Forum Jump: 

post #2191 of 2278 Old 10-06-2011, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BCarlsen-
Jim Hef is correct. If you only have a 6xxx series DVR, it will seem laggy and the guide will not be full screen. You need either a 7216 (silver), 7232 (black) DVR, or the new Cisco boxes (which only go to new customers) to enjoy the full compliments of 1.9

This is all part of VZ's plan to phase out the 6xxx series boxes, as they also are not capable of decrypting channels sent in MPEG-4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2278 Old 10-06-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

What STB DVR do you have? I've been informed that the 64XX series won't give the full screen guide, and that you need to request a 72XX series DVR to see the changes. I agree, and am getting the same symptoms that you wrote about...too large a channel info panel, too slow, and too long on the screen.

I don't know which DVR I have - it's probably the old one. I've had it since 2008. Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call.
post #2193 of 2278 Old 10-07-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
jeep - So it's not supposed to be 4:3 and laggy? Guess I'll upgrade my QIP6416. Thanks.
post #2194 of 2278 Old 10-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Geek-
Yeah, unfortunately if you only have a 6416, you're not even enjoying the full benefits of the new guide.
post #2195 of 2278 Old 10-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

So I hear the mythical Cisco boxes are actually being deployed -- Are there any benefits to them over the Motorola 72XX? Thanks
post #2196 of 2278 Old 10-11-2011, 05:28 AM

I got my new 7216 and everything's much better. Widescreen guide and much more responsive. The tech support agent was very nice but he didn't seem to think there was any difference between the 6xxx DVRs and the 7216. He offerred to upgrade me to some other DVR that had a 320 GB harddrive and would allow me to add an eSATA drive on my own. That DVR requires a one time $40 fee. He didn't push it and I didn't really want to pay anything extra, so he sent out the 7216 thinking there was something wrong with my box. Now that I have the 7216 it looks like you can add an eSATA drive to it as well.
post #2197 of 2278 Old 10-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

BCarlsen-
Yep - either the 7216 or the 7232 will allow eSata drives. Glad you are enjoying the "full" guide! Actually - that "other" DVR, the 7232, has a 500GB drive, not 320. So looks like 2 strikes on the agent ! LOL.

Schlitzie-
Yes - the Cisco boxes are being deployed in VHO8. I'm not aware of anything "amazing" above what the Moto boxes can do - other than VZ got a better deal on them.

For the most part - they are only given to new installs.
post #2198 of 2278 Old 10-13-2011, 04:01 PM

I just upgraded my old HD boxes to the 7100 series and I was surprised that there was no front display. The agent mentioned there was no clock, but I thought the channel display would remain. Oddly, the DVR box has both time and channel displays. A little excess cost-cutting, I think.
post #2199 of 2278 Old 10-17-2011, 05:53 PM

Anyone get the chapter feature to work? I enabled it on the DVR but when I hit the Up arrow nothing happens.
post #2200 of 2278 Old 10-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egruber View Post

Anyone get the chapter feature to work? I enabled it on the DVR but when I hit the Up arrow nothing happens.

I accidentally brought up the chapter feature this weekend, but it wasn't very user friendly. I was watching a recorded show and accidentally hit the up button. It showed a bunch of icons that each had a chapter number under them, but no pictures and no indication of the times for each chapter. I didn't really give it much time though.
post #2201 of 2278 Old 10-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

A bit off topic, but does anyone know if I can split off a FIOS cable to add another tv or do I need to have all home-runs from the main cable interface? Thanks for any input!
post #2202 of 2278 Old 10-25-2011, 07:15 AM

You can put a splitter in. It will reduce to signal level to attached devices. If the signal is strong enough the reduced level will still be adequate. Do a quick test before going through the trouble of a line installation.
post #2203 of 2278 Old 10-26-2011, 07:28 AM

I live in an apartment building in Center City that currently has FiOS internet available but not TV. I got a letter in the mail about a month ago saying it was "coming soon" and to call to get on the priority installation list. When I call they say they don't know when the TV will be available so they can't schedule me.

I'd really love to switch over to FiOS, but it doesn't make sense financially until I can move everything over and get a bundle package. Is there a way to find out when TV will become available? Does Verizon need to do additional work in the building before they can offer TV?
post #2204 of 2278 Old 10-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
That's odd that they have Fios internet but not TV. I am thinking it has more to do with them getting a licence from the city to offer TV service.
post #2205 of 2278 Old 10-26-2011, 03:23 PM

The city already has a franchise agreement with Verizon...they've been deploying TV to certain neighborhoods for a while. There are several apartment buildings in center city that have FiOS internet but not TV. I'm guessing they need to install more equipment. I just got excited when I got the letter, but it's been over a month and they still have no idea when they'll be able to actually set an install date.
post #2206 of 2278 Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I've finally decided that my procrastination is costing me too much money. I'm going to jump to FiOS. The latest triple-play offer seems too good to pass up.

Prime HD/25Mbps/Phone for $85 plus free Multi-DVR for life. After going through the website, it looks like I'll be paying $100 plus tax for 2 years. This includes one digital adapter and one HD STB in addition to the Multi-DVR. I've also included the $3.50 option for an unlisted phone.

OK, so here are the questions that I have.

How would I set up my home network? I currently have Comcast and I run coax to the modem. The modem connects to my Airport Extreme router and all of my computers and internet devices connect are connected to it.

I understand that with FiOS, they give you a wireless router that is connected to the ONT (???). I don't want to use their wireless router for the home network. Can I use their router like a cable modem? If so, does that prevent the cable boxes from getting certain features?

Second question - With the Multi-room DVR, I'd like to have as much HDD space as possible. Do the Cisco boxes have more HDD space than the Moto ones? Also, would a Moto STB work with a Cisco DVR? I ask because the Moto boxes aren't as deep as the Cisco ones and for the STB, that could be an issue due to where my TV is. Will they accept a request for certain boxes when I order?

Thanks.

Frank
post #2207 of 2278 Old 12-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post

How would I set up my home network?

Do the Cisco boxes have more HDD space than the Moto ones?

Our Comcast cable entered in the basement, connected to a cable modem and then to a router that fed the house. The FiOS that replaced it has fiber into the same place in the basement to their "box." The box feeds analog telephone to the telephone switch and coax to the FiOS router. I turned WiFi off on the FiOS router and just connected it's Ethernet cable to the home system, same from the as the Comcast cable modem. In effect the FiOS modem replaced the Comcast modem but there is another, bigger box on the wall that converts from fiber to coax and phone twisted pairs.

I got the larger Moto DVR and added 1T of storage over eSATA. Just bought the eSATA box (one that Verizon said on their website would work) and plugged it in once I got the current DVR firmware (a couple of months ago). I cannot answer your other questions.

-Chris
post #2208 of 2278 Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Frank -

Moto vs. Cisco - the newest Moto (7232 - black) and Cisco's are both 500GB. Now that we have IMG 1.9 - you can tack on up to a 2TB Esata drive. The DVR records to the External drive first - then to the actual DVR once that gets filled up.

Moto's will not co-exist with Ciscos. You either have 1 or the other in your home.

At the time of your install, i'd ask your tech if he has any Cisco boxes. I know they are using them for new installs only at this point.
post #2209 of 2278 Old 01-11-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKarras View Post

Our Comcast cable entered in the basement, connected to a cable modem and then to a router that fed the house. The FiOS that replaced it has fiber into the same place in the basement to their "box." The box feeds analog telephone to the telephone switch and coax to the FiOS router. I turned WiFi off on the FiOS router and just connected it's Ethernet cable to the home system, same from the as the Comcast cable modem. In effect the FiOS modem replaced the Comcast modem but there is another, bigger box on the wall that converts from fiber to coax and phone twisted pairs.

I ended up doing just that. Plugged my Airport router right into the Actiontec. Turned the wifi off on the Actiontec. Changed a few settings on the Airport and I'm golden now. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt View Post

Frank -

Moto vs. Cisco - the newest Moto (7232 - black) and Cisco's are both 500GB. Now that we have IMG 1.9 - you can tack on up to a 2TB Esata drive. The DVR records to the External drive first - then to the actual DVR once that gets filled up.

We ended up with the Cisco boxes. I had hoped for the Moto ones since they aren't as deep, but in the end, it didn't matter because I got a new shelf that is deep enough for the Cisco box.

Question about the 2TB expander drive. I went through that other thread about which drives work, other than the WD ones that are limited to 1TB. Do you have a 2TB drive connected to your setup? Which one do you have? Thanks.
post #2210 of 2278 Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

I just got a listed WD 1T drive. Only 30% full as I do not archive programs--I just take a long time to watch them The UEFA, Champions League and FA Cup matches are most of what I have....

-Chris
post #2211 of 2278 Old 01-17-2012, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

VZ and TC came to an agreement.

