Philadelphia, PA - Verizon - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2281 of 2284 Old 07-02-2015, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxstraww View Post
After blowing almost 3 bills a month for cable, landline and internet I started to unload.
Going to keep my 75/75 internet but for landline I went Ooma and for TV I went local only package. Why the local package and not OTA. By dropping everything but internet my internet went from $60 to $90. If I bundled a double play with locals only TV my bill is $87.00. So I save 3 bucks and get the local package. This keeps me from climbing on the roof and daisy chaining a coax cable for three separate tv's.
I'm near Quakertown. I put a $50 RCA antenna in the attic and get 57 clear stations. My 3 TVs were already connected to the coax cable. I only had to connect the antenna to the cable. My router is in the garage where the fios comes into the house and covers everything pretty well. Definitely worth the small investment. I get by very well with 25/25 FIOS internet. It is perfectly adequate with 2-3 users. You probably could save a few $ by downgrading the speed. I also use Ooma. I use a Channelmaster DVR+ for the tuner and recorder. The guide makes OTA easy enough to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2284 Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Going to work on a set up this week using both OTA and QAM.

In my main living area I have a TV using the FIOS local package with QAM. I just pipe the coax into the TV. Now looking for DVR for that TV.

Upstairs is a different story. Outside I have that Fios junction box with a splitter thing going on. Two of the out cables lead into a basement TV that is no longer there and a 1st floor TV which is the one I'm using QAM on. That is an ok setup for me. Just need the main locals for the wife and the extra channels I may get from OTA just not important.

The other two coax cables from that junction box run up the house to the 2nd floor into a wall jack. I have one coax feeding my router and the other coax is into a splitter going to two TV's for when I had two FIOS TV STB's a week or so back. Now with local only package those two TV's have no QAM tuners so no local channels are being found. Going OTA makes sense for those two older TV's and DVR is not important. Going to buy a leaf type antenna and unplug the non internet coax cable and attach that cable to the leaf antenna using a coupler. My thought is by leaving the internet coax alone I don't mess up my internet and by removing the other coax line and coupling directly to the leaf antenna I can see if everything works like I think it would with the splitter to the two tv's. If I can connect and get a good signal with the leaf and my internet doesn't get goofed up I'll then get an outdoor OTA which I will attach using that existing coax line. Coupler shouldn't be needed as the existing coax would feed the antenna directly. I am taking the existing coax line from the junction box that formerly fed a splitter for two STB's and attaching it directly to the antenna. This is what I am hoping will work once I test it with a more portable antenna.

Last edited by jaxstraww; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
post #2283 of 2284 Old Today, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxstraww View Post
Now with local only package those two TV's have no QAM tuners so no local channels are being found. Going OTA makes sense for those two older TV's and DVR is not important.
If those TVs are too old to have QAM tuners they might not work with digital OTA signals either.

Feel free to experiment with the antenna. Just make sure you don't connect an antenna to any piece of coax carrying the FiOS signal.
post #2284 of 2284 Old Today, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got done testing and ordered an outdoor antenna.

Bought a leaf type antenna this morning for testing. The internet cable is on its own splitter going into the router. On a separate splitter (all splitting being done at the cable junction box outback)On that 2nd splitter I linked the leaf as the "in" and moved all the other cables to that splitter. Went to all three tvs and ran a scan. They all received air channels and all but one major came in clear. I think that will correct itself when I move the antenna to the roof three stories higher. A 35 mile leaf knockoff located ground floor isn't the best location so it can only get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception