Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post

I'd especially be interested in whether you see any difference between Vudu on your Roku 3, and Vudu on your Oppo BD player. My Roku came from before Roku's had numbers after them and doesn't offer Vudu, so my Vudu strictly comes from the Oppo.

I don't have my Oppo 93 connected to the Internet. I haven't "upgraded" it to the latest firmware, because Oppo was forced by the studios to remove iso file playback support from attached HDDs. I have an older Sony BD player that plays Amazon Instant Video (but not Vudu), and it's a LOT slower than the Roku 3. It takes several seconds longer for a video to start streaming on the Sony. My Oppo isn't the swiftest, either, so I'd guess the Roku 3 would outperform it by a significant margin, too. The Roku 3 is VERY fast.

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Actually I was more interested in whether you noticed any difference in picture/sound quality using the Oppo or the Roku when streaming Vudu. But since you've never tried Vudu on the Oppo, I can't expect you to answer that. I do Amazon on the ancient original Roku (which doesn't do Vudu) and Vudu on the Oppo (which doesn't do Amazon).

The only video service both my units have is Netflix, which lags a bit behind both Amazon and Vudu in picture/sound quality. So I have no way to A/B either Vudu or Amazon.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
Old 02-17-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Actually I was more interested in whether you noticed any difference in picture/sound quality using the Oppo or the Roku when streaming Vudu. But since you've never tried Vudu on the Oppo, I can't expect you to answer that. I do Amazon on the ancient original Roku (which doesn't do Vudu) and Vudu on the Oppo (which doesn't do Amazon).

The only video service both my units have is Netflix, which lags a bit behind both Amazon and Vudu in picture/sound quality. So I have no way to A/B either Vudu or Amazon.

One of my Sony BD players has Vudu and another doesn't. I never know what's going to have what. I like the Roku 3 because it includes so many streaming services, but it's not the best media player. It supports only a limited number of audio and video codecs. For playback of other file formats, I use a home theater PC and a Mede8er media player. It's really a mess out there.

Joe Clark

Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

That aspect issue is the whole reason I never watched it, annoyed the crap out of me.

Agreed. It was the dumbest waste of bandwidth ever. How can you spew that out over the air in a major market? What were they thinking?
Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

The DirecTV channel 46 story is getting weirder still!

Now if you go to channel 46 (without the dash one), you get ION TV, in HD! Looks like DirecTV has dumped WRBU and has put its own feed of the national satellite ION TV in HD (remapped from channel 305) on channel 46.

Wouldn't it be cool if they could do that with the other networks, and replace the local feed with a non-multicasting affiliate showing the same program? Yeah, I know, I'm pipe dreaming.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you can recieve it KMOV's mobile channel is up and running.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linxs View Post

If you can recieve it KMOV's mobile channel is up and running.

What do you see? 4.1 and 4.2 come in strong but all I see on 4.3 is a black screen.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:50 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by moman19 View Post

What do you see? 4.1 and 4.2 come in strong but all I see on 4.3 is a black screen.

You won't see it on a regular tv. You need a device like elgato Eyetv for iOS to access the service Dyletv.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

The DirecTV channel 46 story is getting weirder still!

Now if you go to channel 46 (without the dash one), you get ION TV, in HD! Looks like DirecTV has dumped WRBU and has put its own feed of the national satellite ION TV in HD (remapped from channel 305) on channel 46..

Wish they would do that in Minneapolis (remap the HD 305 feed to the local affiliate). Our local Ion (KPXM 41) is still in SD on Directv (even though its HD OTA) smile.gif
Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah, it's an H.264 stream, so it needs a tuner that supports H.264. Question, are Dyle stations encrypted or not? AirBox channels are, I know that.

Now with 100% more Amateur Extra Class privileges!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Question, are Dyle stations encrypted or not?

Yes, they are. KSDK's stream has been encrypted for a long time. KETC's is not.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Since sometime yesterday afternoon, WRBU (46.1) has added the typical suite of sub-channels already seen in their other markets. Qubo, IONLife, Shop, QVC, HSN are 46-2 thru 46-6 respectively.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

SIX subchannels?????? Guess it won't matter if 46-1 ever goes "HD," since it will have so little bandwidth the picture will continue to suck no matter what "resolution" they broadcast it in.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

SIX subchannels?????? Guess it won't matter if 46-1 ever goes "HD," since it will have so little bandwidth the picture will continue to suck no matter what "resolution" they broadcast it in.

This is how most ION affiliates are. Some even briefly had Telemundo on xx-7. My local ION is HD and the subs look bad to horrendous but the main HD isn't really that bad.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 562
Anything worth watching on those new sub channels?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Qubo is for kids. Ion Life is kind of a home/lifestyle show with some movies that are not watchable due to PQ. The rest are shopping.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

So nothing really... oh well. I can at least say I have 25 channels now to everyone considering cutting the cord.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 03-06-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Same as they run everywhere else.