The channels are back on this morning (SD 303 - HD 592).

Will be offered in same packages as before the "fight".
post #2212 of 2278 Old 01-18-2012, 02:27 PM

I have FIOS locals package only. I use the QAM tuner on my TVs to watch. On my original scan Ion & NBC showed up on their proper virtual channels (61-1 & 10-1 + subchannels). Recently though, I had to rescan and channels are no longer in their proper location, but in some weir spot at like channel 64 & 78. Any idea why this happened?
post #2213 of 2278 Old 01-18-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd1276 View Post

I have FIOS locals package only. I use the QAM tuner on my TVs to watch. On my original scan Ion & NBC showed up on their proper virtual channels (61-1 & 10-1 + subchannels). Recently though, I had to rescan and channels are no longer in their proper location, but in some weir spot at like channel 64 & 78. Any idea why this happened?

I don't know what happened to those channels but I wish they'd fix it.

It's been posted at the Verizon forum here. I hoped someone at Verizon would see that discussion but I guess they didn't.
post #2214 of 2278 Old 01-19-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 140
The NBC stations are back on 10.1 and 10.2 again.
post #2215 of 2278 Old 01-19-2012, 01:30 PM

When I signed up for FiOS in 2008 I had a much better deal than Comcast was offering. Especially with the free DVR for 6 months. 3 years later and it seems like Verizon is no longer interested in competing with Comcast on price. Verizon has removed channels from my package while keeping the price the same, apparently in an attempt to lure me to a different plan. I like my basic channels (locals + Comcast SportsNet, ESPN, CNN, Discovery, etc) and I want them in HD. I called Verizon to see if I could downgrade from the Extreme HD package I was on and they told me that the current programming packages are all more expensive than I was already paying.

My FiOS plan was 20/5 internet, Extreme HD programming, 1 HD DVR, 1 HD STB, 3 digital adapters and I was paying $121/month.

So I checked Comcast's web site and it looked like I could downgrade a couple of features and save about $20/month. Before signing up I was in a Best Buy and a guy with an Xfinity shirt was at a desk near the TVs and wanted me to switch. I listened to his pitch and it turns out I'm going to be paying almost half of what Verizon was charging.

My new Comcast package is 12 Mbps internet, Digital Starter programming package, 1 Free HD DVR, 1 HD STB, 2 digital adapters for $65/month. And that price is guaranteed for a year with no contract.

I have been very happy with the Verizon FiOS product - great picture quality, never had any internet outages. Maybe I should thank them for making Comcast realize they needed to compete on price. But it's not $50/month better than Comcast.
post #2216 of 2278 Old 01-19-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
^ I am in the same place as you, right now. I had to downgrade my Fios package, drop the premiums and beg for the free DVR for life and I am still paying $120+/month.

Since the PQ is no longer as good as it was when I switched from Comcrap, I am wondering if I should now dump Fios... if I could get $50+/month back in my pocket, I think I would do it.

Maybe, it's time.

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #2217 of 2278 Old 02-15-2012, 06:24 AM

I had been having problems with my DVR for a long time and finally called Verizon. In the past I've called and they reset it and it seemed to help for a while. Now I called again and no reset would help. When I tried to watch a recorded show the DVR wouldn't respond to the remote but the buttons on the front worked fine. I tried 3 diff remotes and all the same result. Tried diff things over the phone with a tech that didn't work so they sent a new DVR. I got the new DVR and I'm having the same issue, works ok for everything except when I stop watching a recorded program the DVR won't respond to the remote when the menu comes up. I hooked the old DVR up to another tv out of curiosity and now it works fine.

I originally had a dvd recorder in the mix and a splitter but I eliminated them, going directly into the box, and I'm still having the same problem. Anybody had a similar issue. I really don't want to have to stay home from work for a tech to come out but it looks like that may be my only option.
post #2218 of 2278 Old 02-26-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Has anyone been having problems with FOX 29 HD lately? It seems like every time the program cuts to a commercial or from commercial to program there is a brief hesitation before the signal locks back in. It's like the signal is trying to resync. It seems to happen to FOX shows that I record, but never with any other station.
post #2219 of 2278 Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. All the time and for a few months now at least. I thought I posted it before but I don't see it anywhere.
post #2220 of 2278 Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 AM

I still have the older 6416 with 2 firewire ports. Any of the new boxes have 2 ports or just 1? I record to D-VHS so I need 2 or recording doesn't work.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page