Denver, CO - OTA - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, Ernie, are you going to do a documentary on the building of the Denver Tower and etc.? Is LCG gonna have a shooter document the process? If nothing else, it would be a fun project!

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrider View Post

I would recommend one of the forum sponsors for that - Blue Jeans Cable They are a little more expensive than Monoprice but IMHO for a component cable quality is more important than the absolute lowest price.

I'll second the recommendation for Blue Jeans Cable. They use known manufacturers for their cable and connectors and do a great job assembling the cable. They can make pretty much any cable you need too. I only used them for a short component BNC to RCA cable, but it works great and is much higher quality than any of the much more expensive cables sold at mass market retailers.
post #543 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

The vote...

3-0.

In favour!!!

McCasky voted for - based on the voluminous testimony which contained no reasonable argument to deny the proposal.
Hartman voted for - based on the federal jurisdiction as made clear in the federal law passed in December. She wasn't happy to be voting for, but based on the law, it's the way she had to.
(fill in the blank) Congrove voted for - based on all the reasons stated by the other two commissioners. He hopes that this vote doesn't impact the impending 10th Amendment legal challenge to the proposal.

Leonard and I sat right behind Deb - the whole process was less than half an hour (most of which was spent by the clerk reading the 3-page article into record) but she managed to fill an entire page with notes. Who knows what she's planning - pretty sure conceding defeat isn't in her playbook, though

You are indeed a wise man! - TotallyPreWired
post #544 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_mal View Post

The vote...

3-0.

In favour!!!

McCasky voted for - based on the voluminous testimony which contained no reasonable argument to deny the proposal.
Hartman voted for - based on the federal jurisdiction as made clear in the federal law passed in December. She wasn't happy to be voting for, but based on the law, it's the way she had to.
(fill in the blank) Congrove voted for - based on all the reasons stated by the other two commissioners. He hopes that this vote doesn't impact the impending 10th Amendment legal challenge to the proposal.

Thanks for the update. BTW, did Congrove vote "yes" or "F*## Yes" like last time?

Looks like the three of them decided follow the law for a change. JJ did not allow them to consider anything but the single topic of a falling tower, and the Federal Law overrides any other consideration. I suspect that JJ can now lift the injunction shortly. I would be surprised, given the Federal law just passed, if Deb could come up with anything with enough grounds to get another injunction to stop the work at this time. Even if she files appeals on the legality of the Federal Law, it could take years, and without an injunction to stop construction, work will likely be done long before her case could be heard. For a change, the usual court delays will work in our favor. Maybe, if Jeffco gets lucky and the LCG is in a forgiving mood, they will get a portion of what they agreed to years ago before the legal delays.

John M
post #545 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

JeffCo = Spaulding IMOHO; "You'll get nothing and like it!"
post #546 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 AM

To me even though they voted 3 to 0 to accept it's not what they wanted to do. It is all based on the fact that it was originally approved back in 2003 and the last remand was for them prove there was competent evidence to support their majority vote not to approve. Kathy stated that you get elected to have control over jurisdictional matters only to find out what little control you have. Congrove wished them good luck on there their 10th amendment issue.
The meeting was started by the County Attorney and assistant County Attorney presenting a history of events.
There was not a very big turn out and all was quiet. The meeting only lasted about 30 minutes.

Leonard
post #547 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous Marv View Post

"We're building the tower," said Lake Cedar spokesman Marv Rockford. A road has been built to where foundations for the transmitter building and tower anchors are being poured.

Now this is great news! It sounds like they aren't dinking around! Once they start pouring concrete, things usually move right along. In 30 days they could actually start working on the tower! I know that that is a tad bit optimistic, but the possibility exists.

Gosh, I wonder when they'll start on the outhouse?
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide
38° 57' 49"N 105° 05' 33"W - 8,900'

Enercept SIP Provider
post #548 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

At the very least they ought to start posting more pictures on the hdtvcolorado web site, so we can keep up with whatever progress they're making.
post #549 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyPreWired View Post

Gosh, I wonder when they'll start on the outhouse?
....jc

Let's do the right thing and allow sCARE to use whatever facilities are brought in for the tower crew. Now I'm not saying this out of some exalted sense of humanity. The Act doesn't provide for construction of outhouses on the mountain so the county hasn't lost all local authority. We don't want to see that 'lady' lawyer convince Judge Jackson to padlock the construction site over an outhouse zoning issue.

But again, maybe a smarter lawyer can make the case it is an ancillary structure

--- CHAS

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
post #550 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko View Post

I suspect that JJ can now lift the injunction shortly.

I believe JJ did not need this vote to lift the injunction with all due haste. However, in my opinion, JJ successfully met his original intention of passing the buck by delay and default. He now has no reason to not go ahead with the formality of dismissing the injunction. Also, LCG has no more excuses to delay construction, other than possible FCC red tape. I would hope the LCG has all their ducks in a row to finish construction this year. I'm ready for the flange welcoming ceremony.

I am in favor of removing the old towers as proposed in the original 2003 zoning app. I also believe that RF monitoring will be abandoned by LCG due to cost; this will give (s)care the continuing story of LCG is nothing but baby killing liars.

Don
post #551 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 11:01 AM

Hey, Jetlag! Empty out some of your pm stuff so I can pm you, please! It says your box is full -

And thanks to all for the suggestions of Blue Jeans Cable! They look good!

Tim
post #552 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Denver Post Article

Leonard
post #553 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It's been so long I've forgotten what was approved today. Did LCG ask for a one-time legal exemption to the zoning to build the tower, or did they ask for permanent rezoning of the location?

I'm curious because the article talked about rezoning and Congrove talked about approving the rezoning so that they might have some control over what is happening up on Lookout Mtn. Does that mean the towers are now "legal and conforming" or will they still be "legal, non-conforming" after the new construction?

Is there even any way to know given the myriad laws and jurisdictions and orders involved in the tower construction?
post #554 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldon View Post

It's been so long I've forgotten what was approved today. Did LCG ask for a one-time legal exemption to the zoning to build the tower, or did they ask for permanent rezoning of the location?

I'm 99% sure it's a permanent rezoning of the location where the new tower is being built.

And, as a companion piece to the Denver Post article above, here's the Rocky's story on the decision this morning. My favourite line:
Quote:

"Lake Cedar won today," said Deb Carney

post #555 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Lake Cedar won today," said Deb Carney

Not exactly 100% correct Deb, the people of Denver and the surrounding communities WON today.

Quote:

The rezoning passed today is the best way we have "to control what is going on up there," Congrove said of the Lookout Mountain tower.

"To control what is going on"? If you have not realized yet it is controlled by the Feds, not by local super-spy, file stealing miscreants.

Quote:

"This is not in our best interest," said Deb Carney, attorney for the homeowner association umbrella group Canyon Area Residents for the Environment.

According to the Deb Carney WIKI, "OUR" is defined as "the wealthy land speculators who invested in property on Lookout Mountain".
post #556 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawood View Post

Denver Post Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_mal View Post

And, as a companion piece to the Denver Post article above, here's the Rocky's story on the decision this morning.

To quote my favorite band,
"What A Long Strange Trip It's Been"

The next sound you hear from Lookout (after Deb stops screaming foul) should be the sound of blasting for the control building.

John M
post #557 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:

"History will judge this very harshly" - Deb

I think that someone is very full of themselves. History will either ignore the whole thing, or, as a footnote, briefly mention the delay cause by stupid NIMBYism.

Now that it is properly zoned by both the Feds and by JeffCo, if any of the above gets challenged, the other one takes over so ...
Game, Set, Match.

# Matt
post #558 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattn6 View Post

Quote:

"History will judge this very harshly" - Deb

For our country's sake, I certainly hope so!

