post #451 of 8561 Old 04-24-2007, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpt6 View Post

any word on WJAR and WLNE -DT antenna problem? Will COmcast get WHDH-DT back on in Bristol County so we can get NBC-HD........
Think in NH WMUR-TV on cable ch. 12 is an old anolog thing. If Ch.9 was on Ch.9 near the transmitter in NH , you would get a mix of the OTA and cable signal mixing toghter, Comcrap moving it to 12 , the 2 siganls of MUR wont mix.

in many cites they STILL air VHF channels on the same channel number. Besides they could do it on the digital anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 8561 Old 04-25-2007, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

any word on WJAR and WLNE -DT antenna problem? Will COmcast get WHDH-DT back on in Bristol County so we can get NBC-HD........

Comcast rep said they hope to get channels 806 and 810 back on the 30th April !?!?!?!? I went online and tried comcast chat. Oh and they won't give any refunds.
post #453 of 8561 Old 04-25-2007, 06:29 PM

Old Man, as I said in a previous post, got to the Providence, RI thread. The WJAR engineer is giving updates on the problem. Comcast will be up when the tower problem is fixed.

Nuff said, Mallego
post #454 of 8561 Old 04-26-2007, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallego View Post

Old Man, as I said in a previous post, got to the Providence, RI thread. The WJAR engineer is giving updates on the problem. Comcast will be up when the tower problem is fixed.

Nuff said, Mallego

Thanks for the info but I don't read the Providence RI thread as I am not in that area.

I was just answering mgpt6 question about NBC-HD and got COMCAST's "official" answer which was 30th April.
post #455 of 8561 Old 04-26-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgeleven View Post

Probably a real stupid question (I have had Comcast HD in Manchester, NH for about 2 months now), but I have always wondered this:

Is there a reason why Comcast doesn't remap a channel (example: 849 for ESPN and 809 for WMUR) so when you type in 49 (ESPN's SD channel) or 12 (WMUR's SD channel), you get the high def channel instead?

The people I live with hate the fact that to use high definition channels, they basically have to re-learn all of the channel numbers. Not to mention, the duplicate channels in the guide really confuse them.

Are you serious? In Derry channel 9 is SD and 809 is the HD. 49 and 849 why is it so hard? 51 and 851 for NESN.
post #456 of 8561 Old 04-26-2007, 06:01 PM

My folks got a call from some outfit called Evergreen, offering to upgrade his Comcast service to digital (they're seniors on analog). I'm leery of anybody calling me to sell me something.... Anybody ever heard of this company and their offer?
post #457 of 8561 Old 04-27-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibricc View Post

My folks got a call from some outfit called Evergreen, offering to upgrade his Comcast service to digital (they're seniors on analog). I'm leery of anybody calling me to sell me something.... Anybody ever heard of this company and their offer?

Evergreen is a 3rd party telesales company that Comcast has hired to try to upgrade customers who have analog to digital. It is legit. The only reason why they would have an analog cable box is if the TV is not cable ready. Other then that, they are spending an extra $4 for a red clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man View Post

Comcast rep said they hope to get channels 806 and 810 back on the 30th April !?!?!?!? I went online and tried comcast chat. Oh and they won't give any refunds.

The problem is with the channel station itself. Anyone who has an OTA set would also be missing the channels. I would recommend calling the station for an update.

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
post #458 of 8561 Old 04-27-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therob006 View Post

Evergreen is a 3rd party telesales company that Comcast has hired to try to upgrade customers who have analog to digital. It is legit. The only reason why they would have an analog cable box is if the TV is not cable ready. Other then that, they are spending an extra $4 for a red clock.

Thanks therob.... My dad got a new digital TV a couple of months ago, so he's starting to think about upgrading their service and getting a digital box. I just didn't want to see him get fleeced.
post #459 of 8561 Old 04-27-2007, 11:21 AM

Hey everyone,

Every morning this week while I'm trying to eat my bagel and flipping between Sportscenter on 849 and Coach on 35 my box has just completely frozen, does nothing for a minute, than shuts itself off and reboots. The menu and guide and everything else needs to be reloaded each time.

Any ideas what's going on? Thanks in advance...
post #460 of 8561 Old 04-29-2007, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Just wanted to let you know that I've been told that A&E HD, Food Network HD and HGTV HD will be added soon within the Boston area along with New Hampshire. Some towns and cities will get them sooner than others but I'm hearing all area's will see them within the next 30-45 days. This news along with those letters going out to past Adelphia (now Comcast) within MA makes me feel really good about this.
post #461 of 8561 Old 04-29-2007, 06:55 AM

Oooh, Food Network HD....that is going to be deadly.
post #462 of 8561 Old 04-29-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornXP View Post

Just wanted to let you know that I've been told that A&E HD, Food Network HD and HGTV HD will be added soon within the Boston area along with New Hampshire. Some towns and cities will get them sooner than others but I'm hearing all area's will see them within the next 30-45 days. This news along with those letters going out to past Adelphia (now Comcast) within MA makes me feel really good about this.

837 for AnE,832 for HGTV and perhaps 867 for Food
Any serious updates on the H channels,or do pigs have to fly?
post #463 of 8561 Old 04-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

837 for AnE,832 for HGTV and perhaps 867 for Food
Any serious updates on the H channels,or do pigs have to fly?

At one time the talks for HDNet going into the Sports and Entertainment were going very well but it seems those talks have long ago stopped. I'm not sure now what the real problem is except price. Or maybe somebody high up at Comcast is ticked off with Marc right now but hey I've given up trying to figure this out.

So I'd say that pigs might need to start flying before Comcast customers start seeing HDNet.
post #464 of 8561 Old 04-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

On 806 and 810 Comcast has a test pattern and message that WLNE and WJAR are down due to thier problems and to tune to 6 or 10 to watch the SD version. Lucky we still have CVB-DT for ABC ,but no NBC. Did JAR force Comcast to drop WHDH-DT from Bristol County or was it Comcrap's decision
post #465 of 8561 Old 04-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Providence post has JAR and LNE back on at half power wont be able to check Comcast until later on tonight
post #466 of 8561 Old 04-30-2007, 07:42 PM

WJAR-DT and WLNE-DT are back on Comcast.
post #467 of 8561 Old 05-02-2007, 05:03 PM

I just signed up for comcast with a cablecard. I picked the digital premier package. the channel lineup on comcast.com leaves much to be desired, it just seems very innaccurate. is there a complete list out there somewhere of every channel I will get? I am most curious about GolTV and Fox Soccer Channel, as well as HD channels. Anyone know where I can find some accurate information?
post #468 of 8561 Old 05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutBomb View Post

I just signed up for comcast with a cablecard. I picked the digital premier package. the channel lineup on comcast.com leaves much to be desired, it just seems very innaccurate. is there a complete list out there somewhere of every channel I will get? I am most curious about GolTV and Fox Soccer Channel, as well as HD channels. Anyone know where I can find some accurate information?

Those two are part of sports and Entertainment tier which with your package will run an extra $4.

FSC is on 256
GolTV is on 714.

Try zap2it.com
post #469 of 8561 Old 05-02-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Those two are part of sports and Entertainment tier which with your package will run an extra $4.

FSC is on 256
GolTV is on 714.

Try zap2it.com

do you know if goltv is in english?
post #470 of 8561 Old 05-02-2007, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutBomb View Post

do you know if goltv is in english?

Most of it is.
I had that package for awhile in anticipation of HDNEt being included.
post #471 of 8561 Old 05-03-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:

Most of it is.
I had that package for awhile in anticipation of HDNEt being included.

excellent. the channel was all spanish in denver. on directv and dish, and most cable outlets it is carried in both languages, but in denver, only in spanish
post #472 of 8561 Old 05-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

It's english on Dish ch.407, they have both languages 85? for spanish.
post #473 of 8561 Old 05-04-2007, 04:56 PM

Hi
Does anyone know what channel the HD Pay Per View boxing is going to be on Saturday night ? Southeastern MA.

Thanks
post #474 of 8561 Old 05-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

With new FCC rules for after 2/19/2009, will Comcast convert local broadcast siganls to analog for those who dont want a box; or have everythng in digital and require everyone to have set top boxes ?
Also , any word on A&E- HD or any other new HD channels coming to Comcast -Boston?
post #475 of 8561 Old 05-06-2007, 04:33 AM

Liked: 11
The current digital boxes put out analog-compatible composite and S-video signals. Beyond that, Comcast had earlier made statements indicating that they'd continue to offer at least 30 in-the-clear NTSC channels for years to come, but more recent indications are that that may not be the case.
post #476 of 8561 Old 05-06-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:

With new FCC rules for after 2/19/2009, will Comcast convert local broadcast siganls to analog for those who dont want a box; or have everythng in digital and require everyone to have set top boxes ?
Also , any word on A&E- HD or any other new HD channels coming to Comcast -Boston?

One must consider the FCC Order effective 7/1/2007 which bans the deployment of settops with integrated security (non-CableCard) by MSO's. This Order basically allows for the existence of a competitive market for cable settop manufacture. This in turn means that you should be able to purchase settops from Newegg, Circuit City, Best Buy, Staples, Sears etc. With this move an MSO will provide a CableCard to you for use in your consumer settop. Additionally, I would assume that ther'll be a lot of newly created rules and regulations written by cable MSO's. Rules which would impose the mandatory use of a settop box at all cable outlets in a home. If this becomes the reality we could then anticipate the slow dropoff of analog signals at each programs contract end with MSO.

We should see a lot of different technologies become available after the 7/1/2007 date, including a rise in PC tuner cards which support CableCard.
post #477 of 8561 Old 05-06-2007, 01:58 PM

The 7/1/2007 date has nothing to do with the customer's ability to purchase STBs commercially. MSOs have been required to provide CableCards for quite a while already. Nothing about that changes on 7/1/2007 in a legal sense, nor will it necessarily reverse the trend in the last year or two whereby support for CableCard in commercial products has generally been reduced, not increased. There is a hope -- but nothing more than a hope -- that the 7/1/2007 date will simply make the MSOs more talented at supporting CableCard. Nothing more.
post #478 of 8561 Old 05-06-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:

See post #460.
post #479 of 8561 Old 05-06-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

The 7/1/2007 date has nothing to do with the customer's ability to purchase STBs commercially. MSOs have been required to provide CableCards for quite a while already. Nothing about that changes on 7/1/2007 in a legal sense, nor will it necessarily reverse the trend in the last year or two whereby support for CableCard in commercial products has generally been reduced, not increased. There is a hope -- but nothing more than a hope -- that the 7/1/2007 date will simply make the MSOs more talented at supporting CableCard. Nothing more.

Bicker1 you are wrong.

Let me begin by stating that my understanding of the number of device types (or models) which support CableCard technology or are CableCard compatible is less than 100. These devices, up until Tivo deployed the Model TCD648250B in late 2006 with a price tag listed at $799, consisted of television sets (which were more expensive) and possibly some other high end devices that I am not familiar with?? Nonetheless, 7/1/2007 directly affects the Cable MSO industry whereas enabling consumers to have a choice in the way they wish to deal with settop box rental. The consumer has the option of renting a low cost settop box from the MSO or purchase their own from the back wall behind the counter of Eckards, Walgreens or CVS to use with the cable operators service. What the heck, if you're still paying your cable bill at the local apothecary you might as well pick up an extra new fangled Gemini settop for the garage or the basement TV's.

With this FCC Order cable operators, in a general sense, benefit from the order as they can more aggressively migrate their terms and agreements to indicate that a digital setop box is required to use any level of their service. This directly affects the longevity of the analog tier, so for those wondering how long it will take an MSO built on HFC to add more digital channels (which is usually peoples gripe), the wait shortens significantly after 7/1/2007. The statement/response I made previously more closely answers the question posed by mgpt6 about analog cable ready tier and clarifies the seemingly ill informed crap you spewed out after being woken up by your RSS reader yesterday morning.

Your statement that 7/1/2007 does not affect the consumers ability to purchase STB's commercially shows how ignorant you are IMO, or at least has nothing to do with the question previously posed. The previous question posted by mgpt6 asks "will Comcast convert local broadcast signals to analog for those who don't want a box; or have everything in digital and require everyone to have set top boxes" and is answered to a certain extent in my response, which is to inform that 7/1/2007 will address the solution to how we will be able to receive cable signals going forward. Your response of
Quote:

The current digital boxes put out analog-compatible composite and S-video signals. Beyond that, Comcast had earlier made statements indicating that they'd continue to offer at least 30 in-the-clear NTSC channels for years to come, but more recent indications are that that may not be the case.

to mgpt6 is contextually irrelevant, serves to inform nothing and only wastes the hard drive space of our blessed forum owners computer systems.

