St. Louis, MO - HDTV - Page 447 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #13381 of 13397 Old 10-31-2016, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWNelson View Post
Is anyone else having more trouble picking up Fox 2 over the last couple days? The signal is always a bit weaker for me than 4,5,11 and 30, but it has been nearly unwatchable during the most recent two WS games. Nothing has changed with my setup other than more leaves have come off the trees.
No problems here today. Bare trees are actually BETTER for signal propagation at higher frequencies (cellular). Not sure it has much impact with blowtorch OTA transmitters unless you live in the fringe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13382 of 13397 Old 10-31-2016, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by moman19 View Post
No problems here today. Bare trees are actually BETTER for signal propagation at higher frequencies (cellular). Not sure it has much impact with blowtorch OTA transmitters unless you live in the fringe.
That's what I thought too, which is why this is driving me nuts. I am in Hazelwood but in a tree-filled valley so per tvfool, rabbitears, etc. reception of STL stations actually is nearly fringe-grade. But I can usually get 2, 4, 5, 11 and 30 to work. Not this past weekend though. It was at least a little better last night.
post #13383 of 13397 Old 10-31-2016, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post
I have charter and some of my local channels have been breaking up like crazy. Tried to watch Pitch tonight and it was so frustrating with the constant breakups in video and audio. Anyone else experiencing problems?
Yes, having the same issues (mid-county STL)
post #13384 of 13397 Old 10-31-2016, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's what I thought too, which is why this is driving me nuts. I am in Hazelwood but in a tree-filled valley so per tvfool, rabbitears, etc. reception of STL stations actually is nearly fringe-grade. But I can usually get 2, 4, 5, 11 and 30 to work. Not this past weekend though. It was at least a little better last night.
What type antenna are you using? If it's indoors, your best bet is to get a better model, a rooftop antenna or at least move what you have higher or into the attic.
post #13385 of 13397 Old 10-31-2016, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

I have the Winegard Freevision, http://www.winegard.com/freevision, roof mounted and aimed at about 172 degrees. I'm near Teson Rd./White Birch Park area part way down the slope toward the river with a tree-lined hill right in front between my location and the towers, and another 25 foot hill immediately behind, opposite the towers, that I believe signals may be refracting off of and causing multipath.
Any tips or recommendations on a different antenna for the location are appreciated.
post #13386 of 13397 Old 10-31-2016, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have the Winegard Freevision, http://www.winegard.com/freevision, roof mounted and aimed at about 172 degrees. I'm near Teson Rd./White Birch Park area part way down the slope toward the river with a tree-lined hill right in front between my location and the towers, and another 25 foot hill immediately behind, opposite the towers, that I believe signals may be refracting off of and causing multipath.
Any tips or recommendations on a different antenna for the location are appreciated.
In my opinion, that antenna may not be sufficient for your area. First, all stations in our market are UHF-only so the VHF component, which is probably more than half the metal you see is of no benefit. Sorry to say, but what's left is not much better than a UHF loop antenna. Look for a directional one that looks something like this: https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...V-Antenna.html

This one may be overkill, but smaller/shorter ones are available and you can aim them where the towers towers are. Stay away from UHF/VHF combo units as they are bigger and VHF buys you nothing.
post #13387 of 13397 Old 10-31-2016, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moman19 View Post
In my opinion, that antenna may not be sufficient for your area. First, all stations in our market are UHF-only so the VHF component, which is probably more than half the metal you see is of no benefit. Sorry to say, but what's left is not much better than a UHF loop antenna. Look for a directional one that looks something like this: https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...V-Antenna.html

This one may be overkill, but smaller/shorter ones are available and you can aim them where the towers towers are. Stay away from UHF/VHF combo units as they are bigger and VHF buys you nothing.
Thanks, no worries, I bought the antenna when I lived in a market that was half VHF. Will try changing out the antenna when I can!
post #13388 of 13397 Old 11-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, no worries, I bought the antenna when I lived in a market that was half VHF. Will try changing out the antenna when I can!
As an update, I replaced it today with an Antennas Direct ClearStream 4V. While I still am not getting PBS or Ion reliably, Fox is at least reliable now for hopefully watching the Cubs win tonight. I'll try adding a preamp next but this is good enough for today.
post #13389 of 13397 Old 11-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
As an update, I replaced it today with an Antennas Direct ClearStream 4V. While I still am not getting PBS or Ion reliably, Fox is at least reliable now for hopefully watching the Cubs win tonight. I'll try adding a preamp next but this is good enough for today.
Be sure to try different antenna directions. Reflection and refraction can perform strange tricks with radio signals, and the "best" direction may not be where you would guess.

