post #3331 of 13033 Old 05-05-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

For those either affected by or monitoring the recent DISH satellite 118 move and the loss of some local HD channels (mainly KTVI and KSDK) I find that today I have the two channels back without having a technician out. However, the signal level on Sat 118 transponder 18 is a mere 24. It WAS 0 since Monday 4/30. Transponder 11 is now 64 and WAS 57. So either they jacked up the signal or moved the satellite a little. With a signal level of 24 I'm probably on the edge and any sort of cloud cover will probably knock me out. Still, I do have all my local HD channels back. This makes a good case for me to get off my duff and install an OTA antenna.

A friend who also lost his local HD channels and has a visit scheduled for 5/8 was called by a DISH technician and asked a bunch of questions. The DISH guy said they had thousands of reports since the new 118 was moved and were trying to nail down whether they had thousands of misaligned dishes or some other problem. I'm guessing it's a little of both.

I suppose it's quite possible an antenna aiming issue. When you consider the "book" on aiming the 118° FSB LNB on the 500+ or 1000+ is simply peaking the dish on to 119°, and the first time technicians did any sort of mass install of these units in STL was when the HD locals went up on 118°, it's certainly a consideration.

OTOH, it is a bit odd, when you consider how many subscribers lost the signal from Tp18 after the move, most did not lose any signal at all.
That, coupled with, I have to think the "Dish Installer" saying there were "thousands of reports" is somewhat embellished, when you consider the entire national subscriber base of Dish (what...13-14m?), reduced by their subscriber base here in St. Louis, and then further reduced by the St Louis subscribers who have a MPEG4 receiver, and subscribe to the HD locals. In my conversations with Dish Engineering, I don't think the issue is quite that widespread.

Personally, I believe it is some sort of transmission issue, on Dish's end, which they will identify and fix, without the need of individual service calls to subscribers.

EDIT: I posted a question about this issue on DBSTalk on the 3rd....no replies, and there are plenty of STL members who read DBS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 13033 Old 05-05-2007, 07:47 PM

kdg454

Thanks for your continuing interest in this matter. I actually lost KTVI and KSDK again later this afternoon and haven't seen them since. I shall be interested in what happens with my friend's installation after his scheduled repair visit. Meanwhile I called in myself and was given a date of May 19 for my visit. Two full weeks! Even the service rep was surprised by how far out the first available slot was.
post #3333 of 13033 Old 05-05-2007, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

kdg454

Thanks for your continuing interest in this matter. I actually lost KTVI and KSDK again later this afternoon and haven't seen them since. I shall be interested in what happens with my friend's installation after his scheduled repair visit. Meanwhile I called in myself and was given a date of May 19 for my visit. Two full weeks! Even the service rep was surprised by how far out the first available slot was.

Goodness...one would sure hope they don't have to re-aim all the dish's...presuming the installers know how....it could still take months...ugh!

When the installer put my 1000+ in, he is the one who explained to me, the "book" method of peaking the dish. He also said he follows that guide, and then peaks that center dual-LNB a second time. Which I watched him do. Essentially, he moved it a bit closer to 118°, than 119°. Dunno if that had any effect, but it's working.

I never lost mine, but the signals did drop after the move.
Prior: Tp11@72; Tp18@68 (KDNL/KMOV)
After: Tp11@68; Tp18@52 (KSDK/KTVI)

Since the move, I am still having abnormal excessive break-ups on KTVI via SAT, that are not on OTA. Enough so, we've moved all the KTVI timers to OTA.

It's definitely a good idea you have to get OTA. Not only for this type of issue, but you also pick-up a 3rd timer on your 622, and the OTA PQ is a tad bit better.
post #3334 of 13033 Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry to bore with off-topic chatter, but I just wanted to close the loop on my ill-fated adventures with Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0.

After tiring of the long load times and huge memory drain, I uninstalled this beast this morning. For the record, it took 51 minutes for the uninstall process to complete. As it happens, a clean install of Windows XP can usually be done in just over 45 minutes. I think this is a good illustration of the unacceptable bloat Acrobat carries around with it.

