a dial tone via the copper. Now I have a line snaked into the house from the NID so I can use the phone in the house. I finally got a work order to have a copper tech come out on Wednesday (!) to get the jacks inside the house working again.

I was told this morning that the switchover from MCI copper to Verizon copper must happen first before Verizon can switch the copper to FIOS. Of course, no one explained that to me up front and I spent several HOURS on my cell phone this weekend trying to figure out what was wrong.

Also, Verizon thinks the install tech did something to the phone wire that caused the loss of the interior jacks. He claims however that he didn't touch the phone and only did the TV install.

The CS reps were either extremely lost or extremely rude, depending which I talked to. No one knew what the problem was or how to fix it. After spending several hours on the phone with these people, I'm really looking for some kind of credit or adjustment to make up for the aggravation. I NEVER went through this with DirecTV (or any other service company, for that matter).

On the TV side, I ordered the HD-DVR with Home Media Manager and a separate STB in the bedroom to stream programs from the HD-DVR downstairs. Altho the upstairs TV is SD, I was told I needed an HD receiver to work with the Home Media Manager. This turns out not to work. I receive live programs fine upstairs, but the box does not see any recordings from the downstairs DVR. So, I suspect I need a different STB upstairs that works with Home Media Mgr. Also, it looks like you cannot stream HD recordings, altho the phone reps say otherwise.

After more back and forth with Verizon today, I convinced them to swap the upstairs HD recvr with a HD-DVR and drop the Home Media Manager altogether (we're a Mac house, so we can't transfer photos etc via Verizon anyway). A separate tech should be coming out Wednesday to swap the boxes. I won't be surprised if some separate install charge shows up on my first bill for this, which I will then have to spend more time on hold trying to argue with CS reps.

I realize these forums tend to attract "problems" and I'd prefer that my first post didn't read this way. But this entire experience with Verizon's CS reps has been a painful use of time over these past 72 hours.

Thank goodness the PQ balances out the aggravation. Almost.
post #183 of 2278 Old 03-05-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

When I had the internet service installed the tech was superb. The repeat of that happened this time, and wound up with three guys running around my house asking what they could do to help me further. It's a shame that your installation went as it did, but, the customer service reps can't be sure what the tech did at your place, and wouldn't be able to answer your questions regarding the problem. I amazed though that they didn't have someone there the next day to diagnose the problem and come to a solution. That's not my experience with Verizon, either voice phone over the years, or with this FiOS stuff. I have everything via Verizon, and am so glad to be done with Comcast...now that was a repeated problem that I finally just said the hell with! Good luck with getting this resolved next week. By the way, I'm on a Mac, since '84, and wouldn't have it otherwise! And, the FiOS internet service has never been down in the time I've had it, about two years now. I will say that the techs don't know Mac though, but someone in the office is always available to walk you through any problem should you need it, although they read from a manual starting with Step 1...restart your computer!
post #184 of 2278 Old 03-05-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got the IMac myself and it really works great.
post #185 of 2278 Old 03-05-2007, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Off topic, but the Mac is a great tool, and so much more trouble free, especially when it's devoid of viruses! In 20+ years on the operating systems, I've only had one virus, and that wasn't a threatening one.
post #186 of 2278 Old 03-06-2007, 08:41 AM

Did I see a three for one $99 offer for fios on TV today in the Philadelphia area? I what NBC 10 in the morning.
post #187 of 2278 Old 03-06-2007, 11:51 AM

Hey Jwhip, I HAVE ON SEVERAL OCCATIONS TRIED TO GET YOUR ATTENTION. Sorry for the caps. I have been told that Rosemont, DELCO Side which is part of Radnor Township, should have had FiOS internet already by now, but i am getting no-where with any info. I was wondering if there was a way you might have anymore access to this information. I had Verizon FiOS installed here at my work in Ardmore, Delco side Haverford Township, Its really great and speed is good, Took 3 and half hours to install on the day of wind and temps in the low Double Digits, So the install Tech's took a tad longer to do the job, But it was well worth it. But I really would like some details on when my house will have it avilable.
post #188 of 2278 Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

lm, go to the Verizon FiOS webpage and enter your phone number. That is the best way to find out. Otherwise, you can call the number on that page under Contact us.
post #189 of 2278 Old 03-06-2007, 01:43 PM

Jwhip i called them got no-where and also the site says its not avilable and that email thing just doesnt cut it at all.
post #190 of 2278 Old 03-06-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

LM, what dio you expect me to do? If the site says it is not available for your home phone number, it isn't. It will be but I would not know when. If FiOS internet is available at your home, the TV service should be soon as well. Verizon is fairly tight lipped about this type of information. Just keep trying.
post #191 of 2278 Old 03-07-2007, 09:03 AM

I'm new to FIOS and new to HD here in the Philadelphia and I have what might be a stupid question. Hope you folks can help.

Several of the shows listed in the FIOS program guide are marked as HD, but when we watch or record them, they just seem to be in Standard Def. No widescreen, no HD picture, etc.

Specifically, we record a number of shows on 873 (WHYY-2) and 874 (WHYY-Arts) -- shows like Soundstage and Charlie Rose -- and we've yet to see them in HD. Also, Ellen DeGeneres on NBC WCAU 810.

