Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I saw three young kids carrying a new 20" TV in to their apartment yesterday afternoon....I kinda wondered if it was DTV-Ready or not. Couldn't read the small print on the box, either, from across the lawn.

My boss and I were just talking.....if anyone didn't know, all TV stations are currently in "sweeps" (ratings period), as evidenced by the rash of "big" stories on the news. Our big "expose" for tonight is, "How much Caffeine is REALLY in your coffee?".

We thought, "All broadcasters are sitting on top of the biggest consumer-interest story in history, and we can't get the newsrooms of America interested in even mentioning it!" What would your local Consumer Reporter, or Investigative Team, say if, perhaps, someone said their new lawnmower was designed to quit working in 105 weeks? Or, their new microwave oven had a "timer" on it's tube, set to stop working in two more years? Or, their new car would require an engine swapout in early 2009?

They would be all over it. "60 Minutes". "Dateline NBC". "Geraldo". "News46 I-Team". "America's Most P.O.'ed". They'd all be hype'ing the heck out of it. But, it's not sexy, and it's too complicated to explain to J6P. Guess it's just "boring"...

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Baffles my mind too Ken. My guess is that at some point in time news crews will cover it and when reality sets in as to just what this is going to mean to the average homeowner the SWHTF.

Geof
post #273 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

We thought, "All broadcasters are sitting on top of the biggest consumer-interest story in history, and we can't get the newsrooms of America interested in even mentioning it!" What would your local Consumer Reporter, or Investigative Team, say if, perhaps, someone said their new lawnmower was designed to quit working in 105 weeks? Or, their new microwave oven had a "timer" on it's tube, set to stop working in two more years? Or, their new car would require an engine swapout in early 2009?

That is a little extreme, isn't it? With the majority of people getting their broadcasts from 3rd parties(cable & sat), they won't lose anything. And, their 1990 TV's will still work just fine. Now, if these providers were also going to require an ATSC receiver in 741 days, that would be something. But they aren't.

And, I really don't buy the idea that the low income people will be hurt that much. From what I've seen, many of these people would spend money on cable & sat and a big TV, before they would spend money on food! They have their priorities!

And, HD must not be that big of a deal, the podunk cableco up here, doesn't offer even 1 HD channel!

Let'um sue! I wouldn't be surprised to see LCG backing them!
....jc

LCG Meeting: Let's see guys, $5,000,000 for another year at 6%...Yea, the delay is ok with me...

Woodland Park/Divide
38° 57' 49"N 105° 05' 33"W - 8,900'

Enercept SIP Provider
post #274 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 04:07 PM

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_5176383

Well at least we now know what PBS has been working on, since providing a quality HD line-up was obviously not a priority.

Gotta love that our PBS station has been looking for ways to divide its ATSC spectrum and cash in on the syndication opportunity.

This sucks.
post #275 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXIX View Post

This sucks.

Wonder if they'd be willing to give my pledge back. First it was the Create channel, now this.

My cable provider is Netflix
post #276 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXIX View Post

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_5176383

Well at least we now know what PBS has been working on, since providing a quality HD line-up was obviously not a priority.

Gotta love that our PBS station has been looking for ways to divide its ATSC spectrum and cash in on the syndication opportunity.

This sucks.

Now, let me get this straight. This is an 'unusual public-private partnership', that's using at least some of our tax money for a foreign language TV station. Uh, huh. And, that all citizens of this country must be able to speak an acceptable level of English?

So who exactly is benefiting from this expenditure of tax dollars? Uh, huh.

Sigh...

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #277 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyPreWired View Post

So who exactly is benefiting from this expenditure of tax dollars?

The employees of PBS stations, who get a new income stream. Viewers or taxpayers, not so much.

post #278 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxothuk View Post

The employees of PBS stations, who get a new income stream. Viewers or taxpayers, not so much.

The Spanish-speaking taxpayers benefit
post #279 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 05:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

I wonder if the watered down KRMA HD will still be coming from the RP in a few years. That way they can save some more money. No point in going to Lookout or Mt. Morrison if you aren't going to provide HD anyway. I wonder when their next pledge drive starts?? Can't wait to send them some more money!

John M
post #280 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is a little extreme, isn't it? With the majority of people getting their broadcasts from 3rd parties(cable & sat), they won't lose anything ...

Tell that to the people out here in Iowa who almost lost the Super Bowl because Sinclair and Mediacom couldn't play nice.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #281 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 07:19 PM

See article in the CanyonCourier
There is also a short article on the Jeffco Web site.

Leonard
post #282 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

Tell that to the people out here in Iowa who almost lost the Super Bowl because Sinclair and Mediacom couldn't play nice.

I didn't hear about that, but I guess that the keyword is almost. Corporations have gotten way too powerful, and a little money sprinkled around and the purchase of a few senators gets them far. Maybe, 'We The People' will get smart enough to end that crap. Our founding fathers thought that the states could 'manage' them(the corporations). It didn't work out that way. BTW, isn't there a Must Carry for cable?

But, you aren't likely to get much sympathy here in Colorado. Many people missed the Donky(Bronco) game on Thanksgiving due to the NFL Network, and their rise to power. They even broadcast the Senior Bowl(a college game), and many people also missed it.

'Free' is something that doesn't happen much anymore. If ya want something here(USA) you have to pay for it.
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #283 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawood View Post

See article in the CanyonCourier
There is also a short article on the Jeffco Web site.

Wow. These people are way out there. I like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Matthai View Post

...president of CARE, told the board during public testimony that the federal legislation has big enough holes in it to drive a truck through it, and that the proposed settlement was a very one-sided agreement in favor of the developers.

Drive on dude, waste more money. Drive on.

And this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Mayor Chuck Baroch View Post

...said high-tech companies being courted to the area by the Jefferson Economic Council might think twice about moving to the county if the tower site becomes overloaded with broadcast signals by multiple towers in the future.

We have lost businesses in the Golden area because they couldn't stand the radiation levels on their equipment, he said. If the radiation now increases, we will drive those people away.

I wonder if everyone stands up a salutes at the end of the meetings.
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #284 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 08:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Sounds like the meeting was even more hysterical than Ernie let on. Talk about "Denial"!

John M
post #285 of 8478 Old 02-07-2007, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Mayor Chuck Baroch View Post

We have lost businesses in the Golden area because they couldn't stand the radiation levels on their equipment, he said. If the radiation now increases, we will drive those people away.

Rereading this, I thought hmmmm. How can you 'drive people away', that have already been lost?

Food for thought(or insects).
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #286 of 8478 Old 02-08-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko View Post

...Obviously the LCG is no longer required to donate their old properties to Jeffco...

Wouldn't it be fitting for LGC to offer to sell the property to Jeffco for the exact sum of their legal costs in fighting this mess?

Dave P.
post #287 of 8478 Old 02-08-2007, 07:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Between the tower battle, the internal fighting and the snow, JeffCo is broke.

Related: Did you read in the RMN today the new craziness going on with the Commissioners?

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...337159,00.html
post #288 of 8478 Old 02-08-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

WOW!
Jim "fill in the blank"* Congrove

*Some possibilities:

"Paranoid-Schizophrenic"
"Delusional"
"Napolean"
"Screwed legally big-time"

Where exactly does this guy think he works, HP? The White House?
post #289 of 8478 Old 02-08-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Congrove must be a real "class act"!

John M
post #290 of 8478 Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

It truly was a Circus there the other day. They all looked like Clowns. Between the 'Mob' mentality of the audience to the Commish's whispering to each other, to deciding on just throwing out the new deal and hurriedly coming up with the "Let's just go back to the old LCGII deal and be done with it", was completely unorganized. I do feel they were scared of the Mob of NIMBY's assembled. I was in the back of the room right next to the security guard. I think that was a wise move to have him there. This could have gotten real ugly, if they just accepted the LCG offer.

Oh another 'moment' at the hearing was when a NIMBY asked "where this agreement came from" and I think either a Commish or the lawyer said, "We've been in private negociations with LCG". The house just exploded.
post #291 of 8478 Old 02-08-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, isn't there a Must Carry for cable?

Not so much anymore.

Since the 1992 cable act went into effect, stations have been allowed to choose between "must carry" or "retransmission consent." The latter allows stations to negotiate carriage terms with cable companies, similar to the way cable companies have to negotiate with cable/sat.-only networks. At the time, broadcasters envisioned getting paid for their signals in much the same way TNT, CNN, etc. get paid for their programming, but the cable industry was able to resist and broadcasters settled for deals which included some form of non-cash compensation.

That is changing. The sat companies, who need local stations in order to be taken seriously as a competitor to cable, ARE willing to pay for local stations' signals, and partly as a result the broadcasters are showing more of a willingness to ask for cash from cable operators as well. The Sinclair stations, including our CBS affiliate, were off Mediacom completely for nearly a month before a deal was reached. (The prevailing opinion on these boards is that Mediacom caved.)

It's not limited to Sinclair, either. CBS, which if I'm not mistaken owns KCNC, is expected to ask for cash when their deals come up. Hearst-Argyle Television pulled their HD signals from Cox Cable in late September and is still withholding them last I checked. And I understand there are others.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #292 of 8478 Old 02-08-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

It's not limited to Sinclair, either. CBS, which if I'm not mistaken owns KCNC, is expected to ask for cash when their deals come up. Hearst-Argyle Television pulled their HD signals from Cox Cable in late September and is still withholding them last I checked. And I understand there are others.

Yea, when I was back in Omaroma(Omaha) during Thanksgiving, the ABC affiliate - KETV - was denying their HD signal to Omaha's Cox cable. It sounded like, gasp, that they wanted money for it, and Cox wouldn't pay. All of the other locals were on clear QAM.

Since I didn't have time to mess with installing an antenna, I was only able to watch ABC's football games in wonderful SD.
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #293 of 8478 Old 02-08-2007, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

post #294 of 8478 Old 02-08-2007, 06:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

New story today in the Mile Hi News.

http://goldentranscript.com/1editori...-token.subpub=

Quote:

Steve Howards, also a member of the CARE steering committee, said his primary concern is radiation.

Martha Allbright agreed.

Yeup, it's all that "'nucular' radiation" that is going to kill everyone living on Lookout. From the sounds of it I would expect Steve and Martha to be the first people to put their homes up for sale....for their own safety of course.

John M
post #295 of 8478 Old 02-08-2007, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

New story today in the Mile Hi News.

http://goldentranscript.com/1editori...-token.subpub=

Loved the line:
"Susan Marcus publicly gave a contribution of the requested $750 toward the tower fight."

Perhaps she would like to contribute to the "Save the Lookout Mountain Jackalope" fund.
post #296 of 8478 Old 02-08-2007, 11:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post

Loved the line:
"Susan Marcus publicly gave a contribution of the requested $750 toward the tower fight."

Another billable hour for Deb. Yeah!

John M
post #297 of 8478 Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 PM

Hi,

Im new to this thread but have a quick question...I am about to buy an HDTV and I live 1/2 block South of Sloans Lake....I wanted to get an indoor HD antenna and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of which one to buy and knew if an indoor antenna would even work in that area........

Thanks for any advice you have to offer....

huckleberry

PS - Anyone have experience with this Philips TV - 32PF7421D/37??
post #298 of 8478 Old 02-09-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry182 View Post

Hi,

Im new to this thread but have a quick question...I am about to buy an HDTV and I live 1/2 block South of Sloans Lake....I wanted to get an indoor HD antenna and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of which one to buy and knew if an indoor antenna would even work in that area........

Thanks for any advice you have to offer....

huckleberry

PS - Anyone have experience with this Philips TV - 32PF7421D/37??

I would suggest the Zenith Silver Sensor (sometimes sold under the Gemini Brand) which I believe has a model number of ZHDTV1. It looks like a small airplane and can be found online for around $25. http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PHDTV1...&s=electronics
Alternatively, you can just pick up a small indoor antenna from Radio Shack - with the advantage that you can take it back if it doesn't work for you.

From you location you may end up having to fiddle with the orientation, since some of the DTV stations are east of you (Republic Plaza building in Denver) while others are west of you (Lookout Mountain in Golden).

post #299 of 8478 Old 02-09-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Following the Mile Hi News Article View Post

This public meeting was nothing more than a silly, dog-and-pony show. Everyone except the naive public, knows JeffCo has no control anymore over the TV tower. None. President Bush's recent law completely over-rides JeffCo and Golden's authority in this matter. Even the Jeffco lawyers admitted the county has exhaustively researched their legal options to overturn this law, and they have no grounds. So, this entire meeting was a complete waste of time.

TV fan, Golden

OK, who (Ernie) is (Ernie) the (Ernie) culprit? I agree BTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko View Post

From the sounds of it I would expect Steve and Martha to be the first people to put their homes up for sale....for their own safety of course.

I already formally offered each of the homeowners $10K for their irradiated homes. No takers yet. Offer still open.
post #300 of 8478 Old 02-09-2007, 07:13 PM

Anybody else notice how bad the lip sync was on Grey's Anatomy? It was annoying the wife so bad, she switched over to analog.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page