Rather than fall back to Adobe Reader 7.0, which was also slow (though nowhere near as slow as Acrobat Pro), I did some research and found a freeware application called FoxItReader, which basically does one simple thing -- view PDF files -- and so far it seems to do it quickly and without errors.

Clicking the link here for the St. Louis Programming Guide and having the document viewable for reading in FoxItReader took less than 5 seconds. Even Reader 7.0 was taking well over 30 seconds to load.

Bye bye, bloatware...

Doug

Clearly Resolved Image & Sound
Lion AV Consultants
ISF & THX Video Calibration
Real-time Twitter Home Theater News
post #3335 of 13033 Old 05-06-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptheRemote View Post

Sorry to bore with off-topic chatter, but I just wanted to close the loop on my ill-fated adventures with Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0.

After tiring of the long load times and huge memory drain, I uninstalled this beast this morning. For the record, it took 51 minutes for the uninstall process to complete. As it happens, a clean install of Windows XP can usually be done in just over 45 minutes. I think this is a good illustration of the unacceptable bloat Acrobat carries around with it.

Rather than fall back to Adobe Reader 7.0, which was also slow (though nowhere near as slow as Acrobat Pro), I did some research and found a freeware application called FoxItReader, which basically does one simple thing -- view PDF files -- and so far it seems to do it quickly and without errors.

Clicking the link here for the St. Louis Programming Guide and having the document viewable for reading in FoxItReader took less than 5 seconds. Even Reader 7.0 was taking well over 30 seconds to load.

Bye bye, bloatware...

I'll say it again ... the problem is with Windows, not Adobe.

Acrobat 8, and in fact the entire new CS3 Suite, screams on my Macs -- older PPC G5 and my Intel MacBook Pro.

Unix of any flavor > Windoze

edit: forgot smileys
post #3336 of 13033 Old 05-06-2007, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Bye bye, bloatware...

Thanks for the tip, Doug. I didn't bother uninstalling Adobe Reader, just added FoxItReader and told it to be the default reader for pdf files. Amazing speed.

Joe Clark

post #3337 of 13033 Old 05-06-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

Acrobat 8, and in fact the entire new CS3 Suite, screams on my Macs -- older PPC G5 and my Intel MacBook Pro.

Could it be that it's Adobe's implementation of Reader on Windows, rather than Windows itself? FoxItReader screams on Windows (thanks again, Doug). I haven't opened a single pdf file on my system that takes more than 2 seconds to open; most are almost instantaneous. And I have some long pdf files I've just opened with FoxItReader.

Joe Clark

post #3338 of 13033 Old 05-06-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

Here's a smiley for you...

Adobe Acrobat Reader used to have more than acceptable speed (versions 5.0 and 6.0) on Windows XP, but things have gotten progressively worse with each new version released by Adobe. No other Windows application even comes close to this sort of problem. Firefox, loaded with a half dozen extensions, can actually take a while to load up, but it's easily 10 times faster to load than Acrobat Pro.

You can also find plenty of reviews that cite the the poor performance of Adobe 8.0.

The fact that the Adobe uninstall process had to spend more than 20 minutes just tracking down all the files and registry entries it littered onto my hard drive tells me all I need to know -- this product has gone from being a useful tool to a bloated, self-important turd.

No more Adobe software for me.

Doug

Lion AV Consultants
post #3339 of 13033 Old 05-06-2007, 01:23 PM

I've recently been using PrimoPDF quite a bit to create pdf files. Once you install it, it appears as one of your printers. So when you print a document to the PrimoPDF "printer," it saves it as a pdf. Pretty handy and extremely easy to use.
post #3340 of 13033 Old 05-06-2007, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

mgr_stl,

PDF995 works in a similar way.

Not sure if what you're using is freeware or shareware, but PDF995 is free (if you don't mind a nag screen suggesting an upgrade whenever you print to a PDF file).

I've been using PDF995 to create PDFs of customer reports, written in Word with Excel embedded objects, and this has been a foolproof way to convert those complex documents into lightweight, read-only attachments.

The only big downside for PDF995 is that it can't be used to save PDF forms, such as federal and state tax documents. That's about the only time I find a need for something more functional for PDFs, and that's the main reason that I did a trial of Acrobat 8.0.

If FoxItReader delivers the goods over the next few months, I'll consider buying the version that allows authoring and saving of forms.

Doug

Lion AV Consultants
post #3341 of 13033 Old 05-06-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I need to amend my previous statement about the speed of FoxItReader. I said I hadn't found any file that took more than 2 seconds to load. Actually, after playing around a little more, I discovered that I couldn't finish a count of "a thousand one" before *any* pdf loaded. This includes files over 150 pages in length. Gotta love it.

Joe Clark

post #3342 of 13033 Old 05-06-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a smiley for you...

The fact that the Adobe uninstall process had to spend more than 20 minutes just tracking down all the files and registry entries it littered onto my hard drive

Yes you can blame Adobe. But registry entries is a Windows necessity, and the worst thing about that OS.

Anyhow ... back to TV.
post #3343 of 13033 Old 05-06-2007, 05:54 PM

I just got a Motorola HD-DVR box from Charter a few days ago, and I was wondering if I needed to go into the service menu to make sure it is outputting in 1080i? I seem to remember that with the regular HD boxes, this was sometimes an issue. If I have to do it, can anyone help me figure out how to get to this menu?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Brian
post #3344 of 13033 Old 05-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yes, it's important to make sure your Moxi is outputting at 1080i. I've had two Moxi's and both times the technician did not bother to set the output. I have 1080i, 720P, 480P and 480i checked. You are supposed to check all formats that your display can handle. If you don't think your HD picture is very good, then it's a good bet your output is not set correctly. On my Moxi I can find the output settings by pushing the Moxi button, then "settings", then "HD settings".
post #3345 of 13033 Old 05-06-2007, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

brezz,

You weren't clear if you have the MOXI or the other Charter DVR.

On the other non-DVR Motorola boxes that Charter uses for HD receivers, you access the resolution settings by turning off the power and pressing and holding the Menu key on the front panel until the menu comes up. From there you just navigate to the setting you want to change.

Not sure if the non-MOXI Charter DVR works this way, but it's worth a try if that's what you have.

Doug

Lion AV Consultants
post #3346 of 13033 Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:

brezz,

You weren't clear if you have the MOXI or the other Charter DVR.

On the other non-DVR Motorola boxes that Charter uses for HD receivers, you access the resolution settings by turning off the power and pressing and holding the Menu key on the front panel until the menu comes up. From there you just navigate to the setting you want to change.

Not sure if the non-MOXI Charter DVR works this way, but it's worth a try if that's what you have.

Thanks for the help. I have the Motorola HD-DVR and your tip worked. Everything was set fine, so no problems. Just like to double check. Thanks again.

Brian
post #3347 of 13033 Old 05-06-2007, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the HD production of the Cardinals game was very good today.
I watched it entirely on the Dish SAT feed, and don't recall any audio or video blurbs.

Randolph still rudely interrupting Horton, mid-sentence, is getting quite annoying. It's obvious he cannot keep pace with engineering in one ear, Horton in the other, and call the game. IMO, he's an embarrassment. I think Katie Felts would have been a better choice.

Though, KSKD did a good job. The cuts to Cusumono were smooth and well timed.

OT (oddly enough), I'm thinkin' Jared has 2 daughters by now...last Tuesday was the scheduled day.
Hope all is well!
post #3348 of 13033 Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Discovery Announces Plan to Add 6 HD Channels

The following is from today's TV Predictions newsletter:

Discovery, which launched Discovery HD Theater five years ago next month, plans to launch four new High-Definition TV network this fall. That's according to an article in Adweek Magazine.

Discovery tells the publication that it will launch high-def simulcasts of Animal Planet, TLC, The Science Channel and the company's main network, Discovery Channel.

Then, in the first quarter of 2008, Discovery says it will add two more high-def channels.

"Having established first-mover advantage in the HD space with Discovery HD Theater, this is a step toward growing that leadership," Discovery president and CEO David Zaslav told the publication.

To read the full story, click here

Doug

Lion AV Consultants
post #3349 of 13033 Old 05-07-2007, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Digeo Slashes DVR Pricing to Cable Companies

Not sure what this will mean for Charter, which recently began selling a vanilla DVR not based on Digeo's MOXI.

