post #13051 of 13054 Old 08-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
It's the luck of the draw with Charter installers. I suggested my parents switch to Charter from ATT because of some changes in their household. The first guy who showed up was a mess. Kept asking if they had a dog, complained about this and that, and then said he had been stung by a bee (at first he said 3 times, then 2, but I couldn't see a mark on him). He waited for his supervisor to bring bug spray and futzed around for 4 hours before saying we'd have to hire an exterminator to get rid of the pest problem. I rescheduled but did nothing about the bees. Three days later the next Charter tech did the install without a single complaint, like all the other service guys who've done work around that house over the years.

As I said recently, I really like Charter Internet service. I'm consistently getting about 103 mbps now. My nephews were over the other night, streaming "Kickin' It" on Netflix while I was streaming something else on Netflix in the other room. Not a single drop for that 2-3 hour period. The only drop I've had was in the wee hours, when I had a complete loss of service twice. Otherwise, it's been very solid.
Charter install round 2 went very well. It was an actual Charter guy and he was very pleasant and easy going. He thought he was coming out for a simple re-connect and did not complain that he had to do a new run from the pole to my house in the rain. He brought in an Arris modem and I asked if he had a Cisco on the truck. He didn't, but called the office and they had one. He drove over and picked it up. I can't say enough nice things about him and we exchanged gamertags.

I am getting 105 on Charter's speedtest.net site (the Olivette site). I haven't had a chance to check out Netflix yet, but I will tonight.

Edit: I LOVE my router. I did a reset and it figured everything out. The only thing that gave me trouble was my Cinema Connect from D* for on demand and their apps. Everything else that was wireless figured it out with no input from me. FWIW it's an Asus RT-N66U running Merlin's firmware. It's nothing drastic like Tomato. He just makes it better like being able to turn off the lights on the router. No 802.11ac devices so it fits my needs.

Vizio M602i-B3

Last edited by MoInSTL; 08-09-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13052 of 13054 Old 08-24-2014, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have Charter internet and having problems?

As of yesterday, Charter is having DNS routing issues nationwide. Don't know (and don't care, you'll see why below) if they've gotten it fixed today.

Because if you're a computer geek you can bypass Charter's issues and fix it yourself.

Change your default DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's DNS server) instead of automatic (using Charter).

You can do this per computer/device, or in your router which will apply to all devices connected to it (wired or wireless). If you have several PC's and Smart TV's and Roku boxes and stuff, it's best to do it in the router (so you only have to do it once).

Should solve your internet problems instantly, and you do NOT have to change this setting back if and when Charter gets its own problems fixed.

https://developers.google.com/speed/...dns/docs/using

You can also Google "how to manually change DNS on _____ router"
Replace _____ with your router make/model.

Hope this helps.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #13053 of 13054 Old 08-24-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
Because if you're a computer geek you can bypass Charter's issues and fix it yourself.

Change your default DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's DNS server) instead of automatic (using Charter).
Or if you are even geekier you can run Steve Gibson's DNS utility and find several that are faster than Google.

Quote:
You can also Google "how to manually change DNS on _____ router"
Replace _____ with your router make/model.
Alas, not the Motorola NVG510 Residential Gateway supplied by AT&T -- they lock it in. You can, however, set it for each network interface (NIC) and they will bypass the Residential Gateway's slow defaults.

Lots of fun.............
Robert Simandl likes this.

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #13054 of 13054 Old 08-24-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Thanks, guys. I first noticed the problem yesterday after adding a gig switch and plugging in a few devices for my nephew's system (while also experiencing audio issues). After I finished the cabling, there was no Internet access. I spent a couple of hours troubleshooting, only to give up to watch the Cardinals game. Later, a friend called and said, "So, what's going on with Charter Internet?" He then described exactly the same symptoms as I was having earlier. I also found out that, although I was running, Internet access was unusually wonky on my own system. Good to know it wasn't anything I'd done - just an unusual coincidence. I'm going to make the change later today.
Robert Simandl likes this.

Joe Clark

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page