post #13141 of 13153 Old 02-19-2015, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by moman19 View Post
I don't have the D* option of selecting distant markets for guide data either.
The reason why they are doing this is NOT so much for guide data, but to even allow the D* receiver/OTA tuner to even display those subchannels AT ALL. Unlike E* receivers that allow OTA scanning, D* receivers do NOT allow this; you ONLY get the subchannels that D* has decided to put in their OTA database - hence why these folks have to resort to selecting other markets to allow the tuner to pickup & display these subchannels.

At one time, the HR34 Genie DID allow OTA scanning; they later removed this feature on a software "upgrade" - idiots!

Sorry, but I MUCH prefer E* allowing scanning & displaying ALL your local channels, w/out having to resort to finagling the guide w/distant market (zip codes) to make it work. AND, you can at least set manual timers on the channels w/no EPG data.

BUT to turl's point, if E* is NOT going to keep the EPG updated with the proper subchannel guide info, then they should allow the receiver to default to PSIP data instead.

Last edited by dishrich; 02-19-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13142 of 13153 Old 02-23-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What's up with 30-3 Grit TV? Looks like they're broadcasting in the usual 4x3, but chopping off the top and bottom of the picture to make a "16x9" broadcast. The ratings logos and the Grit​ logos are off. WAY off. Very distracting.

Figured when I went out of town for a week to visit my parents, it'd be fixed when I got back. But it's not. Wonder if this going to be fixed soon (now not holding my breath)?

BTW, I tried posting this on KDNL's Facebook page (KDNL ABC St. Louis), but their "posts to page" never actually appear. They just apparently go straight to the trash can.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #13143 of 13153 Old 02-24-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Apparently KDNL gets the message even though it never appears on their Facebook page. They replied:

"According to our engineers, GritTV is sending us their signal this way. Our corporate liaisons have been in touch with them."

So I went to Grit's Facebook page and asked the same question. Will post back when I get an answer.

post #13144 of 13153 Old 02-27-2015, 12:08 PM
cb2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey all,

Apologies if this is not the correct place to put my question. Please move to appropriate locale if need be.

We are a Roku/Internet TV/OTA household.

My question is this:

I recently bought a Clearstream 2V antennae. I ran it into the house to a basement television.

Got probably all the channels one could pointing to ST. Louis.

I then split the signal 3 ways to reach other tv's. But lost a channel in the transition. RetroTV (13.1) out of St. Louis.

Not knowing a thing about OTA - I thought I would ask here.

Did the splitter cause the signal failure? I have not unsplit because we like having the OTA on the other TV's.

Thoughts? Again - thanks for taking the time and hope I posted in the correct place!
post #13145 of 13153 Old 02-27-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Were you getting 13-1? Are you sure you weren't watching Retro on 16-1?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #13146 of 13153 Old 02-27-2015, 12:52 PM
cb2

Apologies - I thought it was 13.2 - not 13.1.

However - the autoprogram on my tv had 16.1 in it which is also a STL affiliate. BUT - it now shows "weak or no signal."
post #13147 of 13153 Old 02-27-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you have the Clearstream mounted indoors or out? If it's indoors, the signal very well could be weak enough that the splitter further weakened it to the point that some channels dropped out.

But then, my antenna's outdoors and I don't get 13 or 16. But then, it's faced about 30 degrees in the wrong direction since a big windstorm several years ago. Never affected the channels I watch. But now that there's a few new channels I don't get, I might look into finally turning it back to where it's supposed to be.

BTW, still no answer from Grit TV about their funky aspect ratios of late.

post #13148 of 13153 Old 02-27-2015, 01:59 PM
cb2

The clearstream is mounted outdoors about 7 feet off the ground. I'm in Edwardsville and have my antennae facing approximately towards STL. But I have no idea how exact it is (I just sort of pointed it "that" way). Is there an iphone app that gives those sort of coordinates? If not - someone should create one!

Maybe it was 16.

I will plug the TV directly to the antennae later and report back. Something tells me it may be the splitter. I have no idea how old the splitters are.

Is there a preferred splitter brand?
post #13149 of 13153 Old 02-27-2015, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2 View Post
The clearstream is mounted outdoors about 7 feet off the ground. I'm in Edwardsville and have my antennae facing approximately towards STL. But I have no idea how exact it is (I just sort of pointed it "that" way). Is there an iphone app that gives those sort of coordinates? If not - someone should create one!

Maybe it was 16.

I will plug the TV directly to the antennae later and report back. Something tells me it may be the splitter. I have no idea how old the splitters are.

Is there a preferred splitter brand?
Check this site out and see if it helps. You enter your address and it shows you the direction and distance of each signal.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29
post #13150 of 13153 Old 02-28-2015, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

So now Grit TV 30-3 is apparently showing Universal Soldier in pillarboxed 4:3 inside a 16:9 area, letterboxed inside a bigger 4:3 area, pillarboxed in my TV's 16:9 area.... meaning there are BIG black bars on all four sides of the picture.

This is apparently deliberate because the GRIT logo is in the right place now, unlike the previous couple of weeks when it was cut off at the bottom.

KDNL told me last week this is how Grit was sending the signal to them in the first place. Is this channel (Grit, not KDNL) being run by the Three Stooges?

post #13151 of 13153 Old 02-28-2015, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 82
RetroTV is available on both Daystar stations:

13-2 which is WPXS. They broadcast from a cell tower-like structure near Breese and try to send a single to cover the cable head-ends in both St Louis and Mt Vernon. Edwardsville is fairly well off to the side of the very narrow main signal lobe of their antenna and reception of their channel 21 signal will be hit or miss in Edwardsville unless you really work at it and have some luck. Unless you're near the I64/US50 corridor in Illinois, dont expect reliable reception of this signal.

16-1 which is KDTL-LD. this is a low-power digital broadcasting at only 15,000 watts from the main antenna farm in Affton just south of I44 just outside the St Louis city limits.

A ClearStream 2 aimed at St Louis wouldn't be expected to pick up much of the WPXS signal, so, if it's very sporadic, that would be expected.

BTW, you don't need the VHF attachment of the C2V for St Louis television reception. I'd suggest removing it and simply hooking up to the back of the loop.
post #13152 of 13153 Unread Today, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Grit TV (30-3) is still baffling me with the formatting choices it's making.

Braddock: Missing in Action 3 was shown letterboxed inside a 4:3 area, which was pillarboxed inside a 16:9 area, meaning there were black bars on all four sides of the picture.

The entire movie was formatted like this. WHY???????

Last edited by Robert Simandl; Today at 06:17 PM.
post #13153 of 13153 Unread Today, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
Grit TV (30-3) is still baffling me with the formatting choices it's making.

Braddock: Missing in Action 3 was shown letterboxed inside a 4:3 area, which was pillarboxed inside a 16:9 area, meaning there were black bars on all four sides of the picture.

The entire movie was formatted like this. WHY???????

That's how normal 4:3 programming would appear on a 16:9 TV. I'm willing to bet that the letterboxed video was squashed vertically anyway and should have been presented as full 4:3. If Grit would ever get their act together and send the affiliates some video with proper aspect ratios it could go back to 16:9. Some spots are normal 4:3, some are anamorphic 4:3, movies are generally letterboxed but sometimes they are squashed. It's a miss mash of video formats. No way for any local station to correct for all of it. It's like a grade school project gone terribly wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page