post #811 of 8561 Old 06-11-2007, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

I want to buy a 32" SONY HDTV for my cottage in South Yarmouth. The condo association only subscribes to extended basic. No digital. Anybody know if my digital set will get the ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. HD feeds through that cable? And if so how do I tune them in?

QAM tuners can get the digital feeds of everything in limited basic,including the HD channels.

Up in Lawrence 802 is 2-2,804 is 4-1,805 is 5-1,807 is 7-1,297 is 7-2,825 is 25-1,838 is 38-1,209 is 44-2,237 is 44-3,217 is 44-4,856 is 56-1,and for some weirs reason 809 is 75-89.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 8561 Old 06-11-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could someone please tell me how many HD channels you get on Comcast cable if you don't subscribe to any premium services?

Thanks.

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #813 of 8561 Old 06-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarque View Post

Could someone please tell me how many HD channels you get on Comcast cable if you don't subscribe to any premium services?

Thanks.

http://www.comcast.com/customers/clu/ChannelLineup.ashx

The print at the bottom explains what level of subscription is needed for certain HD channels.

Denon AVR-X2000------>Def Tech PM1000's------>Def Tech PC2000------->Sub(TBD)
Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS3

post #814 of 8561 Old 06-12-2007, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

I want to buy a 32" SONY HDTV for my cottage in South Yarmouth. The condo association only subscribes to extended basic. No digital. Anybody know if my digital set will get the ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. HD feeds through that cable? And if so how do I tune them in?

This depends on whether your condo receives a unique lineup, which is less than likely. If it were a college then maybe, but a condo, probably not. If your condo can get channels 24-70 cable direct then you're getting the channels which would typically be trapped (removed) in a basic broadcast service level and therefore you're probably getting the entire lineup which would include the local hi defs which are generally located above channel 70. There used to be a test carrier on the highest channel transmitted, channel 116 or 117. Tuning a cable ready tv to this channel would result in just a black screen. If this is a channel that you can tune to and you get a clear black screen then there are no traps or filters removing channels in the high end of the cable system and you should get the local hi defs.
post #815 of 8561 Old 06-12-2007, 06:58 AM

Is anyone else still having problems with their digital channels in the southern MA area (Attleboro)? Several of the non-HD digital channels, including the HBO's, are coming in pixalated with audio drops or no audio at all.

I called Comcast and they said they had issues last week due to a fire (?) but should be cleared up by now.... I wanted to see if anyone else was still having the same issue.

Vijay
post #816 of 8561 Old 06-12-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motortree View Post

This depends on whether your condo receives a unique lineup, which is less than likely. If it were a college then maybe, but a condo, probably not. If your condo can get channels 24-70 cable direct then you're getting the channels which would typically be trapped (removed) in a basic broadcast service level and therefore you're probably getting the entire lineup which would include the local hi defs which are generally located above channel 70. There used to be a test carrier on the highest channel transmitted, channel 116 or 117. Tuning a cable ready tv to this channel would result in just a black screen. If this is a channel that you can tune to and you get a clear black screen then there are no traps or filters removing channels in the high end of the cable system and you should get the local hi defs.

There dosen't seem to be a test carrier on that channel anymore. The filter that traps channels 24-69 only seems to block out analog channels. At one time i was getting Digital Platinum withOUT extended basic.
post #817 of 8561 Old 06-12-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Comcast Boston HD Channel Lineup
=====================================================
Based on lineup in Lawrence Ma 06-12-07
=====================================================
Channel Network Tier required
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
802 PBS HD channel Basic (2-2)
804 WBZ (CBS) Basic (4-1)
805 WCVB (ABC) Basic (5-1)
807 WHDH (NBC) Basic (7-1)
809 WMUR (ABC) Basic (75-89)
821 National Geo Starter (Despite National Geo SD on Classic)
825 WFXT (Fox) Basic (25-1)
828 MHD Starter AND Classic
832 HGTV HD Starter
833 TNT Classic
837 AnE Starter
838 WSBK Basic (38-1)
839 Discovery HD Theater Classic
846 Universal HD Classic
848 Verses / Golf HD Starter
849 ESPN Classic
850 ESPN 2 Starter
851 NESN Starter
854 Food HD Starter
856 WLVI (CW) Basic (56-1)
868 Cinemax Cinemax
870 HBO HBO
875 Starz Starz
877 Showtime Showtime
881 Mojo / FSN-HD Classic
post #818 of 8561 Old 06-12-2007, 06:15 PM

I have a newer Samsung 42" TV and I can't seem to get the aspect on my television to stretch for non-HD channels. I talked to a guy who said there was a way to have the aspect automatically change on non-HD channels thru my cable box. Does anyone know how to do this?
post #819 of 8561 Old 06-12-2007, 07:10 PM

My TV has a QAM turner, will I need an HD STB to recieve encrypted channels?

I have the Digital Preferred package so all HDTV channels should be available.
post #820 of 8561 Old 06-12-2007, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRed View Post

I have a newer Samsung 42" TV and I can't seem to get the aspect on my television to stretch for non-HD channels. I talked to a guy who said there was a way to have the aspect automatically change on non-HD channels thru my cable box. Does anyone know how to do this?

Hit Power and then Menu within 1 second. You will get a setup menu that lets you control screen format, HD output format and 4:3 override. The last one is what you want to tweak. Depending on which box you have you will see options like 480p, 480i, Stretch etc. Use the arrow keys to get to the 4:3 row and right arrow to toggle settings. Hit Power when done and wait for the display to come back up. Hit Power again to bring up the box and check your results. I use 480p since my TV will switch from 1080i HD to 480p upconverted SD automatically. I prefer wide heads to black bars.

chitchatjf - thanks for the list.

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #821 of 8561 Old 06-12-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveBeyond View Post

My TV has a QAM turner, will I need an HD STB to recieve encrypted channels?

I have the Digital Preferred package so all HDTV channels should be available.

Unless your tv has a cablecard installed and activated you will require a cable box to receive encrypted channels. The only channels which you should expect to see unencrypted are generally local broadcast channels.
post #822 of 8561 Old 06-13-2007, 02:02 PM

NFL Network moving to the sports package for an extra $7.95/month on Comcast. This is getting real old, real fast the extra fees and increases.

I spend enough money already every month. I am going to look into Verizon or switching back to Directv.
post #823 of 8561 Old 06-13-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

The only thing worth having on NFL Network is Thursday night football. And any Patriots games would be simulcasted on channel 5 most likely. So they can keep it.
post #824 of 8561 Old 06-13-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sigh. So I finally had a tech come over and all he did was test the strength of the line with his little doo-dad/DOCIS modem thingy and concluded it's my modem because my modem was decertified (even though it's still (Toshiba PCX1100) on the recommended list) and I need to buy a new one. Needless to say I will kill someone if I buy a new modem and the problem still exists.

So, what's the best modem to pick up? I've been looking at the Surfboard SB5101 for ~$50 on eBay.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #825 of 8561 Old 06-13-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyowl View Post

NFL Network moving to the sports package for an extra $7.95/month on Comcast. This is getting real old, real fast the extra fees and increases.

I spend enough money already every month. I am going to look into Verizon or switching back to Directv.

me too f&^$ this

got my notice July 13 it goes, I'll be gone by then or will be stealing it

my bill was $82 a year ago and will be $100 if I want to keep NFL network

20% increase
post #826 of 8561 Old 06-13-2007, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Sigh. So I finally had a tech come over and all he did was test the strength of the line with his little doo-dad/DOCIS modem thingy and concluded it's my modem because my modem was decertified (even though it's still (Toshiba PCX1100) on the recommended list) and I need to buy a new one. Needless to say I will kill someone if I buy a new modem and the problem still exists.

So, what's the best modem to pick up? I've been looking at the Surfboard SB5101 for ~$50 on eBay.

If you don't believe its your modem, why don't you get a modem from a Comcast service center. If there is a change then the tech was right & at that point you can be assured your not wasting your $. If it doesn't change a thing then they will come back & can't blame any of your equipment.
post #827 of 8561 Old 06-13-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Supreme View Post

If you don't believe its your modem, why don't you get a modem from a Comcast service center. If there is a change then the tech was right & at that point you can be assured your not wasting your $. If it doesn't change a thing then they will come back & can't blame any of your equipment.

Good idea, but I wish they would have brought something more substantial so I would have known for sure.

Considering my modem is like 8-9yrs old I suppose I got my money's worth and it's time for me to upgrade anyways. I found someone selling a new Surfboard SB5101 (Motorola's newest) on eBay for $45 shipped. Good enough. If I'm still having problems afterwards I'll call up and bitch.

post #828 of 8561 Old 06-13-2007, 08:07 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2baseball View Post

me too f&^$ this

got my notice July 13 it goes, I'll be gone by then or will be stealing it

my bill was $82 a year ago and will be $100 if I want to keep NFL network

20% increase

I actually spoke to DirecTV yesterday...they are offering a father's day package that includes NFL Sunday Ticket all winter long with most the games in HD. I don't believe they are advertising it, so you may have to ask. I'd switch but I live in a condo complex that outlaws dishes Apparently they do have all the locals and NESNHD/FSNHD.

They are also still promising the 150 HD channels by the end of the year. Many of which I'm sure will be pure crap!

