St. Louis, MO - HDTV - Page 54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1591 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been lurking for a few days and have noticed the AT&T love and the Charter hate. I have a question in regards to that... Do you all know that AT&T has been giving access to their switching rooms to the NSA? Their offices in the St. Louis area have been specifically mentioned as being a part of this. Or is it a non-factor with most people here? I personally don't like my phone records, conversations and TV viewing habits being forwarded to the government without my knowledge or consent. As soon as I found out, I dumped my land line and cingular service (was already using cable modem because it offers more stable, faster service).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazattak View Post

I've been lurking for a few days and have noticed the AT&T love and the Charter hate. I have a question in regards to that... Do you all know that AT&T has been giving access to their switching rooms to the NSA? Their offices in the St. Louis area have been specifically mentioned as being a part of this. Or is it a non-factor with most people here? I personally don't like my phone records, conversations and TV viewing habits being forwarded to the government without my knowledge or consent. As soon as I found out, I dumped my land line and cingular service (was already using cable modem because it offers more stable, faster service).

spazattak,

Welcome to the forum. Keep in mind, everything you type on this forum is being monitored by the NSA.

Scott
post #1593 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tucker View Post

spazattak,

Welcome to the forum. Keep in mind, everything you type on this forum is being monitored by the NSA.

Scott

Not too worried... I'm already on the list ;-)

and thanks
post #1594 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 09:02 AM

I posted this in the Charter forum, but I guess no one really goes there.

Can anyone who had the Moxi and now has the 6416 tell me if the SD PQ is significantly improved? I like the Moxi, but who cares about 4.1 if the picture is meh?

I'd appreciate any info you guys offer.
post #1595 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspec2 View Post

FYI....I transferred the whole movie to my hard drive from the DVR. I find that when I record HD OTA, it runs about 8 gig per hour. This 1:45 movie took 9.2 gig. It seems Charter is shaving bits also.

The movie still looks a lot better than the rented DVD, scaled. Now I need the price of burners to come down. It obviously will not compare with the new HD players.

Walt

I assume that you mean a standalone unit, but if you wanna go the PC internal drive route, you won't get much cheaper than this.

BTW, if I'm breaking some forum rule I don't know about (I honestly reviewed the "forum rules" & an still unsure what is allowed by posting the above link, would someone please let me know...
post #1596 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabizzle View Post

I posted this in the Charter forum, but I guess no one really goes there.

Can anyone who had the Moxi and now has the 3416 tell me if the SD PQ is significantly improved? I like the Moxi, but who cares about 4.1 if the picture is meh?

I'd appreciate any info you guys offer.

I noticed a significant improvement in SD when my folks switched from the MOXI to the 6416. Others have stated they did not see any problems with SD on the MOXI.

Dave
post #1597 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLR156 View Post

I assume that you mean a standalone unit, but if you wanna go the PC internal drive route, you won't get much cheaper than this.

BTW, if I'm breaking some forum rule I don't know about (I honestly reviewed the "forum rules" & an still unsure what is allowed by posting the above link, would someone please let me know...

Sweet,
hopefully this will drop to $350 by Xmas

Dave
post #1598 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspec2 View Post

FYI....I transferred the whole movie to my hard drive from the DVR. I find that when I record HD OTA, it runs about 8 gig per hour. This 1:45 movie took 9.2 gig. It seems Charter is shaving bits also.

The movie still looks a lot better than the rented DVD, scaled. Now I need the price of burners to come down. It obviously will not compare with the new HD players.

Walt

Thanks for the follow up.

Who sets the 5c encryption flag? Cable Cos or otherwise?
post #1599 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duihlein View Post

I noticed a significant improvement in SD when my folks switched from the MOXI to the 6416. Others have stated they did not see any problems with SD on the MOXI.

Dave

Is Charter distributing both 34xx and 64xx series Motorola STB's?
post #1600 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I thought he was talking BluRay or HD-DVD computer burner....
post #1601 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 09:53 AM

thanks for the info, Dave!
post #1602 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I say lower, I was referring more towards the price of the units below it. I am not particularly a BR fan (hate sony and their perceived quality) but if it sold in the hundred dollar range I would be all over it. I am very patient when it comes to my wife's wallet so which ever format reaches my price point first, I will probably purchase that type. It is an extinct possibility that I will end up with both formats eventually. It is unlikely that a combo burner will be affordable before the next attempt to get us to repurchase all our home video.

Charter is distributing the 3412 and 3416 Motorola boxes. I notice a considerable improvement in HD PQ over the Moto 6200 that I had. SD seems to be about the same. I have not viewed SD on a Moxi for any length of time so I can not comment.

I don't know if posting the link was a violation unless you own Newegg.

Walt
post #1603 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 10:59 AM

Feel lucky. I live in the High Ridge area also and can get neither Charter nor DSL where I live. I finally broke down and got Sprint EVDO which I share over wi-fi in my house with Kyocera KR1 router. I get about 400K to the desktop checked with internetfrog. If I connect the card directly to the laptop I get close to 1MB peaks.
Its not great..and its not cheap..but its better than 26.4 dialup!!
post #1604 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 12:00 PM

post #1605 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 12:15 PM

Well, my D* service hasn't worked since Tues morning... I thought it might just be the software updates coming out for the HR20, so I let it go on Tues, & all day Wed.

The problem started out that when the receiver would power up it would lock up trying to retrieve the guide data. It did actually work for a bit, late on Tues night, so I decided to check the signal strength, the highest # on there was about 75, most were in the 40's & 50's. Starting Wed morning the unit was searching for software updates & after about 20 min or so of not getting anything it would shut it's self off. I tried numerous reboots & even unplugging the unit several times, all to no avail.

I came home at 11:30 last night & it still didn't work, so after numerous reboots & unplugging the unit several times (again) I finally called D* to schedule a service visit, which they've scheduled for Mon afternoon, with notes on the work order that the tech should be a "lead installer" & they're supposed to call me before they come, so I don't take off work early (3:00) & have the guy show up at 8:30pm like he did when I got my HD-DVR upgrade.

When I went home today at lunch it was locked up trying to retrieve the guide data again (I wonder if it ever got the software download?) & decided to climb out onto the back porch roof & have a look at the dish's mount. I found that when I grabbed the dish mast it would wobble around quite a bit with very little effort (even one of the mast stays was loose). It looks as though the installer used some 1/4" or 5/16" lag screws to fasten the dish mount & the two mast stays to the roof, but it's not very solid. My house is 80yrs old; the roof deck is individual 1 x 6 boards. My guess is that some of the screws on the dish mount may have landed in the gaps between the boards, but don't know for sure since it's installed near the edge of the roof, & the overhang is enclosed. I would have certainly thought that the installer would have checked to see if the mounts were solid & everything was tightened down properly before leaving, but judging by the info I've received recently, a "shoddy" install is not that uncommon.

I would like to have the dish moved in further on the roof so that the mounting points fall inside the exterior wall. This way I could add a "backing plate" (piece of 1 x 10 or something similar) & use nuts & bolts all the way through for a more solid mount. My attic is unfinished, so it's readily accessible, & I don't have to be concerned with a "pretty" install.

I wonder if the tech they send would do this. I'd be more than happy to get the wood & bolts, nuts, washers, etc. but don't want to waste my time if the tech will refuse. The one downside I see to moving the dish would be that the tech would no longer be able reach the dish while standing on the back porch roof, but would instead have to climb onto the main roof to make connections or adjustments.

Two other notes about my current install:

There is no grounding of the dish that I can see.
There are only two rg6 lines running from the dish, down & to the receiver.
(No switches, etc. & I only have one TV / receiver in the house)

As far as I know there was no ground on my old SD dish either, & the installed did not run any new RG6 when I got my upgrade, the lines are the same two belden 1613a lines installed when I first got my SD D* service two & a half years ago. (There was previously no cable installed to or in the house)

Any comments, ideas or opinions?

