post #1081 of 8473 Old 06-16-2007, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkanders View Post

When I set this up back in like 2004, I didn't want to work that hard because the KMGH lawers assurred me (and the FCC) that they would resolve the local zoning issue and be able to start high power DTV broadcasting in the near future

I used the same argument back in 2003 to convince my wife to let me mount our antenna outdoors - it's only for a few months!

My cable provider is Netflix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 8473 Old 06-16-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

I am in the same neighborhood as 'oxothuk' (north Boulder off of Lookout and 75th), and get all of the RP channels with my Rat Shack UFH only antenna.

The pole holding my "temporary" antenna is lashed to a post on the deck in my back yard. As I recall, I put up this "temporary" fixture in the fall of 2000 to see if I could get KRMA. I am a bit uncertain, because at the time they were simply mirroring the HD signal from the Ku-Band national PBS feed which I could receive on a special HD MPEG receiver attached to my C/Ku Band TVRO dish out back. I remember it was set up for sure when KRMA picked up the CBS Super Bowl feed which (I think I remember) was Jan 2001. At any rate, that "temporary" antenna setup has been there a long time, and likely with be there at least another year of so until I can get back to using the VHF/UHF antenna in my attic which is locked into pointing at Lookout. Yep, I remember back when I set it up, it was only going to be for a year or so until the Lookout antenna tower was completed. So much for that idea.

John M
post #1083 of 8473 Old 06-20-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

Anyone live near North 119th St. and Billings Avenue just west of Erie? If so, what kind of OTA DTV do you get? Can you pick up any of the RP stations? What antenna setup are you using to receive OTA DTV?

Thanks,

Carl

I am moving just south of there this fall (119th & Austin Ave) and am intereseted in any successes and failings you may have.

Gakon ran a topo to RP and I have no Line of sight at the new place due to the hill in Thornton.

# Matt
post #1084 of 8473 Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

I was just curious if anyone gets the KBDI digital stations reliably from Louisville. I went to AntennaWeb and gave it my address which is on Tamarisk CT just east of Washington and did not get a listing. I occasionally pick them up on my most sensitive tuner.

I also tried an address on Trail Ridge DR which overlooks Via Appia. That is only about a half mile south of me, but on the other side of the that ridge. The LCG stations are green for that address and violet for me. It didn't have a listing for KBDI digital either.

I just have an attic mounted antenna, but I recently installed a CM7777 and a new UHF antenna that I can easily swing +/- 30 degrees of South. Pointing it 30 west of South made no significant difference for KBDI. According to AntennaWeb the orientation for KBDI is 211 degrees and according to the FCC website, the KBDI analog and digital transmitters are on the same location (Squaw Mountain)

The AntennaWeb results are interesting, since the sCare people keep saying that Squaw Mountain is a wonderful alternative to Lookout Mountain(which I receive very well). The sCare people also conveniently ignored that KBDI was off the air for about a week last winter because of the power outage that effected the Squaw Mountain area. I don't think it got a lot of media attention either. I think power restoration would have gotten substantially higher priority and resources if it was Lookout Mountain which provides the vast majority of OTA TV and radio. I presume that Lookout Mountain is serviced by Xcel, and that they would put it just after hospitals, fire, and police on their priorities.
post #1085 of 8473 Old 06-20-2007, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

I was just curious if anyone gets the KBDI digital stations reliably from Louisville.

FWIW, I recall someone saying once that KBDI puts a truck up at the overlook on Davidson Mesa whenever they need to relay a signal BACK to Squaw Mtn. from Boulder. Which would say to me that you probably need to be fairly high up (or to the east) to get their signal reliably in Louisville.

post #1086 of 8473 Old 06-20-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:

I was just curious if anyone gets the KBDI digital stations reliably from Louisville. I went to AntennaWeb and gave it my address which is on Tamarisk CT just east of Washington and did not get a listing. I occasionally pick them up on my most sensitive tuner.

I also tried an address on Trail Ridge DR which overlooks Via Appia. That is only about a half mile south of me, but on the other side of the that ridge. The LCG stations are green for that address and violet for me. It didn't have a listing for KBDI digital either.

If you take a look at the attached coverage map, you'll see that your problem actually caused by Mount Tom blocking the signal from KBDI. The mountain casts a fairly long shadow covering a large area to the north and north-east of of the transmitter. You happen to be just inside the edge of that shadow.

Even though the signal is blocked, it still looks like there's enough signal left to receive the channel if you move your antenna to the roof. That will improve your signal strength enough so that you'd probably get the channel on all your receivers.

Best regards,
Andy
LL
post #1087 of 8473 Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.s.lee View Post

If you take a look at the attached coverage map, you'll see that your problem actually caused by Mount Tom blocking the signal from KBDI. The mountain casts a fairly long shadow covering a large area to the north and north-east of of the transmitter. You happen to be just inside the edge of that shadow.

Even though the signal is blocked, it still looks like there's enough signal left to receive the channel if you move your antenna to the roof. That will improve your signal strength enough so that you'd probably get the channel on all your receivers.

Best regards,
Andy

Thanks for the info. Can I ask where/how you got that coverage map.
post #1088 of 8473 Old 06-20-2007, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

The coverage map is from Andy's website, TVFool.com. It's much more sophisticated than antennaweb.com. Go to the "sticky" thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=821480 in the HDTV Reception Hardware forum of Avs for more info.
post #1089 of 8473 Old 06-21-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxothuk View Post

FWIW, I recall someone saying once that KBDI puts a truck up at the overlook on Davidson Mesa whenever they need to relay a signal BACK to Squaw Mtn. from Boulder. Which would say to me that you probably need to be fairly high up (or to the east) to get their signal reliably in Louisville.

As a former (long time ago) employee of KBDI, I can verify this statement. You cannot hit Squaw from Boulder with microwave, and the analog reception was so poor we had a translator in Boulder. Having been on the inside with the coverage from Squaw issue, I always shook my head when sCare called it a good alternative site.
post #1090 of 8473 Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

sCARE would say anything, truth or facts didn't make any difference.
post #1091 of 8473 Old 06-22-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

Geez, you make is sound like they might have an some motivation other than public safety.

This whole alternative site thing is such a bogus argument. No matter what site you chose there will be people living nearby.

John M
post #1092 of 8473 Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:

You also make it sound like sCARE actually knows any truth or facts.

Tim
post #1093 of 8473 Old 06-22-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

I take immense pleasure in the fact that the tower is actually going up and they pretty much got f*cked.
post #1094 of 8473 Old 06-22-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I just have an attic mounted antenna, but I recently installed a CM7777 and a new UHF antenna that I can easily swing +/- 30 degrees of South. Pointing it 30 west of South made no significant difference for KBDI. According to AntennaWeb the orientation for KBDI is 211 degrees and according to the FCC website, the KBDI analog and digital transmitters are on the same location (Squaw Mountain)

The AntennaWeb results are interesting, since the sCare people keep saying that Squaw Mountain is a wonderful alternative to Lookout Mountain(which I receive very well). The sCare people also conveniently ignored that KBDI was off the air for about a week last winter because of the power outage that effected the Squaw Mountain area. I don't think it got a lot of media attention either. I think power restoration would have gotten substantially higher priority and resources if it was Lookout Mountain which provides the vast majority of OTA TV and radio. I presume that Lookout Mountain is serviced by Xcel, and that they would put it just after hospitals, fire, and police on their priorities.

The coverage map shows it well, but I'm in Lafayette (Arapahoe Rd. between 95th and 287). I cannot get KDBI digital. My antenna is NOT on my roof, however, so I think it is possible that going on the roof may help (in the coverage map, my location looks like it is in the same color region as yours). I do get the led on my SIR-T150 to go from red to "blinking orage", but it needs to be green before it recognizes ANY signal strength (and even then it wouldn't actually get a picture until the signal strenght meter showed 4 or 5 bars of strength).

I do get the analog signal OK, so I do hold out some hope that I'll get it if they ever go to a higher power. But I also realize the 12 and 38 are quite diffferent frequencies, so even then it may not work.

Greg
post #1095 of 8473 Old 06-22-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

My 3000th post - WooHoo!

I was driving on 6th Ave today and saw quite a lot of activity on Lookout. Tractors and construction going on everywhere. They are moving ahead full speed! I wonder how long until we see the first bit of tower going up?
post #1096 of 8473 Old 06-22-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was driving on 6th Ave today and saw quite a lot of activity on Lookout. Tractors and construction going on everywhere. They are moving ahead full speed! I wonder how long until we see the first bit of tower going up?

We need a:
CAM! CAM! CAM!

Woodland Park/Divide
38° 57' 49"N 105° 05' 33"W - 8,900'

Enercept SIP Provider
post #1097 of 8473 Old 06-22-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'll ask the boys if they are considering that.
post #1098 of 8473 Old 06-22-2007, 01:15 PM

I recently started using Windows Media Center, with a digital tuner, to receive and record local digital television over the air. (Turns out I can get 9 digital OTA stations at my house North of Boulder - woo hoo!) The guide information in Windows Media Center for KRMA-DT is incorrect - the analog station schedule is being used rather than the digital. I understand Media Center gets guide data from Zap2it, and their web-site has both the analog and digital schedules for KRMA, so I don't know where the problem lies. I used the 80503 zip code when setting up the Media Center guide, if that makes any difference. Is anyone aware of this problem, and hopefully, how to fix it?
Thanks
post #1099 of 8473 Old 06-22-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'll ask the boys if they are considering that.

HDTVColorado.com says "This website will track the progress as the tower is built. " It seems to me 'the boys' already claim that they will do that, so I would just ask them to do what they said they would do on their website. Maybe they don't care about their public image and PR now that they have the congressional approval to proceed.

BTW Ernie, congratulations on your 3000'th post. I would bet that only about 2000 of those had to do with Colorado not having full power HD.

John M
post #1100 of 8473 Old 06-22-2007, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameTaken View Post

I understand Media Center gets guide data from Zap2it, and their web-site has both the analog and digital schedules for KRMA, so I don't know where the problem lies.

Very strange. I don't know too much about Windows MCE, but I do have a MythTV setup which also (for now) gets its listing data from Zap2it. And the listings I get for KRMA-DT are perfectly accurate (they don't have any listings for V-me as yet).

Do you have any way to check what XMLTV station ID is setup for KRMA-DT in Windows MCE? I have 10669 for KRMA analog, 21723 for KRMA-DT.

post #1101 of 8473 Old 06-22-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko View Post

HDTVColorado.com says "This website will track the progress as the tower is built. " It seems to me 'the boys' already claim that they will do that, so I would just ask them to do what they said they would do on their website. Maybe they don't care about their public image and PR now that they have the congressional approval to proceed.

I can tell you from experience, when you are full bore into a project like this, you don't have the time to think about things like updates because you are too busy getting on with the business at hand. Right now, they are up to their eyeballs.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #1102 of 8473 Old 06-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

My 3000th post - WooHoo!

Thanks for all you have contributed around here Ernie, it's people like you that make this place great.
Now get busy and ask your buddy to get some more of those cool helicopter photos!
post #1103 of 8473 Old 06-23-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

I got an email from the boys. Sorry, but no WebCam planned at the moment. Oh, well. If I get any more chopper shots, I'll pass them along.
post #1104 of 8473 Old 06-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got an email from the boys. Sorry, but no WebCam planned at the moment. Oh, well. If I get any more chopper shots, I'll pass them along.

It is great to hear that construction is well under way. I can understand why they would prefer not to display the construction to the scary world via webcam.

Out of curiosity, has the building permit been issued yet?

Don
post #1105 of 8473 Old 06-23-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by donyoop View Post

Out of curiosity, has the building permit been issued yet?

President Bush says they don't need one.
post #1106 of 8473 Old 06-23-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:

President Bush says they don't need one.

He says anyone with a DTV station construction permit can build. Is there anyone else with current plans to do so?

The FCC is not issuing licenses for new TV stations until the DTV transition is complete. Does the Act allow construction towers for new stations? I don't believe it contains an expiration date.

If you're interested in broadcasting technology, as are those here who have been following the saga, a webcam would be lots of fun. But, the remaining 'front rangers' couldn't care less about the tower.

--- CHAS

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
post #1107 of 8473 Old 06-24-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Some time back someone on this thread noted that they had tried out one of the USB connected ATSC tuners on their notebook computer. Has anyone tried one of these devices on a Mac? I'm looking at the Pinnacle TV for Mac HD Stick or the Elgato Systems EyeTV Hybrid, but both claim you need a G5 or better to view HDTV. I'm here with a lowly last of the Power Mac G4 MDDs, that seems to be a little under their system requirements for HDTV. Anyway, just wondering if anyone on this thread has run one of they HDTV USB devices on a Mac of lesser horsepower.
post #1108 of 8473 Old 06-24-2007, 10:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Some time back someone on this thread noted that they had tried out one of the USB connected ATSC tuners on their notebook computer. Has anyone tried one of these devices on a Mac? I'm looking at the Pinnacle TV for Mac HD Stick or the Elgato Systems EyeTV Hybrid, but both claim you need a G5 or better to view HDTV. I'm here with a lowly last of the Power Mac G4 MDDs, that seems to be a little under their system requirements for HDTV. Anyway, just wondering if anyone on this thread has run one of they HDTV USB devices on a Mac of lesser horsepower.

I have threatened to try one of those boards on a few occasions, but I am running on a 2.7 GHz G5 so I haven't looked at the issue. You might try asking the question on the AVS thread for MAC's.
HTPC---MAC Chat---AVS Forum

There are several threads on the subject there, and you should be able to find a quick answer from someone who has tried.

John M
post #1109 of 8473 Old 06-25-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:

CEBII,

I currently have the Migilia TVMini that I use with both my Macbook (2Ghz Core Duo) and Mac Mini. Works great with both of them at all HD resolutions. I did use the EyeTV with my G4 Powerbook, before I upgraded and it worked fine except for 1080i. I could watch and capture 720p with no problems, but 1080i was too much for it to handle. These are great devices to take with you while traveling to enjoy HD, especially since most of them don't require an external power adapter. Those telescoping antennas that come with them work surprisingly well too.

Steve
post #1110 of 8473 Old 06-28-2007, 04:55 PM

Liked: 14
Kudos to Channel 7. Traveler didn't have the audio sync issues at the start of the show as they had in previous weeks.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page