Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 8561 Old 10-02-2008, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrog View Post

Hopefully they are doubled logically, and not taking up extra bandwidth, but I doubt they are. I just remapped all the channels in my SageTV and it's all fine.

WFXTDT is 825 > 806
WLVIDT is 856 > 808
WSBKT is 838 > 814

It says in my Comcast bill that the change was beginning on 10/1 and will be completed by 10/28.

Well your answer would be in your PQ. I have noticed stuttering on my HD channels, especially lastnight during the Sox game and this condition seems to have coincided with the remapping of the 3 channels you stated above. This is a known side effect of the 3:1 muxing so I would say yes it is affecting bandwidth limitations but lets hope it's only for a short while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 8561 Old 10-02-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvt View Post

Are digital starter channels such as Hallmark and MSNBC in clear QAM ?

-Ken

I just did a rescan of my QAM tuner and am not picking up either of those channels.
post #3873 of 8561 Old 10-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Yes it's the permits from the town, probably negotiations with the power company (i think they own the poles), laying the fiber, etc. Talk to Bicker1, even with FioS in his town Verizon seems to be uninterested in connecting him up.

-Ken

My understanding is that the agreement with the town will eliminate Bicker's specific problem in that "cherry picking" will be forbidden. Verizon will be required to offer service for any Chelmsford household that requests it. I thought Verizon owned the poles as they seem to be the ones that were getting bitched at by the Town Council when the center was redone and the poles didn't get moved, as required. As always, there is a fair probability that I'm completely wrong.
post #3874 of 8561 Old 10-02-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Well your answer would be in your PQ. I have noticed stuttering on my HD channels, especially lastnight during the Sox game and this condition seems to have coincided with the remapping of the 3 channels you stated above. This is a known side effect of the 3:1 muxing so I would say yes it is affecting bandwidth limitations but lets hope it's only for a short while.

Just because they changed the channel number you see on your cable box to be 3 in a row, doesn't mean they are doing 3:1 muxing. In fact, all of the regional sports networks and the off air broadcasters are all still running 2:1. Easy enough to verify with a box, the diagnostics, and too much free time.
post #3875 of 8561 Old 10-03-2008, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post

My understanding is that the agreement with the town will eliminate Bicker's specific problem in that "cherry picking" will be forbidden. Verizon will be required to offer service for any Chelmsford household that requests it. I thought Verizon owned the poles as they seem to be the ones that were getting bitched at by the Town Council when the center was redone and the poles didn't get moved, as required. As always, there is a fair probability that I'm completely wrong.

I remember that when Comcast ran fiber in Chelmsford it was a good year before we saw the benefits of it.

-Ken
post #3876 of 8561 Old 10-03-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

The Motorola DCx-3416 is all set, of course -- your question, I'm sure, is limited to your DVDRs and VCRs.

The answer depends on decisions to be made by your local cable engineering group. The February 2009 DTV transition, itself, will have no direct impact on anything related to your cable service. However, separate from that, either before or after February 2009, your local Comcast head-end can be converted to (partial) all-digital. In that case, what the Comcast rep told you is correct to a certain extent, from "somewhat" to "totally", based on the capabilities of your DVDRs and VCRs... in most cases, what the Comcast rep said, again, in the case of conversion of your Comcast head-end to (partial) all-digital, would be "totally" correct. We need to know the model numbers for your DVDRs and VCRs to know for sure... the older the devices are, the more likely that what the Comcast rep said will be "totally" correct. Even with newer devices, you'll hit limitations with regard to which Comcast services will be available to your other devices.

As time goes on, your older equipment will become less and less suited to capitalizing on all the services you're able to get from Comcast.

Thanks for the quick reply. All my devices are older (analog tuners). I use the DVDR's primarily as additional HD space--DVR's--to record documentaries,etc...where PQ is not critical; I use the DCx 3416 when PQ is critical.
Love to know which channels will be available from local Peabody, Ma. Comcast provider w/out an STB after transition.
I do have 2 coupons from Gov't program for converter boxes. Wonder which stations they will provide if I try this option? Should I even consider the converter boxes as a viable option? I did not think I'd need the converter boxes after my conversation 2mos ago with a different Comcast CSR. I now have 3 weeks to use the Gov't coupons.
tom
post #3877 of 8561 Old 10-03-2008, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtv View Post

Thanks for the quick reply. All my devices are older (analog tuners). I use the DVDR's primarily as additional HD space--DVR's--to record documentaries,etc...where PQ is not critical; I use the DCx 3416 when PQ is critical.
Love to know which channels will be available from local Peabody, Ma. Comcast provider w/out an STB after transition.
I do have 2 coupons from Gov't program for converter boxes. Wonder which stations they will provide if I try this option? Should I even consider the converter boxes as a viable option? I did not think I'd need the converter boxes after my conversation 2mos ago with a different Comcast CSR. I now have 3 weeks to use the Gov't coupons.
tom

The government converter boxes only convert over the air digital signals to analog, so if you only need OTA then you would be able to use it with your vcr etc. The governemnt boxes will not convert cable analog channels.
After the conversion the only analog channels that will be left will be the OTA, government access and a few others probably less than 30.

-Ken
post #3878 of 8561 Old 10-03-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopsHD View Post

Just because they changed the channel number you see on your cable box to be 3 in a row, doesn't mean they are doing 3:1 muxing. In fact, all of the regional sports networks and the off air broadcasters are all still running 2:1. Easy enough to verify with a box, the diagnostics, and too much free time.

Well no matter how they are doing it, it is affecting PQ since the stuttering was not there before. And I'm not saying it is those three channels that are being muxed but could be a combination of different channels which would still cause the same effect. What this does show however is that we are still dealing with bandwidth limitations and it is still technically challenging whenever they need to add channels even though in this situation it is only for remapping purposes.
post #3879 of 8561 Old 10-03-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Well no matter how they are doing it, it is affecting PQ since the stuttering was not there before. And I'm not saying it is those three channels that are being muxed but could be a combination of different channels which would still cause the same effect. What this does show however is that we are still dealing with bandwidth limitations and it is still technically challenging whenever they need to add channels even though in this situation it is only for remapping purposes.

What HD channel are you seeing issues on? Is it one of the regional sports channels (NESN, CSN, ESPN, ESPN2)? All of the HD sports channels are 2:1 full bitrate. No 3:1 muxing there. So its not a matter of bandwidth impacting PQ but likely coming from the source or an issue with levels in your house or area.
post #3880 of 8561 Old 10-03-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:

What HD channel are you seeing issues on? Is it one of the regional sports channels (NESN, CSN, ESPN, ESPN2)? All of the HD sports channels are 2:1 full bitrate. No 3:1 muxing there. So its not a matter of bandwidth impacting PQ but likely coming from the source or an issue with levels in your house or area.

TBS is not one of the sports networks, I'm seeing it on other channels as well. Bandwidth is being affected regardless of how it is being implemented. I'm seeing things I was not seeing before so it is not a coincidence but rather a case of available bandwidth being pushed to the limit! Am I the only one experiencing this?
post #3881 of 8561 Old 10-03-2008, 04:15 PM

Liked: 11
THe only QAMs I get are the locals and, oddly enough, E!.
Perhaps the local are being doubled so that it will give TiVO enough time to catch up with the changes...?
post #3882 of 8561 Old 10-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:

I remember that when Comcast ran fiber in Chelmsford it was a good year before we saw the benefits of it.

-Ken

I'm hoping my condo complex that is right on the border of N.Chelmsford and Lowell will still be considered for hooking up FIOS. Whenever they get around to N. Chelmsford....Sigh
post #3883 of 8561 Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 PM

Both E! and Style are owned by Comcast, so that might account for why they are sometimes provided in-the-clear.
post #3884 of 8561 Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:

TBS is not one of the sports networks, I'm seeing it on other channels as well. Bandwidth is being affected regardless of how it is being implemented. I'm seeing things I was not seeing before so it is not a coincidence but rather a case of available bandwidth being pushed to the limit! Am I the only one experiencing this?

