1Likes

post #8461 of 8477 Old 05-07-2014, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

Has anyone had issues with channel 2. I'm on the south side of the Palmer Ridge. I've had issues with channel 2 since last fall. Before that it was always solid. Now there are fluctuations in the signal quality on my DTV pal DVR, and undecipherable signal on one of my upstairs TVs.

I don't watch it that much, but I haven't noticed any issues on channel 2 in my own setup or any customer installs with OTA Antennas lately either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 8477 Old 05-17-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
KCDO out of Sterling is now broadcasting on Channel 41 which maps to 3.1 in the Denver area. You can still get it on 28.3.
freetvEE likes this.
post #8463 of 8477 Old 05-18-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too, have seen 3.1 appear mysteriously in the last several weeks, the same channel as 28.3. I did see a promo on 3.1 about it, that they are broadcasting in hi-def. on 3.1 (720P).

Is 28.3 in 480i?

I have 2 devices for tuning OTA. One is a TVIX 6620 which has an ATSC tuner and a hard drive. It shows on screen brief audio/video specs of the signal (i.e 720p, DD 2.0). Strangely, when scanning it will pick up 28.1 but not the sub channels on 28. Therefore I don't know if 28.3 is broadcasting in 480i, but I assume it has in the past. (28.1 is useless to me since it is a shopping channel.)

My other OTA device is a Zenith DTT-901 converter box. It gets 28.1 and all the sub channels but has no readout wether the signal is SD or HD.

Channels 16, 26 and 28 are all related, owned by Courier Broadcasting. What a mess! For example, 26.4 runs the same episode of the same program repeatedly everyday for several weeks. They are showing all public domain stuff mostly from the 1950's (My Little Margie, I Married Joan, Racket Squad, One Step Beyond, Burns and Allen, 1950's Dragnet, etc). Also broadcast are some better known series that had some episodes or partial seasons slip into the public domain. For example there are handfuls of episodes from The Andy Griffith Show, The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, The Lucy Show and Mannix that have fallen into PD.

You'll only see the eps that went into PD, never the eps that the rights are still owned.

Perhaps if you have ever bought one of those bargain DVD sets that have 50 or 100 episodes of "classic comedy", you will find many of he same episodes broadcast. (Sorry to get a bit off track).

Channel 26.4 even shows some of those mental hygiene/social engineering films shown in classrooms from the 1950's and some mind numbing 'pubic information films' from the 60's. They call it "AV Club".

It is a painfully bad channel, yet still compelling and interesting, almost fascinating in its "badness". Their website is completely inaccurate (over a year out of date) and I have seen them broadcast on 26.4 brief screens showing the weather forecast that were over a month old! they send no PSIP information so no titles of current/upcoming programs are shown.

I love the 1950's stuff, the more obscure the better. Too bad they don't have their act together, I'd watch them often.
post #8464 of 8477 Old 05-18-2014, 09:32 PM

"It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?"

Yep -- with all the damned obnoxious commercials. Now with "Sweeps month(s)" here (May & June) they're even worse.

Oh wait, it's 2014 -- mid-term elections. Now the political ads are ramping up!! We're screwed!
post #8465 of 8477 Old 05-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thextguy View Post

I too, have seen 3.1 appear mysteriously in the last several weeks, the same channel as 28.3. I did see a promo on 3.1 about it, that they are broadcasting in hi-def. on 3.1 (720P).

Is 28.3 in 480i?

I have 2 devices for tuning OTA. One is a TVIX 6620 which has an ATSC tuner and a hard drive. It shows on screen brief audio/video specs of the signal (i.e 720p, DD 2.0). Strangely, when scanning it will pick up 28.1 but not the sub channels on 28. Therefore I don't know if 28.3 is broadcasting in 480i, but I assume it has in the past. (28.1 is useless to me since it is a shopping channel.)

My other OTA device is a Zenith DTT-901 converter box. It gets 28.1 and all the sub channels but has no readout wether the signal is SD or HD.

Channels 16, 26 and 28 are all related, owned by Courier Broadcasting. What a mess! For example, 26.4 runs the same episode of the same program repeatedly everyday for several weeks. They are showing all public domain stuff mostly from the 1950's (My Little Margie, I Married Joan, Racket Squad, One Step Beyond, Burns and Allen, 1950's Dragnet, etc). Also broadcast are some better known series that had some episodes or partial seasons slip into the public domain. For example there are handfuls of episodes from The Andy Griffith Show, The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, The Lucy Show and Mannix that have fallen into PD.

You'll only see the eps that went into PD, never the eps that the rights are still owned.

Perhaps if you have ever bought one of those bargain DVD sets that have 50 or 100 episodes of "classic comedy", you will find many of he same episodes broadcast. (Sorry to get a bit off track).

Channel 26.4 even shows some of those mental hygiene/social engineering films shown in classrooms from the 1950's and some mind numbing 'pubic information films' from the 60's. They call it "AV Club".

It is a painfully bad channel, yet still compelling and interesting, almost fascinating in its "badness". Their website is completely inaccurate (over a year out of date) and I have seen them broadcast on 26.4 brief screens showing the weather forecast that were over a month old! they send no PSIP information so no titles of current/upcoming programs are shown.

I love the 1950's stuff, the more obscure the better. Too bad they don't have their act together, I'd watch them often.

I will need to check this out should I ever find myself in Denver. Sounds too great to miss.
post #8466 of 8477 Old 05-20-2014, 07:22 AM

If you're seeing OTA 3.1 (KCDO-DT) then you are getting that partiocular direct via tropospheric ducting or a reflecting cloud in just the right place. Their transmitter is a few miles South of Ft. Morgan, about 60 miles NE of Denver. Occasionally, I've gotten their signal this way, usually in the morning +/- 7:AM then gone until the next morning.