Providing this type of information helps people understand what some of their options are (or will be) and can possibly serve to help prepare consumers to know how to make an informed decision about what they will purchase and when, and also what is to come. The information you are providing is bogus and you should not mis-state information in your responses or at least do a little research before sending someone down the wrong road of thinking (unless you thrive on knowing that you've fed some asking person the biggest line of crap they'd heard all day). Stick to the point of the topic and what has related to it for questions.

If you'd like to read more about the 7/1/2007 date and the way it affects consumers, refer to some of these links: Some FCC mumbo jumbo that won't change anything in the eyes of bicker1 , Electronic Frontier Foundation , ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner , Niveus Digital Cable Receiver

I suspect we'll see an explosion of cablecard usage and devices after 7/1/2007, but that's just my informed opinion.

BTW, bicker1, did you get your cable education from 'Cable in the Classroom' or did you actually read trade magazine articles part of the way through? Sorry, I just can't help it, I feel my contest hormones brewing.
post #480 of 8561 Old 05-07-2007, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motortree View Post

Bicker1 you are wrong.

I wish I were, but I'm not. Everything I said is accurate. I understand that you, like I, wish it weren't true, but that's just something we'll both have to accept.

Quote:

Let me begin by stating that my understanding of the number of device types (or models) which support CableCard technology or are CableCard compatible is less than 100.

In 2005, Samsung had most of its DLP lines supporting CableCard. Then, in 2006, they removed support for CableCard from all but the top-most model line. Many other CE manufacturers did something similar. CE manufacturers pulled away from CableCard. Sorry, but that's what happened.

Quote:

Nonetheless, 7/1/2007 directly affects the Cable MSO industry whereas enabling consumers to have a choice in the way they wish to deal with settop box rental.

Incorrect. The 7/1/2007 date affects only which physical boxes the MSOs can offer for rental. Again, I'm sorry you're mistaken, but you are, and there's nothing I can do to make what you're saying any less mistaken.

Quote:

The consumer has the option of renting a low cost settop box from the MSO or purchase their own from the back wall behind the counter of Eckards, Walgreens or CVS to use with the cable operators service.

The laws supporting that have been in place for years. 7/1/2007 has no direct effect on that. Again, the only tangential impact is that, since starting on that date, MSOs will generally start having their own CableCard-enabled equipment in service, the assumption is that they might get a little more talented at getting CableCards to work. That's it. The only effect will be that the tech installing CableCards in your personal CE might know a bit more about how to get over the technological challenges that CableCards represent than he does today.

Quote:

With this FCC Order cable operators, in a general sense, benefit from the order as they can more aggressively migrate their terms and agreements to indicate that a digital setop box is required to use any level of their service.

You'll have to explain what you're saying here. I think you've typed the wrong words, but I'll wait to read your explanation before coming to that conclusion.

Quote:

This directly affects the longevity of the analog tier, so for those wondering how long it will take an MSO built on HFC to add more digital channels (which is usually peoples gripe), the wait shortens significantly after 7/1/2007.

The 7/1/2007 date has no direct effect on that.

Quote:

Your statement that 7/1/2007 does not affect the consumers ability to purchase STB's commercially shows how ignorant you are IMO

You're mistaken AND rude.

Quote:

The previous question posted by mgpt6 asks "will Comcast convert local broadcast signals to analog for those who don't want a box; or have everything in digital and require everyone to have set top boxes" and is answered to a certain extent in my response, which is to inform that 7/1/2007 will address the solution to how we will be able to receive cable signals going forward.

The 7/1/2007 date has nothing to do with that. Your answer is erroneous and ill-informed.

Quote:

Providing this type of information helps people understand what some of their options are (or will be) and can possibly serve to help prepare consumers to know how to make an informed decision about what they will purchase and when, and also what is to come.

No. It misleads them into thinking that something is changing on 7/1/2007 that affects what you're asserting, when the reality is the opposite. It supplants the hard-cold facts of reality with your well-intentioned assumptions, hopes and aspirations.

Quote:

If you'd like to read more about the 7/1/2007 date and the way it affects consumers, refer to some of these links:

Hopefully you'll read the FCC link yourself and realize that you've been snowed by the EFF into thinking that 7/1/2007 means something other than what it actually does mean.

Quote:

I suspect we'll see an explosion of cablecard usage and devices after 7/1/2007, but that's just my informed opinion.

My guess is that we're see a moderate up-tick, but the trend will still be considered disappointing.

Quote:

Sorry, I just can't help it, I feel my contest hormones brewing.

I don't really care about your personal problems.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page