Unless you understand the complexities of how QAM works, perhaps you shouldn't be so hasty to blame it on "available bandwidth being pushed to the limit". My friend is an engineer at Comcast. He helps design the systems. TBS HD as well as all of the regional sports networks are all given full bitrate as they come from the satellite. I myself watched a good chunk of the TB/CWS game tonight and didn't notice a single problem... other than I hate baseball, but no choice when smoking cigars with a bunch of guys who DO like baseball. Anyways, if you are having it on alot of the HD channels (and/or SD channels) perhaps you have a levels issue. Low levels at your cable box will impact your digital channels. I'd suggest calling Comcast and asking if there are problems in your area. If your issue is consistently happening, not a once in awhile occurence, and there are no reported issues in your area, a visit by a technician could resolve your problem.
post #3885 of 8561 Old 10-03-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Unless you understand the complexities of how QAM works, perhaps you shouldn't be so hasty to blame it on "available bandwidth being pushed to the limit". My friend is an engineer at Comcast. He helps design the systems. TBS HD as well as all of the regional sports networks are all given full bitrate as they come from the satellite. I myself watched a good chunk of the TB/CWS game tonight and didn't notice a single problem... other than I hate baseball, but no choice when smoking cigars with a bunch of guys who DO like baseball. Anyways, if you are having it on alot of the HD channels (and/or SD channels) perhaps you have a levels issue. Low levels at your cable box will impact your digital channels. I'd suggest calling Comcast and asking if there are problems in your area. If your issue is consistently happening, not a once in awhile occurence, and there are no reported issues in your area, a visit by a technician could resolve your problem.

I don't have a problem, it is minor hiccups ( stuttering, small break-ups) on some stations that were not there before the double mapping. Ask your engineer friend then why there has not been further HD channel additions and I think you know what the answer will be. And it will be the same answer that required them to go to the 3:1 muxing in the first place. Can you guess what that is? I'll give you a hint, I have already mentioned it many times in my above posts.
post #3886 of 8561 Old 10-04-2008, 05:54 AM

I'm just ranting for a minute. Now that NHL Network is broadcasting Canada's HNIC every Saturday in HD, I want Comcast to pick up NHL HD. My buddy 10 minutes away in RI on Cox Cable has it. People in Boston have it. We lost 804 out of Boston, replaced by nothing. I know I may be in the minority here, but it is the channel I have been hoping for for awhile now.
post #3887 of 8561 Old 10-04-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:

I don't have a problem, it is minor hiccups ( stuttering, small break-ups) on some stations that were not there before the double mapping. Ask your engineer friend then why there has not been further HD channel additions and I think you know what the answer will be. And it will be the same answer that required them to go to the 3:1 muxing in the first place. Can you guess what that is? I'll give you a hint, I have already mentioned it many times in my above posts.

Actually, my engineer friends says there are technical hurdles to overcome to launch some additional HDs in addition to bandwidth. But again, if you understood QAM and the way digital works more indepth, you would understand that dual mapping these HD broadcasters would have no impact at all on picture quality of anything. My engineer friend confirmed that. There has been no work done in the last few weeks that could in any way impact your HD channel picture quality.
post #3888 of 8561 Old 10-04-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Actually, my engineer friends says there are technical hurdles to overcome to launch some additional HDs in addition to bandwidth. But again, if you understood QAM and the way digital works more indepth, you would understand that dual mapping these HD broadcasters would have no impact at all on picture quality of anything. My engineer friend confirmed that. There has been no work done in the last few weeks that could in any way impact your HD channel picture quality.

I still believe it is mostly bandwidth limitations related whether your friend wants to admit it or not. Comcast is not in the position to come out and say what they are really doing as it puts them in a competitive disadvantage but the proof is in the pudding and they will be judged by what they deliver as their finished product. People are jumping to Fios for the very reasons we are discussing here and it only takes former Com-Subs like chitchat to verify the exact limitations that I have been referring to. If no one else experienced problems with the recent dual mapping then maybe it's just a local issue on my end ( I did notice today that it is happening less) but that it is happening at all still highlights the underlying problem in my book.
post #3889 of 8561 Old 10-04-2008, 06:15 PM

Anyone else having problems with TNTHD (833) and MOJO (881). I've had the "ONE MOMENT PLEASE This channel will be available shortly" message for about two days now. Haven't called Comcast about it yet.
post #3890 of 8561 Old 10-04-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1976 View Post

