Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #12961 of 13060 Old 03-08-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I need to resub to Netflix, I dropped it a while back. My current internet has a five hour period where I have no data cap, otherwise I only have 10GB for the month. (Gotta love Satellite internet)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12962 of 13060 Old 03-15-2014, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There's a new Batman universe show coming up next season on Fox, by the way. It's called Gotham, and it looks like it focuses on the beginning of Commisioner Gordon's carrier. Apparently, it's going to have the origin of several Batman villains and Bruce Wayne becoming Batman, if I follow Wikipedia correctly. Just thought I'd mention it, it's one of the few shows that's been announced for next season already.

Now with 100% more Amateur Extra Class privileges!
post #12963 of 13060 Old 03-15-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looks awesome.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #12964 of 13060 Old 03-15-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Very nice! Any trailer yet?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #12965 of 13060 Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The new Amazon Fire TV box does Netflix in 5.1! All my previous Netflix devices (even my state of the art Oppo 95) only did Netflix in plain old stereo!

post #12966 of 13060 Old 04-06-2014, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post

The new Amazon Fire TV box does Netflix in 5.1! All my previous Netflix devices (even my state of the art Oppo 95) only did Netflix in plain old stereo!

My >$50 Roku HD (only 720p) does 5.1. I upconvert thru my Denon 3313 for an amazing picture.
post #12967 of 13060 Old 04-06-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The Roku 3 can do Dolby Digital+ up to 7.1 - according to Vudu when it fires up. When I use Vudu on one of my Sony Blu-ray players, it says Dolby Digital 5.1. It's all device specific. I don't know what the audio data rate is with OTA and satellite broadcasts, but I'm hearing things on Amazon Instant Video streams (and the Roku 3) that never seemed this clear when I watched them originally. For instance, there was a phrase in an episode of Eureka from a year or so ago that I could never make out. It bugged me. I heard it clearly the other day when watching that same episode on Amazon.

Joe Clark

post #12968 of 13060 Old 04-06-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Main reason I bought the Fire TV instead of the Roku 3 was the optical output on the Fire TV.

I don't have HDMI in my old Pioneer Elite receiver. But it's flawless in every other way imaginable, so I'm not about to replace it any time soon. With a Roku 3, I'd be stuck with plain old 2-channel on EVERYTHING -- Netflix, Amazon, etc. Having an optical output on the FireTV means my Amazon/Netflix streaming is in 5.1 channel.

With Vudu, I use my Oppo 95 with 5.1 channel analog outputs (though even with 5.1 analog out, the Oppo still only does stereo with Netflix).

My older Sony BD player only does stereo on Amazon/Netflix and doesn't do Vudu at all. eek.gif

post #12969 of 13060 Old 04-21-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, have no idea when it happened (and I follow these things so I should have been among the first to know about it), but Amazon Instant Video is now streaming a lot of its stuff in 1080p.

The Fire TV box starts streaming all Amazon stuff in 720 (kind of like Netflix starting everything in SD) with the info display showing "HD", then a few minutes in, boosts the stream to 1080p, with the info display showing "HD 1080p."

Good news for when Under the Dome comes back in June, as I believe Amazon has exclusive streaming rights to that show. Amazon's 720p streams blew away KMOV's multicast-crippled 1080i broadcasts last year.

post #12970 of 13060 Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 139
It might have happened very recently, Bob. When I got the Roku 3, I watched the pilot episode of Eureka. It was 720p. A while later, I watched an episode from season 3, and it was 1080p. Now, everything I see on Amazon is 1080p. The overall quality seems to be better than when I first started streaming, so maybe it's a systematic upgrade for Amazon. Both Amazon and Netflix look far better than OTA has for a long time. I took the time the other day to do some comparisons. The difference is remarkable.

Joe Clark

post #12971 of 13060 Old 04-24-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, much as we like to bash Charter around here, I have to give them credit for one thing. Charter doesn't deliberately FUBAR Netflix streams to extort money from Netflix.

Anyone not happy with Netflix's announced price hike (a buck or two per month), blame Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon. Comcast got Netflix to cave, and pay them not to starve Netflix bandwidth. AT&T and Verizon are both trying to get a piece of the same action.

