3Likes

post #361 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Left Jeff, are you STL FAN?

There's Good TV, Better TV and DirecTV, but nothing beats a calibrated TV!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 01:36 PM

I got my HR20 upgrade this weekend from Directv.
I was a little leary at first but I have to give Premier Communications credit for doing an excellent job.
The installer called 3 hours prior to confirm and showed up right on time.

I only added a HR20 so they only had to swap for a new Slimline dish and multswitch.
The whole process only took about 1 1/2 hours.

I haven't had a chance to use the HR20 much yet for recording but the guide speed is definitely pleasing
It took me almost 2 hours to figure out how to program the remote to control the AV volume in TV mode
The on screem instructions weren't very clear.

Thanks for convicing me to take the plunge

Token
post #363 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSuellentrop View Post

Anybody in St. Peters able to get CBS HD in OTA. I bought a $40 Phillips amplified indoor antenna but nothing. I did borrow my friends ATI OTA Tuner card and hooked up that antenna a while back and got it in. But then I moved it for some crazy reason and can't get it back. I can't even get it with the mammoth antenna we have in the attic. I guess I'll just pray when Sunday comes, 784 will magically come in. Big thanks to Charter and Bel Corp!!

I have no problem at all. I would take that antenna back and go to Skywalker and get a better one for less money. I had mine mounted on the roof at my old house next to my dish. It was a small wing looking antenna and was only like 2ft wide and attached to a dish mount. I now live a block and a half away and threw rabbit ears on my TV and got ch 4. I did that as a hold over until I get my plasma and new surround sound done.
post #364 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
KDG### or anyone else, does Dish network do retention deals like D*? I have a buddy that just got a new 1080p set and I'm trying to convince him to get the VIP622 and at least the bronze package...He is balking at the monthly cost going up from what they are paying now. I saw on the E* site there is a $200 credit for new HD subs, can existing get this by threatening to leave?
Thanks
Dug
post #365 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschultz View Post

Left Jeff, are you STL FAN?

laugh..no..i saw that question on dbstalk as well. not me.

I wanted to answer him, but for whatever reason when I went to register an account my work computer's stupid security software wouldn't let me.
post #366 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tucker View Post

BTW, anyone know why HR10-250's are selling for so freakin' much on Ebay? Some used ones are bringing $400 plus. I've seen NIB ones bring over $900. What gives?

Scott

Wow. No kidding? I'm getting my 2 HR10-250s switched to HR20s in Thursday and only have to return one HR10 (I own the other). That $400 could cover exactly what I need to trade up to a camera lens I want. Guess I'll put it up for sale.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #367 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwette View Post

Wow. No kidding? I'm getting my 2 HR10-250s switched to HR20s in Thursday and only have to return one HR10 (I own the other). That $400 could cover exactly what I need to trade up to a camera lens I want. Guess I'll put it up for sale.

Absolutely, check fleabay. These things are selling like hotcakes for some reason. Good luck.

Scott
post #368 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 03:27 PM

And the OTA HD feed going into the HR20 can be recorded using the dvr as well? Meaning those HD channels and subchannels that Dtv does not provide will show up in my programming guide and I can schedule shows to record?

Sorry for the questions, but you would not believe the day I've had with uninformed csr's from both Dtv and Charter. It's enough to make me not want to watch tv anymore.
post #369 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Hall316,

AFAIK you the channels will show up and yes you can treat them like any other channel as far as recording. Don't take this as gospel however because I don't have one to check for you. You can find out fairly quickly by reading posts on DBSTALK.com.

Scott
post #370 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall316 View Post

And the OTA HD feed going into the HR20 can be recorded using the dvr as well? Meaning those HD channels and subchannels that Dtv does not provide will show up in my programming guide and I can schedule shows to record?

Sorry for the questions, but you would not believe the day I've had with uninformed csr's from both Dtv and Charter. It's enough to make me not want to watch tv anymore.

yes you can record ota channels..in fact you can record 2 ota channels at once...
post #371 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 06:45 PM

Is anyone else not receiving a signal from KSDK OTA digital tonight? Everything else is crystal and I cannot get it.

Edit: I have a signal strength of 100 on 2 different antennas and 2 different E* receivers, but it won't pull in the channel?

I can't think of a signature that wouldn't offend at least someone.
post #372 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I guess I spoke to soon regarding audio/video dropouts with the HR10-250 Tivo on OTA 2.1 Fox KTVI. Ever since I got the 6.3b update, fox has been fine until tonights Prison Break and 24. The audio drop outs were very minor and nothing like it used to be with the 5 second dropouts. But, now I'm getting video breakups or pixelation. I hope it doesn't persist or I like others may have to go to the HR20 without Tivo.

Scott
post #373 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Deuces,

KSDK is fine here in O'fallon, MO.

Scott
post #374 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 07:56 PM

It is back here now too Scott, I don't know what was up, it was odd. Luckily nothing we record was on KSDK tonight, I just happened to flip by and notice, but all seems fine now, thanks.

I can't think of a signature that wouldn't offend at least someone.
post #375 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 08:09 PM

I had a few breakups on fox with ota and a strong signal nothing too bad just the same with pixels popping up at various times.There is starting to be a pattern here with fox.
post #376 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 09:21 PM

thanks everyone. I guess now I just have to decide between Dtv and Dish.
post #377 of 13062 Old 01-29-2007, 11:02 PM

I've recently had nothing but trouble with Charter. Most recently they came to install a cable card on my Hitachi 42HDT79 and it is not picking up any channels, and I have been without TV since Saturday. Assuming they fix this problem, is there a way to get OTA HD and use my cable card? Since Charter does not currently have ABC (LOST is coming back) and CBS, I was hoping I could get them OTA.

Also, is anybody in Oakville receiving all local (Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC) channels with one antenna without a rotator. Thanks for any replies. I apologize if this is an extremely basic question, but I am REALLY new to all this.
post #378 of 13062 Old 01-30-2007, 05:49 AM

I didn't get to check the exact times of all of the breakups I was seeing on FOX during Prison Break and 24, but of the ones I did check, I'd say they were occuring almost every 5 minutes, like clockwork.

Some of the breakups were only audio, but others had video issues as well.

FWIW, I'm viewing via OTA and an old D* Sony HD200 receiver.

I'll see what happens on House tonight.

Kurt K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #379 of 13062 Old 01-30-2007, 06:26 AM

I had some breakups and pixelization during 24 last night using HR20 and OTA.
I had to do a double take to see if I was watching the HR10

Strange,

Token
post #380 of 13062 Old 01-30-2007, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Absolutely, check fleabay. These things are selling like hotcakes for some reason. Good luck.

Scott

Supply and demand of course. The HR10-250 isn't in production anymore and people still want it. There are a few online retailers that have a supply of new-in-box units, but those will eventually dry up and then you're left with pre-owned models.

As long as there is still a desire for this model (I won't give my two up until I have a reason to do so... ie. good mpeg4 nationals), then there will still be a strong demand for it.

BTW, I haven't seen a new software update, but I'm not having the missed recording issues with my HD Tivo's anymore.

Jon

post #381 of 13062 Old 01-30-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:

BTW, anyone know why HR10-250's are selling for so freakin' much on Ebay? Some used ones are bringing $400 plus. I've seen NIB ones bring over $900. What gives?

Scott

Isn't the HR10-250 the one with Tivo (sorry, I'm stuck with Charter - tree issues)? If so, then the jump in price probably has to do with the Tivo Series 3. You can transfer lifetime service from an existing Tivo to a series 3 for $199 if you buy the Series 3 by 1/31, and transfer service by (I think) 2/28. So people are looking to buy existing Tivo's with lifetime service contracts so they can transfer them to the new Series 3. That wouldn't explain the price jump on new ones, but that's the only reason I can think of.
post #382 of 13062 Old 01-30-2007, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRx View Post

I've recently had nothing but trouble with Charter. Most recently they came to install a cable card on my Hitachi 42HDT79 and it is not picking up any channels, and I have been without TV since Saturday. Assuming they fix this problem, is there a way to get OTA HD and use my cable card? Since Charter does not currently have ABC (LOST is coming back) and CBS, I was hoping I could get them OTA.

Also, is anybody in Oakville receiving all local (Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC) channels with one antenna without a rotator. Thanks for any replies. I apologize if this is an extremely basic question, but I am REALLY new to all this.

FinRx -

I looked up the specs to your TV:
http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/plasma/pdf/42HDT79.pdf

It says that the TV has a "Quick Start Seamless HDTV (ATSC) and NTSC tuner." So yes, you should be able to connect an antenna to the tuner on the television and receive OTA HD signals. You'll probably need to switch inputs to go from the cable card to the Antenna...

If the TV only has one input for an RG6 (standard cable wire,) then you may need to purchase a combiner/splitter like this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

The TV should allow you to manually add the OTA channels and the cable channels that you want. I don't have any experience with the cable card on which to draw. Here's a picture of the inputs:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-g0Qpl26...&display=L#Tab

It looks like a nice television.

I'm confused too.

post #383 of 13062 Old 01-30-2007, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaleHDTV View Post

Isn't the HR10-250 the one with Tivo (sorry, I'm stuck with Charter - tree issues)? If so, then the jump in price probably has to do with the Tivo Series 3. You can transfer lifetime service from an existing Tivo to a series 3 for $199 if you buy the Series 3 by 1/31, and transfer service by (I think) 2/28. So people are looking to buy existing Tivo's with lifetime service contracts so they can transfer them to the new Series 3. That wouldn't explain the price jump on new ones, but that's the only reason I can think of.

You can't get a lifetime sub on a DirecTivo model any more. When they first came out you could, but no longer.

post #384 of 13062 Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 AM

It seems like everybody can get all their channels in with high signal strengths. I picked up this
antenna last night hand brought it up to the attic. I live in the Carrington Place subdivision in St. Peters. I don't have it mounted anywhere, but resting on a beam and I am getting not so good results. The main reason I got it was to get 4.1 in for Sunday but I can only get 2 of the 10 signal strength bars and it looses signal about every 30 seconds on my Samsung DLP. The most other channels get is around 4-5 out of 10 bars. Would mounting it really help? I had a hard enough time finding a place to even get 4.1 in. I ran the cable straight down to the tv. What about an amplifier? It seems everybody else in my area get most channels in with high signals. It seems like I've rambled but I could really use some help. THANKS!
post #385 of 13062 Old 01-30-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSuellentrop View Post

It seems like everybody can get all their channels in with high signal strengths. I picked up this
antenna last night hand brought it up to the attic. I live in the Carrington Place subdivision in St. Peters. I don't have it mounted anywhere, but resting on a beam and I am getting not so good results. The main reason I got it was to get 4.1 in for Sunday but I can only get 2 of the 10 signal strength bars and it looses signal about every 30 seconds on my Samsung DLP. The most other channels get is around 4-5 out of 10 bars. Would mounting it really help? I had a hard enough time finding a place to even get 4.1 in. I ran the cable straight down to the tv. What about an amplifier? It seems everybody else in my area get most channels in with high signals. It seems like I've rambled but I could really use some help. THANKS!

Well, I'm new to OTA as well, but it looks like you have two things to do/try next: 1) is get a better placement and proper mounting for you antenna. Extra height can make a big difference. 2)Then try an amplifer.

I know I picked up 2.1,4.1,5.1,5.2 when I just hooked my attic antenna...I added an amplifer and can now get all the PBS stations...but I still can't get the 11.1, 11.2 and 30.1....which leads me to believe that I need to adjust my antenna a little bit.
post #386 of 13062 Old 01-30-2007, 08:34 AM

i read you only get 50% signal if your in the attic. I tried it in my backyard but it was worse. It seems like I need to move it to the roof. Has anybody had experience with moving it from the attic to the roof? Wouldn't I have to cut a hole in my roof to feed the cable. I'll need to buy a longer cable then, because I cut down the long cable I had in an attempt to reduce signal loss. How much does the cable length affect signal loss?
post #387 of 13062 Old 01-30-2007, 08:38 AM

I live near Willott & Mid Rivers and this is what I'm using.

I just leaned it against the eastern wall in the attic (2 story home).
If you try this model just make sure you can get it in your attic opening as it just fit in mine

Good luck,
Token
post #388 of 13062 Old 01-30-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm at Kisker & 94 and I use a DB8, which is what _token_ uses under a different name.

Mine is outside.

post #389 of 13062 Old 01-30-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by _token_ View Post

I had some breakups and pixelization during 24 last night using HR20 and OTA.
I had to do a double take to see if I was watching the HR10

Strange,

Token

These breakups occur with Fox all the time, and they're getting worse. They're at about the same level as they were before. For a while they seem to have minimized the problems, but they're back. D*, E*, OTA, it's all bad.

Joe Clark

post #390 of 13062 Old 01-30-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, the break ups can be seen during Fox2 News in the morning, too.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page