From today's TV Predictions newsletter:

Facing stiff competition from larger rivals, Digeo says it will cut the price of its Moxi HD DVR to cable operators by one-third.

That's according to an article in Multichannel News.

The publication reports that Digeo CEO Mike Fidler says the new pricing will now be similar to what's charged by set-tops makers Scientific-Atlanta and Motorola. (Cable set-top manufacturers charge cable operators a licensing fee for each unit.)

Recognizing that the market is very competitive, we're trying to make sure we offer a product that is appealing and drives the right economics, Fidler told Multichannel News.

Digeo has struggled to expand its cable reach with just 400,000 subscribers with eight cable TV operators, according to the publication. Motorola and Scientific-Atlanta, which is now owned by Cisco, has millions of subscribers.

Digeo also plans to launch a retail HD DVR later this year. Fidler says the set-top will have enough capacity to store 1,000 hours of video and provide Web-based scheduling.

Doug

Lion AV Consultants
post #3350 of 13033 Old 05-07-2007, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdg454 View Post

I thought the HD production of the Cardinals game was very good today. I watched it entirely on the Dish SAT feed, and don't recall any audio or video blurbs.

Randolph still rudely interrupting Horton, mid-sentence, is getting quite annoying. It's obvious he cannot keep pace with engineering in one ear, Horton in the other, and call the game. IMO, he's an embarrassment. I think Katie Felts would have been a better choice.

Though, KSKD did a good job. The cuts to Cusumono were smooth and well timed.

I agree -- KSDK did a nice job on the game. I agree that Randolph is a waste of time, but then he's got plenty of company on the list of local broadcasters I'd like to see come down with permanent laryngitis.

BTW, the crews that do the game are the same as for FSNMW (and KPLR in years past) -- Bud Sports. I saw the credit flash by at the end of the game.

Doug

Lion AV Consultants
post #3351 of 13033 Old 05-07-2007, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OT (oddly enough), I'm thinkin' Jared has 2 daughters by now...last Tuesday was the scheduled day. Hope all is well!

deuces, I hope that everything went well and that you're managing at least a few hours of sleep a night.

You know it just occurred to me this morning that it is more than somewhat ironic that someone whose Forum ID is deuces would be having twins. I'm pretty sure "deuces" was your screen ID long before you knew what was in store on the instant family front.

So, maybe now would be a good time to drop "deuces" and switch to "Powerball Winner."

Doug

Lion AV Consultants
post #3352 of 13033 Old 05-07-2007, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

I expect the repair kit for my parents RP CRT HDTV to arrive tomorrow. In the event that I cannot fix it they have begun looking at new TV's.

They have 3 main requirements:
Cost - Less than $2000 (they just spent $20K on a new retaining wall and landscaping)

Size - Current screen is 53", they don't want to go smaller

Anti-Glare - The position of the TV means it get's a lot of sunshine in the early afternoon. The current Hitachi RP CRT is almost a mirror at times.

They are perfectly happy with 720P/1080i and do not need 1080P.

I've been looking at some of the new DLP models(unfortunately the Samsung LED model is a little high)

Mom went to Best Buy and they tried to sell her an LCD.
Any recommendations?

Thanks
Dave
post #3353 of 13033 Old 05-07-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post

Yes, it's important to make sure your Moxi is outputting at 1080i. I've had two Moxi's and both times the technician did not bother to set the output. I have 1080i, 720P, 480P and 480i checked. You are supposed to check all formats that your display can handle. If you don't think your HD picture is very good, then it's a good bet your output is not set correctly. On my Moxi I can find the output settings by pushing the Moxi button, then "settings", then "HD settings".

Haha...this, and few similar problems, is why/how I found out about this board....to fix all the crap that Charter couldn't/wouldn't! Year and half later, I have D*.
post #3354 of 13033 Old 05-07-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI - on my Direct HR20 experiences.

Install went smooth. No problem. They left both dishes in place per "policy" - guess I'll get up on the roof in a week or two and pull down the 3 LNB.

