1Likes
post #8461 of 8489 Old 05-07-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

Has anyone had issues with channel 2. I'm on the south side of the Palmer Ridge. I've had issues with channel 2 since last fall. Before that it was always solid. Now there are fluctuations in the signal quality on my DTV pal DVR, and undecipherable signal on one of my upstairs TVs.

I don't watch it that much, but I haven't noticed any issues on channel 2 in my own setup or any customer installs with OTA Antennas lately either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 8489 Old 05-17-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
KCDO out of Sterling is now broadcasting on Channel 41 which maps to 3.1 in the Denver area. You can still get it on 28.3.
freetvEE likes this.
post #8463 of 8489 Old 05-18-2014, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too, have seen 3.1 appear mysteriously in the last several weeks, the same channel as 28.3. I did see a promo on 3.1 about it, that they are broadcasting in hi-def. on 3.1 (720P).

Is 28.3 in 480i?

I have 2 devices for tuning OTA. One is a TVIX 6620 which has an ATSC tuner and a hard drive. It shows on screen brief audio/video specs of the signal (i.e 720p, DD 2.0). Strangely, when scanning it will pick up 28.1 but not the sub channels on 28. Therefore I don't know if 28.3 is broadcasting in 480i, but I assume it has in the past. (28.1 is useless to me since it is a shopping channel.)

My other OTA device is a Zenith DTT-901 converter box. It gets 28.1 and all the sub channels but has no readout wether the signal is SD or HD.

Channels 16, 26 and 28 are all related, owned by Courier Broadcasting. What a mess! For example, 26.4 runs the same episode of the same program repeatedly everyday for several weeks. They are showing all public domain stuff mostly from the 1950's (My Little Margie, I Married Joan, Racket Squad, One Step Beyond, Burns and Allen, 1950's Dragnet, etc). Also broadcast are some better known series that had some episodes or partial seasons slip into the public domain. For example there are handfuls of episodes from The Andy Griffith Show, The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, The Lucy Show and Mannix that have fallen into PD.

You'll only see the eps that went into PD, never the eps that the rights are still owned.

Perhaps if you have ever bought one of those bargain DVD sets that have 50 or 100 episodes of "classic comedy", you will find many of he same episodes broadcast. (Sorry to get a bit off track).

Channel 26.4 even shows some of those mental hygiene/social engineering films shown in classrooms from the 1950's and some mind numbing 'pubic information films' from the 60's. They call it "AV Club".

It is a painfully bad channel, yet still compelling and interesting, almost fascinating in its "badness". Their website is completely inaccurate (over a year out of date) and I have seen them broadcast on 26.4 brief screens showing the weather forecast that were over a month old! they send no PSIP information so no titles of current/upcoming programs are shown.

I love the 1950's stuff, the more obscure the better. Too bad they don't have their act together, I'd watch them often.
post #8464 of 8489 Old 05-18-2014, 10:32 PM

"It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?"

Yep -- with all the damned obnoxious commercials. Now with "Sweeps month(s)" here (May & June) they're even worse.

Oh wait, it's 2014 -- mid-term elections. Now the political ads are ramping up!! We're screwed!
post #8465 of 8489 Old 05-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thextguy View Post

I too, have seen 3.1 appear mysteriously in the last several weeks, the same channel as 28.3. I did see a promo on 3.1 about it, that they are broadcasting in hi-def. on 3.1 (720P).

Is 28.3 in 480i?

I have 2 devices for tuning OTA. One is a TVIX 6620 which has an ATSC tuner and a hard drive. It shows on screen brief audio/video specs of the signal (i.e 720p, DD 2.0). Strangely, when scanning it will pick up 28.1 but not the sub channels on 28. Therefore I don't know if 28.3 is broadcasting in 480i, but I assume it has in the past. (28.1 is useless to me since it is a shopping channel.)

My other OTA device is a Zenith DTT-901 converter box. It gets 28.1 and all the sub channels but has no readout wether the signal is SD or HD.

Channels 16, 26 and 28 are all related, owned by Courier Broadcasting. What a mess! For example, 26.4 runs the same episode of the same program repeatedly everyday for several weeks. They are showing all public domain stuff mostly from the 1950's (My Little Margie, I Married Joan, Racket Squad, One Step Beyond, Burns and Allen, 1950's Dragnet, etc). Also broadcast are some better known series that had some episodes or partial seasons slip into the public domain. For example there are handfuls of episodes from The Andy Griffith Show, The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, The Lucy Show and Mannix that have fallen into PD.

You'll only see the eps that went into PD, never the eps that the rights are still owned.

Perhaps if you have ever bought one of those bargain DVD sets that have 50 or 100 episodes of "classic comedy", you will find many of he same episodes broadcast. (Sorry to get a bit off track).

Channel 26.4 even shows some of those mental hygiene/social engineering films shown in classrooms from the 1950's and some mind numbing 'pubic information films' from the 60's. They call it "AV Club".

It is a painfully bad channel, yet still compelling and interesting, almost fascinating in its "badness". Their website is completely inaccurate (over a year out of date) and I have seen them broadcast on 26.4 brief screens showing the weather forecast that were over a month old! they send no PSIP information so no titles of current/upcoming programs are shown.

I love the 1950's stuff, the more obscure the better. Too bad they don't have their act together, I'd watch them often.

I will need to check this out should I ever find myself in Denver. Sounds too great to miss.
post #8466 of 8489 Old 05-20-2014, 08:22 AM

If you're seeing OTA 3.1 (KCDO-DT) then you are getting that partiocular direct via tropospheric ducting or a reflecting cloud in just the right place. Their transmitter is a few miles South of Ft. Morgan, about 60 miles NE of Denver. Occasionally, I've gotten their signal this way, usually in the morning +/- 7:AM then gone until the next morning.

As for Courier Broadcasting, sometimes it's amazing what you'll see while surfing after a scan to see "what's out there."
post #8467 of 8489 Old 05-20-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Smoke Talker,

KCDO is airing on KSBS-CD 41 in 720p, mapped to 3-1.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8468 of 8489 Old 05-27-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I've been paying $2/month to Comcast for those little converter boxes for the last few years and had an Insignia converter box in the basement for my TV there since I have no cable connections in the basement. Well channel 7.1 and 7.4 were always hard to get if at all at times with simple rabbit ears. I was given an RCA converter box recently and hooked it up and the reception is a bit better than the Insignia box. Last weekend, I hooked up the RCA box to my TV in the bedroom with the rabbit ears, so I could return at least one rented box to Comcast. I oriented the antenna so I could get as many channels as possible including 7.1, 7.2, and 7.4, but during the week with the clouds in the morning, the 7 channels started breaking up and shuddering. Yesterday I decided to move my Phillips MANT510 amplified antenna which I had limited success with my living room HDTV as well as my HDHomeRun tuner from the upstairs balcony to the bedroom and was able to orient it to get all channels clearly. I have to check the reception on the next overcast day. Channel 12 is the hardest to receive, followed by channel 7s. The bedroom location is a few feet higher than the balcony, but in a closet with an interior wall on the north side and the doors open to the south. AntennaWeb shows that I'm 19 miles due east pretty much midway between both Genessee and Morrison towers, and 33 miles due east of KBDI 12.1. I relocated the rabbit ear antenna to the basement with my Insignia tuner and since there is not mount for the antenna set it on top of that TV at about a 40 degree angle pointing W and NW and am able to get all channels with just occasional breakup on 7s. I had also tested the RCA converter with the rabbit ears with my 2nd bedroom TV, but got worse reception. It is also in a closet, but the back wall (same wall as the room) is west facing, so the signals have to go through that wall. I think I'll order a RCA ANT751 from Newegg at the end of the week as they offered me a free 3-month trial Premiere membership (free returns and no restocking fees) and mount it in my attic. I'll have to run coax from the 2 bedrooms over to the hall attic trap door, however, and will eventually be splitting the antenna to 4 TVs.
post #8469 of 8489 Old 06-03-2014, 07:48 PM

Too bad they are not broadcasting 5.1 DD yet. I watched their broadcast of Star Trek Nemesis a couple of days ago but it was only in stereo. Their picture quality has greatly improved from 28-3.
post #8470 of 8489 Old 06-09-2014, 02:25 PM

Hi, I'm in Firestone (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c64a959a4636) and am about to cut cable tv. I want to do an attic antenna install in my 2-story house, and hoping not to need a preamp if possible. I plan to split signal 3 ways (HDHR, plus 2 tv's), and longest run will be about 50-60 ft. Any suggestions on antenna? I was looking at ANT751, HD7694, and Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM. I know I will lose signal via attic, so want to ensure I have enough signal before the loss. TIA.
Tim
post #8471 of 8489 Old 06-09-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
so want to ensure I have enough signal before the loss.

Then keep the antenna out of the attic.

You shouldn't need a pre-amp. Perhaps a distribution amp, but that isn't very likely unless you're supplying a large building.