When a small group of people deny 100's of thousands of people the right to enjoy something, due to their own agenda and greed, this is something that people should remember.
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide
38° 57' 49"N 105° 05' 33"W - 8,900'

Enercept SIP Provider
post #559 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Anybody heard LCG's response? They weren't part of this meeting? My feeling is it doesn't matter what Congrove or the rest of the BOCC says, LCG can still do whatever the hell they want. They don't have to sign-off on this.
post #560 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 05:10 PM

The details of OTA converter box program have been published on one of the government websites:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/otiahome/dtv/dtvcoupon.html

The coupon-eligible boxes will be pretty basic. Listed on the 'disqualifying features' list are HDMI, DVI, and analog YPrPb outputs.

My take is RF in, decode and down convert to SD any of the 18 ATSC formats, then output via ch 3/4 modulator, composite, or s-video only.

-Glen
post #561 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

Anybody heard LCG's response? They weren't part of this meeting? My feeling is it doesn't matter what Congrove or the rest of the BOCC says, LCG can still do whatever the hell they want. They don't have to sign-off on this.

Nothing posted on the HDTV Colorado website. I guess there is no need to gloat, they won this thing when the law was passed in Congress.

As for you other comment, I agree, the whole show today was for Deb and her followers, it really doesn't matter what they think anymore. The LCG can build what they want, when they want, and they can basically do whatever they want with the old agreement from 2003. Jeffco, (S)CARE, and Golden got exactly what they deserve.

John M
post #562 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 08:19 PM

I can't believe it. After all these years, construction has begun! When's the Bar-B-Q?
post #563 of 8473 Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

All in all, a good day for metro-Denver citizens.
post #564 of 8473 Old 03-13-2007, 06:52 AM

Anybody see Deb's comment on Channel 2's 9 O'clock news last night? She said that there was someone from the Lithuanian (IIRC) equivalent of the FCC that was "appalled at the level of radiation" coming from the mountain.

She must have run out of local authorities that agree with her.

Dave P.
post #565 of 8473 Old 03-13-2007, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

So why does she still live up there?
post #566 of 8473 Old 03-13-2007, 08:24 AM

Here is the article that appeared in the Denver Post paper today. The wording is somewhat different from yesterday. Details what LCG's plans are.

Leonard
post #567 of 8473 Old 03-13-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

Ernie - no I didn't see anyone from LCG there yesterday. Like you (and others) have said - there was no reason for them to be there.

To whomever was vouching for Kathy Hartman's integrity last year - after seeing her in person, I have great respect for her. She clearly wanted to vote no - if only in principle to deny the rezoning application - but she understood the legalities of the situation and did what she was bound by honor (and law ) to do - she voted yes.

Again, McCaskey (sp?) seemed to have the best grasp on the situation.

Still no update on sCARE's website? Lemme suggest some sample text: "It's over"

post #568 of 8473 Old 03-13-2007, 09:47 AM

Does anyone know what really has be agreed upon? The mountain has been rezoned? Is there some document explaining the zoning details? Is there an 'understanding' between the county and the broadcasters? What elements of all those ancient agreements will be honored? Those linked press reports contain no real information.

Everyones website seems to have been abandoned for the last month. This thing appears to be settled. Now it's time for everyone who is either directly involved or just interested to know exactly what's going to happen. Why all the secrecy?

--- CHAS

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
post #569 of 8473 Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 AM

"Lake Cedar won today," said Deb Carney, an attorney for CARE. "History will judge this very harshly"

History's reply:

We judge Deb and the SCARE group to be at best selfish at worst stupid.
post #570 of 8473 Old 03-13-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

It seems to be this way because everyone thinks they've won something.

sCARE is always hanging on some threat of another lawsuit.
Golden is also still threating legal action.
BOCC's think they're done by approving this worthless piece of paper.
LCG didn't have to be at the meeting and doesn't have to agree to whatever they passed.

We may never know for a while until either sCARE, Golden or BOCC's files new legal action to stop LCG from bringing in the cranes!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page