Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 13037 Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post

There are two stores in the area that may be better in terms of pricing.
Skywalker Communications
9390 Veterans Memorial Pkwy
O'Fallon, MO 63366
(800) 844-9555
(314) 272-8025
Fax (314) 272-8214

Antennas Direct
1699 West 5th Street - Suite F
Eureka, MO 63025
877-825-5572

You may want to check out the hardware forum for joined antennas. 40 degree difference...ouch! Did you check just for UHF or all of them? There is a radio button for displaying UHF only at antennaweb.org

I know Skywalker accepts returns and two CM 4221's may do the trick. They are 4 bay mid-range. Last time I checked they were a mere $20 each. I have not tried this as one works fine for me. I'd read up at the hardware forum here at AVS.

I second Mo's recommendations. I'm in Webster as well, and have experimented with over a dozen makes and types of antenna's (amateur radio operator). My spread is from 140 degrees to 195 degrees, a fifty degree spread from KMOV to KETC. Counting WRBU at 205 degrees, that makes a sixty degree spread... KDNL, ony 4 km/2.5 miles away blasts me with a 126 DbU/2047 mv/M signal, and the other majors in Shrewsbury are not much lower in level. Front end overload means amplifiers of any kind are a no-no. The 4221 or the Antennas Direct DB4 will both work well. I have also bought directly from both places, and have had good experiences. I have two DB4's indoors as interior antennas, facing south, (flatter back for wall mounting when original mounting hardware is removed), and both pick up WRBU-DT! For outdoor use, the CM 4221 is superior. Just mount it on a simple 5 foot push up pole facing south (vent pipe mount from RS), aim it at maybe 185 degrees from your location, and turn it east until you lose KETC/WRBU. 185 is halfway between KMOV and KETC/KTVI. At that point, turn it 5 degrees back west to assure lock in bad weather, and you're done (assuming all other precautions, grounding, etc, etc..).

Mounting an outdoor antenna is a two man job for safety. Stay away from the power and phone lines.

The RS U-75R also works ok, and it's $25. Very simple to mount outdoors. Did that for Mom in St. Louis Hills, right under the towers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 13037 Old 01-28-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLCossack View Post

Greetings all,

I recently discovered this forum and would appreciate some antenna advice on receiving OTA analog and digital. I'm in northern Webster Groves (near Summit and Marshall). Here's the antennaweb data on the stations I'd like to pick up:

Antenna Call Chan Netwk Comp Miles Freq
Type Sign degrees
yellow-UHF KDNL-DT 30.1 ABC 166 1.7 31
" KPLR-DT 11.1 CW 164 2.3 26
" KSDK-DT 5.1 NBC 174 2.5 35
red-VHF KETC 9 PBS 201 9.1 9
" KMOV 4 CBS 159 5.6 4
" KSDK 5 NBC 174 2.5 5
" KPLR 11 CW 159 5.6 11
" KTVI 2 FOX 202 5.2 2
red-UHF KTVI-DT 2.1 FOX 202 5.2 43
" KDNL 30 ABC 166 1.7 30
blue-UHF KMOV-DT 4.1 CBS 159 5.6 56
violet-UHF KETC-DT 9.1 PBS 201 9.1 39

I am interested in getting both analog and digital because it may be a while before I finish assembling the HD components for the Windows MCE PC-based system I am putting together, and I will also be running a coax to a TV without an HD tuner. Also, we listen to a lot of FM and since my inside dipole rig is not working very well, the outside FM antenna would be a bonus.

My target stations are within 40 degrees of one another and all are within 10 miles of my location. I am a little surprised something in the "large directional" category is recommended by antennaweb for this location, but I want to get whatever I'll need to do the job and don't have problems with putting something big and/or ugly on the roof. (I'm not sure about the spouse's opinion on that, but I'll seek forgiveness rather than permission if there's an issue.) I don't have an attic option with this house. I'd like to stay away from a rotor. I currently have no antenna as we recently disconnected DishNetwork. I hope to use the coax and roof mount left from that installation with the new setup.

On the SolidSignal site, I found a "medium directional" UHF/VHF unit, the Winegard HD7080P, that is listed as having a 40 degree beamwidth. There is also a "large directional" unit, the Winegard PR7037 Prostar, which is listed as having a 35 degree beamwidth. Other large UHF/VHF antennas, including the Channel Master models, have narrower beamwidths.

Am I on the right track? Is the SolidSignal beamwidth information accurate/relevant? Would it make sense to select a medium directional antenna with wider beamwidth over a large directional unit in order to cover the 40 degree arc? Would I be better off to consider a two-antenna configuration and, if so, with what antennas? Any observations, thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Tom

On the FM, a dedicated, seperate, outdoor FM antenna is your best option. With new cable to match. Sorry.
post #333 of 13037 Old 01-28-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSDO View Post

Agreed. My point was that its SD. And that OTA is a good option.

Now this sounds like a great idea. I like Tapawingo also. The only problem is that I am a horrific golfer so if you folks are hard core then I might be makin' some enemies. Otherwise if you can stand me....count me in!!

This does sound like a great idea.....I'm pretty new to the forums but enjoy a round of golf....especially with many refreshments and cart girls....
post #334 of 13037 Old 01-28-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckparr View Post

OK, back to my original question from last night---they don't look the same as someone has suggested. The SD broadcast as viewed on the HD channel number is clearer and sharper than the picture quality on the SD channel. Why is this?

I get the impression that Charter degrades PQ on some SD channels (those under 100, as far as I can tell) through compression, while leaving every channel above 100, including the HD channels, relatively less compressed, thereby creating better picture quality.
post #335 of 13037 Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSplice View Post

On the FM, a dedicated, seperate, outdoor FM antenna is your best option. With new cable to match. Sorry.

Thanks MO, Dan, PinkSplice for the advice. It looks like I can pick up both a 4221 and an outdoor FM antenna at Skywalkers. I think I will try an inside UHF/VHF antenna while I'm trying to get the PC, tuners and antenna to talk to each other, and worry about adding outside VHF later. Also PinkSplice thanks for the tips on aiming.

Tom
post #336 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLCossack View Post

Thanks MO, Dan, PinkSplice for the advice. It looks like I can pick up both a 4221 and an outdoor FM antenna at Skywalkers. I think I will try an inside UHF/VHF antenna while I'm trying to get the PC, tuners and antenna to talk to each other, and worry about adding outside VHF later. Also PinkSplice thanks for the tips on aiming.

Tom

I forgot to add my usual note about tilt. Try tilting the roof mounted antenna up. I heard 3-5 degrees is recommended but mine is more like 20 degrees (if not more). I have multi-path issues so the tilt helps a lot. Others here have said this recommendation helped them as well. Just start off with a few degrees and take it from there.

Let us know what worked for you.

Edit: You want to see if there are any FM stations near you. If so, an inline FM trap from Radio Shack can help. I don't know of an antennaweb type site for this. Instead I used Google for my zip code.

Vizio M602i-B3
post #337 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 08:13 AM

Liked: 11
Anybody in St. Peters able to get CBS HD in OTA. I bought a $40 Phillips amplified indoor antenna but nothing. I did borrow my friends ATI OTA Tuner card and hooked up that antenna a while back and got it in. But then I moved it for some crazy reason and can't get it back. I can't even get it with the mammoth antenna we have in the attic. I guess I'll just pray when Sunday comes, 784 will magically come in. Big thanks to Charter and Bel Corp!!
post #338 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 08:26 AM

Here is a link to the old thread where wonderstud1000 used a Radio Shack U75R ($24) with good results in St. Peters.

Good luck,
Token
post #339 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSuellentrop View Post

Anybody in St. Peters able to get CBS HD in OTA. I bought a $40 Phillips amplified indoor antenna but nothing. I did borrow my friends ATI OTA Tuner card and hooked up that antenna a while back and got it in. But then I moved it for some crazy reason and can't get it back. I can't even get it with the mammoth antenna we have in the attic. I guess I'll just pray when Sunday comes, 784 will magically come in. Big thanks to Charter and Bel Corp!!

I didn't try today but it was fine last night. I recorded Cold Case.

Edit: I use an outdoor DB8 Antenna.

There's Good TV, Better TV and DirecTV, but nothing beats a calibrated TV!!
www.clearlyresolved.com
post #340 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 08:44 AM

I just switched from Charter to D* last week. So far, knock on wood, one week in and no problems with the H20.

This is also my first time expirementing with OTA HD as my TV is an "HDTV monitor" and has no atsc tuner.

I am using a huge old attic antenna that was there when I bought the house. After hooking it up I can pick up 2.1, 4.1, 5.1 and 5.2...no go for any of the PBS's, 11's or abc. I might buy an amp and see if I can get the rest.

Also, antennaweb ahsn't worked well for me at all.

I think the OTA channels are pretty sweet, I am surprised how good they look. They are slightly better than D* local HD's. Barely noticable. In fact I didn't even see a difference until I was watching the PGA-thingy on Saturday.
post #341 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank goodness for unencrypted networks. Mine is down but I found one in the neighborhood. First time I've seen it.

The Buick was awesome yesterday. They all went into the tank when Tiger eagled 9. They still need to worship him. Since he turned pro, 5th place gets as much as 1st play BTW (before tiger woods ).

I am up for a round. What's this about spring. I have a cover and heater. I will play if the temp is 30 with no wind. If the wind is blowing, 40 is my limit.

Automatic presses don't start until I am 2 down.

Speaking of caddies. There is a club in Detroit called the Landing Strip (like PTs). I had a friend who rep'd a robot company in the area. He invited me several times to play in the tournament. I never made it. The pictures of the caddies were teriffic. Now its too late. I don't notice those kinds of caddies any more and when I do, its hard .......to remember why I enjoyed it so much.

Walt
post #342 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

MoinSTL

My Yagi is pointed a few degrees above the horizontal and I got much better reception with the slight tilt then before I had the tilt.

Cheers,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #343 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 09:23 AM

Well, sorry it has been a while I was out of town. But for informative purposes, I gave up on a 3rd split for my current antenna in Ofallon, IL and bought a DB4 from antennasdirect. I took it to the attic and had no problem finding signals, I did find if I raised it by about 5 feet (lucky to have a tall attic) then the signal strength was much better. I hung it by two clothes hangers, I will be returning the $20 antenna mount. I am actually using the new DB4 for my split signal to 2 receivers and the old antenna left to the remaining receiver as the new DB4 seems to have better signal. I know this was the "weak way out" (thanks Ken), but it worked for me and for anyone curious DB4 worked perfect just North of Ofallon, IL. I don't know my elevation but would not have wanted to be lower based on the difference that 5 feet made.

Doug calibrated my new Panny plasma last week before he left town. I am more astounded with the results than on my NEC plasma. He told me the Panny would get a better picture simply because the current technology is better than when my NEC was made. I still highly recommend calibration for anyone on the fence. My wife walked into the room when Doug was finished and Doug and I had American Idol on (it was the best HD on at the time, no offense to those who like it, Doug included). My wife said "Wow, it looks like that girl is standing in the corner singing." This was even in the Dish HD local which has been documented here to have slightly lower PQ than the OTA (I agree). My wife has grown to notice the slight difference and she said "and that is even on the Sat local instead of the antenna." At any rate, I could not be happier with our current PQ and would again refer anyone even slightly interested to Doug and strongly urge them to have their display calibrated. I am having a few friends over Sunday and can't wait to see if I get any comments.

I can't think of a signature that wouldn't offend at least someone.
post #344 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tucker View Post

You don't use the same input for OTA and SAT?

Yeah, Tiger is going to be tough to beat coming in. I'm loving seeing Torrey Pines in HD.

Scott

The way my receiver is set up, I use "TV/SAT" for audio via Charter & another input for audio via OTA.
post #345 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSDO View Post

Dial 1-800-Get-Charter, listen to the prompts, and press the button for "cancel service". You will get a fast, courteous, understanding friend on the line faster than you can say D*.

It's 1-888 (not 800).
post #346 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki View Post

It's 1-888 (not 800).

Oops. Good catch. Edit done
post #347 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm in on the golf outing if invited. I shoot high 80s/low 90s, but haven't played since November.

Perhaps we could get Channel 5 to cover it so it would be on the HD news. They could tab it..."actual definition." Who's organizing this thing anyway?

Please tell me the golfers here also use lastminutegolfer.com

I'm confused too.

post #348 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki View Post

It's 1-888 (not 800).

210 - 220...what ever it takes.

www.clearlyresolved.com
post #349 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 10:43 AM

could somebody clear something up for me? I'm still new to D*....

