Philadelphia, PA - Verizon - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2278 Old 01-22-2007, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I couldn't find a thread for Philly FiOs so I thought I would start one. I am getting installed on Wednesday and I will let you know how it goes.

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2278 Old 01-22-2007, 02:53 PM

What part of Philly are you from? I'm right outside of Jenkintown and have been trying to get FIOS for over a year now. However every time I check I get the generic

"Verizon FiOS Internet service is not available for your home. However we wanted to let you know that you qualify for Verizon High Speed Internet."

Damn you Verizon.
post #3 of 2278 Old 01-22-2007, 05:54 PM

I am in Jersey , Haddonfield. I had the FIOS TV installed a week ago today, have had the internet service for about 2 months prior. The two techs that came out to to the TV install did a great job as well as the woman who did the internet install. Biggest problem was getting the TV date setup changed, I placed the order over the internet which apparently is a no-no...

On Demand has been down today anyone else?
post #4 of 2278 Old 01-22-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckk View Post

What part of Philly are you from? I'm right outside of Jenkintown and have been trying to get FIOS for over a year now. However every time I check I get the generic

"Verizon FiOS Internet service is not available for your home. However we wanted to let you know that you qualify for Verizon High Speed Internet."

Hi Wreckk, I live near you in Abington PA, and I too can not get the Verizon FIOS service yet.

The delay is not Verizon! The delay is that Jenkintown borough and Abington township politicians have not approved the Verizon FIOS franchise agreement in their respective government boards. Both communities were part of the group or consortium of townships in Montgomery County PA that negotiated en-masse with Verizon... many townships in the consortium, have approved the franchise agreement and are enjoying service... For example, Upper Dublin township has all FIOS services available for delivery.

I have spoken to my Abington township Commissioner and they are planning on voting on the Verizon FIOS agreement once they finish re-negotiating the Comcast franchise agreement... So you need to talk to your Jenkintown borough representative and ask when they are going to vote on the Verizon franchise.

Good luck... the frustrating thing is that once it is finally approved in the township... it will take Verizon months to install the Fiber... so its months before service can be provided to those of us who can't wait to switch from Comcast!

Panasonic TH-50PX60u
Panasonic TH-42PX60u
OTA Yagi Antenna
Comcast Digital (Willow Grove System)
Dish FTA and BEV FTA 8PSK HD
post #5 of 2278 Old 01-22-2007, 07:14 PM

Hey IPman,

Thanks for the heads up, I actually live in Rockledge a super small township/borough right outside of Abington. I will contact the borough office tomorrow and see whats going on.

I've been waiting forever for FIOS, hopefully it will get resolved soon.

Thanks again for all the info.
post #6 of 2278 Old 01-23-2007, 10:02 AM

How much does the FIOS cost? I'm in Downingtown, PA and they are just starting to roll it out. Cost for the TV, internet and phone service. Do they offer a package discount?
post #7 of 2278 Old 01-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Guys...

I am in northern NJ (Randolph). They have run the fiber and offer the internet service here. That said, TV is still not available. I have contacted our township to find out more but not a lot of info here.

Since we have the fiber and can get fios internet to the house... any ideas on the TV hold Up?

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPman View Post

Hi Wreckk, I live near you in Abington PA, and I too can not get the Verizon FIOS service yet.

The delay is not Verizon! The delay is that Jenkintown borough and Abington township politicians have not approved the Verizon FIOS franchise agreement in their respective government boards. Both communities were part of the group or consortium of townships in Montgomery County PA that negotiated en-masse with Verizon... many townships in the consortium, have approved the franchise agreement and are enjoying service... For example, Upper Dublin township has all FIOS services available for delivery.

I have spoken to my Abington township Commissioner and they are planning on voting on the Verizon FIOS agreement once they finish re-negotiating the Comcast franchise agreement... So you need to talk to your Jenkintown borough representative and ask when they are going to vote on the Verizon franchise.