Any of those antennas should work.
post #8472 of 8489 Old 06-10-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavesacre03 View Post

Hi, I'm in Firestone (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c64a959a4636) and am about to cut cable tv. I want to do an attic antenna install in my 2-story house, and hoping not to need a preamp if possible. I plan to split signal 3 ways (HDHR, plus 2 tv's), and longest run will be about 50-60 ft. Any suggestions on antenna? I was looking at ANT751, HD7694, and Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM. I know I will lose signal via attic, so want to ensure I have enough signal before the loss. TIA.
Tim

As Project mentioned I wouldn't put it in the attic unless you absolutely have too and no amp. I have customers up in Firestone and would recommend the AD C2V, since it is the easiest to work with (small size) & has great reception. I also have a comparison off all of these on my site under antennas that may help you out.
post #8473 of 8489 Old 06-11-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetvEE View Post

As Project mentioned I wouldn't put it in the attic unless you absolutely have too and no amp. I have customers up in Firestone and would recommend the AD C2V, since it is the easiest to work with (small size) & has great reception. I also have a comparison off all of these on my site under antennas that may help you out.
Thank you, I appreciate your and ProjectSHO89's input!
post #8474 of 8489 Old 09-11-2014, 12:28 PM

I noticed an advertisement for a channel called Escape which is broadcast as 14.4 It looks to be a channel similar to Lifetime.
post #8475 of 8489 Old 09-14-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post
I noticed an advertisement for a channel called Escape which is broadcast as 14.4 It looks to be a channel similar to Lifetime.
Thanks for the heads up, not sure I will watch that channel much, but I am sure I will have some customers that will...
post #8476 of 8489 Old 09-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is anybody else experiencing staticky audio on CBS 4? I thought it was an issue elsewhere in my system, but it's only on channel 4. It's somewhat intermittent, but highly annoying.
post #8477 of 8489 Old 09-22-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post
Is anybody else experiencing staticky audio on CBS 4? I thought it was an issue elsewhere in my system, but it's only on channel 4. It's somewhat intermittent, but highly annoying.
I'm getting audio dropouts on 4.1, 6.1, and others in Stapleton. Started happening over the past week or so. Very frustrating. TV signal meter shows very good reception.
post #8478 of 8489 Old 11-08-2014, 03:45 PM

Is anyone else still getting dropouts on 6.1? Anyone have any ideas of how to handle this?
post #8479 of 8489 Old 11-29-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Then keep the antenna out of the attic.

You shouldn't need a pre-amp. Perhaps a distribution amp, but that isn't very likely unless you're supplying a large building.

Any of those antennas should work.
AVS Forum to the rescue again. This somewhat old quote from Project just save my whole cord-cutting/OTA project. For the life of me I could not get KDVR (Fox, 31-1) and KCNC (CBS, 4-1). I live in north Thornton, 22-23 miles from those transmitters, with a clear line of sight. I should have no difficulty picking up those channels, and indeed everything other channel was coming in beautifully. It's an issue that's mystified me for several days. Lots of different antenna placements, tried a signal booster, nothing worked. Without those channels it's a non-starter - I need my NFL.

After reading this post I realized that the coax from my antenna is feeding a splitter which then feeds three different lines to various parts of the house. As I'm using a Tablo, I only need one line - the other TV's are fed by streams from the Tablo. So I disconnected the two unnecessary lines and voila, problem solved. Even with the antenna in the attic, KDVR and KCNC come in strongly. Not sure if it's possible to measure exact signal levels with the Tablo, as it only shows up to five dots rather than signal strength in dB, but I have the full five dots on 33 channels. Awesome. Thanks Project!
post #8480 of 8489 Old 12-01-2014, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hoping to cut the cord, need advice

Hello all, I would appreciate a little help. I'm completely new to this, but found this forum. I'm hoping to cut cable at the end of the month, but have no idea what antenna to buy. I'm in a ranch home and plan to put an antenna in the attic if possible, would rather not put anything on the roof.

Tried to post my TVFool report, but wasnt allowed to post a URL. I'm in East Central Denver.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. I'm really just hoping to get basic channels, mostly for live sports. Thanks!
post #8481 of 8489 Old 12-02-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTV View Post
Hello all, I would appreciate a little help. I'm completely new to this, but found this forum. I'm hoping to cut cable at the end of the month, but have no idea what antenna to buy. I'm in a ranch home and plan to put an antenna in the attic if possible, would rather not put anything on the roof.

Tried to post my TVFool report, but wasnt allowed to post a URL. I'm in East Central Denver.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. I'm really just hoping to get basic channels, mostly for live sports. Thanks!
Hi, I live near 6th Ave. and Monaco, have a ranch with antenna in the attic perhaps 12' above ground level, works great. My roof is hipped with no trussing so was very easy to mount and orient antenna.

I don't remember the make of the antenna, was something I bought online. What you want to be sure of is that you get an antenna that is designed to pickup hi-VHF as well as UHF. Mine is perhaps 5' long with a max element width of perhaps 4-5'. I run about 20' of cable with a splitter to feed an HTPC tuner as well as a STB. This is a directional antenna so there are a few fringe stations north and south that I don't get, but I really don't care about them.

Major channel reception is very good.
post #8482 of 8489 Old 12-03-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTV View Post

How is your line of site to the West? I would recommend you put the antenna outside if possible. Also, remember you need to get coax from the attic or outside distributed to your HDTV(s). This is likely already done, so I would just run coax to where ever your existing split is, if possible. There is a good Antenna comparison chart here, I would go with the top one-AD C2V: http://freetvee.com/ota-hdtv-antenna/
post #8483 of 8489 Old 12-08-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetvEE View Post
How is your line of site to the West? I would recommend you put the antenna outside if possible. Also, remember you need to get coax from the attic or outside distributed to your HDTV(s). This is likely already done, so I would just run coax to where ever your existing split is, if possible. There is a good Antenna comparison chart here, I would go with the top one-AD C2V: http://freetvee.com/ota-hdtv-antenna/
Also consider if you are interested in viewing iON (old PAX-tv). Their transmitter is located near Dacono about 30 miles North of Denver & might have to point a little more towards NW. Being that far East, you should be able to also pick stations out of Colorado Springs to the South. Have fun channel-surfing!!
post #8484 of 8489 Old 12-09-2014, 07:09 AM

Grit in SD is now being mapped to 3.2.
post #8485 of 8489 Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post
Grit in SD is now being mapped to 3.2.
thanks for the heads up! anyone know what the physical RF channel # is for 3.2? There used to be a great website that listed this & lots of other related details, but I am totally spacing it?!?

Last edited by freetvEE; 12-10-2014 at 10:14 AM.
post #8486 of 8489 Old 12-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetvEE View Post
anyone know what the physical RF channel # is for 3.2?
KSBS channel 41
post #8487 of 8489 Old 12-10-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 549
It's been about two years since dropping Dish and switching over to using OTA for HD network broadcasts and I've noticed a steady decline in picture quality as the locals load up with sub-channels. The compression artifacts and filtering brought on by lower than acceptable MPEG-2 bitrates are just horrible and almost unwatchable, especially during live sporting events. NBC is the absolute worst while viewing football or any sport with fast motion -- macro-blocking and softness up the wazoo.

I don't know if complaining or mass petitioning to each individual station would do any good or not. They don't seem to give a rip about HD video quality. It's the same with Comcast, DISH, and DirecTV -- pathetic!

Now they say they want to start broadcasting in UHD with possible object based audio! If it's anything like what we get now... why bother??

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 12-10-2014 at 07:52 PM.
post #8488 of 8489 Old 12-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
KCDO is airing on KSBS-CD 41 in 720p, mapped to 3-1.
Hey Trip,

Can you provide a link to a document or something which confirms that KCDO is legally being aired by KSBS on RF 41? I've tried several times to get TiVo to provide guide information for channel 3-1 on RF 41, but so far, my efforts have been unsuccessful.

The most recent response I received from TiVo was, "We have been working on your issue, but have not been able to find any official documentation stating that channel 3-1 should have a channel freq. of 41. We have to be able to confirm this information with the broadcaster or the FCC. Do you have any documentation, or contacts from the provider that you can forward to us?"

I have furnished TiVo with the web sites for both KCDO (k3colorado.com) and KSBS (ksbstv.com) both of which provide contact information, so I'm not sure what more I can do to convince TiVo that this broadcast is legitimate. Do you have any suggestions for where to go from here? I would appreciate your input.

Thank you,
Rick in Denver
post #8489 of 8489 Unread Today, 01:01 PM

Need a good satellite installer near Denver, CO
Hi folks,

Horribly off topic, I apologize - but you guys are the locals I need. This is copied from the HDTV technical forum.

Hi folks,

I was good - getting paid-for Bell Satellite TV from Canada in Fort Collins, CO, even though I am on the fringe of the 82 high-def satellite. I had my roof replaced last week, and they had to take off the dish and put it back on. Surprisingly, they got it to where I could still get a whiff of the signal, but about 15 points below peak. So this morning, I climbed on the roof and tried to repoint it, using a netbook and my Slingbox to see the "Point Dish" screen. It was on the edge of the 9242's limits, and the signal dropped off while I was up there trying to tweak it, and I could not find it again :-( The guy who put it up originally (using a good satellite meter) has stopped doing that business, and can't recommend anyone who could do it, either :-(

I could really use someone with a good sat meter to come up and tweak this, or even install the 1 meter dish I have in the basement. Does anyone have a contact or someone to ask in the Denver metro area?

Failing that, what kind of meter would I need to pick out the correct satellite?

Thanks,
Rob T

Rob T
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page