Also try tipping the antenna so it aims a bit above horizontally, for the same reason.

PS: Their tower appears to be here.

---- Dan in Saint Louis

Last edited by Dan in St. Louis; 11-03-2016 at 08:12 AM.
post #13390 of 13397 Old 11-03-2016, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

It appears to be a good antenna but it is also omni-directional and cannot really be aimed to any great degree. This is why I prefer the "pointy" looking ones that can be aimed in a general direction. They are also better at rejecting any reflections that might arrive from different locations.
post #13391 of 13397 Old 11-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 63
KTVI's tower is located behind the football field of Lindbergh High. KETC's if along Tesson Ferry (Hwy 21) overlooking the Meramec river. WRBU's tower is a little further out 21, just south of High Ridge.

Quote:
It appears to be a good antenna but it is also omni-directional and cannot really be aimed to any great degree.
Not sure what antenna you're referring to, neither the FVHD30 nor the C4(v) is anything close to omni-like on UHF.

Tech support for Antennas Direct

Last edited by ADTech; 11-03-2016 at 02:13 PM.
post #13392 of 13397 Old 11-03-2016, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
KTVI's tower is located behind the football field of Lindbergh High. KETC's if along Tesson Ferry (Hwy 21) overlooking the Meramec river. WRBU's tower is a little further out 21, just south of High Ridge.

Not sure what antenna you're referring to, neither the FVHD30 nor the C4(v) is anything close to omni-like on UHF.
The fellow mentioned he purchased an Antennas Direct ClearStream 4V. Not certain but it looks rather non-directional.
post #13393 of 13397 Old 11-03-2016, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 105
He purchased both.

Quote:
Not certain but it looks rather non-directional.
Not even close in that judgement. It is QUITE directional. Go here and scroll down to the last section. http://www.hdtvprimer.com/antennas/temporarypage.html

Last edited by ProjectSHO89; 11-03-2016 at 06:19 PM.
post #13394 of 13397 Old 11-03-2016, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Whenever I get p.o.'d at Charter, I try to tell myself "at least we don't have ComCast."

http://cordcuttersnews.com/comcast-r...aps-28-states/

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #13395 of 13397 Old 11-04-2016, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
And will show up on Android phones and tablets next week.
You can also watch on computers now as of yesterday you can go to psvue.com/watch.
post #13396 of 13397 Old 11-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

The solution was tilting the antenna a little to better receive the signal refracting over the hill, as well as adding Antennas Direct's "Juice" preamplifier. Fox now comes in very reliably, as does PBS at least 95% of the time, and as an added bonus I am even picking up Ion (46) off and on.
post #13397 of 13397 Old Today, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question, please, re HD TV antennas: specifically, any thoughts about this one that popped up on my screen?
LAVA HD-2605 ULTRA Outdoor TV Antenna - UHF/VHF/FM/SDTV/HDTV/4K
List Price: $119.95
Our Price: $69.95
Sale Price: $69.95
The link to this is: http://www.tvantennasale.com/Lava-HD...FYGFaQodSj0ILA

I live in the St. Louis, MO area (more precisely, in Weldon Spring, about 1 mile north of the Hwy 40 / I64, MO Hwy 94 area. I am seriously considering "cutting the cord" on Charter Cable (keeping their internet, though). I presently have a good Android box so I can get all the KODI and other types of apps. Am also thinking of PlayStation Vue, too, for the sports that I would like to watch.

Will really appreciate thoughts and insights about the advisability of this. I do seem to be watching less TV, and never seem to watch the vast majority of channels on my basic cable package as it is.

Thanks!

Jim
St. Louis, MO area
My System:
AVRs: Yamaha RX-A2030, RX-V575, Denon AVR-X1100W Amplifier: Yamaha M-65
Speakers: Polk RTi12, Polk RTi6, Polk CSiA6, Polk CS350, Infinity Primus P362, Klipsch KSF-C5
Subs: Outlaw LFM-1 EX, Klipsch Synergy Sub-10

Last edited by jwb0007; Today at 12:57 PM. Reason: addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception