St. Louis, MO - HDTV - Page 446 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
post #13351 of 13375 Old 06-22-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 43
And will show up on Android phones and tablets next week.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13352 of 13375 Old 06-22-2016, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by moman19 View Post
It always amazes me that these stations rush to add sub-channels but no one checks for PQ while they kill the bandwidth of the primary channel in the process. Don't these guys ever take a look at what they're broadcasting? This is just plain sloppy. I have to believe there are a few OTA monitors nailed to the walls. Then again, there may not be any humans left at the station in St. Louis to do any air checks. I believe the station is controlled out of Ohio! I'm ready for the day when the major networks will be available nationally just like HBO. I realize this can now be done to some extent via Over the Top means, but it would be nice to have this available via cable and satellite as well.

Rant off....
I'm surprised there are any sub-channels at all. What with less than 20% of the population relying on over the air broadcast. And (my rant) they don't use the subs effectively. Like when there is a storm way at the edge of the viewing area and KMOV interrupts a first run show to keep us informed of the danger of a storm that passed most of the viewing area an hour ago. That's when they ought to put the storm map on the screen, scroll a warning at the bottom and let their weather person babble to the people who need to hear it on a sub.
Rant off....

Reynolds:"Not much faith in plan A?"
O'Neill:"Since when has plan A ever worked?"

Stargate SG-1, episode 143, "Evolution"

post #13353 of 13375 Old 07-01-2016, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've been a DIRECTV subscriber for 19 years (antenna only in the bedroom). Today began my 7 day free trial of PlayStation Vue and I am very impressed. I believe my PSVue (1/2 the price of DIRECTV), antenna, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix combo are going to suit me just fine. No more 2 year contracts and paying extras for DVRs and HD.
post #13354 of 13375 Old 07-13-2016, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Channels 5 and 11 signal strength

I am temporarily without my DirecTv service since we just had our roof replaced and have to wait until tomorrow for D* to get here to re-install and align the dish. We have had an Antennas Direct DB2 antenna in the attic for several years now as back up to satellite. In the past, we were able to pull in channels 2.*, 4.*, 5.*, 9.*, 11.*, 24.*, 30.* and 46.* just fine. Now, we are not able to get 5.* or 11.* at all. Has their signal strength dropped sometime in the recent past? Or does anyone have any ideas why we can't get these channel via antenna now? We live in O'fallon, MO around not far from Highway K/I-64.

Thanks
post #13355 of 13375 Old 07-13-2016, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouTiger View Post
I am temporarily without my DirecTv service since we just had our roof replaced and have to wait until tomorrow for D* to get here to re-install and align the dish. We have had an Antennas Direct DB2 antenna in the attic for several years now as back up to satellite. In the past, we were able to pull in channels 2.*, 4.*, 5.*, 9.*, 11.*, 24.*, 30.* and 46.* just fine. Now, we are not able to get 5.* or 11.* at all. Has their signal strength dropped sometime in the recent past? Or does anyone have any ideas why we can't get these channel via antenna now? We live in O'fallon, MO around not far from Highway K/I-64.

Thanks
Might be storm related problems. I normally get 2, 4, 5, 11, and 30 but lost 5 and 11 during the storm a couple hours ago and they're still not back.
post #13356 of 13375 Old 07-13-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWNelson View Post
Might be storm related problems. I normally get 2, 4, 5, 11, and 30 but lost 5 and 11 during the storm a couple hours ago and they're still not back.
Well, I can get 11 now ,but still no 5.
post #13357 of 13375 Old 07-13-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

As of 8:24PM, I have no problem with either 11 or 5. Just now was the first time I've been able to turn on the TV all day, so can't say what reception was earlier.

post #13358 of 13375 Old 07-14-2016, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
As of 8:24PM, I have no problem with either 11 or 5. Just now was the first time I've been able to turn on the TV all day, so can't say what reception was earlier.
5 was back for me when I checked at 9 yesterday evening. How about for you?
post #13359 of 13375 Old 07-14-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWNelson View Post
5 was back for me when I checked at 9 yesterday evening. How about for you?
5 was coming in fine first thing this morning, but then started going in and out. As of right now, not able to get it via antenna. All the other channels are coming in just fine.
post #13360 of 13375 Old 07-14-2016, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that you mention it, 5.1 has been breaking up into a line of little squares across the picture sometimes. This just seems to have started last week.

post #13361 of 13375 Old 07-15-2016, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
Now that you mention it, 5.1 has been breaking up into a line of little squares across the picture sometimes. This just seems to have started last week.
Hey Bob, Are you viewing channel 5 via OTA or satellite? I too noticed the black pixels and assumed it was related to my E* receiver since it was only obvious on that channel and most likely unrelated to any OTA transmitter issues.
post #13362 of 13375 Old 07-15-2016, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

It's over the air, so I imagine it's also on every cable and satellite box no matter who the provider is.

post #13363 of 13375 Old 07-21-2016, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

CenturyLink Rolls Out New Fees for Going Over Your Data Cap

See more at: http://cordcuttersnews.com/centuryli....Jz250LfW.dpuf

I guess one positive thing about Charter merging with Time Warner cable is the no data cap for seven years rule, since in this area the only two choices for internet are Charter and CenturyLink.

By the way, during the year I had CenturyLink, I was on the 10mbps plan. But since I was too far from the "node," they cut me down to 5mbps even though I was "officially" still on the 10mbps plan. So would that have counted as 7mbps and above, or as below 7mbps?

Much as Charter sucks, it still sucks less than CenturyLink.

http://cordcuttersnews.com/centuryli...oing-data-cap/

post #13364 of 13375 Old 07-27-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

2016 Samsung TV and HDHomeRun Owners Do *NOT* Update TV Firmware!

Well, crap. Just got this email from SiliconDust, maker of the HDHomeRun tuners:

Important - disable firmware auto-update on your Samsung TV today. Do not install the 1121 firmware.