The .1 channel is 480i with about 5.5 mbs bandwidth allocated. The rest vary from around 1.4 mbs for the shopping channels up to about 3.7 for Qubo.

You could probably watch Youtube videos over dial-up and have a better viewer experience!
Old 03-06-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just wanted to thank you again for the Vudu recommendation, Bob. The quality is so much better than OTA. They use a specially optimized MPEG4 compression that beats the pants off OTA's MPEG2, even at a lowly 4.5mbps. All our local stations use MPEG2, obviously, and when there's motion (such as sports or sometimes even a simple dissolve) the picture can exhibit severe MPEG blocking artifacts. The use of all these sub channels has made image quality look so bad that I can hardly stand to watch any of them anymore. I bought the last season of Being Human (from the Syfy channel) the other day, and it looks better than anything I've seen on OTA in ages. (BTW, I've been binge watching Being Human and really like it. I caught the first three seasons for free via Amazon Prime.)

Joe Clark

Old 03-06-2014, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Same as they run everywhere else.

The .1 channel is 480i with about 5.5 mbs bandwidth allocated. The rest vary from around 1.4 mbs for the shopping channels up to about 3.7 for Qubo.

You could probably watch Youtube videos over dial-up and have a better viewer experience!

It takes over an hour to load 5 minutes of 240p youtube on dialup, I've tried. Then imagine it times out while loading and the page expires or it loses the buffer....

I may have judged Qubo a bit too soon, Class of the Titans has a lot of voice actors I am a fan of, and the concept is decent, so I'll give their lineup a shot.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 03-07-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

You're quite welcome, Joe. Yeah, Vudu is how I watch Agents of Shield, Revolution, The Blacklist, The Following, Arrow, and The Walking Dead currently. There are a few other shows lower on my list that I watch on Hulu Plus, like Chicago Fire (yes, Hulu Plus is better than OTA now, too). When Vudu gets around to making "season passes" available for Almost Human and Intelligence, I'll probably watch those on Vudu, too.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In some markets, ION stations run a set of pay-TV subchannels called AirBOX instead of the home shopping. They're encrypted SD H.264 streams, so they manage to look decent (for SD) with less bandwidth.

Now with 100% more Amateur Extra Class privileges!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You're quite welcome, Joe. Yeah, Vudu is how I watch Agents of Shield, Revolution, The Blacklist, The Following, Arrow, and The Walking Dead currently. There are a few other shows lower on my list that I watch on Hulu Plus, like Chicago Fire (yes, Hulu Plus is better than OTA now, too). When Vudu gets around to making "season passes" available for Almost Human and Intelligence, I'll probably watch those on Vudu, too.

Amazon Instant Video seems to fall somewhere between OTA and Vudu in terms of HD quality. Complex scenes (lots of detail/movement) show more noise and artifacting in Amazon streams than Vudu streams, but they're still not as bad as OTA.

I was going to check out Star Crossed the other night on the CW, but Ch. 11 was having technical issues and an episode of Beauty and the Beast aired in that time frame. I've had several issues with Ch. 11 OTA broadcasts lately, with severe blocking and audio dropouts. It reminds me of what used to happen routinely with Smallville and other CW shows, but even worse. It's sporadic, though, and some shows are fine.

Joe Clark

Old 03-07-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Forgot to mention that last week's episode of Being Human on Syfy was one of the best hours of television I've seen this year. That young cast is remarkable, especially Meaghan Rath as Sally and Sam Huntington as Josh. Too bad the show got canceled. I just discovered it and Syfy announced last week that this is the final season. I don't know if Syfy gave them enough warning to close out the series on their terms. I doubt it. The series finale is in April.

Joe Clark

Old 03-07-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll say the same thing for this week's ARROW. That show is amazing and gets better with every episode (though you'll want to see it from the beginning before watching current episodes). No danger of this show getting canceled, though. It's one of, if not THE most popular show on the CW.

But of course I watch it on Vudu.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, to stay with it I'll have to watch it on Vudu, too. Both last week and this week had so many glitches that I couldn't watch. Same for The Tomorrow People.

Joe Clark

Old 03-07-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

That last episode of Arrow was my first, and I love what they are doing with the DC universe. What are the best ways to get caught up on the series?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 03-07-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Vudu is a good way, if you are willing to pay. As Bob says, the quality will be much better than OTA, and no commercials. The Blu-ray discs are almost $50 on Amazon, but that's ideal for picture and sound quality. I often buy my favorite series on Blu-ray when they come out.

Joe Clark

Old 03-07-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder... how would a new Batman TV series go over? Maybe even Batman Beyond would be an option...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 03-08-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

That last episode of Arrow was my first, and I love what they are doing with the DC universe. What are the best ways to get caught up on the series?

Season 1 is on Netflix streaming, free if you already have a Netflix account. Who knows, by the time you're done with season 1, season 2 may be on Netflix, too.