Boston, MA - Comcast - Page 286 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8551 of 8561 Old 06-30-2014, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi all, we live in West Roxbury and have been Comcast subscribers for many years. We have 3 cable boxes right now, all of which have coaxial outputs. None of the boxes have HDMI outputs. We would like to upgrade to HD and connect to the HDMI ports on our TVs. What should we expect to gain/lose? Are there different boxes available to choose from? What should we ask for?
thanks
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8552 of 8561 Old 07-01-2014, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So this seems odd..maybe someone call tell me what I'm missing....

In my current bill there's a note that says that two stations I dont watch -- Hallmark (71, 208 and HD907) and EWTN (56 & 238) -- "will no longer be available on Digital Preferred (what I have) but will continue to be available on Expanded Basic."

Since when are there channels that Expanded basic customers receive that Digital Preferred don't? I dont care about these two channels, only about what this might mean down the road.
post #8553 of 8561 Old 07-01-2014, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Very strange. Maybe wait a week or two and see if you can still get those channels.
post #8554 of 8561 Old 07-01-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekanenh View Post

Since when are there channels that Expanded basic customers receive that Digital Preferred don't? I dont care about these two channels, only about what this might mean down the road.

To have preferred you must have expanded basic. The only change is you don't have to get preferred if those were the only channels you wanted.
post #8555 of 8561 Old 07-02-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Supreme View Post
To have preferred you must have expanded basic. The only change is you don't have to get preferred if those were the only channels you wanted.
That makes sense. Just a poorly-worded message, I suppose. I'll see how it shakes out.
post #8556 of 8561 Old 07-23-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A friend with an HD set and an SD-DTA (He only has limited basic) recently asked about the HD-DTA while Comcast was at his house fixing something with the reception.

They said that he didn't need it and refused to give him one
post #8557 of 8561 Old 07-23-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post
A friend with an HD set and an SD-DTA (He only has limited basic) recently asked about the HD-DTA while Comcast was at his house fixing something with the reception.

They said that he didn't need it and refused to give him one
I could understand that he wasn't given one if it wasn't on the order. Most likely he didn't have any extra. Your friend can pick one up at the service center. They have them in stock there.
post #8558 of 8561 Old 07-23-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Supreme View Post
I could understand that he wasn't given one if it wasn't on the order. Most likely he didn't have any extra. Your friend can pick one up at the service center. They have them in stock there.
I have been saying that to him for quite some time.
The general attitude seemed to indicate that SD is fine.

IMHO SD is NOT fine on an HD set.

I am surprised that Comcast just doesn't go ahead and say (at least in non FIOS communities) that Limited Basic and Digital Economy are SD only tiers.
post #8559 of 8561 Old 08-24-2014, 09:30 PM

So for those that live in MA and have Comcast, what have been your experiences? I have been hearing and reading the absolute worst stories online, and I can't quite tell if that's the norm and Comcast is just a large but poorly run company when it comes to serving its customers, or if the people who are upset are just voicing their complaints very loud.

I have DirecTv and am happy with it. With that said, I have DSL Internet that is, at best, a 5 Mbps download speed. We have Verizon, can't get Fios, and can't get anything else either--not Cox, Charter, Uverse, etc.

So my interest in moving to Comcast is first inspired by their better Internet speeds, about I'm also willing to move to Comcast for TV too. I guess either just Comcast Internet or Comcast TV and Internet would be fine, dependent on the price, but again, my biggest concern above really anything is having to deal with awful, frustrating customer service. Because I have to say, I have no problems with DirecTv or Verizon in that area. They have always been helpful, both on the phone and the people who come to the home.

Any thoughts or experiences would be great.

Thanks.
post #8560 of 8561 Old 08-25-2014, 12:14 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan2006 View Post
So for those that live in MA and have Comcast, what have been your experiences? I have been hearing and reading the absolute worst stories online, and I can't quite tell if that's the norm and Comcast is just a large but poorly run company when it comes to serving its customers, or if the people who are upset are just voicing their complaints very loud.

I have DirecTv and am happy with it. With that said, I have DSL Internet that is, at best, a 5 Mbps download speed. We have Verizon, can't get Fios, and can't get anything else either--not Cox, Charter, Uverse, etc.

So my interest in moving to Comcast is first inspired by their better Internet speeds, about I'm also willing to move to Comcast for TV too. I guess either just Comcast Internet or Comcast TV and Internet would be fine, dependent on the price, but again, my biggest concern above really anything is having to deal with awful, frustrating customer service. Because I have to say, I have no problems with DirecTv or Verizon in that area. They have always been helpful, both on the phone and the people who come to the home.

Thanks.
I've had it for a year in Winthrop, MA and if use asked me when I first got it I would tell you to run but it seems they have worked most of the bugs out of it now and I find it to be acceptable. I haven't had any issues for awhile but I hate to jinx myself.
post #8561 of 8561 Old 08-30-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan2006 View Post

Thanks.
I've had Comcast in Boston now for almost 10 years. For the last 7 years I've lived in a house with 4 others. Early on we had multiple cable boxes but I've since switched to CableCard with our MythTV setup since Comcast offered CableCards. We used to have the basic internet package but have recently switched to the 105 Blast! service. While we've had random outages, they were area system outages and they never lasted that long. We used to have an issue with signal strength that took 3 service visits to resolve, the first guy verified that the issue existed and said he would replace cables and connectors from the drop to our distribution amp, which he said may help and to give it a week to see how it goes. It didn't help, the next guy came out, verified, and said he'd put in for a service to have our drop replaced, which did, finally, fix it. Other than that, our experience with customer service has been fine, none of the big problems people complain about. We even got advantage of the speed bumps to the regular internet service over time before we decided that with 5 people it was worth the extra money to pay for the faster internet speed.

My only complaint is not with service but with the continued insistence to carry only the non-HD versions of channels that have HD streams. That said, from what I've seen, RCN isn't any better with this, so switching doesn't help.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page