As for Courier Broadcasting, sometimes it's amazing what you'll see while surfing after a scan to see "what's out there."
post #8467 of 8477 Old 05-20-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Smoke Talker,

KCDO is airing on KSBS-CD 41 in 720p, mapped to 3-1.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8468 of 8477 Old 05-27-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I've been paying $2/month to Comcast for those little converter boxes for the last few years and had an Insignia converter box in the basement for my TV there since I have no cable connections in the basement. Well channel 7.1 and 7.4 were always hard to get if at all at times with simple rabbit ears. I was given an RCA converter box recently and hooked it up and the reception is a bit better than the Insignia box. Last weekend, I hooked up the RCA box to my TV in the bedroom with the rabbit ears, so I could return at least one rented box to Comcast. I oriented the antenna so I could get as many channels as possible including 7.1, 7.2, and 7.4, but during the week with the clouds in the morning, the 7 channels started breaking up and shuddering. Yesterday I decided to move my Phillips MANT510 amplified antenna which I had limited success with my living room HDTV as well as my HDHomeRun tuner from the upstairs balcony to the bedroom and was able to orient it to get all channels clearly. I have to check the reception on the next overcast day. Channel 12 is the hardest to receive, followed by channel 7s. The bedroom location is a few feet higher than the balcony, but in a closet with an interior wall on the north side and the doors open to the south. AntennaWeb shows that I'm 19 miles due east pretty much midway between both Genessee and Morrison towers, and 33 miles due east of KBDI 12.1. I relocated the rabbit ear antenna to the basement with my Insignia tuner and since there is not mount for the antenna set it on top of that TV at about a 40 degree angle pointing W and NW and am able to get all channels with just occasional breakup on 7s. I had also tested the RCA converter with the rabbit ears with my 2nd bedroom TV, but got worse reception. It is also in a closet, but the back wall (same wall as the room) is west facing, so the signals have to go through that wall. I think I'll order a RCA ANT751 from Newegg at the end of the week as they offered me a free 3-month trial Premiere membership (free returns and no restocking fees) and mount it in my attic. I'll have to run coax from the 2 bedrooms over to the hall attic trap door, however, and will eventually be splitting the antenna to 4 TVs.
post #8469 of 8477 Old 06-03-2014, 06:48 PM

Too bad they are not broadcasting 5.1 DD yet. I watched their broadcast of Star Trek Nemesis a couple of days ago but it was only in stereo. Their picture quality has greatly improved from 28-3.
post #8470 of 8477 Old 06-09-2014, 01:25 PM

Hi, I'm in Firestone (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c64a959a4636) and am about to cut cable tv. I want to do an attic antenna install in my 2-story house, and hoping not to need a preamp if possible. I plan to split signal 3 ways (HDHR, plus 2 tv's), and longest run will be about 50-60 ft. Any suggestions on antenna? I was looking at ANT751, HD7694, and Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM. I know I will lose signal via attic, so want to ensure I have enough signal before the loss. TIA.
Tim
post #8471 of 8477 Old 06-09-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
so want to ensure I have enough signal before the loss.

Then keep the antenna out of the attic.

You shouldn't need a pre-amp. Perhaps a distribution amp, but that isn't very likely unless you're supplying a large building.

Any of those antennas should work.
post #8472 of 8477 Old 06-10-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavesacre03 View Post

Hi, I'm in Firestone (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c64a959a4636) and am about to cut cable tv. I want to do an attic antenna install in my 2-story house, and hoping not to need a preamp if possible. I plan to split signal 3 ways (HDHR, plus 2 tv's), and longest run will be about 50-60 ft. Any suggestions on antenna? I was looking at ANT751, HD7694, and Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM. I know I will lose signal via attic, so want to ensure I have enough signal before the loss. TIA.
Tim

As Project mentioned I wouldn't put it in the attic unless you absolutely have too and no amp. I have customers up in Firestone and would recommend the AD C2V, since it is the easiest to work with (small size) & has great reception. I also have a comparison off all of these on my site under antennas that may help you out.
post #8473 of 8477 Old 06-11-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetvEE View Post

As Project mentioned I wouldn't put it in the attic unless you absolutely have too and no amp. I have customers up in Firestone and would recommend the AD C2V, since it is the easiest to work with (small size) & has great reception. I also have a comparison off all of these on my site under antennas that may help you out.
Thank you, I appreciate your and ProjectSHO89's input!
post #8474 of 8477 Old 09-11-2014, 11:28 AM

I noticed an advertisement for a channel called Escape which is broadcast as 14.4 It looks to be a channel similar to Lifetime.
post #8475 of 8477 Old 09-14-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post
I noticed an advertisement for a channel called Escape which is broadcast as 14.4 It looks to be a channel similar to Lifetime.
Thanks for the heads up, not sure I will watch that channel much, but I am sure I will have some customers that will...
post #8476 of 8477 Old 09-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Is anybody else experiencing staticky audio on CBS 4? I thought it was an issue elsewhere in my system, but it's only on channel 4. It's somewhat intermittent, but highly annoying.
post #8477 of 8477 Old 09-22-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post
Is anybody else experiencing staticky audio on CBS 4? I thought it was an issue elsewhere in my system, but it's only on channel 4. It's somewhat intermittent, but highly annoying.
I'm getting audio dropouts on 4.1, 6.1, and others in Stapleton. Started happening over the past week or so. Very frustrating. TV signal meter shows very good reception.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page