Boston, MA - Comcast - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2007, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

For instance, Dirty Jobs on Discovery is filmed in HD. Yet it is not broadcast on Discovery HD, only on Discovery SD.. makes no sense..

maybe I can find out more- I love this show- and I work with the producers sister (of course I am still waiting for my box set ) I can bug her to call him-I would love to see this HD
thetman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2007, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have all 3 new channels in Allston. Too bad it's not HDNET, NFL Network or FSN HD.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM22681 View Post

Have all 3 new channels in Allston. Too bad it's not HDNET, NFL Network or FSN HD.

Why would you want FSN HD Full time. Besides the Celtics what's to watch on FSN?
Old 05-18-2007, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no fulltime FSN.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Supreme View Post

Why would you want FSN HD Full time. Besides the Celtics what's to watch on FSN?

Well, you can watch that cool logo bounce around for the other 22 (or 24) hours a day that the Celtics don't play. Hell, given how the Celts played this year, I think the logo would have been more entertaining.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Supreme View Post

A lot of the national college football on FSN was HD where available. I'm sure it will be even more next year.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:26 PM

I just hope we get the weather channel in HD. At least there is always weather to see or talk about 24 hrs a day.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post

There is no fulltime FSN.

Could change now that Comcast owns 100% of FSN NewEngland, maybe all Celtic home games in HD, and pre and post game shows also. Even other studio based shows, if Mohegen Sun chips in to foot some of the bill and Comcast opens their pocket.

Rainbow Media were the old owners and the ones that provided all the HD equipment, now FSN has to start from scratch.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:24 PM

I rang Comcast to find out why 811 and 825 guide entries just say "to be announced" for every half hour segment and when the guide was coming back and all the CSR could tell me was that channel 825 was "going away" on June 21st.

She could not tell me when the guide data was returning for either of the channels but she could tell me the above.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:27 PM

I believe there is a fulltime FSNE HD channel. RCN had it at one point. And yes, there is College Football as well as sports shows. Good alternative to watching ESPN all the time for news.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachxp View Post

Could change now that Comcast owns 100% of FSN NewEngland, maybe all Celtic home games in HD, and pre and post game shows also. Even other studio based shows, if Mohegen Sun chips in to foot some of the bill and Comcast opens their pocket.

Rainbow Media were the old owners and the ones that provided all the HD equipment, now FSN has to start from scratch.

I was under the impression that the games were produced BY NESN for FSN NE
Old 05-19-2007, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epie View Post

ok, I am officially confused as to what the heck is going on with 811 and 825. I live in Bristol County and thanks to no guide data or communication from Comcast (what a shocker), I taped a grey FCC meesage screen instead of 24 last night. Thanks Comcast! So moving forward should I be switching all of my scheduled prime time HD content from FOX such as 24, American Idol, etc. to 811?

I'll never understand why Comcast can't communicate these types of issues to their customers in advance........

Thanks,
epie

For a major corporation, Comcast is a joke. I had no idea of the switch either and there has still been no communication, no letters, no messages nothing. Further, I see we have the new channels added, with yet again no notice (shocker)......What a piss poor way to market a product. They should be making a huge deal about adding HD channels and instead I have to come here to find out we even have them.....Still no guide data for me on 811, and for the life of me I can't make sense out of the multitude of packages Comcast offers and what package gets me what.....Its embarassingly pathetic how they are run.

Verizon FIOS (Norfolk County, MA)
Samsung 43" DLP display
Yamaha HTR-5730 surround system
Playstation 3
Old 05-19-2007, 04:19 PM

Perhaps you're overestimating the importance of your own priorities.

Also, keep in mind that it would be IDIOTIC for a national service provider, who focuses on national advertising campaigns, to advertise a new service until the vast majority of their systems have the service.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

I was under the impression that the games were produced BY NESN for FSN NE

I don't believe NESN has any part of the C's broadcasts. I think Fox has it's own team that it hires for them, hence they are on FSNE.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't believe NESN has any part of the C's broadcasts. I think Fox has it's own team that it hires for them, hence they are on FSNE.

I think it may be the cameras of something, I am sure NESN has SOME connection to the HD broadcasts.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd23 View Post

Still no guide data for me on 811, and for the life of me I can't make sense out of the multitude of packages Comcast offers and what package gets me what.....Its embarassingly pathetic how they are run.

I agree. I got my first bill and thought it would clarify what packages I have. It says Digital Starter Package and Digital Classic. Well, oddly enough if you go to the Comcast website and shop for programming, neither of those packages is an option.

Edit: So I just called up Comcast and they said it is odd that there is no mention of Digital Classic when you try to purchase programming online. I know it is listed if you go to View channel lineup, but it is still odd. I decided to ask what package "The Tennis Channel" is in and the customer service rep said the Sports & Entertainment package, so I bought it. The odd thing is if you look at the channel lineup online, the tennis channel is not listed as part of the sports & entertainment package.

Edit2: So I cancelled my Sports & Entertainment Package because it was taking too long to activate and I was buying it for just one tennis match. Well, at least now I know that the channels I was getting before were ones I shouldn't have been getting. NFL network, HBO, etc. are now all gone!!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Perhaps you're overestimating the importance of your own priorities.

Also, keep in mind that it would be IDIOTIC for a national service provider, who focuses on national advertising campaigns, to advertise a new service until the vast majority of their systems have the service.

How about advertising to the customers that do have it then? How about a letter telling me of the great additions to the product I am paying dearly for? How about a message on the cable box? Something? Instead I hear absolutely nothing, and the only reason I even know they exist is because I frequent this forum. Thats embarassing.

Verizon FIOS (Norfolk County, MA)
Samsung 43" DLP display
Yamaha HTR-5730 surround system
Playstation 3
Old 05-20-2007, 12:24 PM

Which part of "national service provider" did you not understand?

Figure it this way: They have provided you everything they promised PLUS MORE. Complaining about getting more than promised -- THAT is embarrassing.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Which part of "national service provider" did you not understand?

Figure it this way: They have provided you everything they promised PLUS MORE. Complaining about getting more than promised -- THAT is embarrassing.

Your twisting his whole post around. He is not complaining about the additions, only that they don't tell ya when they do. He is correct in saying most who don't visit this forum don't have a clue. I have already told 3 family members and 2 friends of the new HD channels and they had no idea they were on.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:58 PM

They "tell ya" when they're ready to -- when it is to their benefit to do so. He/you are trying either to make it sound like they have an obligation to provide the information he/you want when he/you want it (they don't have ANY such obligation), or to make it sound like he/you actually know better than they do what's best for their business (excessively unlikely, given that it is THEIR job to worry about what's best for THEM, while he and you are generally only worried about what's best for yourselves).
Old 05-20-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:

They "tell ya" when they're ready to -- when it is to their benefit to do so. He/you are trying either to make it sound like they have an obligation to provide the information he/you want when he/you want it (they don't have ANY such obligation), or to make it sound like he/you actually know better than they do what's best for their business (excessively unlikely, given that it is THEIR job to worry about what's best for THEM, while he and you are generally only worried about what's best for yourselves).

Ya your right bicker, even more I also don't give a rats ass how you feel about it.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

1. Hit the "User CP" label on the menu bar near the top of your screen.
2. Hit the "Buddy / Ignore Lists" label found at the bottom of the left side mast head.
3. Under "Ignore List", enter the following text : bicker1
4. Hit the "Update Ignore List" button.
5. Lead a happier life.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

I think it may be the cameras of something, I am sure NESN has SOME connection to the HD broadcasts.

They must. The Bruins (which part-own NESN) also own the TD Banknorth Garden. So it makes no sense for FSNE to buy HD cameras and so on when they can use the NESN cameras for Celtics games. Saves costs for everyone involved.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Does A&EHD actually show anything in HD ? "24" is SD even though the guide says it is HD, and now I'm flipping through and see that Gene Simmons Family Jewel show is also SD. The guide shows that as HD as well.

-Ken
Old 05-20-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:

So in the cable business (I used to be part of it if you didn't figure that out yet) it used to be such that the Marketing folks would put unrealistic time frames on channel launches or movement. The Engineering folks who had to make these changes happen, over time, must have helped the Marketing folks understand that they can't make/communicate commitments unless they have a better understanding of what it would take to launch say 3 HD channels in a limited capacity system. Otherwise, if the Marketing folks did make these announcements they'd have egg on their face, even worse, pissed off customers if the shite didn't launch on time.

So, have you ever launched 3 HD channels accross 191 cities and towns to make people like you happy? Ya ever stop to think they might be doing this for a reason, or do you think they do it so people can just Bicker1 about it?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgeleven View Post

They must. The Bruins (which part-own NESN) also own the TD Banknorth Garden. So it makes no sense for FSNE to buy HD cameras and so on when they can use the NESN cameras for Celtics games. Saves costs for everyone involved.

The credits on all Celtic HD games was produced and directed by Rainbow Media.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Comcast Boston HD Channel Lineup
=====================================================
Based on lineup in Lawrence Ma 05-20-07
=====================================================
Channel Network Tier required
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
802 PBS HD channel Basic
804 WBZ (CBS) Basic
805 WCVB (ABC) Basic
807 WHDH (NBC) Basic
809 WMUR (ABC) Basic
821 National Geo Starter (Despite National Geo SD on Classic)
825 WFXT (Fox) Basic
828 MHD Starter AND Classic
832 HGTVHD Starter
833 TNT Classic
837 AnEHD Starter
838 WSBK Basic
839 Discovery HD Theater Classic
846 Universal HD Classic
848 Verses / Golf HD Starter
849 ESPN Classic
850 ESPN 2 Starter
851 NESN Starter
854 FoodHD Starter
856 WLVI (CW) Basic
868 Cinemax Cinemax
870 HBO HBO
875 Starz Starz
877 Showtime Showtime
881 Mojo / FSN-HD Classic
Old 05-21-2007, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Simoneau View Post

1. Hit the "User CP" label on the menu bar near the top of your screen.
2. Hit the "Buddy / Ignore Lists" label found at the bottom of the left side mast head.
3. Under "Ignore List", enter the following text : bicker1
4. Hit the "Update Ignore List" button.
5. Lead a happier life.

The truth bothers you so much?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motortree View Post

Ya ever stop to think they might be doing this for a reason

Indeed; I cannot understand why folks find that so hard to accept.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

tvplanner was just officially launched at tvplanner.comcast.net and they list NFLHD, FSNE1HD, and MOJO as all being on 881. I guess MOJO will see a bunch of pre-emptions this fall.

-Ken