Back in June we released HDHomeRun live TV and DVR support for RUI supported by Samsung 2016 series 6, series 7, and series 8 smart TVs. DVR direct on your TV without a set-top-box.

Samsung firmware update 1121 is being pushed to Samsung 2016 TVs right now. This firmware release appears to remove the RUI feature that shipped with these TVs.

Samsung TVs default to auto-updating the firmware - for the moment Silicondust recommends disabling the auto-update feature and not upgrading to 1121 until more information is available. Once updated there does not appear to be an easy way to roll back to the factory firmware.

We have reached out to Samsung for comment and will provide further updates as the situation is better understood.

I immediately went to my TV and found 1121 had juuuuuuuust updated. And sure enough, no HDHomeRun RUI functionality, only DMS functionality (sees each channel as a "folder" as if the tuner were a media server).

Dammit. Between this and the Vudu fiasco, I never had problems like this with my dumb TV's and smart boxes.

post #13365 of 13375 Old 07-28-2016, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

As a current owner of only dumb TVs, I must admit that I don't understand what your issues are (RUI? DMS?) but I'm sure I'll eventually find out. That's the problem with smart devices. Sometimes good features that aren't broken get "fixed" and eventually someone will figure out how to infect the displays with viruses or some other nightmare scenario. Is there a way to roll back to the previous release? I'll bet there isn't.......that would be too damn SMART!
post #13366 of 13375 Old 07-28-2016, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been a Smart TV owner myself for a grand total of a month, having previously owned Panasonic dumb plasmas and Fire TV boxes. Have a hunch I'm going to continue using the Fire TV for most of my streaming needs (except for Vudu and 4K programs with HDR, neither of which are supported by the FTV).

post #13367 of 13375 Old 08-21-2016, 05:30 AM

4.2 is now broadcasting MeTV in 16:9. Unfortunately, they are cropping the picture instead of using bars. I think it started yesterday.
post #13368 of 13375 Old 08-21-2016, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking at Welcome Back Kotter right now, it appears they're doing some combination of cropping AND windowboxing.

The show still has black bars on the sides, but they're not as big as they used to be. And everyone doesn't look short and fat like when TNT stretches "Charmed" on weekday mornings. I'd put the aspect ratio at maybe 1.5 to 1, somewhere between 4:3 and 16:9. So yeah, looks like they're cropping a bit off the top and bottom, too.

The commercials are actual 16:9.

post #13369 of 13375 Old 08-21-2016, 06:43 AM

Shows with higher quality originals don't look too bad. For example, Emergency! and Gilligan's Island looked much better then Welcome Back Kotter. While I prefer cropping to stretching, I'm very disappointed they've moved away from OAR.
post #13370 of 13375 Old 08-29-2016, 04:42 PM

Just to add to my previous post, The Carol Burnett Show was on the other night and during the opening segment where she is on stage taking questions from the audience, the picture cut off at her shoulders. That's right, her head was cropped out of the picture. After I saw that I removed 4.2 from my favorite channels.
post #13371 of 13375 Old 08-30-2016, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcthespark View Post
Just to add to my previous post, The Carol Burnett Show was on the other night and during the opening segment where she is on stage taking questions from the audience, the picture cut off at her shoulders. That's right, her head was cropped out of the picture. After I saw that I removed 4.2 from my favorite channels.
Yikes!

post #13372 of 13375 Old 09-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

How many years before they get it right? It's just plain sloppy broadcasting. I really feel for the folks who rely on the OTA subs for their viewing ----Sloppy screen formatting along with an endless stream of ads. Obviously, no one at the station bothers to monitor the PQ.
post #13373 of 13375 Old 09-05-2016, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by moman19 View Post
How many years before they get it right? It's just plain sloppy broadcasting. I really feel for the folks who rely on the OTA subs for their viewing ----Sloppy screen formatting along with an endless stream of ads. Obviously, no one at the station bothers to monitor the PQ.
I believe quite a bit of it may go back to what MeTV is providing. I didn't see the Carol Burnett incident, but I've been recording & watching Emergency! reruns from U-Verse on MeTV HD (yes HD) and there are fairly regular freezes and drops. The PQ in general on UVerse has been terrific on Emergency! Must be using DVDs generated from the original film. Noticed the Dymo label on their radio was misspelled. Said, "RESUE 51"

Reynolds:"Not much faith in plan A?"
O'Neill:"Since when has plan A ever worked?"

Stargate SG-1, episode 143, "Evolution"

post #13374 of 13375 Old 09-05-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repair4man View Post
I believe quite a bit of it may go back to what MeTV is providing. I didn't see the Carol Burnett incident, but I've been recording & watching Emergency! reruns from U-Verse on MeTV HD (yes HD) and there are fairly regular freezes and drops. The PQ in general on UVerse has been terrific on Emergency! Must be using DVDs generated from the original film. Noticed the Dymo label on their radio was misspelled. Said, "RESUE 51"
The PQ for EMERGENCY! on Netflix is incredible, but they are missing 13 episodes and 6 of the made for TV movies. I purchased the recently released complete series DVD box set and the PQ is terrible. It wasn't until after they arrived that I found out they used old, crappy masters for seasons 1-5. They did use remastered versions for season 6 and the movies and they look very good.

Last edited by Barcthespark; 09-06-2016 at 06:23 PM.
post #13375 of 13375 Unread Today, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I have charter and some of my local channels have been breaking up like crazy. Tried to watch Pitch tonight and it was so frustrating with the constant breakups in video and audio. Anyone else experiencing problems?

Mike

xbox/psn: duke63031
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception