post #451 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post

Thanks for the feedback. I have a lot of tilt. It's a neat trick. It helps with large trees and multi-path especially.

This morning I had quite a bit of break up on KSDK. The strong wind gusts may have shifted the antenna some? It seems okay now though.

Mo:

I don't usually watch in the AM; but it might be just that the gusts move the antenna enough to cause some breakup.

Best,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSDO View Post

MoxiGuy,
What are you doing in St. Louis? Have not seen many of your posts lately. I figured its because the 4.1 firmware update is available but few of the cable companies have released it.

I really like my Moxi and I do not want the DCT3416. Any idea as to the reality of the retail Moxi? If I have to get rid of the Moxi at some point I will seriously consider the retail Moxi if its as advertised. Multistream CC, external HDD, firewire, hdmi etc... Otherwise Tivo 3 or satellite will likely be the way to go.

Sorry, I don't get to St. Louis often enough. I have racked up 10 posts in the last two weeks. If that number is low, it's because I don't have a lot of news to bring. Charter is still working toward a release of 4.1, but I don't have a deployment date yet. There's not much to add to the retail story beyond what was announced at CES. The latest published report is this interview with Digeo CEO, Mike Fidler in TWICE from Monday. But there are no details available yet on pricing, features, and release date.
post #453 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoublev View Post

Do you know if the HR10-250 will work with the new dish that has to be put up for mpeg4? The reason I am asking is that I have the HR10-250 on my main TV which I am very happy with, but I just bought another TV for the bedroom and would like to get a new HD/DVR (HR20) receiver. I don't want to have to replace the HR10-250.

Yep, it works fine. I have two of them myself.

There's Good TV, Better TV and DirecTV, but nothing beats a calibrated TV!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #454 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hello again everybody. I finally decided I needed to have a HR20 before the Super Bowl because I can't depend on OTA from KMOV on my HDTivo anymore. It was always an issue, but ever since the power outages has been worse. With my DTivo I could hardly ever get KETC without dropouts and KMOV has been almost as bad lately. I have a computer HD tuner (I think with the same "5th gen LG" tuner as the HR20) and it does better on KMOV but still has trouble with KETC.
Anyway, I'm very impressed with OTA on the HR20 in limited use. KMOV was rock solid, and KETC was very good. KTVI dropped out during American Idol, but I guess I'm not the only one experiencing that. I guess I will try recording both OTA and MPEG4 feeds on this receiver tonight as ktviengineering suggests and see if I have the same issues on both. I also have the non-DVR MPEG4 box in another room I can compare with.
I was kind of surprised I actually ended up with a receiver yesterday--they didn't have a spare since they used mine yesterday in the morning install but had 2 spares driven to my house--and the 2nd one worked (for now). It did not have the firmware for OTA but downloaded soon after the installer left.

Matt
post #455 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxiGuy View Post

Sorry, I don't get to St. Louis often enough. I have racked up 10 posts in the last two weeks. If that number is low, it's because I don't have a lot of news to bring. Charter is still working toward a release of 4.1, but I don't have a deployment date yet. There's not much to add to the retail story beyond what was announced at CES. The latest published report is this interview with Digeo CEO, Mike Fidler in TWICE from Monday. But there are no details available yet on pricing, features, and release date.

Interesting article. Thanks for the reply!
post #456 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 AM

Quick question for those of you with Charter DVR- the remote that came with ours (the big silver SOB) has buttons that don't seem to work. Some of them may just be for features that Charter is not authorizing (picture in picture, for example), but others seem really nessessary, like the SWAP, instant replay, and LIST button that is supposed to go right to your recorded programs. When I press those buttons, the light on the remote does not light up at all. Is this normal, or did I get a bum remote? It's really hard to use the dual tuners without the swap button, and it would be nice if PIP worked too. Thanks for any thoughts...

BTW, I posted here a bit ago that we had some trouble with our install the first time around. I just wanted to state for the record that other than this remote issue, the second install went very well and Charter did give me the service discounts that they offered. I really doubt we'll still be with charter in 6 months when the discount runs out, but we'll give them a bit more time to improve the content that they carry.
post #457 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Matt,

That's an interesting experiment. IMO you're going to have the same problem as you do OTA.

Please let us all know. Of course it matters how the D* feed is gathered; it if's from an OTA antenna for the backhaul.

Cheers,

post #458 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

11.1 has been pretty much the same for me tonight as always. It doesn't come on the Dish 622 without serious breakup several times a minute - unwatchable. On the MyHD card, the image breaks up once every few minutes (sometimes more), but the audio continues pretty much intact. I think it's a ch. 11 issue, because it used to be very solid (signal strength still registers very high on the 622, and 100% on the MyHD), but it breaks up on both now. KPLR has changed something.

Joseph-- I have exactly the same break-up problem with OTA 11.1 on my Dish Network 622 (also unwatchable). An old first generation Zenith OTA tuner also shows the problem with 11.1 but with less severity. Signal strength is high with my rooftop antenna in Saint Charles.

All of this started very suddenly sometime late in December. I've tried, but just can't go back to watching Veronica Mars in Standard Def. Does anyone know if channel 11 has ackowledged the problem?
post #459 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Do you know if the HR10-250 will work with the new dish that has to be put up for mpeg4? The reason I am asking is that I have the HR10-250 on my main TV which I am very happy with, but I just bought another TV for the bedroom and would like to get a new HD/DVR (HR20) receiver.

Yes, but understand it will ONLY get what you are getting today. (NO HD locals through the dish, or any of the new, national MPEG4 HD nationals going up later this year) Eventually, if they start moving the existing MPEG2 HD to MPEG4, it will NO longer pick those up, either.
post #460 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post

Ok, I'm in Troy, IL about 25ish miles from the transmitter; and I'm seeing the problem as well.

I can capture the OTA stream as well and would be happy to provide it to help diagnose the problem.

If you want, you can even come over and watch the problem occur on a system that is quite capable of showing what your broadcasts really look like

Cheers,

Sounds good....

I'll be at home doing the same... on a system that's also capable

I am not a representative of KTVI-TV. My posts and any opinions or information expressed within them do not represent the position of KTVI, Fox Television Group, or the management of either entity.
post #461 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kommissar View Post

Quick question for those of you with Charter DVR- the remote that came with ours (the big silver SOB) has buttons that don't seem to work. Some of them may just be for features that Charter is not authorizing (picture in picture, for example), but others seem really nessessary, like the SWAP, instant replay, and LIST button that is supposed to go right to your recorded programs. When I press those buttons, the light on the remote does not light up at all. Is this normal, or did I get a bum remote? It's really hard to use the dual tuners without the swap button, and it would be nice if PIP worked too. Thanks for any thoughts...

BTW, I posted here a bit ago that we had some trouble with our install the first time around. I just wanted to state for the record that other than this remote issue, the second install went very well and Charter did give me the service discounts that they offered. I really doubt we'll still be with charter in 6 months when the discount runs out, but we'll give them a bit more time to improve the content that they carry.

Do you have the Moxi or 3416?

None the less- I will give my remote a "once over" tonight and let you know
post #462 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschultz View Post

Yep, it works fine. I have two of them myself.

Thanks for the info!

Mo gave me the D* TV customer retention number last year that I used which was great. But I heard that the number is no longer good. Does anyone have a direct number to the customer retention that is still good?
post #463 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

Yes, but understand it will ONLY get what you are getting today. (NO HD locals through the dish, or any of the new, national MPEG4 HD nationals going up later this year) Eventually, if they start moving the existing MPEG2 HD to MPEG4, it will NO longer pick those up, either.

Gotcha. I just love the TiVo. So I am going to hold out on replacing that as long as I can. I already get the locals through OTA which I am fine with.
post #464 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info!

Mo gave me the D* TV customer retention number last year that I used which was great. But I heard that the number is no longer good. Does anyone have a direct number to the customer retention that is still good?

1-800-824-0739

post #465 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:

1-800-824-0739

Thanks!
post #466 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Please post your retention results or PM me if possible. I like to know what D* is willing to give.

Scott
post #467 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktviengineering View Post

Sounds good....

I'll be at home doing the same... on a system that's also capable

Wow, you have a 1080p FPTV with a 106" Diagonal as well? Very nice setup

post #468 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tucker View Post

Please post your retention results or PM me if possible. I like to know what D* is willing to give.

Scott

Will do.
post #469 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, you have a 1080p FPTV with a 106" Diagonal as well? Very nice setup

Man, if that is the definition of capable, I'm screwed.

Scott
post #470 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tucker View Post

Man, if that is the definition of capable, I'm screwed.

Scott

Nah, just having a little fun with the KTVI guy.

One thought that Doug and I have kicked around is a "local TV" night where we invite all the Engineers to my house one night or on a weekend and show them what their broadcasts really look and sound like.

It would be interesting to show them how good (or bad) their content looks. I have captured content on hard drive for all the locals to show their quality (or lack thereof).

I also got some very high bit rate MPEG-2 material at CES that I haven't had a chance to look at. Think 30+ Mbits/second MPEG-2.

CHeers,

post #471 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Gotcha. I just love the TiVo. So I am going to hold out on replacing that as long as I can. I already get the locals through OTA which I am fine with.

Same here - whether I (reluctantly) get one of the HR20's, or possibly (although VERY unlikely) switch to E* or go totally back to cable w/a Tivo S3, I have NO intention of getting locked onto another 2 year contract on D*, until they have their MPEG4 HD national channels up & running, as well as getting more of the bugs worked out of their HR20.
post #472 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Springfield, IL???

Get out of our thread

post #473 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Nah, just having a little fun with the KTVI guy.

One thought that Doug and I have kicked around is a "local TV" night where we invite all the Engineers to my house one night or on a weekend and show them what their broadcasts really look and sound like.

It would be interesting to show them how good (or bad) their content looks. I have captured content on hard drive for all the locals to show their quality (or lack thereof).

I also got some very high bit rate MPEG-2 material at CES that I haven't had a chance to look at. Think 30+ Mbits/second MPEG-2.

Still a good idea, particularly for the "multi-casters" who claim that the subchannel(s) payload has no impact on HD picture quality. But I guess those claims are easy to make when stations don't bother to monitor the outgoing digital signals.

Anyway, the fact is, most of the deficiencies are also clearly visible on 50-inch screens...

Doug

ISF & THX Video Calibration
Real-time Twitter Home Theater News
post #474 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Or 23 inch screens........Or 65 inch screens........or any size screen where the consumer has an external audio source.

Shoot, even my 4:3 19" computer monitor using Windows Media Center or ATI's TV software.

post #475 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Springfield, IL???

Get out of our thread

Why - I get ALL of the St.Louis channels (abeit in SD) on DBS anyway.
If I end up NOT being able to get the Chicago HD locals on my D* account, (because of the Chicago HD spots being too weak) I may end up going for St.Louis HD locals instead.
Actually, I have clients that are in your market.

Hey BTW, is there an updated list somewhere that shows all the subchannels available on all the St.Louis digital OTA's? (I know some of them, like KETC-DT has about 3-4 subchannels, but one list would sure be handy for me)
post #476 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

I would be screaming if I ever found anything on CW11 worth watching. I too, find it unwatchable. It seems like this started around the time the power level jumped about 10 points. I used to get a signal in the mid eighties on my Dish 622 when all was well. Now my signal strength hovers near 100.
post #477 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill787 View Post

Joseph-- I have exactly the same break-up problem with OTA 11.1 on my Dish Network 622 (also unwatchable). An old first generation Zenith OTA tuner also shows the problem with 11.1 but with less severity. Signal strength is high with my rooftop antenna in Saint Charles.

All of this started very suddenly sometime late in December. I've tried, but just can't go back to watching Veronica Mars in Standard Def. Does anyone know if channel 11 has acknowledged the problem?

I believe indications are this is a DISH issue, more so, than a KPLR issue.
Yes, both DISH TS and PQ is aware of the local issue. I've been personally told by a DISH PQR there has been discussions between DISH and KPLR engineering, regarding the issue.
post #478 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdg454 View Post

I believe indications are this is a DISH issue, more so, than a KPLR issue.
Yes, both DISH TS and PQ is aware of the local issue. I've been personally told by a DISH PQR there has been discussions between DISH and KPLR engineering, regarding the issue.

DISH TS is Technical Services? What are PQ and PQR? Picture Quality and Review?

post #479 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 01:07 PM

I just had direct tv installed they left and it quit working this is not right .It keeps searching for satellite I have already did 5 resets thank god I have ota.Friday will be the earliest they can come and look I need a stiff drink.
post #480 of 13060 Old 01-31-2007, 01:09 PM

We've got the 3416. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSDO View Post

Do you have the Moxi or 3416?

None the less- I will give my remote a "once over" tonight and let you know

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List