Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cards Fan View Post

I am looking for a stb that would work well in a valley, at the bottom of a large hill, with the hiill, trees and powerlines in the direction of the tv towers, in unincorporated South St. Louis County.

This is going to be an antenna issue, not a tuner issue. You are going to have to get it up in the air.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwette View Post

1. FSN in SD is included. You do not have to get the Sports Pak.
2. FSN is not in HD full time. Selected events are provided on the special events HD channel from time to time. You have to subscribe to the HD package to get any HD channel, including FSN when available. Furthermore, once you do so, you will not get SHO HD or HBO HD unless you subscribe to them separately as well.
3. If you want the HD DVR it is going to be the HR20-700 if you get it from DirecTV. There is now a wait for these -- I heard until April/May, both from another subscriber and the installers who did my HR20s this week. Otherwise, you can look for a HR10-250 on eBay, etc.

Didn't DISH have an offer of a free HD DVR recently. I thought they announced that at CES.

Thanks for the reply. The DISH free HD DVR offer (along with any other deal) applies to new subscribers, or so I was told by the CSR.
post #723 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duihlein View Post

Good thing I didn't plan a SB party. My bulb just blew in my AE-700.
Looks like a SD SB for me

Dave

Just picked up an Optoma HD70 DLP projector. I'll have to tilt it a bit for my setup. Hopefully it won't be so much that it requires keystoning.

Off to Home Depot for new mounting screws.

Dave
post #724 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 10:17 AM

Anyone else having problems with KPLR 11.1? I have great signal strenght (97-100) on my 622 dish receiver, but frequently I'll loose signal, then it come back. It's does the same thing with the TV's tuner. I know from the last storm we had my antenna moved a little because KETC's signal has dropped some cause some problems, but not sure if that would cause the problems with KPLR.

Chuck

I'm not prejudiced by so called previous knowledge
post #725 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Thanks for the reply. The DISH free HD DVR offer (along with any other deal) applies to new subscribers, or so I was told by the CSR.

Current subs can upgrade to, or add an additional 622 for $149.99, with a $50.00 rebate, and $10.00 off programming fees for 10 months. Net result is a 1¢ credit.
post #726 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Question on Dish...

If I go with Dish Network and get the HD DVR, am I correct in thinking that I will need 2 coax runs from the dish to the DVR? Then another 1 out if I want it to go to another tv?

Tim
post #727 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfila View Post

Question on Dish...

If I go with Dish Network and get the HD DVR, am I correct in thinking that I will need 2 coax runs from the dish to the DVR? Then another 1 out if I want it to go to another tv?

Tim

One run from the switch to the HD DVR. The amount of downfeeds from the dish to the switch, depends on which programming. If you're going to get the HD package and locals, you will have 4 from the dish to the switch, and then 1 from the switch to each receiver.
Even though the 622 has a dual-tuner, only one feed is required to the back of the 622.
post #728 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 11:49 AM

I just got a Samsung Direct TV receiver so I could watch the SuperBowl in HD Today.(Boo Charter ; Thanks Dwette!!! )

My question(s); I have the OTA receiver hooked to an old style (>30 y/o) antenna on my roof in the old section of St. Charles. I am getting a nice picture on all the channels but do get breakups on all KETC multicast channels alot. CBS will break up occassionally. When I check the signal strength it will go : 45%, 10%, 35%, 68%, 30%, etc.....changing about every 5 secs. (Q1) Is this normal to vary so much? (Q2) Should I be expecting higher? (Q3)Should I get a new type antenna? (Q4) Should I get a signal booster? Questions, Questions.....but now I need to go watch the game!

Wayne
post #729 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdg454 View Post

One run from the switch to the HD DVR. The amount of downfeeds from the dish to the switch, depends on which programming. If you're going to get the HD package and locals, you will have 4 from the dish to the switch, and then 1 from the switch to each receiver.
Even though the 622 has a dual-tuner, only one feed is required to the back of the 622.

Thanks, I appreciate all your help.

Tim
post #730 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWSHER View Post

When I check the signal strength it will go : 45%, 10%, 35%, 68%, 30%, etc.....changing about every 5 secs.

Any chance the feedline is flapping in the breeze? Your symptoms suggest an intermittent feedline connection that the wind could move, or tree branches blowing into the path.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #731 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post

Any chance the feedline is flapping in the breeze? Your symptoms suggest an intermittent feedline connection that the wind could move, or tree branches blowing into the path.