I'd like to send a great big thank you to Charter for not pulling the same stunt.

post #12972 of 13060 Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM

Liked: 12
Just call me one of little faith. Give Charter time. Just like all the fees the airlines have adopted, one business starts something and nearly all will follow.

Reynolds:"Not much faith in plan A?"
O'Neill:"Since when has plan A ever worked?"

Stargate SG-1, episode 143, "Evolution"

post #12973 of 13060 Old 04-28-2014, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

This all boils down to a money grab. Sooner or later, the BIG internet providers are going to figure out a way to squeeze more dollars out of all users. If Netflix needs to pay a few more bucks to ensure delivery is jitter-free, they will simply pass those fees onto their subscribers. The providers will be essentially double or triple dipping: Charging Netfix for "broadband" access, charging me for "broadband" access, and then adding an additional fee for QoS, which they most likely cannot or will not guarantee.
post #12974 of 13060 Old 04-28-2014, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moman19 View Post

This all boils down to a money grab. Sooner or later, the BIG internet providers are going to figure out a way to squeeze more dollars out of all users. If Netflix needs to pay a few more bucks to ensure delivery is jitter-free, they will simply pass those fees onto their subscribers. The providers will be essentially double or triple dipping: Charging Netfix for “broadband" access, charging me for "broadband" access, and then adding an additional fee for QoS, which they most likely cannot or will not guarantee.

And there’s not a damn thing you can do about it except scream and holler. The government certainly will not step in. The government can’t even decide what net neutrality is let alone enforce it. That’s the beauty of it all.
post #12975 of 13060 Old 05-03-2014, 07:32 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And there’s not a damn thing you can do about it except scream and holler. The government certainly will not step in. The government can’t even decide what net neutrality is let alone enforce it. That’s the beauty of it all.

Don't think the government is capable of addressing this issue. They are the masters of unintended consequences. Best thing to do is gripe to the provider or switch. We've all got many high speed Internet providers. Charter, Uverse, satellite, or mobile.

Reynolds:"Not much faith in plan A?"
O'Neill:"Since when has plan A ever worked?"

Stargate SG-1, episode 143, "Evolution"

post #12976 of 13060 Old 05-04-2014, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repair4man View Post

........Best thing to do is gripe to the provider or switch. We've all got many high speed Internet providers. Charter, Uverse, satellite, or mobile.

Griping may be a start but the options are limited. If you truly want ample broadband speed for reliable HD streaming, the only real choices are internet via cable or via fiber. In reality, most areas in the US are only served by a single cable operator while fiber is currently available only in limited locations. So while it's true that we do have ISP choices, moving to relatively slower DSL, mobile or satellite (really?) providers for quality HD streaming will probably be a step in the wrong direction.
post #12977 of 13060 Old 05-04-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Satellite is not an option. I have exede and that 10GB cap is worthless. If not for the Midnight to 5am unlimited period they would be worthless around the clock.

Mobile networks are hit and miss, none of the major providers are an option, but a few local options may offer unlimited plans, but they often throttle streaming and charge an arm and a leg for it.

The options for those of us that live in areas that cable or fiber refuse to run are just not up to it yet.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #12978 of 13060 Old 05-05-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah, Jack Bauer's back and I'm a happy camper! Spent nearly the entire two hours with a big ol' smile on my face, just like when I saw the Star Trek reboot movie!

post #12979 of 13060 Old 05-06-2014, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh yeah, Jack Bauer's back and I'm a happy camper! Spent nearly the entire two hours with a big ol' smile on my face, just like when I saw the Star Trek reboot movie!

And there were no Fox glitches! You may recall way back when HD got rolling, there were video breakups on almost every episode of 24, at the worse possible moment. Life is good........
post #12980 of 13060 Old 05-09-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey, when did 46-1 start broadcasting in 720p?

Not that it matters a whole lot, since with subchannels going all the way to 46-6, even in actual 720p now 46-1 still doesn't look that great.

post #12981 of 13060 Old 05-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey, when did 46-1 start broadcasting in 720p?

