Boston, MA - Comcast - Page 274 - AVS Forum
First ... 272  273  274 275  276  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Boston, MA - Comcast
ftran999's Avatar ftran999 02:42 PM 04-17-2012
One of my father's TV's is an older analog TV with the cable hook directly to it. He uses it to only watch the broadcast channels 2-2?. However, because of the recent migration to all digital he no longer gets them. Am I correct to assume if he was to buy a newer TV with a built in digital tuner he can get the broadcast channels like before or does he need a DTA from Comcast?

Gt1racer's Avatar Gt1racer 12:56 PM 04-19-2012
Watching Game3 Channel 623 and the Cubs game is on WGN America!

if only the channel was officially carried by Comcast New England
chitchatjf's Avatar chitchatjf 02:18 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftran999 View Post

One of my father's TV's is an older analog TV with the cable hook directly to it. He uses it to only watch the broadcast channels 2-2?. However, because of the recent migration to all digital he no longer gets them. Am I correct to assume if he was to buy a newer TV with a built in digital tuner he can get the broadcast channels like before or does he need a DTA from Comcast?

Even better they would most likely come in HD (at least for the time being) However UHF channels would map to their off air designations. (Fox would be on 25-1 not 13.)
Gt1racer's Avatar Gt1racer 09:39 AM 04-21-2012
Just noticed Disney Juinor came 4/20 3 days early.
kessbrown's Avatar kessbrown 10:44 AM 04-23-2012
Did anyone else notice that Weatherscan (the channel that always shows the current radar) seems to have gone away? It was on channels 245/845 and now those channels are just re-broadcasts of TWC. Anyone know what's up?
bocmir's Avatar bocmir 11:34 AM 04-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

Even better they would most likely come in HD (at least for the time being) However UHF channels would map to their off air designations. (Fox would be on 25-1 not 13.)

Just wondering what you mean by "at least for the time being"?

Due to some financial changes recently, I had to cut out my cable service, saving me over $100 a month (though I will certainly miss it). When I called to cancel, the rep convinced me to go with Limited Basic since it would only cost me $2 more per month versus no TV service at all (with the increased internet cost). Since I have an HDTV with QAM tuner, I just hooked up the coax cable directly (which the rep actually told me to do) and am getting the same HD channels I can receive OTA, but it seems to be a better option without all the freezing and artifacting (I seem to be in a bad area of Brookline for reception).

I'm hoping I'll be able to continue getting these channels, but do you know anything about them eventually being encrypted? Sorry for being so daft — this is all completely new to me as of this morning!

EDIT: Well, I sort of had my question answered when I went to drop off my DVR at the service center today. The rep gave me a DTA without even saying anything. When I asked him about it, he said that Brookline customers will need one starting at the end of May. So, I'm assuming at that time, everything will be blocked from QAM. I guess I'll go back to trying to get better antenna reception, as I don't really want to revert back to SD broadcasts via the DTA.
Channel99's Avatar Channel99 08:59 PM 04-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kessbrown View Post

Did anyone else notice that Weatherscan (the channel that always shows the current radar) seems to have gone away? It was on channels 245/845 and now those channels are just re-broadcasts of TWC. Anyone know what's up?

It's still Weatherscan on 245/845 on Comcast Boston.
Gt1racer's Avatar Gt1racer 09:09 AM 04-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kessbrown View Post

i checked with TWC and i was told the Brockton Area WeatherScan froze around 3am on Friday morning and was taken off to fix the problem.

right now the WeatherScan Screensaver is rotating with music on both 245/845 and should return shortly.
ScootJ's Avatar ScootJ 08:01 PM 05-10-2012
New bill says channel 131 The Mountain West sports network will be gone on 6/1. Not a bad channel get live college football, basketball, and baseball. Channel is owned by Comcast so do not know why it is getting taken off. They finally finished the upgrade which would free 20 more HD channels and now we are losing channels?
MrMars's Avatar MrMars 12:25 PM 05-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootJ View Post

New bill says channel 131 The Mountain West sports network will be gone on 6/1. Not a bad channel get live college football, basketball, and baseball. Channel is owned by Comcast so do not know why it is getting taken off. They finally finished the upgrade which would free 20 more HD channels and now we are losing channels?

MTN is folding on 6/1, nothing to do with Comcast, the channel is going off the air.
ScootJ's Avatar ScootJ 02:41 PM 05-11-2012
Thanks for the info hope they replace it with another RSN owned by Comcast. Would like CSN Philly or CSN California.
mgpt6's Avatar mgpt6 10:38 AM 05-12-2012
Now that Comcast has dropped all analog, when will we see more HD channels?
Gt1racer's Avatar Gt1racer 05:26 PM 05-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpt6 View Post

This is the reply i got from the Director of PR for Xfinity Boston on Friday about the new HD list coming in June

Quote:

Hey Alex – yes in June– I may be able to share something sooner. Stay tuned! Have a good weekend.

mgpt6's Avatar mgpt6 04:22 PM 05-13-2012
Ch 2-23 and 95-99 were the last analog channels . That is 27 analog Channels. That could open up 54 HD channels if 2 per analog or 81 if 3 per analog. Doubt it would be over 60 with some of i going to Internet and some to ON-Demand.
Does anyone know if cable can use RF below 54 MHz which is analog CH.2?
PooperScooper's Avatar PooperScooper 04:50 AM 05-14-2012
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpt6 View Post

This is the reply i got from the Director of PR for Xfinity Boston on Friday about the new HD list coming in June

Quote:
Hey Alex – yes in June– I may be able to share something sooner. Stay tuned! Have a good weekend.

Hopefully we'll get the new Universal Sports Network HD channel.

larry
Gt1racer's Avatar Gt1racer 10:20 PM 05-16-2012
Looks like New Bedford/Fall River's All Digital Date changed

After June 19th 2012, equipment may be required to receive ALL channels including Limited Basic channels most of which are located between 2-22, 58 and 95.
Channel99's Avatar Channel99 09:39 PM 05-17-2012
Same date for the Boston / Brookline system. They are also offering up to 2 free digital basic service adapters.
bocmir's Avatar bocmir 09:34 AM 05-18-2012
I got that letter as well. I was pleased to see the small print at the bottom indicating that QAM tuners would continue to work with no additional equipment for Limited Basic channels, which is all I want/need. I'm only paying for it because it's a better option than going internet-only with Comcast, but it DOES work better than my antenna. Hopefully nothing changes in the future.
Gt1racer's Avatar Gt1racer 12:21 PM 05-18-2012
I hope we get to find out what the new HD's each area will get after the June 19th date.
robla64's Avatar robla64 08:48 PM 05-18-2012
Can anyone in Bristol County share cablecard expense fees. I have had one for years in a TiVo with no fee. With the digital conversion, I had picked up a conversion box and another cable card. The local office said no fee, but when the card didn't work, the customer support line said it was because there were no fees attached and now wants 7.45 a month I only have one other digital converter
drawz's Avatar drawz 10:04 PM 05-19-2012
Anyone else having trouble receiving Viacom HD channels in Cambridge?

(The Viacom part may be coincidence, but these are the missing channels).

I've had two service visits with no resolution. The tech insisted that it's a problem with the wiring in certain buildings, but there was nothing he could do. He invited me to speak to his supervisor, which I'll hopefully do Monday. If true, I'm extremely annoyed that their phone support didn't know this already when I called and we could have avoided two service visits.
Gt1racer's Avatar Gt1racer 11:16 AM 05-24-2012
Has anyone gotten the All Digital Letter in any city/town? i'm wondering because im about to update the Mass cable map with the June 19th All Digital date.
chitchatjf's Avatar chitchatjf 06:42 PM 05-24-2012
This HD technology fee bugs me.
My friend has an HD set AND an HD box yet they blocked off ALL of her HD channels EVEN THE LOCALS!
She gets the Digital starter tier.