Anyone else having problems with TNTHD (833) and MOJO (881). I've had the "ONE MOMENT PLEASE This channel will be available shortly" message for about two days now. Haven't called Comcast about it yet.

have you tried unplugging and replugging in the receiver? that seems to do it for me when it happens to me
post #3891 of 8561 Old 10-04-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcalccal View Post

I'm just ranting for a minute. Now that NHL Network is broadcasting Canada's HNIC every Saturday in HD, I want Comcast to pick up NHL HD. My buddy 10 minutes away in RI on Cox Cable has it. People in Boston have it. We lost 804 out of Boston, replaced by nothing. I know I may be in the minority here, but it is the channel I have been hoping for for awhile now.

I second this. We need NHL HD north of Boston.

Xbox live: Mighty GLI
PS3: Mighty-Gli
post #3892 of 8561 Old 10-04-2008, 06:52 PM

The picture did come in eventually but it showed one frame with black squares with no sound. almost like it had a problem decoding the video stream...?

I have not turned the box off in a year or so after the dvr functions broke and I lost all my recordings. If I still have the problem when I come back next week from vacation, I will try that. Thank you for the suggestion.

Anyone is else around natick/metrowest see the issue?
post #3893 of 8561 Old 10-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I still believe it is mostly bandwidth limitations related whether your friend wants to admit it or not. ....

Lodef, I have had no issues with PQ that you are reporting and I cannot tell a difference in PQ between now and a few months ago on those HD channels that you mentioned. It might be an issue on your end...
post #3894 of 8561 Old 10-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

No problems with PQ on my HD sets. Howver, I just lost WBZ-HD this week south of Boston. Comcast needs to moves more analog channels to digital to free up bandwidth for more HD channels and less squeezing of the bandwidth of what we have.
Does anyone know if we will ever see WBZ,WHDH,or WFXT-HD again in Bristol County if bandwidth opens up, or is this non-duplication for the Providence affliates?
post #3895 of 8561 Old 10-05-2008, 05:04 AM

The latter, if you're in Bristol County.

Actually it is kind of unfair, really, to Providence stations, to decimate their revenue stream from the county, given the way the DMAs are set up.
post #3896 of 8561 Old 10-05-2008, 07:57 AM

Did Comcast ever announce that this was leaving. I never understood why the DMA considers Bristol County for RI locals. WOuld have at least been nice for Comcast to explain it. Apparently it is ok to leave the SD versions of these channels in Bristol COunty but not the HD? I just don't get it. SOmebody please educate me a bit.
post #3897 of 8561 Old 10-05-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:

The picture did come in eventually but it showed one frame with black squares with no sound. almost like it had a problem decoding the video stream...?

I have not turned the box off in a year or so after the dvr functions broke and I lost all my recordings. If I still have the problem when I come back next week from vacation, I will try that. Thank you for the suggestion.

Anyone is else around natick/metrowest see the issue?

I had the exact same problem with MOJO last night ("Not Available" followed by a frozen picture). Both MOJO and TNTHD are fine now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3898 of 8561 Old 10-05-2008, 09:19 AM

For the last 2 weeks, my Comcast Tivo has been receiving new HD channels (like MGM HD) in the high 700's and a couple in the low 800's, but there is no Guide information about them. That means that I can't record anything from those channels.

How long does it usually take for Comcast (or its Tivo service) to add Guide information?
post #3899 of 8561 Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 AM

Don't know about the Comcast TiVO, but the TiVO HD has taken up to a week to get the listings.
post #3900 of 8561 Old 10-05-2008, 11:12 AM

I've been reading discussions about the termination of provision of Boston channels to the Providence DMA, specifically Bristol County, for months. I've heard about it happening even though I live North of Boston. My experience, so far, is that the folks asking about it are typically just expressing that they don't like that the DMAs are structured so that Bristol County is part of the Providence DMA. It does suck for the folks in Bristol County who want to receive Boston channels. I sympathize. Based on all the discussions about it I've read over the past several months, Comcast has explained what they're doing. The explanation, however, doesn't negate people's feelings of disappointment.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page