Good luck... the frustrating thing is that once it is finally approved in the township... it will take Verizon months to install the Fiber... so its months before service can be provided to those of us who can't wait to switch from Comcast!

post #8 of 2278 Old 01-23-2007, 10:54 AM

Scott,

I was on the phone with Verizon this morning and they said there were no packages available for the three services (phone/web/tv).

Can anyone dispute? - I hope so

BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbrown77 View Post

How much does the FIOS cost? I'm in Downingtown, PA and they are just starting to roll it out. Cost for the TV, internet and phone service. Do they offer a package discount?

post #9 of 2278 Old 01-23-2007, 03:02 PM

awaiting the arrival of this. Anything to ower my price of current comcast bill. Not to mention heard good things about there HD and SD content.
post #10 of 2278 Old 01-23-2007, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Jerry, when you get hooked up, can you summarize their HD offerings in the first post and periodically update that post as things change?
post #11 of 2278 Old 01-24-2007, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

I currently have the FIOS TV service in North Wilmington. Any questions - just ask!
post #12 of 2278 Old 01-24-2007, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
jeepmatt, I would post your impressions of the PQ oif the SD and HD channels vs. your prior providers as well as the functioning of the DVR including the operation of the firewire ports.
post #13 of 2278 Old 01-24-2007, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

I'll repost my former review before the Philly threads were split...

Well, after being a DISH customer since March of 06' - FIOS TV just rolled out in my area, and I was installed on 1/4/07 with an HD-DVR and an HD box - just as I had with DISH (622 & 211). I'm in North Wilmington, DE.

After a few days of missing channels (was a local issue in my area - I was one of the 1st out of my CO - Talleyville) - and working through some OnDemand kinks - I was finally up and running (without issue) by Tuesday the 9th.

Comparisons

Receivers - Naturally, DISH's receivers and interfaces were awesome. FIOS uses the Microsoft TV platform - it's not terrible, but certainly DISH would win in this category. Verizon is working on a complete redesign of the guide and interface - and rumors have put the rollout anytime between March and June.

SD Channels - my local SD channels blow away DISH's offering - standard SD channels are "Cleaner", but not overwhelmingly better than DISH.

HD Channels - the quality looks fantastic - every HD channel comes in great. Especially the HD Nets and SportsNet Philly HD. You can tell FIOS is giving the required bandwidth to these stations. It's also nice to see MHD. I am totally missing Food HD and HGTV HD until FIOS adds them (Apparently will happen in Q1). These were 2 of the most watched channels in my home. I hardly ever watched the VOOM channels, so in all reality I won't miss them.

Other points - FIOS offers "Widgets" - which is local weather and traffic along the bottom of the screen - I have Weatherscan Local again - and of course, the Weather Channel with "real" Local on the 8's. It will also be nice to have OnDemand again - the real kind.

I haven't had service from Comcast in over a year, but i'd say (from being at friend's houses recently) the HD is similar to Comcast's - maybe a bit sharper - and SD is about the same as the DISH comparison - slightly cleaner.

I have my boxes connected via HDMI and 1 by Component - so can't really comment on the Firewire capability (Honestly, I'm not even sure what it does..lol)

Any other ?'s I'll gladly help and try to answer.
post #14 of 2278 Old 01-24-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Firewire enables you to send the signal to a DVHS machine or another harddrive for copying. It send out the data stream for copying.
post #15 of 2278 Old 01-24-2007, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I would suggest that anyone who has had FiOS installed post there impressions here as well. Thanks Jeepmatt.
post #16 of 2278 Old 01-24-2007, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

I also forgot to comment-

On Demand is pretty good - still no HD content (also due by Summer '07) - but the picture quality is excellent.

All your standard free shows, subscription (HBO, etc.) and PPV movies are there.

The cool thing (at least to me) is that with FIOS TV, the OnDemand is transmitted over the IP / data side of things. The Actiontec router is what assigns each of your STB's an address - and is how it also downloads updates, the widgets info, and the programming guide.