Dan, Great suggestion. I ran 50' of new coaxial cable up to and since it was a little chilly yesterday I just ran the line and was planning on tacking it down later (spring?). I just went out and tighten things up by wrapping around other lines but...... to no success. I have tried three different "rabbit ears' type also and the results are exactly the same so it must be some other factor. While I was up on the roof I noticed that this ole antenna is really in bad shape with some broken portions that may be the cause. I am on the opposite side of a hill from STL. I have a friend with one of the new fangled HDTV antennas so I'll probably borrow it to see if that will help.

Any other ideas?

Wayne
post #732 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,
I'm tuned into kmov for the superbowl ota with an rca dtc100 receiver and I seem to be getting excessive very low bass. Is that just how they're broadcasting it or am I picking up some spurious signal somehow? I'm getting a decent signal (82-89)
Thanks in advance,
Joe H
post #733 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by duihlein View Post

Just picked up an Optoma HD70 DLP projector. I'll have to tilt it a bit for my setup. Hopefully it won't be so much that it requires keystoning.

Off to Home Depot for new mounting screws.

Dave

Let us know how you like it. That has to be one of the best buys ever for an HD projector.

Joe Clark

post #734 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Please wipe the rain drops off of the camera lense...
post #735 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:

I ran 50' of new coaxial cable

Is the antenna designed for coax, or did you have to use balun transformer? Connections clean and tight, or old and rusty?

Quote:

that this ole antenna is really in bad shape with some broken portions that may be the cause.

Quote:

I am on the opposite side of a hill from STL.

Less an issue than you might suppose. Did you notice that several here have gotten better results by pointing the antenna UP as much as 10 to 30 degrees?

Quote:

I have a friend with one of the new fangled HDTV antennas so I'll probably borrow it to see if that will help.

AFAIK "HD antenna" = "UHF antenna." Mo and others had some recommendations a few messages up-thread -- may have even been the old (January) thread. I'm still using a beat-up old antenna I put on the roof about 25 years ago. Fortunately the busted elements are for the VHF half.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #736 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tucker View Post

I added a 2nd HR10-250 last night and still get 86 and 88 just fine.

Scott

Thanks guys, and Scott you definitely aren't the norm since you are grandfathered with all of the national feeds (or at least what I think I remember).
post #737 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt K View Post

and Scott you definitely aren't the norm

post #738 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 06:19 PM

Dan, Thanks for the replies. I have no idea if it is designed for coax...probably not since it is so old. Connections were clean and I just bought an adapter to connect to the two thumb screws on the antenna.

But get this, and I have heard something similar from a friend of mine that see this same phenomenon. He claims he only gets breakups on sunny days and none when it is cloudy. He contends that the signals bounce off the clouds and stay in the lower atmosphere and escape when it's sunny.

For me today, as soon as the sun went down the break-ups stopped and KMOX HD has been nearly perfect ever since. Even weirder yet I checked the signal strength and it still doing the 35%, 79%, 0% 45%, etc. i.e. no change.

Even though I am a scientist, this has me puzzled, but us biologists don't know nothun bout lectricity!

Edit: This looks like the one Mo suggested:
>>>>>>>ChannelMaster 4221:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/cm4221.html

You can buy it locally for $20-22 at Skywalker in O'Fallon.>>>>

Wayne

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><<><><><<br />
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post

Is the antenna designed for coax, or did you have to use balun transformer? Connections clean and tight, or old and rusty?

Less an issue than you might suppose. Did you notice that several here have gotten better results by pointing the antenna UP as much as 10 to 30 degrees?

AFAIK "HD antenna" = "UHF antenna." Mo and others had some recommendations a few messages up-thread -- may have even been the old (January) thread. I'm still using a beat-up old antenna I put on the roof about 25 years ago. Fortunately the busted elements are for the VHF half.

post #739 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:

I just bought an adapter to connect to the two thumb screws on the antenna.

If the "adapter" has a type F coax connector at one end and either TV twinlead or two screws for same at the other end, it is a "balun transformer." Those are designed to convert a 300-ohm BALanced feed (twinlead) to a 75-ohm UNbalanced feed (coax).

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #740 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 06:53 PM

Yes, than I guess I did get one like that at Lowes on the right but the body was more compact. It was even made for external use with a rubber protective cover. Thanks for the definition, looks like I learned something today.
Wayne
post #741 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 07:28 PM

Dan, thanks for your reply of "This is going to be an antenna issue, not a tuner issue. You are going to have to get it up in the air." I am probably 75' below the height of the trees and 1/2 mile long hill. How high would I need to go? (WAF is a factor). Any suggestions on antenna, since I have (I think) multipath and a weak signal? Thanks in advance for all sugestions!
post #742 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What a great Super Bowl that was! Correct me if I'm wrong, though - has there ever been another Super Bowl where both quarterbacks played for the same team?

BTW, the picture quality matched the quality of play on the field.

Joe Clark

post #743 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Current subs can upgrade to, or add an additional 622 for $149.99, with a $50.00 rebate, and $10.00 off programming fees for 10 months. Net result is a 1¢ credit.

The $10/off for 10 months is only for new HD subscribers. If you are an existing HD customer you don't get the additional $10 off/month.

Cheers,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #744 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

What a great Super Bowl that was! Correct me if I'm wrong, though - has there ever been another Super Bowl where both quarterbacks played for the same team?

BTW, the picture quality matched the quality of play on the field.

Good or bad?

I was underwhelmed with consistent macroblocking and other artifacting. Did KMOV drop the subchannel? From the look of things I'd say not.

Cheers,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #745 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

post #746 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post

The $10/off for 10 months is only for new HD subscribers. If you are an existing HD customer you don't get the additional $10 off/month.
Cheers,

Thanks for the correction John...sorry I didn't specify that. It does only apply to current non-HD subs.
post #747 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good or bad?
I was underwhelmed with consistent macroblocking and other artifacting. Did KMOV drop the subchannel? From the look of things I'd say not.
Cheers,

It seemed to me, to be worse in the 2nd half, than the 1st. It looked much like a FOX/KTVI broadcast. CBS/KMOV is usually better than it was today.

At the very least, FOX could have stayed away from the continual use of that camera with the fogged-up lens and water-spots
post #748 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 10:15 PM

SuperBowl: The sound pops coming back from commercial were the biggest complaint I had. I didn't notice too much macroblocking, but the sound pops were unavoidable.
post #749 of 13037 Old 02-04-2007, 11:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good or bad?

Cheers,

I guess my attempt at humor flew about as well as Grossman's passes.

You can blame the wet lenses and rain for the milky look, but the blocking artifacts were awful. You can't steal bits from a 1080i stream. These are the dark ages of local HD, and if the trend continues it will get even worse. Woe, woe!

Joe Clark

post #750 of 13037 Old 02-05-2007, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Let us know how you like it. That has to be one of the best buys ever for an HD projector.

Overall the projector produces an incredible picture for the money. The brightness was up there with my AE-700. But the colors really pop. My wife even commented how much better it looked during the Cirque pregame show.

2 things are leading me to try the Mits HC3000.
1) Offset - Because I want to retain my 106" screen I have to mount the projector at about 14'. Unfortunately this is just past an air duct, so not only do I have 8, ceilings, but I also have a mount that drops it to 7'. As a result I really have to tilt the projector to get it up on the wall. While the HC3000 has about the same offset, it also has a 1280x768 so I can use image shift to compensate a little.

Why can't someone make a low cost 720P DLP with 0 offset

2) There is a small amount of light spill. Don't know if this can be adjusted, but when I zoom my image out to fill the screen, about 3" of light show on either side of the screen border. Since my border is only 1" I can see a light ring arount my screen. It's very faint, but it's there.

Unfortunately I cannot do a direct comparison to my 3 year old AE700, but from memory I can say the colors popped more, there is no definitive pixel structure and
the overall picture looked considerably better. I put Ice Age 2 in my PS3 and again I noticed more vibrant colors. I also noticed the lack of FPN in the blue sky scenes, something that has bothered my with LCD since I read about it. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

I don't know If football & commercials is condusive to RBE, but I didn't notice it during standard viewing. In fact the only time I did notice I was trying induce it (shaking head back and forth, darting eyes back and forth across the screen)
So I don't think it's much of an issue.

I'm going to pick up the HC3000 today and I'll post a comparison later.
Dave
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page