THIS IS UNFAIR!
Channel99's Avatar Channel99 08:39 PM 05-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt1racer View Post

Has anyone gotten the All Digital Letter in any city/town? i'm wondering because im about to update the Mass cable map with the June 19th All Digital date.

Yes. The letter was also sent to customers on the Boston / Brookline system. The date is the same - June 19, and they are offering up to 2 free Digital Adapters.
Gt1racer's Avatar Gt1racer 11:40 PM 05-24-2012
Map updated (someone please let me know if Metro West and Western Mass have the same date also.)
LL
capecodguy's Avatar capecodguy 06:32 AM 06-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

This HD technology fee bugs me.
My friend has an HD set AND an HD box yet they blocked off ALL of her HD channels EVEN THE LOCALS!
She gets the Digital starter tier.

THIS IS UNFAIR!

I believe it's also illegal. I'm of the understanding that they are required to pass through all local broadcast channels in HD unencrypted, unless something has changed in the law.

That said, I'm hoping to fight back, and you folks should join me. I threatened to do this a couple of years ago, and finally gotten around to it, as it's an election year and maybe if enough people send this, it will gain some traction. Here's a copy of an email I sent to Sen. Scott Brown yesterday. Feel free to cut and paste it and send it yourself to:

https://www.scottbrown.senate.gov/pu....cfm/contactme

Quote:
I know there are other pressing issues than the one I'm going to delineate, but this is an issue that affects over 80 million US households. I'm speaking of the equipment monopoly enjoyed for years by the cable industry. Remember the days when the phone companies enjoyed the same situation, where every household had to lease their phone AND pay by the outlet? This was made illegal by the government, and the telecommunications industry flourished and a new industry was formed by telephone manufacturers. Phone features improved and prices plummeted, and millions of household saved money while tens of thousands of new jobs were created. Win/win, right?

Now we are in the exact same position with the cable industry. We are forced to pay monthly rental fees for set top boxes, DVRs, and additional outlets, when the technology exists where customers should be able to purchase these items on their own. I pay $12/mo.each for HD converter boxes that should cost, at most $100 each to purchase. I'm on my seventh year of doing this and I have three such units. ( My math indicates it's cost me over $3000 for $300 worth of equipment and there is no end in sight). My DVR is 5 years old, so I've paid $15/mo. or $880 for a box that should cost me around $200-$300. I also pay $5 per month for each HD outlet, although I own the wiring inside my house, just like my telephone wiring, and Comcast only brings one cable to the outside of my home. Same as Verizon for my four telephone outlets, yet I pay only one fee. And now, since the digital conversion, I am forced to use a DTA because Comcast, and others, used the excuse of digital conversion to encrypt their signals. The effect? All of our fancy new flat screen TVs with built-in digial HD tuners are obsolete. We can't use these tuners as we must use these DTA. So now my nice clean, wall mounted install with no wires showing has a cheap plastic box attached to be able to view TV I pay for, and have the built in ability to watch on my HD TV. Except that these DTAs, which are free to use, don't pass through an HD signal, so millions of Americans like me have to watch standard definition TV on our HD screens. Unless, of course, we pony up another $10/mo. for an HD box PLUS $5/mo. for the additional outlet fee.

So, no, this isn't as important as world peace, or the horrible job market, or even the war on terrorism, but is IS an issue that affects millions of Americans right in their pocketbook. And in an election year, especially in this weak economy, people will vote with their pocketbooks.

This is an issue that you, Sen. Brown, could champion and make a huge number of your constituancy very happy indeed. Do it and you'll have my vote for life.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Gt1racer's Avatar Gt1racer 05:45 PM 06-06-2012
Finally 13 days until Fall River's All Digital on June 19th
ssetta's Avatar ssetta 10:13 PM 06-06-2012
Did you get a list of channels?
Gt1racer's Avatar Gt1racer 07:58 AM 06-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssetta View Post

Did you get a list of channels?

I'll ask the Director of PR today.
Gt1racer's Avatar Gt1racer 08:25 AM 06-07-2012
Here's the reply i got

Thanks for your patience – I will have something to share next week.
First ... 272  273  274 275  276  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop