post #451 of 8477 Old 02-26-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwsica View Post

3) Do I need to mount outside on a roof or can I mount it in my attic or inside my garage rafters? In other words, I'm a little concerned how a big honkin' antenna will look on my roof. Again, the HDX1000 looks a little more attractive.

4) Related to number 3, will I need to adjust the pointing of the antenna after it's installed or can one pointing be good for the forseeable future (i.e. until the new Lookout antenna(s))?

My recommendation would be the Winegard PR-4400. Not overly directional as a yagi so pointing it West from your area (try 1/2 way between RP and Lookout Mtn, that's what I do) should get both RP and Lookout stations. Also, it is not a "big-honkin" antenna, yet has impressive specs and I am totally happy with the performance of mine. I always recommend rooftop (or even chimney side) mounting for best results. Shooting through layers of roofing material will attenuate the signal somewhat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 8477 Old 02-26-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

The JVC RS1 D-ILA. Native 1080p 15,000:1 contrast.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL101681

I saw a demo of that projector the other day and was very impressed. It is the first projector that uses LCD or LCOS that has a black level that competes with DLP projectors.

You will have to let us know what you think of it over time.

Kurt

"Here's to alcohol, the cause of,and solution to,all life's problems." - Homer Simpson
post #453 of 8477 Old 02-26-2007, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys,
I am in Johnstown and recently switched to E*. When the new tower is complete would it be reasonable for me to pick up all the stations with a good outdoor antenna. I am able to pick up CBS out of Cheyenne and FOX (Fort Collins) via a cheap Walmart (Philips) outdoor antenna, but that is about it. I am on a hill and have a pretty clear line of site to the mountains. Any input much appreciated!
Chris
post #454 of 8477 Old 02-26-2007, 01:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsfan1980 View Post

Hey guys,
I am in Johnstown and recently switched to E*. When the new tower is complete would it be reasonable for me to pick up all the stations with a good outdoor antenna.

Should be no problem, and possibly with just an indoor antenna. The coverage from Lookout ranges from south of Cheyenne to just north of CO Springs.

--------------

Kurt,

Were did you see a demo? I ordered it without seeing it on the huge tradeshow discussions and recommendations.
post #455 of 8477 Old 02-26-2007, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Ernie,
That's the projector I have my eye on for the HT. I'd like to know what you think of it when you get it all setup. I'm sure it's going to be a winner -- you lucky dog!

Geof
post #456 of 8477 Old 02-26-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Were did you see a demo? I ordered it without seeing it on the huge tradeshow discussions and recommendations.

I saw it at a demo at one of the local AV distributers. The JVC reps were there and they only had it hooked up to a HD-DVD player but I was very impressed.

Kurt

"Here's to alcohol, the cause of,and solution to,all life's problems." - Homer Simpson
post #457 of 8477 Old 02-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I've been extremely happy with my older Marantz S2 for about 4 years (many of you guys have seen it in action). Business has been good (knocks on wood) so, it's time for a new toy.

Luckily for you -- and sometimes for me -- these toys are deductible.

Mike Rife

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

post #458 of 8477 Old 02-27-2007, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I ordered this little puppy last week, and it arrived this afternoon. It's a 20" HD Lcd TV, and the price was good(PM me for price). I've only had a few hours of 'playtime', but so far I'm impressed. When I scanned for digital(using Lookout antenna) I picked up KDVR(It's back!) and Telefura HD which I've never picked up before(Football season is over, so I haven't been trying ). So, it looks like the ATSC tuner is decent. It also has QAM for the cableites out there, but the rinky dink cableco up here doesn't have HD, so cable is not an option for me(except for internet access).

The picture is very good and the sound is decent. The only downside that I've found so far is the inability to switch between VHF/UHF & cable w/o scanning(I have a strange hybrid system ). Plenty of connection possibilities including HDMI, Component, Composite, RGB, S-Video and digital audio out.

I'm using this set for my office, and it would also work fairly well in a bedroom. But, so far I can recommend this set.
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide
38° 57' 49"N 105° 05' 33"W - 8,900'

Enercept SIP Provider
post #459 of 8477 Old 02-28-2007, 03:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

It looks like our buddy Jim Congrove is getting closer and closer to being indicted for the snooping mess. Think he'll ask Deb to represent him at trial?

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...383849,00.html
post #460 of 8477 Old 02-28-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:

It looks like our buddy Jim Congrove is getting closer and closer to being indicted for the snooping mess. Think he'll ask Deb to represent him at trial?

"Fill in the blank" no!
post #461 of 8477 Old 02-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've been extremely happy with my older Marantz S2 for about 4 years (many of you guys have seen it in action). Business has been good (knocks on wood) so, it's time for a new toy.

Yes I remember Ernie, I think I got my Sim2 about the same time you got your Marantz. My how time flies.
I am also getting the RS1, just awaiting the shipping notification from AVS. Hopefully it will be Friday or Monday and I should have it in my hands by the end of next week. This unit has some impressive specs for the price. Should be fun.

Keith S.
post #462 of 8477 Old 02-28-2007, 07:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

I got a call from a guy named David, he's in our area and he bought two RS1's!! He's heard about our thread, but doesn't post here (yet). Nice guy, we chatted about video production and HT stuff. He should get his pair next week. (Not exactly sure, but I think he's gonna' stack 'em for more output) Can't wait to see that!
post #463 of 8477 Old 03-01-2007, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

When I fired up my new 20" LCD, I couldn't find KGWN. This was my most powerful and reliable signal. So, I fired off an email to them. Their response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGWM Engineering... View Post

We apologize for the loss of our digital signal. We are in the process of increasing our output power on channel 30. This has involved reinforcing our tower, changing out the guy wires, and replacing the transmission line and antenna. As you probably know, the weather has hindered this process considerably. To do this we had to remove the transmission line and antenna before we could install the new antenna. This involves increasing our output power from 40,000 watts to over 460,000 watts. This should be done tomorrow afternoon and be back on the air shortly after that barring any major problems.

Again, we apologize for this inconvenience and we do appreciate your comments and concerns. We hope that this installation will make us more accessible to the viewers like you. Again, thank you for watching KGWN-TV and thank you for your comments.

Wow, 11.5 times the power! Cool! However, with my luck, even with more power, I'll probably lose their signal.

I'll remain positive and check tomorrow! Also, from the tests that I've done so far, the tuner in my 20" Sharp is superior to either of my older receivers! However, KUSA remains elusive, I've never been able to receive it here!
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #464 of 8477 Old 03-01-2007, 04:40 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyPreWired View Post

When I fired up my new 20" LCD, I couldn't find KGWN. This was my most powerful and reliable signal. So, I fired off an email to them. Their response:

Wow, 11.5 times the power! Cool! However, with my luck, even with more power, I'll probably lose their signal.

I'll remain positive and check tomorrow! Also, from the tests that I've done so far, the tuner in my 20" Sharp is superior to either of my older receivers! However, KUSA remains elusive, I've never been able to receive it here!
....jc

Is this KGWN (Chyenne Channel 5) or KWGN (Denver Channel 2)? I'm currently receiving KWGN at 10, out of 10, bars. Signal is steady. If you can receive KGWN in Woodland Park that would be amazing.
post #465 of 8477 Old 03-01-2007, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post

Is this KGWN (Chyenne Channel 5) or KWGN (Denver Channel 2)? I'm currently receiving KWGN at 10, out of 10, bars. Signal is steady. If you can receive KGWN in Woodland Park that would be amazing.

It's KGWN, and it's 147 miles away. Yup, amazing.

I'm sure that it's my superior antenna system.

But I am at 8,900' with a clear shot past Devils Head which is 20.5 miles out. One of my friends has always received their analog signal. So, it's not rare up here. But, I am a little nervous about their upgrade. 11.5 times more power doesn't mean that something won't change, and I lose it.