They broadcast FSNMW-HD games on 95 or 96 right? I thought last Friday's game was in HD, but I couldn't find it. Were they just doing that for Cards games and not Blues games? Did I miss something?
post #350 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Jeff View Post

could somebody clear something up for me? I'm still new to D*....

They broadcast FSNMW-HD games on 95 or 96 right? I thought last Friday's game was in HD, but I couldn't find it. Were they just doing that for Cards games and not Blues games? Did I miss something?

They don't broadcast ALL FSNMW-HD on 95. If there is a higher profile game in another market, or a Basketball game, sometimes hockey isn't carried. I think it also has to do with the origination of the broadcast (ie FSNMW or FSN-Southwest).

For a few games the blues were on 95. Unfortunately, 95 won't stay in your guide, so you may just have to tune in to find out.
Dug
post #351 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81 View Post

I'm in on the golf outing if invited. I shoot high 80s/low 90s, but haven't played since November.

Perhaps we could get Channel 5 to cover it so it would be on the HD news. They could tab it..."actual definition." Who's organizing this thing anyway?

Well I can only speak for myself but why put old fatmen in HD and a widescreen when a two inch black and white will work J/K.
post #352 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeside View Post

LOL.

BTW, my understanding of the *s is becuase E* = Echostar. People started typing D* for DirecTV, but it doesn't make sense, really. After a while, people came to accept D* for DirecTV. I remember many complaining about it on the TiVoCommunity forum.

Also, at the time, P*=Primestar, and A*=Alphastar. With DTV being used for digital TV, DirecTV had no good abbreviation. (Or USSB for that matter, but I don't remember anyone abbreviating that.)
post #353 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 11:10 AM

Can any of you point me to a technically savvy Sat installer for HD Dish, FTA, OTA in West County. Redirects to appropriate threads/site appreciated.
post #354 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow! Droptheremote is going to come out of hibernation to find he is in The Golf Channel Forums.

Scott
post #355 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81 View Post

I just wanted to say thanks for being the "organizer."

Scott
post #356 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget the Cards games will be on KSDK this year, too.

www.clearlyresolved.com
post #357 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 12:46 PM

OK I'm confused. I've had it with Charter. Spent over an hour on the phone with them the other day trying to figure out why a couple of my HD channels don't get the sound. I haven't watched CSI(any of them) or any of the other shows on 4 that I normally do as I got so use to watching them in HD that I can't bare to watch the SD feed of them. I'll catch up when they run them again over summer.

Anyway, I called DTV up and asked which of my local channels they cary in HD. They replied Fox, ABC, CBS and NBC. What about PBS and CW? The csr said that with some update that he thought was out, I should be able to pick those up with an OTA antenna attached to the box and could record those stations as well with the dvr. He couldn't say for sure if that were the case so I figured I'd ask here before I call to give Charter the good news that I'm taking my $150 a month elsewhere.

thanks
post #358 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall316 View Post

OK I'm confused. I've had it with Charter. Spent over an hour on the phone with them the other day trying to figure out why a couple of my HD channels don't get the sound. I haven't watched CSI(any of them) or any of the other shows on 4 that I normally do as I got so use to watching them in HD that I can't bare to watch the SD feed of them. I'll catch up when they run them again over summer.

Anyway, I called DTV up and asked which of my local channels they cary in HD. They replied Fox, ABC, CBS and NBC. What about PBS and CW? The csr said that with some update that he thought was out, I should be able to pick those up with an OTA antenna attached to the box and could record those stations as well with the dvr. He couldn't say for sure if that were the case so I figured I'd ask here before I call to give Charter the good news that I'm taking my $150 a month elsewhere.

thanks

You can connect an antenna to any HD Directv box to pull in the locals in HD. Make the switch, and you won't regret it.

Scott
post #359 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:

thanks

yes, the rep is correct.
post #360 of 13037 Old 01-29-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks

The HR20 that is out is the new D* HD DVR. There was a release that came out before Christmas
that enabled the OTA input so you can now get the local channels via OTA in addition to the 4 big networks via SAT.

There was an update to the software last night, but that has nothing to do with anything in this conversation. It was a bug fix update with no new features.

Let me know if you need anything else.

www.clearlyresolved.com
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page