post #121 of 13060 Old 01-24-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bester View Post

A while ago Skippy_RQ set up a redirect address (www.stlhdtv.info) to give out to people that would take them directly to this thread. It also takes you to your last viewed post. I believe there was a stlhdtv.com, but that was given up for commercial purposes(IIRC).
Dug

Thanks Dug. I'm up to speed now.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 13060 Old 01-24-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by type7 View Post

Heres's the list again. ESPN full court basketball and NHL center ice have vanished. They won't even tune in anymore.

Here's ... what I can pick up with a samsung set top and an olevia built in qam tuner from charter.

67-3 TNT HD *could only get with the samsung set top box
79-10 - charter's vod/ppv commercial channel
**NOT AVAILABLE**80-15 thru 80-20 NHL Center ice
**NOT AVAILABLE**81-1 thru 81-6 - ESPN Full court basketball
**NOT AVAILABLE**81-11 thru 81-14 NHL Center ice
82-3 + 82-4 - PBS and PBS kids sub channel
82-6 - CW's sub channel thetube
83-7 - infomercials
90-15 - local real estate
93-61 thru 93-72 - blank with 93-72 having charter's vod/ppv commercials running in a tiny box in the upper right corner
102-3 - ksdk's sub channel weather
105-6 - abc
105-7 my46stl
105-8 thru 106-9 - various infomercials, charter ads, cspan, religious channels, home shopping
106-10 - wgn
106-11 thru 118-30 - more religious channels and infomercials with 118-30 the tvguide channel
After 118-30 - Other people's vod

...and yes, other people's vod includes both softcore and the hardcore variety in addition to everything else.

Interstingly, I have some differences. I live in the Brentwood area (local office is olivette).

I too have no NHL or ESPN

83-16 FSMW HD??

A bunch of blank channels too numerous to document.

Most of my VOD is in the 103-xxx range and 104-xxx range, although I have seen some channels on the 101-x and 101-xxx range.

I also do not get sound on any of the HD channels on the qam tuner. Any ideas on that one??
post #123 of 13060 Old 01-24-2007, 08:55 PM

So, I had an appointment scheduled for Charter to install a DVR tonight between 5 and 7 PM. I work in illinois, and I had a 4:00 pm meeting that I ended early to try to get home in time. Got home at 5:07 to see a note on my door saying that the installer was there at 5:00 exactly and had already left. I realize that I was a tad late, but when you give a customer a 2 hour time frame right after work, can't the installer wait 10 min to see if I'm coming? We can't all have significant others that stay home all day to wait for an installer! Does anyone know if he was supposed to wait just a tad? Anyway, called Charter to complain and reschedule. The operator said that she would page the installer and try to get him to come back. Of course, he did not. She also offered to reduce my bill by $20 a month for the next six months, and that saved me as a customer. Problem is they said they can't put the code in to reduce my bill until they install the DVR, and of course the next earliest date they could give me was Tuesday next week. When I called again after 7 pm to reschedule, I told them that I was going to dish if my bill was not reduced after install of the DVR. We'll see what happpens. People on the phone were nice, to their credit. Installer camping out at my house and leaving exactly at 5- not so nice.
post #124 of 13060 Old 01-24-2007, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kommissar View Post

So, I had an appointment scheduled for Charter to install a DVR tonight between 5 and 7 PM. I work in illinois, and I had a 4:00 pm meeting that I ended early to try to get home in time. Got home at 5:07 to see a note on my door saying that the installer was there at 5:00 exactly and had already left. I realize that I was a tad late, but when you give a customer a 2 hour time frame right after work, can't the installer wait 10 min to see if I'm coming? We can't all have significant others that stay home all day to wait for an installer! Does anyone know if he was supposed to wait just a tad? Anyway, called Charter to complain and reschedule. The operator said that she would page the installer and try to get him to come back. Of course, he did not. She also offered to reduce my bill by $20 a month for the next six months, and that saved me as a customer. Problem is they said they can't put the code in to reduce my bill until they install the DVR, and of course the next earliest date they could give me was Tuesday next week. When I called again after 7 pm to reschedule, I told them that I was going to dish if my bill was not reduced after install of the DVR. We'll see what happpens. People on the phone were nice, to their credit. Installer camping out at my house and leaving exactly at 5- not so nice.

Not to offend, but the only thing wrong with that story is you were late for your own install. Why should Charter give you anything? I don't understand why you would threaten to leave them after they showed up on time, were nice on the phone, and gave you $120 free money.

Scott
post #125 of 13060 Old 01-24-2007, 09:56 PM

Warning: Thread Hijack in progress....

Sorry to jack here, but I need some help. I live in Birmingham, AL and I'm trying to make a purchase off ebay. The seller refuses to ship the item, I don't know why, but that's what is keeping the auction low. If I can get it for a good price is there anyone in St louis that would pick it up and ship it to me. It has to be picked up at a post office this Saturday morning. I could send funds via paypal, personal check, or however. I'd send enough to pay for the item, the shipping, and some extra for your time. No risk to you, I'd actually be at your mercy.

If anybody has time this Sat am and is willing to do this favor for me, please email me and I'll send you more details.

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking.
Galen

rolader (at) hotmail (dot)com (sorry, I haven't posted here 5 times yet)
post #126 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki View Post

I decided it was time to give my retention friends at Charter a call to see if they were in an accommodating mood.

I prefaced my comments to them by saying that while I don't neccesarily disgree with Charter's stance with Belo & Sinclair, the bottom line is that I am unable to get ABC-HD & now CBS-HD (plus the NFL Network). I stated that I was strongly considering a move to D* and wanted to see what they could do for me.

Hey Saluki, quick question. Did you call the basic Charter number to talk to the retention people or is there a better number you can call?
post #127 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 06:41 AM

My 11-1 came back on it's own last night.

Guess they fixed something

Thanks,
Token
post #128 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _token_ View Post

I also lost my Centurytel internet this AM.
Anyone in St. Charles County having trouble with Ctel Internet?

Thanks,
Token

They had a fiber cut. It was out for the area until about 10:00pm last night.

Mike
post #129 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _token_ View Post

My 11-1 came back on it's own last night.

Guess they fixed something

Thanks,
Token

Mine, too. The issue Wed night was quite frustrating. My Series 3 TiVo worked fine for 11-1/11-2 but the HR10-250 didn't. I thought it was dying.

I sent an email to KPLR's technical dept asking for an explanation. I wonder if they'll respond.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Work began 2/15/05, finished 7.1 install 6/2005. Sold house 7/2007.
post #130 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfthomp View Post

Hey Saluki, quick question. Did you call the basic Charter number to talk to the retention people or is there a better number you can call?

I just called 1-888-438-2427 (888-GET-CHARTER) & pushed the # option to cancel services. It seems that the retention department is the only department that operates in a professional manner.
post #131 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just called 1-888-438-2427 (888-GET-CHARTER) & pushed the # option to cancel services. It seems that the retention department is the only department that operates in a professional manner.

It is a sad and all too common state of affairs when companies try very hard to sell you something, and try equally hard to stop you from leaving. However, they don't try hard enough in between to keep you from the later. Charter is just one example of this

Scott
post #132 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 08:58 AM

I guess its the unequalness of the relationship- they get a two hour window, I get 0 minute window. I agree that under the letter of the law I missed it, but it does not seem unresonable to recognize that a 5 pm timeslot is used because people are at work and are trying to get home. They actually offered the discount without without prompting. I only got a bit upset when talking to the second tech when resecheduling because he indicated that he could not do it without the DVR install, and I was worried that I was getting the run around. I'm always nice to people on the phone, since its usually not their fault. Anyway- I know I'm not completly free of fault here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tucker View Post

Not to offend, but the only thing wrong with that story is you were late for your own install. Why should Charter give you anything? I don't understand why you would threaten to leave them after they showed up on time, were nice on the phone, and gave you $120 free money.

Scott

post #133 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:

I guess its the unequalness of the relationship- they get a two hour window, I get 0 minute window. I agree that under the letter of the law I missed it, but it does not seem unresonable to recognize that a 5 pm timeslot is used because people are at work and are trying to get home. They actually offered the discount without without prompting. I only got a bit upset when talking to the second tech when resecheduling because he indicated that he could not do it without the DVR install, and I was worried that I was getting the run around. I'm always nice to people on the phone, since its usually not their fault. Anyway- I know I'm not completly free of fault here.

I understand Scott's point that you were not without fault. But I agree with you for the most part. I had to be at my father's house to receive a furniture delivery the other day. I had to leave the office to do it and could not get left in time. My thought on my way there was "Well they gave me a 3 hour window, surely they can wait 15 minutes." Luckily I beat them, I would have been SOL if they had been early and treated me as you were treated. I would have been upset also.

I can't think of a signature that wouldn't offend at least someone.
post #134 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's a pretty good Seinfeld episode that deals with this exactly. Its as funny as real life
post #135 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

There's a pretty good Seinfeld episode that deals with this exactly. Its as funny as real life

They found out that I'm getting the movie channels for free and now they want to take it away

There's Good TV, Better TV and DirecTV, but nothing beats a calibrated TV!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #136 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

black_

I can see you being surprised that they would show up at the first minute of the install window. But, the bottom line is that they held up their end of the bargain & you were not there. Additionally, they gave you a $20 per month discount.

It would seem that they should put a cell number for the customer in the work order & have the tech call in these instances. But, alot of these installers are contract guys that get paid per install & I can't really blame them for not waiting around hoping for someone to show.
post #137 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 09:57 AM

UGH! Talk about spending all my resources and banging my head against the wall. I cannot find anywhere that someone has successfully expanded their Motorola 3416 (or 3412, for that matter) storage space by hooking up an external hard drive via the USB 2.0, Firewire, or SATA ports. I really don't want to go shell out 200 bucks for a drive and then have to sit hoping that I can find drivers somewhere to make this work.