I'll start with the bad, because there isn't much. Really the only "bad" I have found is the 'trickplay' of FF/RW/JUMP etc is not quite as "smooth" during live video as it was on the HDTivo. Also, channel changing is a bit slow.. not too bad, but a little slow.

With that said, the picture is geat. Significant improvement in shadow detail, clarity, consistency, etc over the HDTivo. Also no banding which was getting progressively worse on my Tivo. The MPEG-4 locals are pretty dang good. Good enough that the season passes are setup on these versus OTA to save the HD space.

Spent an hour educating my wife and myself on the menu setups, the shortcuts, the guide, etc. Did a couple quick 'hidden' settings from dbstalk to change the guide and scrolling behavior. The end result - we both like it better than the HDTivo. Its faster, easier to navigate, and quicker to get down to business. After a weekend of use, going back to the bedroom Tivo you start to feel like the Tivo's cutesy-ness gets in the way. It feels like 'fluff'.

Anyhow - we are happy with the HR20. We'll see if we start having any of the record problems others talk about, but as of now I would rate it very high.

Chris

Hmmm....
post #3355 of 13033 Old 05-07-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Digeo Slashes DVR Pricing to Cable Companies

Not sure what this will mean for Charter, which recently began selling a vanilla DVR not based on Digeo's MOXI.

From today's TV Predictions newsletter:

Facing stiff competition from larger rivals, Digeo says it will cut the price of its Moxi HD DVR to cable operators by one-third.

That's according to an article in Multichannel News.

The publication reports that Digeo CEO Mike Fidler says the new pricing will now be similar to what's charged by set-tops makers Scientific-Atlanta and Motorola. (Cable set-top manufacturers charge cable operators a licensing fee for each unit.)

Recognizing that the market is very competitive, we're trying to make sure we offer a product that is appealing and drives the right economics, Fidler told Multichannel News.

Digeo has struggled to expand its cable reach with just 400,000 subscribers with eight cable TV operators, according to the publication. Motorola and Scientific-Atlanta, which is now owned by Cisco, has millions of subscribers.

Digeo also plans to launch a retail HD DVR later this year. Fidler says the set-top will have enough capacity to store 1,000 hours of video and provide Web-based scheduling.

Isn't Diego owned by that same Microsoft dude who owns Charter? Do I have someone mixed up? I wanna say Paul Allen, but I'm not sure I'm thinking along the correct lines here
post #3356 of 13033 Old 05-07-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes - it is the same Paul Allen.

Its become clear over the years that he must not have been the brains, or the business sense behind Microsoft. He's run more companies, basketball teams, and other ventures into the ground than anyone with $10 billion should be allowed - but I guess if you have $10 billion you have that luxury...
Those of use with 1 or 2 billion just can't throw it away like he does...

Chris

Hmmm....
post #3357 of 13033 Old 05-07-2007, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What's even more interesting about Paul Allen is that he's funding some major research on the workings of the human brain. Here's a link to the story announcing his formation of the Allen Institute of Brain Science, back in 2003:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_107806762

So I wonder, is there any risk that human brain development can be reversed (if a certain someone throws enough money at it)?

Doug

Lion AV Consultants
post #3358 of 13033 Old 05-07-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

What's even more interesting about Paul Allen is that he's funding some major research on the workings of the human brain..

Maybe he believes there is some hope for him...
post #3359 of 13033 Old 05-07-2007, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's even more interesting about Paul Allen is that he's funding some major research on the workings of the human brain. Here's a link to the story announcing his formation of the Allen Institute of Brain Science, back in 2003:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_107806762

So I wonder, is there any risk that human brain development can be reversed (if a certain someone throws enough money at it)?

Something tells me this foundation will suffer from poor customer service, an irrational pricing structure, and ultimately will trail its competition due to charging more for a lesser service.

I dunno why I think this... just a hunch...

Chris

Hmmm....
post #3360 of 13033 Old 05-07-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Cinemax HD is now live on Dish, and available to subscribers.
It is located on channel 9458, and also mapped down to channel 310.

Yes, and what a nice surprise to find that in my dish line-up Friday night. But why do this new channel, and many other HD Channels, appear in two places? Is this temporary while Dish consolodates the HD to appear next to the SD version? Or is it a permanent nuisance?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page