Denver, CO - OTA - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 8473 Old 03-25-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't forget that they also make chimney mounts that consist of a couple of metal straps that wrap around the chimney, no holes to drill. My bro-in-law mounted his VHF/UHF antenna this way and it has not budged. We put that up over 2 years ago. These also keep your antenna up quite high.

Question; is it required to ground an antenna if it is inside the attic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 8473 Old 03-25-2007, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone see the "crawl" on KUSA tonight during Grease? When they ran it (an Amber Alert), I lost my picture but not my sound OTA. It's kind of ironic that most stations that run crawls can only do it in SD, so they switch off the HD feed. KUSA can run crawls in 16x9 format, but they shut down an SD program.

If anyone is interested, on the NBC Nightly News on Friday, they announced that they will start HD broadcasts of the program beginning tomorrow.

An Jetlag, it is my understanding that you do not have to ground an antenna in the attic. The purpose of a ground is to provide a path for the release of static electricity that can build up on an ungrounded antenna (mainly from the wind) outside. There is no wind in the attic (unless the vents are REALLY good!).
post #723 of 8473 Old 03-26-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #724 of 8473 Old 03-26-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlag View Post

Don't forget that they also make chimney mounts that consist of a couple of metal straps that wrap around the chimney, no holes to drill. My bro-in-law mounted his VHF/UHF antenna this way and it has not budged. We put that up over 2 years ago. These also keep your antenna up quite high.

Question; is it required to ground an antenna if it is inside the attic?

My understanding is you do not have to ground an antenna inside the attic. But I could be wrong.

I'll look into the chimney mount, although currently the chimney I can think of on the roof is the one for the water heater and furnace (they share a chimney run, I think), and since there's water leaking in around it... Gotta love those new-to-you houses. Anyway, we'll have to fix the water leak, and when we do that, we can make sure it's a strong mount.

So do you basically strap the mast to the chimney?

-Sarah
post #725 of 8473 Old 03-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

OK, this little problem I'm having hasn't gone away, so I'd like to see what the experts have to say about it. (Haven't read anything here about it, though I could have missed it)

I'm using a Zenith HDV420 receiver for OTA HDTV stations. Whenever I go to channel 6-1, it craps out. By that, I mean the picture totally disappears, and the readout on the front says "WAIT", then "NO SIGNAL." The only way to fix this is to change to another channel (still no picture), unplug it, and plug it back in. Any ideas? This just started happening out of nowhere 2 or 3 weeks ago. Before that I never had any problem, and could always get all the channels, including 6-1.
post #726 of 8473 Old 03-26-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Jeremy, How's your reception? Powerful or at the threshold of OK? It could be that when it loses signal strength, it locks it up. Remember, it's spring and trees are starting or maybe your antenna moved a bit, all those things effect reception. My older Dish OTV receiver would lock-up when it lost signals.
post #727 of 8473 Old 03-26-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Tebo View Post

OK, this little problem I'm having hasn't gone away, so I'd like to see what the experts have to say about it. (Haven't read anything here about it, though I could have missed it)

I'm using a Zenith HDV420 receiver for OTA HDTV stations. Whenever I go to channel 6-1, it craps out. By that, I mean the picture totally disappears, and the readout on the front says "WAIT", then "NO SIGNAL." The only way to fix this is to change to another channel (still no picture), unplug it, and plug it back in. Any ideas? This just started happening out of nowhere 2 or 3 weeks ago. Before that I never had any problem, and could always get all the channels, including 6-1.

Jeremy,

It might have something to do with the fact that once KRMA added the dreaded PBS spanish language subchannel that remaps to 6-2 a few weeks back, they kinda created a mess. My receiver now thinks it gets a ton of other subchannels from KRMA (18-3 through 18-14, as well as some additional garbage in the 100's range). In short, me receiver has been having a REALLY tough time with KRMA ever since a few weeks ago when they added the spanish subchannel, and didn't clean up the rest of their mess. This might be what you are encountering as well.
post #728 of 8473 Old 03-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Ernie, I'd have to check again, but I think KRMA has always been strong. I just use a pair of bunny ears sitting on the back of my TV. I'll try repositioning it, but I think it must be something else, as it acts really weird just on that station.

UHForever, if they just did that a few weeks ago, then that must be what is screwing it up. Maybe I'll send them an email and see what they think. Seems really odd that it would only have this effect on my receiver, and screw it up so bad. It is a pretty old one though, I bought it for a measly $50 from a fellow AVSer.
post #729 of 8473 Old 03-26-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfeitler View Post

If there's a more appropriate thread/forum, can someone point me to it?

We're moving into a new-to-us house in north Longmont, up in the 21st/Hover area. No mast on the house (no masts on any nearby houses--I'm afraid the neighbors are going to see our antenna and scream ). Anyway, we need to install our lovely UHF antenna which has been doing a decent job for us at our old house (also Longmont), and we'd like to put up our VHF/UHF combo as well, for whatever channels don't come through in HD.

Do we try the attic first, or go straight for the roof mount? And if roof, is a tripod better/easier, or an eaves mount? I like the idea of not drilling through my roof, and I read somewhere that a 3' tripod can't handle anything bigger than an 80" antenna, so while that would work for our UHF-only, we'd need a bigger tripod for our combo.

I'm starting to see why folks go for cable or D*.

-Sarah

I'm not far from where you'll be (18th and Spencer). I just have my antenna on a 6 foot pole in my back yard. I do have a good line of sight to RP though. You might want to try your antenna in a bunch of places before you secure it. I've found that height is not that vital in our area, unless there is something blocking you that you need to get over. We are slightly down angle so I point my antenna slightly upward. You should be able to get everything from RP, Lookout, KGWN from Cheyenne and a few others if you have a good line. I get everything except KGWN and KBDI by pointing at RP.

Sean
post #730 of 8473 Old 03-27-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sort of. Scroll down about half way on THIS PAGE to the chiney mount. On the photo is an arrow that will show additional photos of what it looks like when it is installed.
post #731 of 8473 Old 03-27-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My understanding is you do not have to ground an antenna inside the attic. But I could be wrong.

I'll look into the chimney mount, although currently the chimney I can think of on the roof is the one for the water heater and furnace (they share a chimney run, I think), and since there's water leaking in around it... Gotta love those new-to-you houses. Anyway, we'll have to fix the water leak, and when we do that, we can make sure it's a strong mount.

-Sarah

You are not required by the NEC to ground an indoor/attic antenna. However, it won't hurt anything if you do. I ground the long coax runs from my attic antennas with one of those little coax grounding blocks that are typically used to provide the ground for the coax run from a rooftop antenna, just before it enters the house. I have my grounding block located on one of the basement joists, just before the coax runs up through the floor and up inside the wall to my family room for my HDTV setup. I run a ground wire from the grounding block to the cold water supply line, not far from where it enters the basement from outside underground. Not necessary, but what the heck.

FWIW, be aware that chimney mounts are designed for structural rigid chimney, like the old brick and mortar kind. Do not use one on a simple wood frame chimney enclosure like those on many modern homes. They are not designed to handle any significant lateral loads. Using a chimney mount on one of them with a large and/or tall antenna could cause severe damage to your chimney in a typical metro wind storm.
post #732 of 8473 Old 03-27-2007, 08:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Interesting story about the FCC on a new OTA use.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070327/fcc_i...vice.html?.v=1
post #733 of 8473 Old 03-28-2007, 05:21 PM

This use of White Space (vacant spectrum between channels) proposal has be in debate for quite a while. I'm not quite sure what the parties who want to sell the 'device' really intend to accomplish. It appears to be some sort of data service for which they will send you yet another monthly bill.

Some time ago, the FCC asked for comments about the design for a 'device'. That request asked for comments about every imaginable technical and legal question. I was favorably impressed with their insight into the matter. With certainty, I knew the questions would be answered positively because this thing has congressional horsepower moving it. And, how can one win an argument against technical innovation?

There have been several proposals concerning how the 'device' will determine where white space is. One proposal was an embedded GPS receiver to fix the 'device' position and a database for lookup of active channels at that location.. obviously too complex. I believe the final proposed 'device' will scan for white space.

Then there is a debate about licensed vs Part 15 operating authority. I'll vote for Part 15 because the operators will then have to accept any interference to service without legal recourse.

Of course, the sellers want these things in the stores now. I'll vote for these things to enter service after the digital transition when white space areas have been actually defined.

I'm not against the use of white space so long as the technology works and the FCC will protect the OTA viewers from any interference these 'devices' cause. Zero interference must be the standard.

--- CHAS

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
post #734 of 8473 Old 03-28-2007, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

post #735 of 8473 Old 03-28-2007, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Was in Home Depot this PM. As I walked out, I noticed a display for a Magnavox 42" LCD TV. The box stated it had an "ATSC/WAM" tuner.
post #736 of 8473 Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

And a nice reply, Ernie...
post #737 of 8473 Old 03-29-2007, 02:45 PM

Any news on JJ's rulling? I thought the last report said it would be sometime this week.

# Matt
post #738 of 8473 Old 03-29-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Not yet.

JJ set a deadline of this past Tuesday for the parties to submit any last documents. Then he has up to 18 days (Calender/work days????) to do research. We most likely won't hear any news until at least next week or the week after. Maybe Wabisabi will post the news when something happens out there.
post #739 of 8473 Old 03-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

I apologize for asking this, but I've been away from this thread for some time. What is it that JJ is to rule on? Isn't the whole issue a done deal now? And how did LCG get the permits to begin work if there are still legal issues pending in the court?

filmnut
post #740 of 8473 Old 03-29-2007, 09:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

FN,

LCG is working under the President's law that JeffCo no longer has any control over the tower site. LCG did go to JJ to request he lift the official injunction, now that its moot. It was a smart thing do to clean-up the legal mess and finalize the situation. Especially now that the law and the Jeffco Commissioners have signed off on it. Makes it harder for sCARE to fight now that JeffCo is on board.
post #741 of 8473 Old 03-30-2007, 07:18 AM

Does anybody know why my old Sony SAT-200 receiver is looping over and over the "creating channel list?" I unplugged it overnight but the problem persists.

ScottPro
Conifer Mountain, CO
post #742 of 8473 Old 03-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Does anyone know if any of the Rockies games broadcast on My20 will be offered in HD OTA?. This press release from January is a little vague on the topic.

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=col

Please, no "who cares?" posts
post #743 of 8473 Old 03-30-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanthd View Post

Does anyone know if any of the Rockies games broadcast on My20 will be offered in HD OTA?. This press release from January is a little vague on the topic.

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=col

Please, no "who cares?" posts

My20 can certainly broadcast HD so it would depend on the production company doing the games. I know that doesn't answer your question, I'm just saying the channel would not be the limiting factor.
post #744 of 8473 Old 03-30-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess they still haven't released the details of which 63 games were going to be broadcast in HD (last line of the press release). It would be nice for those without cable to be able to get those games OTA.
post #745 of 8473 Old 03-31-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

Interesting story about the FCC on a new OTA use.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070327/fcc_i...vice.html?.v=1

What they are talking about is "Neighborhood TV Jammer Devices". It's a way for Microsoft and others to place data transmitters on your neighbors' rooftops and balcony railings and let them transmit in the so-called "white spaces", i.e.: the "electronic fire-lanes" and "RF set-backs", that, like their real-estate equivalents, provide safety and interference protection between channels. It's very likely that these devices will cause many people to abandon OTA television, since there will be so many cases of unpredictable "failure" of their sets to receive OTA, due to intermodulation and front-end overload caused by these nearby "medium-powered" "stations". Also, say goodbye to wireless microphones.

Of course, with this same mentality, we could eliminate all zoning restrictions, and place one of the towers in the middle of Deb's backyard hot tub .

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #746 of 8473 Old 04-01-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinedawg View Post

I'm not far from where you'll be (18th and Spencer). I just have my antenna on a 6 foot pole in my back yard. I do have a good line of sight to RP though. You might want to try your antenna in a bunch of places before you secure it. I've found that height is not that vital in our area, unless there is something blocking you that you need to get over. We are slightly down angle so I point my antenna slightly upward. You should be able to get everything from RP, Lookout, KGWN from Cheyenne and a few others if you have a good line. I get everything except KGWN and KBDI by pointing at RP.

Sean

Thanks. Sorry to go silent all week, we were ... heh... moving. Anyway, we're in the new house now, but haven't done jack about the antenna. I still own the old house, so I still have my MythTV box there, and UHF antenna, recording things until I can play around here.

I did bring the 160" combo over to the new house, and I think we'll see what we can do with that. Clearly not a chimney mount, since all we actually have is a vent pipe--no chimney, not even a wooden one.

Sean, thanks for the info about height--I'm moving from old town (9th and Francis), where there were lots of mature trees, and a 1-story house, so height mattered. Useful to know it's less important here. You say your antenna is in your back yard--so your backyard has a southern exposure? My house faces south, I'm assuming I'll want to be either in the attic, or on the roof--the backyard would be blocked by the entire house. Is this a bad assumption?

-Sarah
post #747 of 8473 Old 04-01-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks. Sorry to go silent all week, we were ... heh... moving. Anyway, we're in the new house now, but haven't done jack about the antenna. I still own the old house, so I still have my MythTV box there, and UHF antenna, recording things until I can play around here.

I did bring the 160" combo over to the new house, and I think we'll see what we can do with that. Clearly not a chimney mount, since all we actually have is a vent pipe--no chimney, not even a wooden one.

Sean, thanks for the info about height--I'm moving from old town (9th and Francis), where there were lots of mature trees, and a 1-story house, so height mattered. Useful to know it's less important here. You say your antenna is in your back yard--so your backyard has a southern exposure? My house faces south, I'm assuming I'll want to be either in the attic, or on the roof--the backyard would be blocked by the entire house. Is this a bad assumption?

-Sarah

My house actually faces west. My backyard fence is almost directly in line with RP. I just shoot my antenna down the fence between all the houses. I did have it up high at one point, but it was a pain to work on it. The last time I took it down I decided to test it in the backyard. It worked so I just left it.

Try on either side of the house first. Is anything blocking you to the south? If there is, you might have to go up higher. Try it on the ground first to see what you get. Have somebody on a phone or something looking at your signal meter while your moving the antenna around. Your assumption about the backyard is probably right, but I've seen weirder things. As long as you can point slightly upward and to the south with no blockages, you should be alright.
post #748 of 8473 Old 04-02-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinedawg View Post

My house actually faces west. My backyard fence is almost directly in line with RP. I just shoot my antenna down the fence between all the houses. I did have it up high at one point, but it was a pain to work on it. The last time I took it down I decided to test it in the backyard. It worked so I just left it.

Try on either side of the house first. Is anything blocking you to the south? If there is, you might have to go up higher. Try it on the ground first to see what you get. Have somebody on a phone or something looking at your signal meter while your moving the antenna around. Your assumption about the backyard is probably right, but I've seen weirder things. As long as you can point slightly upward and to the south with no blockages, you should be alright.

I think we'll try it, anyway. We can go over the fence on either side of the house... but I doubt we'll be able to get a clear shot all the way south. I think we'll "hit" another house across the street. Anyway, it's certainly worth a try. Thanks for the idea!

-Sarah
post #749 of 8473 Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I think we'll try it, anyway. We can go over the fence on either side of the house... but I doubt we'll be able to get a clear shot all the way south. I think we'll "hit" another house across the street. Anyway, it's certainly worth a try. Thanks for the idea!

-Sarah

It is definitely worth a try. My own setup here in Boulder is an outdoor antenna 'temporarily' lashed to a post on my outside deck (for the last 4 or 5 years). Line of sight it looks straight in to some trees and at about the roof level of a house about a half block away, yet I get great reception on all the RP channels. If the house is not too close, the signal will likely skip around it enough for you to receive it. I am using the RShack UHF only array, so it is not a real 'high end' antenna either.

John M
post #750 of 8473 Old 04-02-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko View Post

My own setup here in Boulder is an outdoor antenna 'temporarily' lashed to a post on my outside deck (for the last 4 or 5 years)..

Same here, although mine has only been up for 3.5 years. At that time I was able to tell my wife that the Jeffco BOC had approved the new tower and so I would only need the antenna outside for a year. I have a CM4228 on a mast lashed to my backyard deck, aimed SE through the gap between my house and my neighbors; my neighbor has one tree which might be in the way, but it's a good 50 yards away. Downtown Denver is just barely under the horizon; the skyscrapers are clearly visible from a hill behind my house which is 100 feet higher elevation.

I am also able to pick up the Lookout Mountain stations with this setup, even though the antenna is pointed downtown and the LOS to Lookout is blocked by my house.

My cable provider is Netflix
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page