They have some work to do on adding more HD stations (some folks are upset b/c they promised more by the end of 2006 - and are now saying Q1 2007) - and even some SD ones - but it's a good deal right now.

For the package I have - I get the Premier Tier, Sports, Movies, HBO/Cinemax and my two STB's (1 HD-DVR, 1 HD) all for $107.95 / month.

That's about $10 less than DISH, and about $33 less than Comcast.
post #17 of 2278 Old 01-24-2007, 07:52 AM

Matt,

Can you tell us about your home theater rig (projection, plasma, surround level 6.1/7.1). Was it calibrated? Just curious.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt View Post

I also forgot to comment-

On Demand is pretty good - still no HD content (also due by Summer '07) - but the picture quality is excellent.

All your standard free shows, subscription (HBO, etc.) and PPV movies are there.

The cool thing (at least to me) is that with FIOS TV, the OnDemand is transmitted over the IP / data side of things. The Actiontec router is what assigns each of your STB's an address - and is how it also downloads updates, the widgets info, and the programming guide.

They have some work to do on adding more HD stations (some folks are upset b/c they promised more by the end of 2006 - and are now saying Q1 2007) - and even some SD ones - but it's a good deal right now.

For the package I have - I get the Premier Tier, Sports, Movies, HBO/Cinemax and my two STB's (1 HD-DVR, 1 HD) all for $107.95 / month.

That's about $10 less than DISH, and about $33 less than Comcast.

post #18 of 2278 Old 01-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Brig-

I have the HD-DVR connected via HDMI to my Philips 50" Plasma. I also have a Sony Surround Sound tuner / amplifier system and a CD/DVR player.

I have not had the set calibrated (at least by a professional).
post #19 of 2278 Old 01-24-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, what was your install experience? I'm jealous. You live close to me but not close enough. No FIOS here yet.

I'd really be interested to know of local experience with FIOS from those switching from Comcast to FIOS. Frankly my concerns are 1) a box for each TV (I have 4), 2) the actual # of HD channels available today vs. Comcast, 3) on demand content, & 4) their (Verizon's) learning curve.

The plusses I see (today); 1) faster internet and 2) a networked DVR ( a very big plus for me).

I'm sure in time a FIOS offering will exceed cable but are we even equal yet?

Just offering these comments for a little dialog.

Carl Jones
post #20 of 2278 Old 01-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Install was okay. My technician was brand new to TV (as most of them are). I was actually his first "alone" install.

He was on the phone with his buddy (who stopped by a few times) going over certain things.

While he was stringing the new coax, I actually went and installed the Actiontec router - as I was previously using the DLink that was given to me during my FIOS data install. Personally, I really like the router.

My first DVR box was dead - and it took him about 2 hours to figure that out. He activated a 2nd one - and BAMM - worked. I did have those missing channel issues (literally half my stations were out)-- that really stumped all the techs. At one point i Had three VZ vans outside my house. Lol. It took them 3 days to find out there was "dirty fiber" at the CO.

Carl-
Your issues -

1) The boxes - yes, really you do need one for each TV (if you want more than local broadcast channels) - but for standard def boxes only being $5/mo, it isn't that bad when comparing the overall total cost to Comcast. I know alot of folks are griping about this, but in the grand scheme of things, look at what you're getting for that $5.

2) # of HD channels - right now, at least in the Wilmington area, the HD channel offering is VERY similar to Comcast - hence my wanting VZ to get on the ball. Right now, it's almost a dead heat. FIOS gives HD Net and HD Net Movies, The Movie Channel HD and Wealth TV. Comcast had inHD and the Vs/Golf Channel HD.

FIOS also gives two local PBS HD stations. Rumors have it they're adding more National HD's soon (Food, HGTV, A&E, etc) but when that happens is a mystery.

3) On Demand - i'll say it's not as expansive as Comcast's - but I didn't expect it to be based on Comcast's head start. There aren't any HD On Demand selections yet - but are said to be on the way. The HBO's, etc. are identical. FIOS does not have Howard Stern (if you care).

4) The learning curve is steep right now. My tech even said how different the "TV" world is to them - and every job they do is like a step further in the right direction.

Personally, I can't wait for the new guide interface that is due out by Summer at the latest. The screen shots available on VZ's website are really great looking.
post #21 of 2278 Old 01-24-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The movie channel HD? Didn't know about that one. What channel is it on? THe only channel I want on FiOS is INHD but if INHD loses the rights the HD games this year in light of the reported MLB-Directv deal then that won't even bother me.
post #22 of 2278 Old 01-24-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Is the firewire output 5C protected? Hope not.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #23 of 2278 Old 01-24-2007, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

FCC regs prohibit this for OTA channels. Mark Cuban also agrees that HDNet and HDNet Movies should be in the clear also. I often times have trouble with Discovery and INHD on Comcast. It takes awhile but I can usually copy these onto DVHS.
post #24 of 2278 Old 01-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

TMC Hd is on Channel 854
post #25 of 2278 Old 01-25-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I had my installation done on Wednesday and everything went very smoothly. My house has 5
outlets upstairs and 2 downstairs. The entire job took 4 hours. The 2 installers were very professional.
The picture is superb. In the last year I have had Directv, Comcast, and now Verizon and the picture (standard and HD) is the best I have every seen. My signal to my Tivo S3 is 100%! It is like I have new TV's.
post #26 of 2278 Old 01-25-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigont View Post

Guys...

I am in northern NJ (Randolph). They have run the fiber and offer the internet service here. That said, TV is still not available. I have contacted our township to find out more but not a lot of info here.

Since we have the fiber and can get fios internet to the house... any ideas on the TV hold Up?

Brian

Brian,

I am not sure why you are not getting video service offered, if the Internet is provided via fiber... Are you sure that the Internet is not Verizon DSL which is delivered on old copper pairs and not via fiber/cable?

Panasonic TH-50PX60u
Panasonic TH-42PX60u
OTA Yagi Antenna
post #27 of 2278 Old 01-25-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckk View Post

Hey IPman,

Thanks for the heads up, I actually live in Rockledge a super small township/borough right outside of Abington. I will contact the borough office tomorrow and see whats going on.

I've been waiting forever for FIOS, hopefully it will get resolved soon.

Thanks again for all the info.

You are welcome... Please let us know on this thread when your borough gets the FIOS service!

Panasonic TH-50PX60u
Panasonic TH-42PX60u
OTA Yagi Antenna
post #28 of 2278 Old 01-26-2007, 07:33 AM

IP,

They installed the fiber here a few months ago and a few neighbors switched broadband cable from Cablevision to FIOS. Yes I know it is fios because the installs are about 1.5 days of time while they rewire the homes.

The reason we do not have TV yet is because the Sucasunna NJ facility has not been provisioned for TV yet (whatever that means).

On another note... Did I hear that INHD is part of the FIOS package? The one thing I will be missing from Cablevision is this channel. Three Sheets, Beer Guys, and After Hours with Daniel are some of my favorite shows on TV... Beer:Beer:Food, add a little football, martial arts, and Jackass, and life is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPman View Post

Brian,

I am not sure why you are not getting video service offered, if the Internet is provided via fiber... Are you sure that the Internet is not Verizon DSL which is delivered on old copper pairs and not via fiber/cable?

post #29 of 2278 Old 01-26-2007, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

IP,
I've had Verizon FiOS internet service for over a year, and even though my Township has signed a franchise agreement for TV with Verizon, we are not offered the service yet. Anyone interested in the internet service should definitely sign up for it. It's bulletproof, incredibly fast, and it hasn't been "down" for any period since it's been installed.
post #30 of 2278 Old 01-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Brigo-

No, INHD is not in the lineup at this time.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page