We get other HD shows and channels just fine. Any idea what the problem is with the ones I listed? I don't know if the shows I mentioned are not really taped in HD or if the channels we selected don't broadcast them in HD. It looks like EVERY show listed in the guide on an 800 channel is noted as HD, but I don't know if they truly are. Am I missing some way to tell if a show really will be in HD? Thanks for any help!
post #192 of 2278 Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 AM

As I'm sure you know, the show has to be filmed in HD in order for it to appear in HD on any of the HD channels. There is a lot of Standard Def programming still out there, most everything out of prime time is SD. So yes, they show these SD shows on the HD channels. Since you say you get other HD shows just fine, there's no problem with your setup or install.

I wouldn't trust the guide that says whether a show is in HD or not. Obviously needs a little tweaking.
post #193 of 2278 Old 03-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Robb-
Yes, this is an issue right now. It seems the FIOS On-screen guide has every channel listed in the 800's as HD.

As we all know, this is incorrect.
post #194 of 2278 Old 03-08-2007, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a dumb question which I'm sure is captured in multiple FIOS forums but I've missed it somehow;

Are you able to capture any of the HD channels via a QAM tuner? If so, is TVGOS transmitted?

Carl Jones
post #195 of 2278 Old 03-08-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Jones View Post

I have a dumb question which I'm sure is captured in multiple FIOS forums but I've missed it somehow;

Are you able to capture any of the HD channels via a QAM tuner? If so, is TVGOS transmitted?

No problem capturing HD channels via QAM with my Vizio vx20l. I get all the locals. You need the HD box to get premium channels (HBO, ESPN, etc.)
What is TVGOS? Not familiar with this abbreviation.
post #196 of 2278 Old 03-08-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info, I thought it would/should. TVGOS is TV Guide. With TVs so equipped you are able to get program info on the channels. I have a 37" Sharp in my bedroom & REALLY would like to avoid adding a stb there.

Carl Jones
post #197 of 2278 Old 03-08-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Jones View Post

Thanks for the info, I thought it would/should. TVGOS is TV Guide. With TVs so equipped you are able to get program info on the channels. I have a 37" Sharp in my bedroom & REALLY would like to avoid adding a stb there.

I was not at all satisfied with the program info I was able to get with my Vizio regarding the digital/hd channels I was able to get. As far as I could tell there was no program info without the stb.
post #198 of 2278 Old 03-09-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone confirm that the Motorola QIP-2500-3 set-top box does not have a settings selection for resolution output as the high def boxes have? I just bought a Vizio 20" for my office, and wanted to play with the various outputs, and none showed using the normal "menu" button access. I'll be switching this box for a high-def one, but in the meantime, thought I'd try things out without success.
post #199 of 2278 Old 03-10-2007, 06:46 AM

FWIW

I have heard from a VZ tech that Marlton, NJ (Evesham Twp) will not be live for FIOS TV until August 2007. So I guess I can stop checking the website every 15 minutes for database updates!
post #200 of 2278 Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 AM

Howwen, does that include internet too?
post #201 of 2278 Old 03-15-2007, 11:32 AM

I have had 10/2 Fios Internet since Mid-february. I thought all of Evesham was live for internet.
post #202 of 2278 Old 03-15-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I had one of the regular digital boxes swapped for a high def box and the installation took almost as long as the original. The service center wasn't able to communicate with the box for some reason, and the tech at the house had to speak with three different people at the office to get one to do the correct thing. I judged that he was on the phone for about 1 hour 15 minutes. After the box finally output a picture, there was no sound via the HDMI connection. That cable was bad out of the wrapper, and a new one solved the problem. Again, the tech at the home was excellent, and a bit frustrated by the staff at the office. Should you be doing the same thing, ask for an HDMI cable if that's the way you want it hooked up, and they'll provide one rather than running component. No need to purchase one from an outside source.
post #203 of 2278 Old 03-15-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know if any parts of Bensalem township in Bucks county have FiOS yet? Wiki listed it, but that doesnt mean much.... and I dont' wanna keep entering random addresses on verizon's webpage.. thanks!
post #204 of 2278 Old 03-16-2007, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The tech told me yesterday that there are over 100 techs assigned to this area, to service Bensalem, Newtown, Yardley, and Lower Makefield. So, they must be there somewhere!
post #205 of 2278 Old 03-16-2007, 08:31 AM

Rats, I called them a few weeks ago and they told me it wasn't available. I wonder if it because I live in an apartment?
post #206 of 2278 Old 03-16-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

It could be that fiber isn't strung to your apartment complex yet. Bensalem is a large area, and they may just be stringing fiber through parts of the area now, trying to get it fully implemented. Did you try calling for internet service instead of the TV? There may be a different department for that within their offices.
post #207 of 2278 Old 03-18-2007, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
They are pulling fiber in my town now, so just tagging this thread so it is easier to find and keep up on...

Dave
post #208 of 2278 Old 03-19-2007, 08:21 AM

Thanks Jim. I will give that a try.
post #209 of 2278 Old 03-21-2007, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

An interesting article in today's Inquirer on how ComCast is forcing customers to upgrade their service: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/busin...customers.html
Additional comments posted in the ComCast thread, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10084930, since it's all about ComCast (with a brief mention of losing some customers to FiOS TV).
post #210 of 2278 Old 03-21-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody have any idea why WYBE-DT (SD, Channel 35 analog) has really bad motion blur and pixelation? It looks like a processing chain problem somewhere in Verizon. Verified OK with OTA. Time of day: 1 PM to about 3 PM, didn't check any other times. STB diagnostics show good SNR, AGC. No errors. Only seen on channel 35, others OK.

Update: Posted on broadbandreports.com FiOS TV Bucks County thread: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...rt=80#18041500. I also opened a "Verizon Direct" (private) thread which is a direct line to report problems. If all goes as planned, they should be checking the Bucks County thread for additional user complaints.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page