The one thing I don't know is how the quality compares to Comcast. I had heard they were compressing at one point, anyone know if this is still going on?
post #829 of 8561 Old 06-13-2007, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

All I want is HDNet. $3 HDNet/Movies package where are you?

post #830 of 8561 Old 06-13-2007, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

if I were NFL network I would play hardball. Move to digital starter during the season or lose consent to retransmit NFL games!
(or at least the HD games)
post #831 of 8561 Old 06-13-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM22681 View Post

I actually spoke to DirecTV yesterday......I'd switch but I live in a condo complex that outlaws dishes......

FYI, your condo complex cannot outright prohibit small TV reception dishes like DirecTV, per the FCC. I live in a complex that had to give up on this issue, nobody wanted to allow dishes but the lawyers basically told them they would not win.

Basically, as long as it is not a safety hazard, and you have an area exclusive to you that it can be mounted on (i.e. a porch or balcony), a dish cannot be prohibited. Follow this link for all the details: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Good luck!
-Mike
post #832 of 8561 Old 06-14-2007, 02:53 AM

Note the following in the provided link. (These are the restrictions that prevent DBS in our condo community.)
Quote:

The rule does not apply to common areas, such as the roof, the hallways, the walkways or the exterior walls of a condominium or apartment building. Restrictions on antennas installed in these common areas are not covered by the Commission's rule. For example, the rule would not apply to restrictions that prevent drilling through the exterior wall of a condominium or rental unit and thus restrictions may prohibit installation that requires such drilling.

While half of us have limited-common space "facing in the correct direction", we still would need to run coax into the building somehow, and drilling is prohibited. The other half are worse off -- their limited-common space faces the exact wrong direction.
post #833 of 8561 Old 06-14-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Note the following in the provided link. (These are the restrictions that prevent DBS in our condo community.)While half of us have limited-common space "facing in the correct direction", we still would need to run coax into the building somehow, and drilling is prohibited. The other half are worse off -- their limited-common space faces the exact wrong direction.

flat cables solve that problem. and they don't suffer from significant signal loss as has been commented.
post #834 of 8561 Old 06-15-2007, 01:06 AM

I'm not sure how leaky your house is, but I don't see how flat cable will solve anything here. When someone closes the front door, my ears pop!
post #835 of 8561 Old 06-15-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM22681 View Post

I actually spoke to DirecTV yesterday...they are offering a father's day package that includes NFL Sunday Ticket all winter long with most the games in HD. I don't believe they are advertising it, so you may have to ask. I'd switch but I live in a condo complex that outlaws dishes Apparently they do have all the locals and NESNHD/FSNHD.

They are also still promising the 150 HD channels by the end of the year. Many of which I'm sure will be pure crap!

The one thing I don't know is how the quality compares to Comcast. I had heard they were compressing at one point, anyone know if this is still going on?

if you're serious about moving to DTV, call up comcast retention (usually get them when you request a cancellation/ change in your package). tell them you're leaving because of NFL Network moving to the sports tier (and therefore costing you more), and see if they'll give it to you + maybe other stuff for free for a year. They'll usually give you something to keep you.

If they don't, well you were going to leave anyways....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #836 of 8561 Old 06-15-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly5 View Post

if you're serious about moving to DTV, call up comcast retention (usually get them when you request a cancellation/ change in your package). tell them you're leaving because of NFL Network moving to the sports tier (and therefore costing you more), and see if they'll give it to you + maybe other stuff for free for a year. They'll usually give you something to keep you.

If they don't, well you were going to leave anyways....

NFL Network is not even close to having 75% of the NFL games in HD
post #837 of 8561 Old 06-17-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I have Dig Prem with SnE so come July 13th I will still see some football on 265.

I am still not too keen about this move.

I still see the 2011 super bowl on NFL Network!
post #838 of 8561 Old 06-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Wonder if Comcast will try to keep up with Direct TV and FIOS with the new HD channels that will go online in Q3 2007-Q12008. If they are, we should see a couple of more analogs going to digital only later this year.
post #839 of 8561 Old 06-21-2007, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I would have 44 channels go all digital with another 26 on deck for the end of next year.
post #840 of 8561 Old 06-21-2007, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Question: I've been using a 3416 box for quite a while, but just got a couple of the little DCT-700 boxes installed on some secondary TVs in the house last week.

Up here in NH, we get WCSH from Portland ME (NBC) on channel 6. Well, this is the case for the 3416 anyway. For some reason the DCT-700 boxes don't have WCSH on channel 6. Instead, in the channel guide it's something called "Educational channel".

Anyone know why there would be this discrepancy between the 3416 and the DCT-700's? I thought they were both digital only boxes?

"If you're not passing anyone, get the hell out of the passing lane!"
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page