Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8566 Old 05-13-2007, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am having Comcast install cable service at my apartment in Waltham as we speak. The tech brought a DCT6412, probably a Phase II since it doesn't have an HDMI output. I used to live in another state and I had a Phase III box with the HDMI output. From searching the forums I don't see any mention of Comcast having Phase III DCT6412 STBs, but I see people talking about using the 3416. From my understanding the 3416 is an all digital box, no analog tuner. Are all Comcast analog channels simulcast digitally or do you guys just not care about the analog-only channels?

I basically want a box with an HDMI output since I don't have a DVI to HDMI cable and don't want to buy one since I have so many HDMI cables sitting around. The installer only brought a component cable even though I recall the customer service rep on the phone telling me they were charging me $20 or so for HDMI cables.

Thanks.
post #543 of 8566 Old 05-13-2007, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvt View Post

Chitchatjf:

Is this the 129.99 package availble to all ? And what do you mean by "no expiration date" ? When I was called I was told this was special pricing for one year.

-Ken

A year would be OK but i wasn't told of any expiration date.

I was impressed with the person I talked with, knowing the difference between the DCT700 and the DCT2000s,the rule about July 1st and this board.
post #544 of 8566 Old 05-13-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Finally we get local news in HD, CBS was suppose to convert most of their O&O's over a year ago and it never happened. Although I watch all the news channels, looks like I will be watching WCVB from now on until someone else switches over. Hopefully that will be CBS-4 next because they have the hottest woman anchors.

Respectfully disagree...WHDH has by far the best looking group of newswomen in town, and definately the 2 best looking in Sorboni Banerjee and Victoria Warren.
post #545 of 8566 Old 05-13-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMars View Post

It looks like WNAC has requested WFXT be blacked out during FOX programing in Bristol county, so this is your warning if you PVR anything off of FOX. This is the message on 825 (WFXT HD)

Due to FCC rules, this program has been blacked out. Please tune to Ch 811 WNAC for FOX HD programing.

This message appears SOME of the time. I watched all of the Baseball on Saturday afternoon, on 825, until 8:00 pm. and then the message appeared.

825 has programming at the momen (11:30 am on Sunday).
post #546 of 8566 Old 05-13-2007, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the info MrMars.

11:30 on Sunday morning is not FOX Network programing, the baseball game was tho, it most likely a prime time only thing, either way I would have to be a idiot to keep my dvr scheduled recording of 24 on 825.

Thanks again, I would of been mega ticked off Monday night if my 24 was not there!!!!!
post #547 of 8566 Old 05-13-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

Comcast called me to switch over to digital voice.

They seem to be giving me the equivalent of the $99 triple play package plus Digital platinum with Sne and a second box for my bedroom with NO expiration date.

I just got the triple play package installed this morning and I am paying $120/month after all the taxes and fees including the charge for having the DVR STB. I believe on the phone the customer service rep told me I got the Digital Classic package and the HD package. Frankly, I am quite confused by their packages as the channel lineups they show on their website has a bunch of footnotes.

Can you tell me how much you're paying after taxes for that triple play package with the digital platinum? Also, what is "Sne"?
post #548 of 8566 Old 05-13-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdilliker View Post

I basically want a box with an HDMI output since I don't have a DVI to HDMI cable and don't want to buy one since I have so many HDMI cables sitting around. The installer only brought a component cable even though I recall the customer service rep on the phone telling me they were charging me $20 or so for HDMI cables.

I picked up a 3416 at the Comcast Hudson depot and was given an HDMI cable at no charge.
post #549 of 8566 Old 05-13-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just got the triple play package installed this morning and I am paying $120/month after all the taxes and fees including the charge for having the DVR STB. I believe on the phone the customer service rep told me I got the Digital Classic package and the HD package. Frankly, I am quite confused by their packages as the channel lineups they show on their website has a bunch of footnotes.

Can you tell me how much you're paying after taxes for that triple play package with the digital platinum? Also, what is "Sne"?

There is NO HD package.

HD locals are considered part of Limited Basic

National Geo HD (Despite National Geo SD on Classic),Verses/Golf HD, ESPN2, and NESN HD require Starter

TNT,Discovery HT,Universal HD,ESPN,and Mojo require Digital Classic (Note: For those who have Limited Basic and Digital Classic withOUT extended basic, you still get TNT and ESPN in HD despite not having the SD versions)

MHD requires Digital starter AND digital Classic

SnE is the Sports and Entertainment tier , a tier of 13 SD channels.

My monthly final is $174.99 which does include a second box. (I generally get the telephone service for FREE!)
post #550 of 8566 Old 05-13-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:

There is NO HD package.

HD locals are considered part of Limited Basic

National Geo HD (Despite National Geo SD on Classic),Verses/Golf HD, ESPN2, and NESN HD require Starter

TNT,Discovery HT,Universal HD,ESPN,and Mojo require Digital Classic (Note: For those who have Limited Basic and Digital Classic withOUT extended basic, you still get TNT and ESPN in HD despite not having the SD versions)

MHD requires Digital starter AND digital Classic

SnE is the Sports and Entertainment tier , a tier of 13 SD channels.

My monthly final is $174.99 which does include a second box. (I generally get the telephone service for FREE!)

I probably will have to wait for my first bill to see what packages I actually have. I have the work order the tech gave me today but they use shortened descriptions so it is hard to figure out what each line on the work order refers to.

If you go to Comcast's channel lineup page it lets you list the channels by "package" and they have some packages there like "HD" that aren't listed if you actually go to buy service on their website. For example, I thought the customer service rep also told me I got Digital Classic, but apparently that is also not a "package" if you actually try to purchase programming on their website.
post #551 of 8566 Old 05-13-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

I picked up a 3416 at the Comcast Hudson depot and was given an HDMI cable at no charge.

Thanks. I asked the tech while he was here if they had 3416s and he said sometimes they come to the warehouse but go quickly. He also suggested to stop by their office and see if I could get another box. Do you know the answer to the digital only question I asked earlier regarding the 3416?

Thanks.
post #552 of 8566 Old 05-13-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I probably will have to wait for my first bill to see what packages I actually have. I have the work order the tech gave me today but they use shortened descriptions so it is hard to figure out what each line on the work order refers to.

If you go to Comcast's channel lineup page it lets you list the channels by "package" and they have some packages there like "HD" that aren't listed if you actually go to buy service on their website. For example, I thought the customer service rep also told me I got Digital Classic, but apparently that is also not a "package" if you actually try to purchase programming on their website.

since you seem to have Digital Starter and Classic,you should get any Non Premium HD channel.
post #553 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:

Thanks. I asked the tech while he was here if they had 3416s and he said sometimes they come to the warehouse but go quickly. He also suggested to stop by their office and see if I could get another box. Do you know the answer to the digital only question I asked earlier regarding the 3416?

Thanks.

I believe you are correct, the 34XX series is digital only.
post #554 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobColby View Post

Try it again:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/index.html

Promo video and everything.

I can honestly say I did not see this information when I was on their page at that time. But WOW. Now we are going to be able to see how shiny Harvey Leonard's head is.

But for more HD News, I found out that A&E HD, Food HD and HGTV HD will be launched this week for all Comcast customers. You will need standard cable to get these channels. I've always wanted to see Iron Chef in HD!

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
post #555 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therob006 View Post

But for more HD News, I found out that A&E HD, Food HD and HGTV HD will be launched this week for all Comcast customers. You will need standard cable to get these channels. I've always wanted to see Iron Chef in HD!

Are you sure? The previous discussion leads me to believe they will be available only to ex-Adelphia customers. But if they are indeed available to all Comast customers, I'd upgrade to Standard right away!
post #556 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:

I can honestly say I did not see this information when I was on their page at that time. But WOW. Now we are going to be able to see how shiny Harvey Leonard's head is.

Yahoo! if this is true, this will be a great week to be a Comcast HD sub.
post #557 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenju View Post

Are you sure? The previous discussion leads me to believe they will be available only to ex-Adelphia customers. But if they are indeed available to all Comast customers, I'd upgrade to Standard right away!

I'm 100% positive. Reliable information, I would say. But no Iron Chef in HD. Booo Food HD, Hurray CSI:Miami repeats in HD.

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
post #558 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This makes sense as you need Digital starter to get the SD versions of these channels.
post #559 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenju View Post

I've said that all Comcast customers will be getting these channels so I'm not sure what this user has been told about only ex-Adelphia customers only getting these channels. I was told they would be added on June 1st, 2007 if not sooner. So if they show up this week it wouldn't surprise me at all as its not that earlier compared to the time I was told.
post #560 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed that in Bristol County that Lin does not want HD dup of Fox network stuff from 8-10 pm from WFXT-Dt. However we still get both NAC and FXT SD versions of Fox. Does anybody know what deal Comcast and Lin have? Can we expect WPRI -DT on Comcast soon ? Should we expect no WBZ-DT from 8 to 11pm in Bristol County on Comcast? Will be looking for A&E, and Food HD ,HGTV-HD .
post #561 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been out of it for sometime (my last exam for my first year of law school is wednesday)
What is the status of up-coming channels? HDNET? Othes?
Thanks
FREAK!

3X SUPERBOWL CHAMPION PATRIOTS!
post #562 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The HD channels are different for FoodHD and HGTV HD then their SD counterparts, maybe in the future when they will be the same when more HD content is available.
post #563 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:

I have the same package for the same price. I believe it's Digital Starter. They tossed in HBO & Starz for a year. This is $40 cheaper than the Digital Classic package with the old Digital Phone I had. HBO and Starz weren't included.
post #564 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpt6 View Post

I noticed that in Bristol County that Lin does not want HD dup of Fox network stuff from 8-10 pm from WFXT-Dt. However we still get both NAC and FXT SD versions of Fox. Does anybody know what deal Comcast and Lin have? Can we expect WPRI -DT on Comcast soon ? Should we expect no WBZ-DT from 8 to 11pm in Bristol County on Comcast? Will be looking for A&E, and Food HD ,HGTV-HD .

Does anyone know what FCC rule prevents both WFXT and WNAC HD broadcasts from being shown, on Comcast in Bristol County but SD broadcasts are okay?

And when the heck is Comcast going to get guide data for NAC?
post #565 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleca View Post

Does anyone know what FCC rule prevents both WFXT and WNAC HD broadcasts from being shown, on Comcast in Bristol County but SD broadcasts are okay?

I don't think SD is OK, There is a advertisement for FOX Providence news at 10 right now on channel 13 (WFXT), they are replacing WFXT w/WNAC for SD, but just blacking it out for HD.

Technically Bristol county is in the Providence DMA, that is why if you have Dish/DirecTV you get the Providence locals. Apparently they can request a blackout for shows they air in their DMA, I just don't think anyone requested it before. I really could of seen something like this happening:

LIN: We want WNAC-DT on Comcast, and we want $$$ for it.

Comcast: No Thank You

LIN: OK, we will request a blackout of all FOX programing.

Comcast: Crap

Not sure that is what happened, but something did in order for them to start this crap I am sure they will be alot of angry 24 viewers in Bristol country who won't have 24 on their DVRs tonight.
post #566 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleca View Post

and what is the difference between if Bristol county gets Fox on 811 or 825?

~Alan

post #567 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser-Soze View Post

and what is the difference between if Bristol county gets Fox on 811 or 825?

One guess is local advertising, I am sure WNAC wants people to watch their ads over WFXT's
post #568 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:

since you seem to have Digital Starter and Classic,you should get any Non Premium HD channel.

My situation is kind of screwed up because the channels I am receiving may not be the ones I am actually paying for. The tech that installed my cable couldn't find where the cable connections were outside my apartment so I think I am getting a lot more channels than I should. For example, I am able to receive HBO HD, ZeeTV, and other channels I don't think I should be getting.
post #569 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMars View Post

One guess is local advertising, I am sure WNAC wants people to watch their ads over WFXT's

Different NFL games on Sundays also, mostly 4pm ones
post #570 of 8566 Old 05-14-2007, 10:43 PM

Channel 5 ( wcvb ) news looked great tonight. Granted it was only the studio shots but it's a start. Must say I was very impressed with the weather graphics in HD, it really takes it to another level.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page