Boston, MA - Comcast - Page 271 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8101 of 8564 Old 11-05-2011, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
UPDATE:
Just put on the new 2 GHz splitter, and there is a noticeable difference. The average droppage is about 10 (so a channel in the 90s range of signal now down to the 80s). Several of the channels in the high 70s are now in the 60s, however, and the signal on the digital box is odd. There are several channels not coming in at all (BBCA, for one), and that one is in the low 80s on the TiVO. I'll wait to try the amp when it comes in to see if that helps. But this should work for now, as even the lowest channel signal is the upper 60s-low 70s.
Question: Should I connect the amp where the cable comes in, and THEN to the splitter and then TiVO and the digital box, or connect the splitter first and then to the amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 8564 Old 11-06-2011, 06:59 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post

UPDATE:
Just put on the new 2 GHz splitter, and there is a noticeable difference. The average droppage is about 10 (so a channel in the 90s range of signal now down to the 80s). Several of the channels in the high 70s are now in the 60s, however, and the signal on the digital box is odd. There are several channels not coming in at all (BBCA, for one), and that one is in the low 80s on the TiVO. I'll wait to try the amp when it comes in to see if that helps. But this should work for now, as even the lowest channel signal is the upper 60s-low 70s.
Question: Should I connect the amp where the cable comes in, and THEN to the splitter and then TiVO and the digital box, or connect the splitter first and then to the amp?

The higher quality splitter should see *some* difference but not all that much , so no real surprise there unless the old splitter was awful.

You definitely want the Amp installed before the splitter. Meaning, you want all lines amplified (stronger signal) before they seperate to different boxes/Tivos. So, ideally you would take the outside line where it comes into the building and install the amp directly there. Then, all lines and splitter thereafter will have the stronger signal from that Amp.

Hope that makes sense
post #8103 of 8564 Old 11-06-2011, 07:32 AM

Thanks - tha'st pretty much was what I figured about where to place the amp. I will attempt to place the amp at the point where the cable enters my unit. And yes, the older splitter was REALLY old. But what IS odd is that the digital box (Moto DCH 70) is losing some channels after the split, but does NOT lose them on a splitter when used in another location in the house. So it could be just this one connection that is getting a weak signal...? Nothing is easy.
post #8104 of 8564 Old 11-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

How much more HD will we get from Comcast in 2012. ON NH comcast thread, Comcast wants to finish Phase 1 and 2upgrade in Conn and VT before adding more HD in Mass. Also will basic analog be reduced or elminated in 2012 to male more room for HD?
post #8105 of 8564 Old 11-21-2011, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

I doubt that all of analog would be dead in 2012.

What I would argue though is eventually more will be shifted over.

First it was pay per views..then pay channels

Eventually I think you might see minor things switch over as to not tick people off.

Remember there's a difference between analog, digital and hd.

Minor channels probably won't get to be on hd for awhile. Most major ones have already switched. How much demand is there really for TBN in hd or WGN (outside of chicago)? OWN?

I think most analogs are now digital. There's plenty on digital that isn't in hd and it will take a long time before everything is. If the producer doesn't *make* it in hd then the concept would be pointless.
post #8106 of 8564 Old 11-21-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Before Comcast adds more HD channels they should be focused on adding TWC's IS2 and making the lHDl Feed localized (Marietta, GA seems to be the latest CC headend to acquire it)

Xbox Live: gt1racerlHDl
post #8107 of 8564 Old 11-30-2011, 05:32 PM

I've been having an odd problem for the last couple of weeks. I have a TiVo Series3, in Watertown, with CableCards. A couple of weeks ago I lost these channels: 802/808/814/915. It's not a CableCard issue since the TiVo reports lack of signal -- when it's a CC failure it's just a blank screen. I had a tech come over and he put a meter on the wire and said it all looked normal (and thus not Comcast's problem -- at least he didn't charge me for it). Then I had the idea to attach my cable to my TV and have it do a digital scan. Interestingly, of the over-the-air channels on the cable, it failed to tune exactly the set of channels that are missing on the TiVo: 2.1(802), 56.1 (808) and 38.1 (814). I should mention that the SD versions of these channels work fine.

So I was sure that something was wrong coming out of the wall, but here's the thing: I went down to the Comcast office and picked up one of their DVR boxes and plugged it into the wall, and that box DOES get the missing channels. So the only thing I can think of, with my limited knowledge, is that Comcast has started using SDV and I'm going to need whatever their switching box is that they're supposed to supply. On the other hand, I don't know if the symptom of SDV is missing video, or the wrong channel or something.

Anyway...anybody else seeing anything like this?
post #8108 of 8564 Old 12-01-2011, 11:57 AM

And now my problem has healed itself. Huh.
post #8109 of 8564 Old 12-01-2011, 09:44 PM

In Somerville, anyway, according to the postcard from Xfinity:

"Dear Valued Customer:

Effective 12/19/11, HBO Family HD on channel 772 and MoreMax HD on channel 776 will no longer be available."

Complete mystery -- how and why do they come to these decisions to provide less service? And in some communities but not others.
post #8110 of 8564 Old 12-02-2011, 07:42 PM

I need to get a new DVR for wkend place on lower Cape. What's the newest model I should ask for? Largest capacity, most reliable (ha!), etc.??
post #8111 of 8564 Old 12-03-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashford View Post

In Somerville, anyway, according to the postcard from Xfinity:

"Dear Valued Customer:

Effective 12/19/11, HBO Family HD on channel 772 and MoreMax HD on channel 776 will no longer be available."

Complete mystery -- how and why do they come to these decisions to provide less service? And in some communities but not others.

I actually never had HBO Family HD here in Natick. I think it was always available in some areas but not others. I just hope they replace them with different channels.
post #8112 of 8564 Old 12-08-2011, 06:53 PM

Anyone think Comcast here in Mass will ever add the YES Network or WGN America? All the other competitors Cox in RI, Direct, and Fios all have these 2 channels. I know many Comcast systems have WGN just not up here I guess. Hope we see more HD channels in 2012 not many added last couple years since that big update.Seems to me so many useless channels are added probably because they are cheap for Comcast to get a contract with.
post #8113 of 8564 Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 AM

Has anyone heard anything about channel 985? It's been showing up in my guide for the last few weeks, but no guide info or signal coming in on the channel. I did hear that something would be done by the end of the year, but there aren't any channels anywhere near 985 on the lineup, so I'm not sure what they would put there.
post #8114 of 8564 Old 12-12-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootJ View Post

Anyone think Comcast here in Mass will ever add the YES Network or WGN America?

I would hope they would in 2012 but sadly in Bristol County we don't even have WFXT-DT or WLVI-DT.

post #8115 of 8564 Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 AM

These regional sports networks are a joke. We know you can not watch live MLB,NBA, or NHL games on these channels, but there is still a lot of content that is still blacked out. SNY channel 128 blacks out classic Mets games and some Big East college basketball games. CSN Chicago 130 blacks out classic Cubs and Bulls games and even a hot stove show. Do you really need to black out a hot stove show which talks about the Cubs and White Sox off season moves. If you pay for a channel you should get all content on that channel. These blackout rules make these channels pretty much useless to even carry.
post #8116 of 8564 Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These regional sports networks are a joke. We know you can not watch live MLB,NBA, or NHL games on these channels, but there is still a lot of content that is still blacked out. SNY channel 128 blacks out classic Mets games and some Big East college basketball games. CSN Chicago 130 blacks out classic Cubs and Bulls games and even a hot stove show. Do you really need to black out a hot stove show which talks about the Cubs and White Sox off season moves. If you pay for a channel you should get all content on that channel. These blackout rules make these channels pretty much useless to even carry.

I agree that the regional blackout rules stink, i wish comcast would wake up and just remove them already.

One night they even had the Blackhawks vs Buffalo replay on the guide and i got to watch about 2 minutes of the commentating then the blackout notice came up.

post #8117 of 8564 Old 12-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Will we see any new HD channels from Comcast in 2012? They only added 2 in 2011. Will more analog band width be reclaimed in 2012?
post #8118 of 8564 Old 12-24-2011, 08:09 AM

i have WGN America on directv and i can tell you guys that there is no blackout on cubs/white sox games.
post #8119 of 8564 Old 12-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

I highly doubt that YES would come to pass..not when there is NESN (which actually doesn't have much of a budget)

there's WGN on analog..not sure if hd will come around

TBS has braves games.

In all honesty there's a slight way around blackouts...find the local affiliate for a game and listen to the audio streaming online.

In a sense there is going to be some significant lawsuits about what specifically is a market these days. I forgot the latest but someone is rebroadcasting over the air tv and saying that a broadcast is simply that. In selling sports packages it implies that you cannot receive these normally which is right...but with how easy it is to stream and how worldwide tv is would this really be pointless?

I caught game 7 in '08 of the nba playoffs...while in shanghai. Granted everyone wants a piece but it's just weird the way how this would go.

I used to have a friend whose father worked in broadcasting in NYC...there were some areas that could not get yankees games even though they lived right down the street (this was around 10 years ago)

Naturally the larger venues have a larger audience which pretty much means it is more likely to have a bigger broadcast. This year the superbowl is going to be streamed...The other odd thing to consider is that if sports are considered news then it takes away part of the news when they don't show it.
post #8120 of 8564 Old 01-01-2012, 04:01 AM

Boston Locals 2,4,5,7,25,38,56 out in Manchester Nh this am in sd and HD
Nh stations in Sd are out but can view HD 9 and 11

JIMMY
post #8121 of 8564 Old 01-21-2012, 10:19 AM

I was hoping to watch part of the Rutgers/Georgetown game on sny right now (noon Saturday) but it is blacked out with a message about how the game might be available on a sports package. I have been watching big east games on sny all season and this is the first time I have seen this message. Anyone know what the story is?
post #8122 of 8564 Old 01-21-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt1racer View Post

I agree that the regional blackout rules stink, i wish comcast would wake up and just remove them already.

One night they even had the Blackhawks vs Buffalo replay on the guide and i got to watch about 2 minutes of the commentating then the blackout notice came up.

Fios only has SNY and YES.

YES is a national feed and has no live stuff on it.

The guide for SNY lists "Programming not available" when a blacked out show is scheduled.
post #8123 of 8564 Old 01-22-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown13 View Post

I was hoping to watch part of the Rutgers/Georgetown game on sny right now (noon Saturday) but it is blacked out with a message about how the game might be available on a sports package. I have been watching big east games on sny all season and this is the first time I have seen this message. Anyone know what the story is?

I have also watched all the Big East games on SNY this year with no blackouts. I did not see the Rutgers/Gtown game you are talking about though. From what I understand Massachusetts is an ACC market because Boston College is an ACC team and all Big East games on SNY should NOT be blacked out. Last year most Big East games were blacked out on SNY because they had Massachusetts as a Big East market. I do not know if this was an error on Comcast part because SNY was a new channel on Massachusetts cable systems or because some Comcast customers in Mass live closer to Providence or Uconn which are Big East teams than they do Boston College. Mass, NH, Maine, and Vermont are ACC markets and RI and Connecticut are Big East markets. Either way Comcast needs to get SNY in HD the games look terrible in SD.
post #8124 of 8564 Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

It would be nice if there was some new channels announced for MA.

post #8125 of 8564 Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

and HD ones. Figure my bill is going up about $10/month with rate increase. Need FIOS in my complex
post #8126 of 8564 Old 01-25-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:

I have also watched all the Big East games on SNY this year with no blackouts. I did not see the Rutgers/Gtown game you are talking about though. From what I understand Massachusetts is an ACC market because Boston College is an ACC team and all Big East games on SNY should NOT be blacked out. Last year most Big East games were blacked out on SNY because they had Massachusetts as a Big East market. I do not know if this was an error on Comcast part because SNY was a new channel on Massachusetts cable systems or because some Comcast customers in Mass live closer to Providence or Uconn which are Big East teams than they do Boston College. Mass, NH, Maine, and Vermont are ACC markets and RI and Connecticut are Big East markets. Either way Comcast needs to get SNY in HD the games look terrible in SD.

Yeah, the more we thought about it we assumed it was because there was an ACC network game on 813 (or 814, maybe both) at noon also. Presumably the ACC pays for some sort of exclusive broadcast window in our area while the Big East does not. Perhaps we just hadn't tried to watch a game at that time on SNY before.

I agree on wanting the channel in HD, especially since its part of the SnE tier which costs more. If its a bandwidth thing, once the NFL season ends they could pull RedZone and add another HD channel from that tier between early January and early September. I'd even accept Speed HD.
post #8127 of 8564 Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello what is this "HD technology fee?"
I visited a friend who has Comcast and an HD box.
Now NO HD. not even of the locals.
Verizon is available as I have it
post #8128 of 8564 Old 02-01-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown13 View Post

I'd even accept Speed HD.

I'd happily lose ACC/etc games for FSCHD and SpeedHD.
post #8129 of 8564 Old 02-07-2012, 07:41 AM

I'm a former long time Comcast customer who switched to Fios about a year ago. A friend lives in South Plymouth old Adelphia area. Can someone tell me what's available for DVR equipment there? Hard drive size? Home DVR etc?

Someone on the phone told him the DVR in that area could only store like 8 hours of HD.
that can't be possible.....right?
post #8130 of 8564 Old 02-07-2012, 01:17 PM

Got a notice from Comcast saying that after April 10, we'll need digital equipment for everything, even to view the basic channels. So I assume we'll be going all digital here, thus paving the way for several new HD channels/features?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page