-Scott
post #1606 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Just to clarify, AT&T, Verizon, SBC and BellSouth were all implicated, it's a mixed bag of responses from Verizon and BellSouth whether they did/didn't. Lawsuits have been filed that also include Verizon and BellSouth. And don't bet against the thought that if Charter had a reasonably large installed telephone base that they would have participated as well.

Also, for the record, not to defend, the lawsuits do not propose that actual phone conversations were recorded. And TV habits? Not an issue here.
post #1607 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 01:54 PM

Along the lines of tracking viewer habits . ..one of the interactive features of D* HR20 is the What's Hot feature that shows a real time list of the most popular shows.
It has a break down by your current time zone and nationwide.

I kinda wich I could zoom in by zip code sometimes

Token
post #1608 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSDO View Post

Is Charter distributing both 34xx and 64xx series Motorola STB's?

My Bad. I fixed it.
Thanks
post #1609 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duihlein View Post

Dave

I have not switched, but have noticed an improvement in picture quality of Charters SD. It's of course not HD quality, but a significant improvement. Probably happened around Christmas as I recall.
post #1610 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 02:07 PM

TLR56 my D*service went out this morning and I am thinking it was because of the winds and I also have a piece that is loose on the dish I guess you could call it a arm and I do not know if it is needed.D*is coming out tomorrow to fix it so you are not alone.
post #1611 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Are you Jim Globe or just trolling??????
You have chosen your username well.
I think I may just change everything over to Charter and sit around with a tin foil cap on my head

post #1612 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

Are you Jim Globe or just trolling??????
You have chosen your username well.
I think I may just change everything over to Charter and sit around with a tin foil cap on my head

Tin foil only works against aliens.

Walt
post #1613 of 13037 Old 03-01-2007, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Those high winds moved my OTA antenna. It's my own fault for not going up and re-tightening the clamps last fall

I was up there in October....I remember giving it a "nudge," and thinking, "good job, guy...this baby ain't going anywhere" ²

Uhm...so Mo...watchya doin' this weekend, anyway
post #1614 of 13037 Old 03-02-2007, 04:43 AM

Circuit City has the Series3 HD Tivo for $634.00 online, and I was thinking about getting one and dumping most of my Charter TV service.
The Moxi has a blue vertical line on some analog channels, and not very good picture, but HD is good.
How good is the Series 3 for picking up hd signals? I live in a valley with poor reception and multiple analog ghosts. Does anyone know what tuner chips are in the Series 3? Thanks in advance!
post #1615 of 13037 Old 03-02-2007, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cards Fan View Post

Circuit City has the Series3 HD Tivo for $634.00 online, and I was thinking about getting one and dumping most of my Charter TV service.
The Moxi has a blue vertical line on some analog channels, and not very good picture, but HD is good.
How good is the Series 3 for picking up hd signals? I live in a valley with poor reception and multiple analog ghosts. Does anyone know what tuner chips are in the Series 3? Thanks in advance!

If that Moxi is no good, why don't you take it back to your Charter office. They issued me the new Moto 3416 without a service call. Just tell them a CSR told you it was no good, after the 1 hour "phone sex". I call it that because of the number of bad words you use when talking to thir computer.

Walt
post #1616 of 13037 Old 03-02-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cards Fan View Post

What output are you using, DVI or Component??? I believe I had a line similar to that on DVI but if I set the output to 480p instead of 480i I haven't noticed the line since.

-Phatty
post #1617 of 13037 Old 03-02-2007, 05:53 AM

Has anyone tried this video switcher? The price seems too good?

Vendor: Choice Select
Part#: CHO4005

Choice Select Component Audio/Video Switcher, 4 Inputs/1 Output
Our Price: $22.99 Buy

Now you can use the same television or monitor for a variety of uses, without switching wires! Use your camcorder, game console, VCR with ease. You can switch manually or use the handy auto-sensing feature. Choice Select brings you quality you can rely on, and a price you can afford.

Description
This Choice Select HDTV 4-way Audio Switcher is ideal for connecting DVD players, Cable boxes, Game consoles, Camcorders, VCRs etc. to one monitor, such as HDTV Display, Television or other device, without switching cables. This unit has 4 inputs and one output of either component video, composite video or S Video, plus stereo audio. The switch can be either manual or automatic. The auto-sensing feature will scan inputs 1-4 and output the last input signal found.
(Note: This device does not transcode, that is, the format of the input device must match the format of the output device. For example, input signal from a YPbPR device cannot be output to a YCbCr device.)

Features

4 Inputs / 1 Output
4 Component Video Inputs
4 S-Video Inputs
4 Composite Video Inputs
4 Stereo Audio Inputs
Manual or Automatic Operating Mode
115VAC Power Adapter Included
Channel Separation: 40dB (at 10MHz)
Video Bandwidth: 30MHz
Compatible with Progressive Scan YPbPr 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i
Compatible with Interlaced Scan YCbCr Component Video
Dimensions: 10in x 2in x 6in
Weight: 1.85 lbs
post #1618 of 13037 Old 03-02-2007, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DISH Network Execs Vow It Won't Lose HD Edge

The following except is from a story in today's TV Predictions newsletter:

TP: DIRECTV Vows to Offer 100 National HD Channels This Year. Are You Worried?

[Echostar President] Carl Vogel: "We recognize that DIRECTV has an aggressive plan with respect to HD...We have done extremely well with HD. I still think our price points are going to remain much more attractive than DIRECTV, with or without discounts...We are pleased with where we stand with HD. We do not plan on backing away from HD. We think we have an advantage with our HD DVR product and we think we have an advantage with our HD pricing.

In terms of additional content and additional markets, we can add to that as we move throughout '07.

TP: Charlie Ergen, Are You Worried?

[Echostar CEO] Ergen: "I think we have always said strategically we are not going to take a backseat to anybody in HD.

To read the entire TV Predictions story, click here

Doug

Clearly Resolved Image & Sound
Lion AV Consultants
ISF & THX Video Calibration
Real-time Twitter Home Theater News
post #1619 of 13037 Old 03-02-2007, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LIN TV, Cox Reach Agreement on Local Cable Carriage

Apart from the recent report that TW and Comcast will not pay for local channels, the momentum on this issue seems to be moving in the direction of cable carriers agreeing to terms with local stations.

From today's TV Predictions newsletter:

LIN TV and Cox Communications have reached an agreement that will allow Cox to carry LIN"s local HDTV channels in six markets.

The markets are: Providence, Rhode Island, Mobile, Alabama, Pensacola, Florida, Norfolk, Virginia, Springfield, Massachusetts and Hartford-New Haven, Connecticut.

LIN TV, which owns local stations in those markets, had refused to let Cox carry their high-def signals without being compensated. The dispute had denied nearly one million Cox subscribers an opportunity to watch their local channels in HD.

To read the full story, click here

Doug

Lion AV Consultants
post #1620 of 13037 Old 03-02-2007, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Comcast, Sinclair Extend Deadline for Digital Carriage Talks

From today's TV Predictions newsletter:

Comcast and Sinclair Broadcasting have agreed to extend its current carriage agreement until March 10. This will allow Comcast subscribers in several states to continue to watch Sinclair-owned local stations (standard definition and HDTV channels) while the negotiations continue.

Sinclair had threatened to force Comcast to pull the channels off the air at 2 a.m. today unless the cable operator agreed to pay for the signals. But the two companies simply extended the agreement today while talks could proceed.

Comcast serves approximately three million people in Sinclair markets nationwide, including Baltimore, Richmond, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis-St. Paul and Nashville.

Doug

Lion AV Consultants
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page