KWGN is a complete no show at my location. My best guess is that their radiation pattern doesn't cover much due South.
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #466 of 8477 Old 03-02-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

TPW,

Thanks for the update on KGWN. I lost their signal a couple of days ago and thought it was probably weather related. I do receive their analog signal also - it has a little "snow" but it very watchable.
post #467 of 8477 Old 03-02-2007, 12:20 PM

These are not photos of Squaw Mountain in the last blizzard, but could be. They're of a repeater site in Idaho somewhere. If sCARE had gottern their way, we could be like this too.

http://www.hamsexy.com/cms/?p=714

-Glen
post #468 of 8477 Old 03-02-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

For grins I checked to see if KGWN was back OTA. Yup, 5.1 & 5.2 are alive and well. On my 20" Sharp(using my 'Republic Antenna'), it's coming in at 80%, which is the same as 15.1 & 20.1. 4.1, 6.1 & 7.1(when it's viewable), come in at 70%.

When I switch to my 'Lookout Antenna', KGWN is coming in at 90%, which retains it's status as my most powerful signal. KDVR comes in at 70% and KDBI pegs at 80%.

I also for a few moments picked up KWHD. Now it remapped to 53.1 instead of 46.1.
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #469 of 8477 Old 03-03-2007, 06:17 AM

I contacted a home theater company about possibly installing an antenna for me and they recommended the following antenna:

Terk Off-Air HDTV Antenna - Grey
Model: HDTV-S
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1091101853739

they said they could sell this to me for $120 with installation extra. I know there was some mention about Terk not being so great. What about this antenna, anyone have an opinion on this particular unit?

Thanks,
David
post #470 of 8477 Old 03-03-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:

I contacted a home theater company about possibly installing an antenna for me and they recommended the following antenna:

they said they could sell this to me for $120 with installation extra. I know there was some mention about Terk not being so great. What about this antenna, anyone have an opinion on this particular unit?

Thanks,
David

One, we need to know your general location.

Second, Terk antennas are not the best. I had one in the past but not the model you have listed. You might look at the Lacrosse from Antenna's Direct if you want the pizza box look. I'm in Centennial and I have a DB2 from Antennas Direct mounted outside and am able to receive all the local channels. A page or two back in this thread others are recommending a Channel Master etc. Much depends on your location.
post #471 of 8477 Old 03-03-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Second, Terk antennas are not the best. I had one in the past but not the model you have listed. You might look at the Lacrosse from Antenna's Direct if you want the pizza box look. I'm in Centennial and I have a DB2 from Antennas Direct mounted outside and am able to receive all the local channels. A page or two back in this thread others are recommending a Channel Master etc. Much depends on your location.

I posted a page back about antennas recently. I live in east Denver (Stapleton). I thought it was interesting that this Terk also offers VHF as well as UHF reception which I'm not sure the others mentioned offer?

Thanks,
David
post #472 of 8477 Old 03-03-2007, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that's a rebadged Square Shooter , which is pretty highly regarded in some circles. I'm just not sure how well it will work here in our area with low-power signals coming from one direction and high-power coming from another (at least for the next year or two).

Maybe someone else can comment on the pros/cons of this type of antenna for the Denver area.
post #473 of 8477 Old 03-03-2007, 10:06 AM

On a related note, when I switch over to OTA and ditch Comcast I'll need to pick up a DTV/HDTV tuner to hook up to my set which only has component input. I'd also like HDMI for future use. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
David
post #474 of 8477 Old 03-03-2007, 10:19 PM

I was a little surprised that "Cider House Rules" the MyNetwork Movie tonight was in HD on KTVD. Now that MyNetwork has started showing movies, has this happened before and I just was not aware of it? Regardless, it was a nice treat tonight at least, even if it was an anomaly.
post #475 of 8477 Old 03-04-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:

I checked out the Antennas Direct site and interestingly if you download their antennaRecommendations.pdf file it says for Denver they recommend the DB4 because they say the wider beam width has proven successful in receiving broadcast from both Lookout and RP. I wonder if that's overkill since you have the DB2 working. I didn't realize I'd get so many different answers to the question of best antenna. I thought there would be a general consensus regarding what's the top tier.
post #476 of 8477 Old 03-04-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

It's not that complicated. Basically, there's a couple of elements to your decision for an antenna. Are you; near/far and/or need wide/tight coverage. The farther you are, then the longer or bigger antenna antenna will be required to get a strong signal that will lock. And, are you in a location that requires a wider or narrower shot to the RP/Lookout

Distance and wider good choices are: CM4228 or Antennas Direct DB8
Closer the wider: CM3021 or Antennas Direct DB4

Longer & Tighter: CM3679 or CM3023 or Antennas Direct 91XG

Now, not to start any flamewars, sure there are many more antenna that could work, Especially some of the Rat shack models. They might a good place to start, as you can return them if they don't work. The models mentioned above are good brands and many of us here in Denver have and use them to great results. It seems like just about everybody that tried some of the store-recommended Terks, hated them and switched. (I raise my hand as I tried one back before I was on the forum. It didn't work until I switched to a Channelmaster, now it's great with no issues)

Bottom line: with low-power like we have, bigger is better!
post #477 of 8477 Old 03-04-2007, 03:39 PM

The DB2 works for me in that Lookout Mtn & Downtown are in the same general direction and is mounted outside. I have the unit mounted with a J post at eve level of the roof. Since it is small and has a wire grid back the unit blends into the roof. IMO this is much more aesthetic than other outdoor antennas. No complaints from the neighbors.

Later I bought an installed a DB4 mounted in the attic. It works well there. I bought it to experiment with (didn't expect it to work as well as it does since the TV stations are at such low power) and have it tied into a PC. Since it was to be placed in the attic I felt I needed a larger antenna than the DB2. (Note: due to it's size I don't think it would look as good as the DB2 when mounted outdoors.)

That's my experience. Unfortunately since the Denver stations are at low power and you are in a different location it may not be your experience. What ever you buy just make sure you can return it if it doesn't work out. Hopefully antenna selection will become a lot easier when the new tower is finished.
post #478 of 8477 Old 03-05-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:

...near/far and/or need wide/tight coverage. The farther you are, then the longer or bigger antenna antenna will be required to get a strong signal that will lock. And, are you in a location that requires a wider or narrower shot to the RP/Lookout

Distance and wider good choices are: CM4228 or Antennas Direct DB8
Closer the wider: CM3021 or Antennas Direct DB4

Longer & Tighter: CM3679 or CM3023 or Antennas Direct 91XG

Bottom line: with low-power like we have, bigger is better!

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I really appreciate the help. At the risk of sounding completely useless and ignorant, I'm really not sure if I need distant and wide, close and wide, distant and tight, distant and wide, etc. My initial guess would be that I'm close and wide but that could be completely wrong. Given that I'm in (North)East Denver, Stapleton, (maybe ~10 miles northeast of downtown?) can you distill this even further and guesstimate (in your opinion), which category I'm in (i.e. of the three you mention above)?
post #479 of 8477 Old 03-05-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

What can you see from your home to west? It sounds like should see both Lookout Mountain (The blinking red towers and the Republic Plaza building (the tallest building downtown - Silver square bldg. Not the cash-register or Qwest buildings) I bet both Lookout and RP are both west or slightly southwest of your location. Right? Then, they both are in a very tight spacing. That would make the long Yagi-type antennas the better choice.

Why not just go to Radio Shack and pickup a Yagi antenna and try it on the ground? You might just get all the signals fine with that. I think you might have some altitude from that location to get a good shot.
post #480 of 8477 Old 03-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On a related note, when I switch over to OTA and ditch Comcast I'll need to pick up a DTV/HDTV tuner to hook up to my set which only has component input. I'd also like HDMI for future use. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
David

I've had very good results with the Samsung DTB-H260F tuner. It's one model that, at least for me, handles very well the gnarly OTA situation we have here.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page