Not that it matters a whole lot, since with subchannels going all the way to 46-6, even in actual 720p now 46-1 still doesn't look that great.

I will need to take a look. Although channel 9-1 is "passable" (not great) with its 3 other sub channels, perhaps 46-1 has simply proven you can only slice up the pie into so many pieces before all you have is crumbs.

I took a look. It actually looks OK. Certainly good enough for wall to wall reruns and better than the previous 4 x 3 480i.
post #12982 of 13060 Old 05-09-2014, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It looks like 30-3 is going away. There running a crawl right now saying that ZUUS Country no longer airs on the channel and to download an app. Any idea what there replacing it with?
post #12983 of 13060 Old 05-09-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Come on Disney content. Maybe some classic Marvel cartoons. There just isn't enough good cartoons on broadcast here.
kc9hzn likes this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #12984 of 13060 Old 05-10-2014, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Come on Disney content. Maybe some classic Marvel cartoons. There just isn't enough good cartoons on broadcast here.

Yeah, I've been rooting for a classic Disney diginet for quite some time, too. As a matter of fact, why don't I write up a rough draft of something Disney fans, antenna fans, and of course, parents and children would LOOOVE to see for real one day (after all, THIS is the St. Louis thread...):

September 1, 2014

Disney-ABC To Replace "Live Well" With New Retro Family Diginet; Classic Disney To Finally Return To TV After 12+ Years

(BURBANK, CA) Disney-ABC Television Stations Group and The Walt Disney Company announced today that they will jettison the five-year-old Live Well Network in favor of yet another classic digital subchannel targeted at families, a first for this rapidly-growing industry. Called "Telemagic!", the new network is set to soft-debut on January 3, 2015 with a "Zorro" marathon and make its grand opening on Monday, January 5, 2015 with a "Fantasia" showing in primetime.

The new network will largely focus on movies, TV series, and cartoons from the Disney library dating from the 1920s to December 2000. In addition, selected titles from the Touchstone, Hollywood, ABC Pictures, ABC Circle Films, Jim Henson, and recently-acquired Marvel and Lucasfilm studios will be featured on the diginet as well. A late-night block entitled "Pleasure Island in Telemagic!" will feature adult-oriented movies (e.g. Touchstone titles and "ABC Movies of the Week") plus repeats of "Moonlighting" and "Dark Shadows", amongst other offerings.

"Telemagic!" will be unique for that 15 hours of FCC-mandated E/I programming will be offered each week; "Mousercise", "Bill Nye the Science Guy", "Bear in the Big Blue House," and "The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" will be shown weekday mornings from 7 to 10 A.M. The new diginet will purchase a maximum amount of actual advertising as opposed to infomercial-type advertising, a first for a subchannel. Some hours will have sponsors encouraging healthier lifestyles for children and families. Finally, four satellite feeds will provide the "Telemagic!" feed: Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific, similar in fashion to "The CW Plus" distribution.

Spokespeople for the new diginet include Hayley Mills, Kurt Russell, Frankie Avalon, Jim Cummings, and Jonathan Taylor Thomas, to name a few. Brian Cummings will be the "voice" of the new network through promos and movie block intros.

"Our nation's families, while different from over 20 years ago, still show an avid interest in classic Disney," states Anne Sweeney, President of Disney-ABC Television Group. "From DVD and streaming sales of classic Disney titles to a 'DuckTales' video game revival, plus losing Live Well affiliations in key markets like Phoenix, Denver, Salt Lake City and St. Louis, we feel that 'Telemagic!' (sic) is the direction we need to turn to for a future in digital broadcasting."

Arnold Kleiner, GM at ABC O&O KABC in Los Angeles, was really enthusiastic about the much-needed change. "Here in the home of Disneyland, what visiting tourists really want in their hotel rooms is a channel that plays classic Mickey shorts. And here in market #2, what families really want is a channel they can leave on all day, even with Dad watching with a bowl of pretzels at midnight. For example, families could kick off a G-rated movie night by watching 'Jeopardy' and 'Wheel of Fortune' on the main ABC channel and then tune up one notch afterwards to watch 'Mary Poppins.' Dad could then watch Steven Spielberg's 'Duel' after Mom and the kids have retired for the night. For families, parents, and our station, it's a win-win situation."

The ABC O&Os of New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, San Francisco, Raleigh, and Fresno will celebrate by airing a mini-series produced by KABC called "History of Vault Disney on TV: Then and Now," airing in four parts every Sunday afternoon this November. Markets holding a current Live Well affiliation will hold local celebrations in association with local organizations. Washington D.C.'s WJLA, for example, will hold a kid orchestra at Capitol Hill featuring music from classic Disney movies. Dallas's WFAA will join local retailer Neiman Marcus in an "Orlando Fortnight," to take place at the downtown store in October. Rare Disney memorabilia will be on display and auctioned off, and the Zodiac restaurant will serve Florida-inspired dishes in addition to character breakfasts with Chef Mickey and friends, the first such character meal held outside Disney property. And Seattle's KING 5 will hold a "Capcom Midnight Madness" at the University of Washington campus, with a surprise appearance by Bill Nye and a chance to win a Disneyland family getaway, courtesy of Alaska Airlines.

Sweeney hopes that the conversion to "Telemagic!" will not only leave Disney, Gannett, and Scripps committed to Disney-ABC syndication, but will hopefully add new station groups as well, such as Hearst. One of the inspirations of this rebranding came from Comcast rebranding Nonstop as COZI TV; their affiliate roster skyrocketed from 10 affiliates to almost 50 as a result. The new diginet will air in 480i resolution at 16x9, and will complement an ABC deal with WeatherNation on their O&O stations; that network will also air in 480i and 16x9. Meanwhile, the Live Well shows will be offered by Disney-ABC Domestic Television for syndication; affiliate deals are to be announced.

(standard press release legalese here)

C'mon, Disney. You can make it happen. wink.gif
post #12985 of 13060 Old 05-10-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I so want that channel. Please have Gargoyles reruns, I miss that show.

Didn't Live Well (4.3) get pulled recently or was it moved to another slot that I am forgetting?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #12986 of 13060 Old 05-11-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Livewell went away several months ago. It was not replaced.
post #12987 of 13060 Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
LOL at the last 2 posts -- it's just a joke press release! I was just building some enthusiasm for IF ABC decided to replace Live Well on its 67 surviving affiliates with something else... (Hey, even RabbitEars tried two April Fool press releases) biggrin.gif

While we're on topic of old Disney, however, what's ironic is that I looked at Salt Lake City listings and saw that KBYU 11-2 plays guess what? OLD DISNEY MOVIES! I found movies like "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes", "Old Yeller", and more! They CAN be streamed on the BYUtv website or by downloading the free BYUtv app on your device or streaming box.

Finally, I could have sworn that I found "Operation Dumbo Drop" (1995 Disney film) on Bounce as well as Disney/Paramount co-productions "Popeye" and "Dragonslayer" (both early 80s) on MOVIES! (still not available in St. Louis, however.)

Anyway, let's keep our fingers crossed! ABC, I hope you can make this wish come true!
post #12988 of 13060 Old 05-11-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I will hurt whoever faked that. They got my hopes way up for a worthwhile channel.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #12989 of 13060 Old 05-11-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linxs View Post

It looks like 30-3 is going away. There running a crawl right now saying that ZUUS Country no longer airs on the channel and to download an app. Any idea what there replacing it with?

As of this afternoon, ZUUS is still on Sinclair's sister station WICS-20.2 up the road here in Springfield--but it will not surprise me if it goes bye-bye here in west central Illinois soon (especially after Sinclair dropping CoolTV from most of their stations, including 30.2 and WICS's Champaign repeater WICD-15.2, a couple years back) and the subchannels go blank (since Cool's old slots in St. Louis, Peoria/Bloomington, and Champaign have not been replaced since--here in Springfield we've only had Country Network/ZUUS on this side of the Champaign/Decatur/Springfield DMA).
post #12990 of 13060 Old 05-11-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I suppose just bringing 30-1 back to full bandwidth glory is out of the question? biggrin.gif

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page