Any of you guys have any links or know any experts on these matters?
post #138 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

black_

I can see you being surprised that they would show up at the first minute of the install window. But, the bottom line is that they held up their end of the bargain & you were not there. Additionally, they gave you a $20 per month discount.

It would seem that they should put a cell number for the customer in the work order & have the tech call in these instances. But, alot of these installers are contract guys that get paid per install & I can't really blame them for not waiting around hoping for someone to show.

Thanks but its not me who had the problem
post #139 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

Thanks but its not me who had the problem

Sorry about that!

Response should have been directed to der_kommissar.
post #140 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt_DoUrden View Post

UGH! Talk about spending all my resources and banging my head against the wall. I cannot find anywhere that someone has successfully expanded their Motorola 3416 (or 3412, for that matter) storage space by hooking up an external hard drive via the USB 2.0, Firewire, or SATA ports. I really don't want to go shell out 200 bucks for a drive and then have to sit hoping that I can find drivers somewhere to make this work.

Any of you guys have any links or know any experts on these matters?

To the best of my knowledge I do not believe that the sata or USB 2 ports are activated. I base this on the officail Comcast 3416 thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=604142

Highlighted Comcast because the question is....Is it Comcast or the STB? Maybe Charter has enabled functionality. But I doubt it! This is why I cringed when I heard reports of Charters release of the 3416 on the verge of the 4.1 update Moxi release that will in fact enable external HDD storage. That is if Charter ever releases it!!!!!!!

BTW....The firewire should be activated. IMHO, archiving this route is a pain and ONLY allows for nonencrypted programs.
post #141 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 11:51 AM

The question I have is did they call prior to showing up at the house? In the last few weeks I had scheduled Charter to come out. I was told on the phone that the tech will call whatever number you gave them when they were close to your house. I had a 7 hour window though.....

Quote:

post #142 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, my hats off to you. I was pretty hard on you last night, and you aren't even flaming me. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for not taking my post the wrong way. I too would have been pissed if I didn't make it home in time only to find out i missed them. What usually happens is you are early and they are 3 hours later than the last time quoted.

Scott
post #143 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow, my hats off to you. I was pretty hard on you last night, and you aren't even flaming me. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for not taking my post the wrong way. I too would have been pissed if I didn't make it home in time only to find out i missed them. What usually happens is you are early and they are 3 hours later than the last time quoted.

Scott

Watching the posts unfold. Well handled. It could have gotten ugly.
post #144 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 01:18 PM

I'm not much of a flamer. Besides, I totally know that I really needed to be there before 5 just in case, and was trying hard to do so. I was really suprised and happy about being offered the discount. I'm really not one to demand anything from others, so I never would have asked for it. There was no call in advance from them other than the automated call the night before. They had both my cell phone and home phone. The operator I talked to also said she would have the installer call be back, which he never did. The funny thing was even though the appointment was missed, I still got the automated call from Charter asking about the quality of the service around 6:30- half an hour before the end of the service period.

I just hope they don't give the box to someone else and that I can still get the discount next week.
post #145 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSDO View Post

Watching the posts unfold. Well handled. It could have gotten ugly.

Well we all know what a curmudgeon Scott is. :P

Vizio M602i-B3
post #146 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Scott

Like anyone here is going to pick on a 7 year old
post #147 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The service appointments/installations I've had with Dish, and the few repair appointments I've had with Charter (pipeline), the tech has always called from his/her own cell a few hours before arriving, to verify the time. Some have called in the morning, and others, an hour-or-so before completing the prior service call.

I guess it's up to the individual installer, though, it would seem to me, it is in the best interest of the tech, as far as, keeping his/her day scheduled and organized.
post #148 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 01:59 PM

My last two Dish appointments they called the evening before and asked if I wanted to be their first appt at 7 AM. I said sure and that is when they arrived. The furniture, as I said earlier was the typical 3 hour window. I think I am gonna start a pizza place and guarantee delivery within a 3 hour window or it's free.

I can't think of a signature that wouldn't offend at least someone.
post #149 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't been active in the STL thread for quite a while. It's nice to see some of the same people are still active after 3 years.

I know I should go back and read this thread, and the last, but hopefully you guys won't mind my questions...

How is Charter these days? We just bought a Series 3 TiVo, which I set up on Wednesday, with the expectation that we'd go OTA only and cancel DirecTV. I haven't cancelled DirecTV yet, and now my wife is second guessing that decision. I need to decide if it's worth cancelling DirecTV and going with Charter (and getting cable cards for the S3), or if we should just stick with DirecTV and use the S3 for OTA only.

I'm frustrated with Charter's website with regard to pricing. They offer 3 month deals, but the price after that isn't very good. There's a 12 month winter deal going on for TV + Internet service, but as a current Charter Pipeline user, I'm not sure if I'd qualify.

. Work began 2/15/05, finished 7.1 install 6/2005. Sold house 7/2007.
post #150 of 13060 Old 01-25-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post

Well we all know what a curmudgeon Scott is. :P

Finally, I have a reputation.

Scott
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception